Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul's Real Life Game Journal: Game 6
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paul
Okay this will be the game I run tomorrow. If you're a player in my game I ask that you not read the adventure ahead of time.
Paul
The Behind the curtains stuff for the game that will occur tomorrow:

[ Spoiler ]
Paul
I'll remove the spoiler tags after we game. I welcome commentary and questions!
Paul
So in some ways this game was a goat rodeo-but not because of anything the players did wrong. We hit some rules ambiguity and learned a few lessons-which seems to be par for the course but with out further ado the after action report:

Firstly we ended up with five people at the table-a pretty rare but fun treat! So our Dramatis Personae:

• Maxsym: A drone rigger, who also happens to be (Currently this is unknown to the other PC's) medically infirm, crippled, and a video game aficionado.
  • Django: An eleven trailer trash hillbilly who's a maestro with the handgun.
  • D-Train: The teams face, a grifter, a part time dealer and full time likable guy.
  • Spence-our half Japanese firearms adept.
  • Charlie: Portrayed by our brand new addition guest player-a guy who' hadn't played SR since 1st edition-but who has played in other systems-Charlie is an ex-military type from our pool of characters.

We started the game with Spence being approached by the Yakuza, whom he is in debt to, and being offered a chance to sell out the team in exchange for better standing with the local Gumi, and perhaps a reduction in his debt. Spence stalls for time, letting them think that he's considering their offer.

At the meet the PC's are introduced to locals from Darrington, who appeal to the groups sense of civic responsibility. They outline the job, and they state that they won't be party to a massacre, so they want the team to damage and destroy equipment, and generally make the operation too unprofitable to continue. Combined with a knowing look from their fixer they settle on taking the job but for less than they'd have normally tried to charge. (In part this influenced by the groups environmentally sympathetic feelings, and their anti-corporate beliefs.) After the locals split the fixer reveals that he's planning on using several old gold mines in Darrington as secure storage sites for a variety of illicit goods coming in and out of Seattle, so he'll pick up the rest of their tab if they need it that way, or remember them when it comes time. They settle on the latter.

One thing the locals provide them with is temporary work visas that will help with the border crossing-but they'r upfront with the fact that they can't help get anything serious across the border. (LMG's, explosives, etc...) After doing some research on the region the PC's settle on a pretty simple ruse. They purchase hunting permits for several in season species, and procure hunting and camping supplies to help flesh out their cover. They also do some background work on the TBM-the mining company and discover that they tend to use mercenary's as security and that this site is on a time limit with the Sovereign Tribal Council and their parent corporation Mitsuhama-they have two weeks to complete construction, and show that they can operate with in a certain budget they'll have to close down.

They push a drone forward to monitor the area-and it manages to get some okay aerial footage. They try to get a line on some personnel but because the operation is so new they aren't successful. They also do a lot of research on border crossings trying to find the sweet spot. A place that has a high personnel turnover, bad weather, and a remote location. Armed with all that they secure a truck and load up-spending some time hiding equipment, and head out. A pretty pathetic set of die rolls on my part means they manage to cross with out too much problems, and make their way into Darrington.

Once there they settle on a course of guerrilla action, and find a local guide to help them make their way up into the mountains, and luckily the weather is just poor. They use this as cover to make their way up. An encounter with some awakened wild life later they managed to get into position. It's here we discovered what a sniper with great cover and concealment and a plan can do! (I got my ass handed to me!) They start with equipment damage-small stuff-lighting, water pumps, locking devices, etc...But then decide that they're going to try and tap into the central wireless network after Maxsym starts subverting and accessing the wireless network. Here's where we hit a series of bumps-woof the rigging and hacking rules are just organized like crap.

Charlie and Django move in, while covered by Spence. Charlie manages to sneak in, and install the dataline tap but is spotted by a spirit that's tasked with guarding that area. Combat ensues and this ends up with them basically setting off several astral alarms, which alerts the Merc teams mage. As the Mercs scramble the teams Sniper, Spence, puts a few rounds into their vehicle which gives the rest of the team time to exfiltrate. However this is compromised by drone pursuit. The team manages to drop the drones, and in what's an epic set of rolls on both sides Spence manages to nail the Merc teams chopper as it's lifting off.

The team manages to pull up stakes, and get out of sight for now. Having found a tactic they feel comfortable with it was only a matter of time before they just jacked costs up way too high, and the Merc's whistle up reinforcements. They manage to splash one more helo-loaded with equipment and men, and decide to head out fo the area of operations into Darrington, where they discover they've succeeded in their goal.

They did a great job of planning this one. I got my ass handed to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012