Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S.O.X. in English?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tashiro
I'd love to get my hands on this book, but I've no idea how to read French or German. Anyone know if / when it'll be translated to English, or has anyone actually taken the effort to fan-translate?
Stalag
Here you go:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...3763enr.tst.pdf

(har har har XD )
Tashiro
QUOTE (Stalag @ Nov 25 2011, 01:07 PM) *

nyahnyah.gif Good one. smile.gif
snowRaven
1) Get the french pdf
2) use translation software
3) Be prepared to re-arrange/re-write a lot of it so it makes sense...

That said:

Does anyone know if the german-only books are available in pdf anywhere? (REAL pdfs, NOT crappy, foul, scanned pirate-copies)

I'm talking mainly about: 'Münich Noir', 'SOX', 'Berlin', and 'Blut & Spiele' (as well as 'Rhein-Rhuhr Megaplex', if that's out yet)
Blade
To get the French pdf (choose Shadowrun - Edition 20ème anniversaire in the "gamme" selection box, and scroll down the page, SOX should be here for €15).

I don't know how useable an automatic translation is.
Sengir
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Dec 8 2011, 02:12 PM) *
Does anyone know if the german-only books are available in pdf anywhere? (REAL pdfs, NOT crappy, foul, scanned pirate-copies)

Sadly not and there is very little hope this might ever change. Pegasus does not own the rights for SOX and München Noir, while Fanpro has the rights to these books but (AFAIK) does not have the rights to publish anything Shadowrun-related. Thus there will be neither pdfs nor new print runs frown.gif

The French still have the rights to their edition of SOX, but I doubt they are allowed to publish stuff in English...
snowRaven
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 8 2011, 03:03 PM) *
Sadly not and there is very little hope this might ever change. Pegasus does not own the rights for SOX and München Noir, while Fanpro has the rights to these books but (AFAIK) does not have the rights to publish anything Shadowrun-related. Thus there will be neither pdfs nor new print runs frown.gif

The French still have the rights to their edition of SOX, but I doubt they are allowed to publish stuff in English...

Hmm...and Pegasus apparently doesn't publish their books in pdf either?

My german isn't good enough for it to be worth investing in a dead-tree book. With a pdf, however, I can use the crutch of online translation to help me with the interesting sections, and just skim the rest...

This is what I'm doing for french SOX btw (as well as the Marseille chapter of Runners Havens), though my french is a lot worse than my german so it's a bit more of a hassle...
snowRaven
Oh, and I should note, for those interested:

The French SOX book and the German SOX book contain two different, paralell (slightly intersecting) campaigns.
Sengir
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Dec 8 2011, 03:08 PM) *
Hmm...and Pegasus apparently doesn't publish their books in pdf either?

They recently started selling pdfs on drivethru, but so far only translated products...don't ask me why
snowRaven
I can understand selling the translated the pdf as pdfs...but doing the core books and not the setting books? *shrug*
ravensmuse
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Dec 8 2011, 09:49 AM) *
Oh, and I should note, for those interested:

The French SOX book and the German SOX book contain two different, paralell (slightly intersecting) campaigns.

Here's Nath with a good summary of French / German books, along with notation on this interesting "parallel" campaign:

QUOTE (Nath @ Sep 6 2011, 12:15 PM) *
To answer ravensmuse request, I made a short review of Shadowrun French-only releases (quite faster to do than for German products). Not sure it'll interest a lot of people, but feel free to ask for further details. I do not list Shadows of Europe (as it is not a French-only product), but knowing its content would probably help understand some things.

FRANCE
144 pages
ISBN: 2-7408-0147-5
Release: September, 1997
Date: May, 2057
Early in the process, Descartes Editeur submitted a list of the major highlights to FASA to be approved. As far as I understood, the project took a lot more time than planned, with some part being heavily reworked several times (hence some bizarreness like a Royal Army without having an actual king or queen). Major features are:
- France new regime is the Oligarchy (yes, it is the official name). Four families gets to sit on the Oligarchic council to rule the country. The country is divided into duchies, with one or several dukes gets to rule. Widely considered silly.
- Brittany is entirely covered by the Mist. By the rules, you can stay inside the Mist for twelve turn in the best case. After that, you cease to exist. Fluff has Lofwyr trying to enter and after being wounded by something in the astral. It is suggested the Mist is a cocoon for something nasty (read: Horror).
- A massive volcanic eruption destroyed Clermont-Ferrand and most of Auvergne. The largest dragon in the world is sleeping at the bottom of a caldera.
- The French Matrix is the most advanced grid in the world. French programmers designed the Corporate court system security. Foreign megacorporations just beg to work with them. They avoided the 2029 virus thanks to a kill-switch. La Passerelle ("The Gateway") is a single Red-10 node that segregates the French Matrix from the rest of the world (security tally has it cascading into an AI at 27).
- Monsieur de Fontainebleau is the richest man in France. He is a friend of both Damien Knight and M. Darke (sic). Owns a copy of the Book of Harrows. It is suggested he is working for the Horrors.
All the French authors working on Shadows of Europe knew and read the book. We willingly choose to rework or ignore its contents.

CAPITALES DES OMBRES
160 pages
ISBN: 978-2-915847-222
Release: March, 2008
Date: February, 2070
French version of Runner Havens. It features an additional chapter on Marseille, which is 16 pages long (thus quite shorter than Seattle and Hong Kong).
In France, Marseille was a fully independent city. In Shadows of Europe, its status got a passing mention, but it was practicaly described as under full control of Saeder-Krupp. Capital des Ombres retcons the autonomy status as mere political gesture with almost no practical effects (but it doesn't explain if and how law enforcement is affected), and Saeder-Krupp domination is also made a thing of the past. I must admit I was not fond of the move.
Otherwise, you get the classical elements of Marseille setting: shipping, various Mediterranean and Asian ethnic communities, the mob, hip hop and the allmighty football, plus urban brawl (a sport born in France according to Shadowbeat). It also provides small update to the French setting at large (Yohann de Kervelec as the new president, the death of Charles de Rohan, a possible alliance of ESUS and Index-Axa).

SOX
168 pages
ISBN: 978-2-915847-55-0
Release: July, 2009
Date: October, 2070 / April, 2071
The SOX book is a French-German joint project. The first 68 pages feature the description of the SOX area and is the same in both the French and German version. SOX is a walled radioactive area created after a nuclear accident in the French power plan in Cattenom in 2009, covering a part of France, a part of Germany and all of Luxembourg. I found the book to be sometimes unclear for instance on what is the exact level of security MET2000 enforce on the wall or inside the zone, how much exchange there is between the zone and the outside, or the zone and the corporations' arcologies, how important is the zone to corporations and smugglers, and so on. But so can every GM adjust the background the way he wants it. You can have a team of rookies sent with armored chemsuit and fully loaded weapons to fight against a gang using crossbows and rusted XXth Century firearms in an area where there are no police and SIN check to bother them, or experienced runners with a single knife and half a bottle of water, trying to get into an enclosed arcology, hunted by corporate forces, with toxic spirits geting in the way, knowing they're going to die from radiation poisoning anyway.
The last 96 pages is a French-only campaign titled Mauvais Présage (Bad Omen). The German version features another campaign, titled Hoffnungsstrahlen ("Beacon of Hope" ?). The original plan was to have the French and German campaigns connected, with each group triggering events that affect the other. That probably was a bit too ambitious. There still are a few links (but also some inconsistencies).
[ Spoiler ]

ENCLAVES CORPORATISTES
168 pages
ISBN: 978-2-915847-56-7
Release: August, 2009
Date: February, 2071 / March, 2072 / October, 2072
French version of (you guessed it) Corporate Enclaves. It included the Manhattan PDF Only product as an additional chapter, and a few pages about Lille, in northern France (set in March, 2072). After the events of Mauvais Présage and the corporate economic sanctions, the French government offered them control of the Lille sprawl. And so you get a corp council and private police services.

CARTELS FANTÔMES
192 pages
ISBN: 78-2-915847-85-7
Release: September, 2010
Date: February-November, 2071
French version of Ghost Cartels. Written by a French-German team, it adds a chapter between The Source and The Final Cut, with five adventures in Europe (it should actually be played between Neo-Tokyo and Los Angeles). They take place in Rotterdam, Lille, Marseille, Genoa and Lisbon, as the PC follows the Olaya cartel envoy in Europe. The book first chapter also includes some news item linked to the European events.
There are two minor ties with SOX campaign Mauvais Présage first chapter: a minor NPC (who actually had significant chances of dying when she first appeared) returns in a more prominent position in Lille, and the PC may already have visited the night club in Marseille where some action will take place.
I took a part in writing that one (I reworked a bit the Genoa adventure to fix some issues) but never actually played it, so I can't really comment. I have the impression inserting a whole new chapter kinda "break the flow" of the original GC campaign. The adventures themselves are closer to First Taste than The Source, as the adventures are a lot more connected: though the team moves, the events in most cities have later consequences, and the relationships between the Olaya delegation members play a big role.

Nemo
The German version features another campaign, titled Hoffnungsstrahlen ("Beacon of Hope" ?).

That would better translate as "Rays of Hope"
snowRaven
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Dec 9 2011, 12:34 AM) *
Here's Nath with a good summary of French / German books, along with notation on this interesting "parallel" campaign:

Ah, great summaries! Thank you ravensmuse.

I agree with Nath that the retcon of Marseille is iffy, but I think I can use some of that chapter to help 'flesh out' the setting. Keeping the S-K control of the city and still having the underworld presence from 'Capitales des Ombres' and particularily 'Cartels Fantômes' can make for a very interesting place to run.

I didn't know that Ghost Cartels had an extra chapter in the French version before reading this, but now I've taken a quick look (and as a bonus I realized that my french is better than I remembered!) and it has some good stuff.

However, some parts are quite heavy on the railroading and most of it is the runners being 'lent out' to various local factions. Coupled with the times that happens in the rest of GC, it feels overdone and unimaginative, but there's enough substance there for an enterprising GM to work with. If I were to run GC over again, I'd let the PCs chose which part of the tour to take part in, Pacific Rim or Europe, and butcher the other part for 'extras'.

Some of the ideas are general enough to make good unrelated runs as well, in any city.

Now I just have to try and translate the German S.O.X. I have and see what I can use--which will be a pain! Since it's dead-tree I can't easily apply translation software... =(
Nath
For the record, here's what I understood of the German SOX campaign, Hoffnungsstrahen.
[ Spoiler ]

Sengir
Ah well, since I'm currently considering running it, somewhat extended summary of Hoffnungsstrahlen:

[ Spoiler ]

For the last chapter I couldn't think of more than Nath wrote, so see there wink.gif
snowRaven
Thank you Nath and Sengir, those summaries will help me quite a bit if I ever get around to translating the German campaign (which I very well might...I like some of the concepts there too much to just pass on them).

After a good read-through of the French campaign I'm not so sure about that one, though. It starts off great, but I think it gets out of hand toward the end...

Anyone that actually ran it and can give some advice/feedback?
Buccaneer
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 8 2011, 04:17 PM) *
They recently started selling pdfs on drivethru, but so far only translated products...don't ask me why

In the PDF-Store http://pdf-shop.pegasus.de/ you can also find some books with german only location additions. Schattenstädte contains a very large section (over 50 pages) about Hamburg plus 16 pages about Marseille taken from the french version of the book. Konzernenklaven has nearly 50 pages about Greater Frankfurt (Main). And the latest release in the shop is the complete Berlin-Sourcebook.
nightslasthero
Drive Thru has a lot of the German PDF books for Shadowrun

Also why doesn't Catalyst translate the German and French books and sell them as PDFs? I assume they already have translators to translate the English stuff into the other two languages (at least the other two companies have them), so why not translate stuff that is already done and make it as a pdf?
CanRay
QUOTE (nightslasthero @ Jan 27 2012, 12:02 PM) *
Drive Thru has a lot of the German PDF books for Shadowrun

Also why doesn't Catalyst translate the German and French books and sell them as PDFs? I assume they already have translators to translate the English stuff into the other two languages (at least the other two companies have them), so why not translate stuff that is already done and make it as a pdf?
Probably the other two companies that have the translators and don't see a profit in it when CGL gets the money.

Either that, or they're laughing at the poor unilingual-anglophones.

We do need the question answered. More duct tape?
snowRaven
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 27 2012, 05:09 PM) *

You buy the duct tape; I'll bring the chair!

(I'm already in europe, so...)
Stahlseele
*pats his german copy of SOX, Blut und Spiele, Berlin and Rhein-Ruhr Megaplex*
nightslasthero
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 27 2012, 11:09 AM) *
Probably the other two companies that have the translators and don't see a profit in it when CGL gets the money.

More duct tape is indeed needed.

The simple solution would be to give the other two companies part of the profit for originally writing the material and for translating it. Give a boost to all three companies since there are English people who would love to have the other books.
Jazz

Three things, I think:
1. English -> French is easy work, because it's made by french guys that write a result in their langage.
French -> English isn't, because it'll be made by french guys that write a result in a foreign langage with a lot of crappy typos and engrish style.

It's not the same price than English -> French or Original works because you'll have to hire more reveiwers than on a usual product.

2. Maybe we french guys will be reading Running Wild next month. We're "quite" late, you see, so i don't know if they have the time to do that. Any "scenario only" supplement or pdf is guessed to be left out of our paper line products (guessed by me but I'm not omniscient). In pdf we have the SRM being translated, and most of rule pdf are integrated in the paperline supplements. But I think campaign like Horizon stuff or other will never be translated in french.

I would want but last release from Black Book Edition in paper for the rpg line was... Ghost Cartel, 2010 october the 19th. frown.gif

3. How many of you guys from USA ever played in SR's France or Germany ? Not that much future customers I guess ?
Name a french dragon. Hahaha.

Even us made nothing about THE Hahaha who lives in Marseille, France here. There's too much of "wait canon and see" from our translator team, I allready told them about that and we disagreed also a lot about we see our country. They wait, I want to write.

Anyway I too would be very interessed in reading what germans guys did with their part of the campaign.

More like crying tbh.
Sengir
QUOTE (Jazz @ Jan 28 2012, 12:45 PM) *
Anyway I too would be very interessed in reading what germans guys did with their part of the campaign.

I'd say we have far more setting than plot...
Berlin is no longer divided between anarchist East and corporate West, following a nanotech attack from a sprawl guerrilla cell the corps "liberated" the anarchist holdout. While the operation caused less bloodshed than the one against the West, there still was a public outcry (supported by political forces wanting to put the corps in their place), so the winner couldn't take the prize. Instead, the city is now divided (politically, not with walls) into 21 districts, which elect their representatives for the city council. Five of those districts are extraterritorial corp country, the others are divided into eight comparatively normal ones and 8 where "alternative" forces still are the majority. Obviously, the electoral procedure and compliance with council decision differs between districts...

In Rhine-Ruhr, Essen now is Big L's domain de jure. S-K representatives announced the company now wholly owned a 4 km radius around the Essen arcology, thus they declared the whole place extraterritorial and are now busy remodeling the city. Ares is meanwhile playing the thorn in the dragon's side by trying to take over the police contract for all of Northrhine-Ruhr.

PS: Here's a map of the new Berlin. Yellow = extraterritorial, black = anarchist, gray = normal.
http://www.shadowhelix.de/Datei:Übersicht_...gehörigkeit.png
snowRaven
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 28 2012, 02:50 AM) *
*pats his german copy of SOX, Blut und Spiele, Berlin and Rhein-Ruhr Megaplex*

Is Blut and Spiele any good? My german sucks, but I like the idea of a book on urban brawl...
Stahlseele
It is not REALLY a Book on Urban Brawl . .
It's an adventure/hooks book. There are some nice in universe Informations about the Teams and rules and the such, and (sadly) very little shadowtalk on the last few pages.
You could have done this book with, basically, any kind of thing too . . Combat Biking for example.
But the book itself is, aside from that one complaint from me, pretty good, yes.
Most of the Pegasus Stuff is. Even the german translation of Bogota! is not too bad.
snowRaven
I'll wait for a possible(?) pdf release, then.

It's a pity that Pegasus doesn't do all their stuff in pdf.
Stahlseele
Yeah, we'Re trying to get them to change that, but i think it has something to do with the licensing again <.<
snowRaven
Well, they did publish 'Berlin' in pdf now, right? So I'm hoping the rest of the german-only books will follow...

Dead-tree editions aren't worth my money, since I have to resort to translation help to read them fully. Pdf's, on the other hand, I can actually use by taking assistance from online translators in combination with my limited german =)
Thanee
Just buy a linguasoft for german.

Ah, well, if things only were that easy... biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Xenefungus
Considering the huge amount of germans here at Dumpshock, perhaps they should collaborate and translate it for their english speaking chummers?
For example, a project could be opened for it at kickstarter.com so they get a few nuyens for their effort smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 31 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Just buy a linguasoft for german.

Ah, well, if things only were that easy... biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee

Unfortunately, Google translate is only about the equivalent of a Rating 1 Linguasoft that comes with the Incompetence flaw....but hey, it's free...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Jan 31 2012, 09:57 PM) *
Considering the huge amount of germans here at Dumpshock, perhaps they should collaborate and translate it for their english speaking chummers?
For example, a project could be opened for it at kickstarter.com so they get a few nuyens for their effort smile.gif

dude, highly illegal . .
Xenefungus
Just ask how much share THEY would want out of this to keep their lawyers at bay wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012