Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fomorian Berserker - Mentor spirit needed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
For the Troll physad is just started playing, i chose the mentor spirit "bear". Not only because of the benefits (chars name is "Tank") but also for the fact that it is a protector for his friends (this is what the char was designed for). But i usually dislike this shamanic-pagan animal-stuff and besides that i donīt like bears. They are too fluffy and they donīt look cool.^^ So what could alternatively fit for a char. based in Europe? Is there another mentor that has the same benefits from another tradition? Or at least a fitting animal that looks cool? A wolverine? Or maybe an awakened animal? Please help me, and the coolness of our gaming world.^^
Ard3
Mentors are not tradition specific, the fluff is only an example. You can freely change it.
I recommend looking at "The many faces of mentor spirits" Street Magic p.183

If you like the mechanics of mentor, take it and change fluff to suit character.

For example the Sun mentor could represent Ra for egyptian practitioner, archangel Michael for christian theurge or Apollo for greek one. Or simply sun, as a glowing ball of light, to a some one else.
Mechanically the same but all see mentor in different light and probably focus on different aspect of mentor.
And all would protest if you said Ra = Michael = Apollo = that light up there.

You could for example refluff as a ideal of loyalty. "I am a easygoing guy, but touch my friends and whoopass ensues."
Machiavelli
Ok, but what would you propose? What are examples for equivalent mentors for bear? Or do you know some better fitting animal? Basically bear is a quite good mentor for a big troll, but there has to be something better.^^ Wolverines are cool, but too small. This would be cool for a dwarf....besides dwarfes are lame.^^
Ard3
Well it doesn't have to be animal. It could also be any god, saint, spirit, ancestor, ideal, loa, basically anything.

Only example of bear in street magic is Artemis/Diana for classical pantheon.

I really cant recommend mentor for your character, because mentor depends heavily on character.
What does your character believe in? What is his worldview? What is his religion, if he belongs to a one?
What kind of ideal/theme/animal/totem/spirit/code/moral he would choose or follow? And what kind of mentor would be interested in him?

Think thoroughly and answer these, then look on the internet(google/wikipedia) what would suit him.
Seriously Mike
Dude, what do you have against bears? Everything's Worse With Bears, so make sure it's worse for your opponents. Also, we DO have bears in Europe, and they're still thousand-and-half-pounds motherfuckers that can be as tall as ten feet while standing on the rear paws.
Whatever the Canadians tell you about grizzly bears is generally true about European bears too.
Machiavelli
Bears are ok, but they look so plump (i know they arenīt) and these tiny tail makes them look more funny than cool. It is just a feeling...like bobcats look strange, tigers and all other big cats are awesome. Sharks cool, apes NOT.^^ Etc. pp.
Makki
My troll druide was designed to be the team's protector, too. Logically I chose mentor spirit Oak. Won't make much sense for a Phys-ad, though. You're always allowed to switch fluff text around or just give it another name. That's RAW.
Machiavelli
Yeah, Oak would be good for a rather static character-class. But for a physad it should be a bit more mobile. Why arentīt there any awakened mentor spirits left besides drake? Griffin could be a good mentor spirit. Protector, big, strong....maybe i play with this thought.
Jhaiisiin
Gryphon (as listed in Street Magic) is a guardian, noble and a charismatic leader... not sure that's a good fit for your troll adept.
Machiavelli
I wouldnīt choose Griffin for being a noble leader, i would choose it because of size and strenght.^^ But it would only be a compromise and i was rather looking for something that fits like i fist fits the eye....aaaahm...german saying....it would fit like chalk and cheese. Does somebody know an awakened critter that could fit? Mythological monster e.g.?
Have you thought about, "Berserker?"
Machiavelli
As what? Mentor? Did i miss something? ^^

Letīs come to something completely different: if i am going to get "elemental strike", which one would you take for a berserker?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Nov 26 2011, 07:02 AM) *
As what? Mentor? Did i miss something? ^^

Letīs come to something completely different: if i am going to get "elemental strike", which one would you take for a berserker?

I believe that 3278 was suggesting "Beserker" as a menotr Spirit, yes.
As for Elemental Strike and a Beserker. I would go for Blast (With Force calculated by Adepts Magic Rating) myself.
Makki
There's a Greater Wolverine in Running Wild.
The greater wolverine is a squat and heavily
muscled Awakened variant of the wolverine (Gulo gulo). Visually,
it differs from the mundane version primarily in size, growing up
to 90 centimeters at the shoulder and over 2 meters in length. Its
dense musculature can contribute to a weight in excess of 100
kilograms.

Your problem is, you want a huge animal, that is also very aggressive. However, usually the larger an animal, the less aggressive they are. Except for hippos.
I still think bear is fine. Protector animals are pack animals like wolves.
Machiavelli
No, basically i want a big predator, not necessarily an agressive one. Bears have the wanted size, but not the look. A big cat would be fine, but lion and tiger donīt exist in northern europe. So i am a little bit in trouble. So mystical/awakened creatures came to mind. But i really donīt find something that fits.
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Nov 27 2011, 01:39 PM) *
A big cat would be fine, but lion and tiger donīt exist in northern europe.

Well, not now, but it wasn't that long ago.

Personally, I'd go with saber-toothed tiger: Running Wild says they're native to North America, but there's no reason their range shouldn't include Europe, since they lived there, as I say, not that long ago. They're predatory, get real angry if you poke them, and are indeed a big cat.
Mardrax
How's wyvern sound? Or sea serpent/leviathan for that matter?
Ard3
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Nov 27 2011, 02:39 PM) *
A big cat would be fine, but lion and tiger donīt exist in northern europe.

Lynx? Not big enough?
Machiavelli
No ^^
Jhaiisiin
Ummm.. How about a variation on dog? Loyal, protector, etc. Except specifically pick the Tibetan Mastiff. Take a look at this image:

http://www.thedogsbreeds.com/gallery/tibet...n_mastiff_3.jpg

Also, if you want an extinct species, there is the European lion. Basically a huge cave lion.
Machiavelli
Cave Lion....we are coming closer. I think i will take this one. Perfect, thank you. Does anybody have another proposal for an elemental strike for this character?
Makki
maybe Ice, because it's cold in the mountains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hoehlenl...ion_hharder.jpg
or Sound assuming he roars while using it.
Machiavelli
I also thought about sound, but i really have no clue how "hands are surrounded by a visible effect of the chosen element" look like, if you choose sound as elemental effect. Do you simply make noise all the time? Humming? How loud is it? Could it rather be some kind of vibration like they used in "Dune"?
Ard3
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Nov 29 2011, 11:34 AM) *
I also thought about sound, but i really have no clue how "hands are surrounded by a visible effect of the chosen element" look like, if you choose sound as elemental effect. Do you simply make noise all the time? Humming? How loud is it? Could it rather be some kind of vibration like they used in "Dune"?

Ripple in the air? Think heatwave or predator camouflage kind effect. Add low humming and crack of air when you hit something.

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Nov 29 2011, 05:53 AM) *
Ummm.. How about a variation on dog? Loyal, protector, etc. Except specifically pick the Tibetan Mastiff. Take a look at this image:

http://www.thedogsbreeds.com/gallery/tibet...n_mastiff_3.jpg

Also, if you want an extinct species, there is the European lion. Basically a huge cave lion.

[offtopic]
Hmmm...
Did anyone else think of Mouse from Dresden Files when you saw the picture, especially with this topic?
[/offtopic]
Makki
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Nov 29 2011, 11:34 AM) *

Obviously Sound as an element is not visible, but hearable.
I'd say noise level depends on its force. Force for adepts equals Magic. No book reference here, just a gentlemen agreement.
Machiavelli
Would be a fair solution. It is basically the best elemental effect, so being a little bit more obvious than the other ones is ok for me. But how loud is "magic 4"? What would you propose? I would say "force 3" can be compared to a vibroblade while "sustained", if you strike it would be compared to a shot. Magic 6 could be like a car in idle-mode and a sonic boom when striking.
Ard3
Well generic rule for noticing magic is that threshold for perception check is 6 - force.
Machiavelli
I could live with that.^^
NiL_FisK_Urd
You could also choose "Fenrir Wolf" as Mentor - they have Body 7.
"It is highly resistant to magic, strong beyond its size, able to crush bone in its jaws, and the most feared predator in Europe."
Machiavelli
I was thinking about switching "bear" to "thor" with the same advantages (i simply ignore what Street Magic proposes). So i could choose sound (thunder) and electricity (you know) as elemental strike while staying in the "role" i play. But trolls in scandinavian mythology are basically the opposite to the asgardians....so fenrir wolf is good. Sound element "roar"....finish.^^
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE (Ard3 @ Nov 29 2011, 04:05 AM) *
[offtopic]
Hmmm...
Did anyone else think of Mouse from Dresden Files when you saw the picture, especially with this topic?
[/offtopic]

JB has stated that the tan tibetan mastiff breed is the basis for Mouse. wink.gif
Jazz
@OP : ask your GM if he can make you the boar as a mentor spirit. That would more fit a celtic origin.
They are symbols of invicibility and have other mystic aspects.

Guys, you are all getting confuse with viking mythology, that have very few in common with the celtic one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomori
Machiavelli
I hope you are ashamed to make our life even more complicated. ^^ Thank you. At least i was completely wrong, you are correct with that.
GM Lich
I don't know OP Fomorian Beserker Hippomaster sounds pretty cool grinbig.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Nov 29 2011, 03:07 PM) *
JB has stated that the tan tibetan mastiff breed is the basis for Mouse. wink.gif
And here I always thought he was a Dogasaurus... nyahnyah.gif
Jhaiisiin
That's not a dogasaurus?? Have you seen the size of that breed? I definitely consider that dogasaurus rex.
CanRay
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Dec 3 2011, 06:51 AM) *
That's not a dogasaurus?? Have you seen the size of that breed? I definitely consider that dogasaurus rex.
Which got to rid on Sue, the Zombie T-Rex. biggrin.gif
Jhaiisiin
Most awesome zombie. EVER.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012