Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Movie Trailer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fexes
Did it just for fun: The (fake) Shadowrun Movie Trailer

http://youtu.be/i_kObjhDTMY
Paul
Did you make that? Because that's damned cool. Also I want the music!
Saint Hallow
Nice mix of footage. I recognized Terminator, T2, T3, T4, Ultraviolet, BladeRunner, Minority Report, Judge Dredd, Daybreakers?, Reign of Fire, Robocop?, Hellboy, The Day the Earth Stood Still, X Men: Beginnings, Batman Begins?, Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade, Resident Evil, Matrix, & Surrogates? If there were others, I'd be interested in what they were.
Hound
pretty cool. Think the dragons from Reign of Fire don't really fit, as they're presented a bit more animalistic and less mystical/noble, as I imagine the SR dragons. Other than that it was neat though. Honestly, I think it wouldn't be hard to make a good movie based on Shadowrun.
CanRay
QUOTE (Hound @ Nov 28 2011, 01:16 AM) *
pretty cool. Think the dragons from Reign of Fire don't really fit, as they're presented a bit more animalistic and less mystical/noble, as I imagine the SR dragons. Other than that it was neat though. Honestly, I think it wouldn't be hard to make a good movie based on Shadowrun.
To make a good movie? No.

To make a movie that'll please all of us? Yes. nyahnyah.gif
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (Hound @ Nov 28 2011, 12:16 AM) *

Not every dragon is an intelligent or great dragon. I think there are lesser that are essentially bestial, giant lizards.
Jareth Valar
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Nov 27 2011, 11:46 PM) *
Nice mix of footage. I recognized Terminator, T2, T3, T4, Ultraviolet, BladeRunner, Minority Report, Judge Dredd, Daybreakers?, Reign of Fire, Robocop?, Hellboy, The Day the Earth Stood Still, X Men: Beginnings, Batman Begins?, Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade, Resident Evil, Matrix, & Surrogates? If there were others, I'd be interested in what they were.

The raised map on the arm was Aeon Flux, IIRC.
Hound
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 28 2011, 01:17 AM) *
To make a good movie? No.

To make a movie that'll please all of us? Yes. nyahnyah.gif

Well, that's what I meant. I mean, it wouldn't be harder to make a good SR movie than any other kind of good movie. It's just that legitimately awesome movies are apparently pretty tough to make.

QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Nov 28 2011, 01:48 AM) *
Not every dragon is an intelligent or great dragon. I think there are lesser that are essentially bestial, giant lizards.

Yeah I suppose that's true, I didn't really consider the various off-shoot species and such.
Faraday
I think a good starting point for a SR movie would be to show the the events of 2010-2012 from a couple perspectives. Maybe lead up to where Dunkelzahn starts talking with humanity.
Thanee
That is probably the biggest problem of a SR movie... it would need like an hour just to introduce the setting. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Blade
Actually no. That's a common mistake.

How long do you need to introduce metahumans? One second. Just show them at work or walking down the streets. If you want to introduce the idea that they're closely related to human, have a nurse tell a mother: "Congratulations, it's an ork girl!".
Introducing magic, the megacorporations or cyberware isn't complicated either: the public is familiar with the concepts.
rathalos
The intro to the movie could be similar to Operation Swordfish. Have a montage of images similar to Reign of Fire and the voice of Dunkelzahn or some other iconic figure speaking of the morals (or lack there of) in this futuristic world.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 28 2011, 10:00 AM) *
they're closely related to human, have a nurse tell a mother: "Congratulations, it's an elf/human/dwarf girl!".

Corrected for you. It would be a long time before orks and trolls would be perceived as acceptable.
Blade
It depends on where you are.
Thanee
The most basic concepts are probably introduced quickly, but it goes a bit deeper than that (though it could be questioned, how much of this is really necessary, of course).

Bye
Thanee
nezumi
Wow, very well done. You rock!
fexes
Music:
Hanayo In Panacea - Coma

Movies:
Aeon Fluxx
A.I.
Alien
Alien vs. Predator
Batman Begins
Batman Dark Knight
Battle in Seattle
Blade Runner
Demolition Man
Die Hard 4.0
Enterprise s02e23 - Regeneration
Enterprise s04e21 - Terra Prime
eXistenz
Gantz
Gattaca
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Hellboy
Judge Dredd
Matrix
Matrix Reloaded
Minority Report
Reign of Fire
Resident Evil 1, 3
Robocop 1-3
Star Trek VIII
Star Trek XI
Terminator 1, 2, 4
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Ultraviolet
Virtousity
X-Men Origins Wolverine

...some other stand on my list but it was too much material (The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, X-Men 1-3, Terminator 3, Matrix Revolutions, Johnny Mnemonic, X-Files - Kill Switch, Resident Evil 2, Pan's Labyrinth, Monsters, Apocalypto, Underworld 1-3, Hellboy 2, I am Legend, Equilibrium, Silent Hill, Brother, Shinjuku Incident)

Maybe you have some other ideas.
Adarael
The idea that you need to introduce a strange or alien setting via "setup" rather than dropping people into the story in media res can easily be shown to be totally untrue using one of th most popular films of all time: Star Wars. Or if you prefer, Blade Runner. The brief paragraph at the beginning of each tells you everything you need to know for the immediate action you're about to see, and then BAM you're in it.
Paul
Dude, Fexes you've got some talent. People can nitpick all they want but until they have videos up to compareit by you've got my vote!
Saint Hallow
No one is nitpicking Fexes. He did a fantastic job. The thing we're all unhappy about is that if an SR movie ever gets made, it'll never be a blockbuster. There's so much awesome back story, that to relate it to an audience would be a pain.

We've all seen cyberpunk movies of dystopian futures... so it's feasible/possible to do. What throws everything for a loop is MAGIC (which seems to be a themes in SR. Magic screws with everything... LOL!).
Brazilian_Shinobi
No movie will ever be made about shadowrun. EVER! Just take a look at how many years it took for us to get a D&D movie and look how HORRIBLE it was. It didn't even make sense. Let's just be glad a shadowrun movie will never see the light of day.
CanRay
It could be worse.

Uwe Boll could make it based on the Shadowrun X-Box 360 "game".
Blade
Ok, I give you the scenario of the upcoming Shadowrun movie:

We start in a small building in the Barrens, where the hero, a 16 year old blond human, lives with his dwarven uncle and aunt (officialy, his parents are dead). The bad megacorporation wants to destroy the building (and the whole neighborhood) to build its arcology. Some people try to stand against the corporation, but the boy isn't really into that. He just does what he can to survive: he steals things to the mean gangers in order to feed his friends and family). He's quite good at what he does, though. Better than most people.

But soon the megacorporation sends its troops to destroy the building, killing everyone inside (yes, they can't just blow up the building with explosives, they need to send armed troops to shoot at people, destroy glass windows and steal what they can. They also put fire to things and cause some explosions). The hero tries to run away, and is saved by a bad ass streetsam who kills a bunch of corporate soliders before running away with the kid (who wants to stay to save his uncle an aunt who've got no chance of survival in the burning building), and a few other people, including an ork (he might even be black or latino) who'll become a friend of the hero.

Later on, the streetsam brings the kid to a bar (a stripper bar probably, this will help add some T&A (preferably elven) in the trailer). While the ork sits gaping at the dancers, the streetsam reveals to the hero that he is actually a physad, and that he can avenge his neighborhood. But the kid answers that he doesn't want, that it's his fault his uncle and aunt are dead and that anyway he can't do any of that.

He leaves the bar, taking his ork friend with him, and wander in town until suddenly gangers come out of the shadows. The ork friends wants to comply or run away, but the hero is angry and he starts talking back to the gangers. Soon, they start fighting. The kid turns out to be actually pretty good, but the gang boss (a big troll with a flail) make him fall down. The ork friend rushes to protect his human friend with his body, but as the boss strikes, a hand blocks the flail. It's the cyberhand of the badass streetsam who kicks the ganger's ass.

After this, the hero accepts the training offer from the streetsam and we have a little training montage, which ends with the hero, grown up a little, walking towards the - not yet finished - arcology. On his way, he meets the mean neighborhood gang (the one he was stealing from at the beginning of the movie), which is now serving the bad megacorporation. With the help from the streetsam (and the comic relief from the ork) they kick they asses.

As they get at the front doors of the arcology, they suddenly get surrounded by troops from the bad corproation. The bad CEO comes out and does his little speech of the happy vilain. He reveals that the badass streetsam (who looks sad) was serving him since the beginning and that he was here to make sure the hero wouldn't interfere (which he was the only one dangerous enough to do). He then asks the streetsam to shoot the hero, which he does.

The hero wakes up. He's not dead. He was thrown in the garbage bin of the arcology. He's angry as he exits the garbage bin. Suddenly he sees his ork friend talking with a guard. He starts accusing him of having switched sides until the ork friend explains that this guard is actually a female elf friend they had back in the neighborhood. She explains that she's infiltrating the arcology to kill the CEO. So they decided to team up. You then have a few scenes of infiltration with security devices to avoid (yeah, the arcology is made of challenge rooms).

Then suddenly, the hero meets his aunt and uncle! They aren't dead, they have been hired to work in the arcology. They say that it's useless to fight, that it's better this way. But the hero isn't the naive boy of the beginning. He knows these aren't his aunt and uncle. He shoots them, revealing that they were robots.

But then a lot of guards arrive from everywhere. Fight scenes, during which the girl gets captured. The hero begins to doubt his abilities and quest. But his ork friend is there to support him, and gives him something: a datachip. It's a message from the badass streetsam who says that by the time the kid will hear this message, he (the streetsam) will have been shot for not following orders. He has shot him with gel rounds. He explains that many years ago he was young and hot-blooded, like the hero is. One day, he provoked a very powerful guy and lost his arm. He would have been dead if it wasn't for someone. A street legend: the hero's father. Sadly, the hero's father was killed afterwards in a treacherous way by the bad CEO in order to steal his draconic gem where he had put all his magical abilities. Right after, the ork friends gets killed by the boss of the guards.

The hero gets his fighting spirit back and he rushes to the top of the arcology, killing many guards on the way, including the boss of the guards. He's got a much better control over his powers, and there are a lot of visual effects and explosions. Finally, he faces the CEO (in an exoskeleton) on top of the arcology. The CEO has the girl hostage. After an epic fight, during which the hero is able to harness the power of the draconic gem and turn it against the CEO, the hero pushes the CEO from the top of the arcology with a witty one-liner, saves the girl and get the gem.

To exit the arcology, the heros connects to the central system from the CEO's office. He arrives in a virtual world where a voice tell him he could take the place of the CEO and become the master. He refuses, but he can't exit. The malefic AI is holding him! But the girl arrives in the virtual world, even if the AI say it's impossible. As he takes the girl's hand in the virtual world, he suddenly find himself back in the physical world, kissing the girl.

That's when the CEO re-appears. He didn't fall down all the way and was able to climb back up, and now he's going to kill the girl. But the hero is now very powerful and can make him fall down again, this time for good (at least until the sequel).

The hero then goes on the balcony, where the whole population of the neighborhood is there to listen to him. He makes a big speech and everyone cheers. But the AI hasn't said its last word, and it triggers the destruction of the arcology. The hero and the girl escape as everything blows up (from the upper floors to the lower) behind them. When the last floor crumbles, everyone think he's dead, but he's actually fine and everyone cheers as he comes out of the rubbles. The camera zooms out on this happy scene, before stopping as a reticule gets displayed on the hero's head. We then get a glimpse of a sinister man looking at the scene.

The END?
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 29 2011, 02:28 AM) *
It could be worse.

Uwe Boll could make it based on the Shadowrun X-Box 360 "game".

Too far, CanRay, too far.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 29 2011, 10:00 AM) *
Too far, CanRay, too far.

Actually, I beg your pardon CanRay, it's Blade who went too far.
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 29 2011, 09:06 AM) *
No, I called upon the wrath of Uwe Boll, that's too far as well.

I just want an excuse for all of us to get into a boxing ring with us, that's all.
Blade
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 29 2011, 02:06 PM) *

I'm pretty sure that's what we'd get if Hollywood was to make a Shadowrun movie.
Daylen
Is it bad that I recognized >99% of the clips shown?
CanRay
Sign of a good education as far as I'm concerned.

Science-Fiction and Fantasy are good for the mind. Opens it to possibilities.
Daylen
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 29 2011, 07:50 PM) *
Sign of a good education as far as I'm concerned.

Science-Fiction and Fantasy are good for the mind. Opens it to possibilities.

Yea, but sometimes things fall out when its open!
CanRay
Yeah, preconceptions.
Saint Hallow
There was a movie called Perfect Creature... a psuedo-steampunk film where humanity & vampires were co-existing. I hate vampire flicks, but this 1 had some interesting concepts & was done pretty well. I still hated the vampires, though.

Also, I think there was a Cthulu-like film where some corporate scientists/security folks were investigating an ancient relic with bad consequences. Forgot the name of that 1. It also looked futuristic somewhat.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Hey, there is always the movie "The Keep."
It even had magic in it, if I recall.

Besides, you get to cheer for the Creature when it was Beating/Killing/Eating Nazis.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012