Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skill Wires
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Draco18s
Heard an interview on the radio the other day that showed proof of concept for being able to transfer skills and memories from one mind to another.

Here's a link. The parts on memory are at about the 8 minute mark (7:55) although the first part is also a good listen.

"Two months ago, history was made when [scientists] were able to put a memory directly into a mouse. This is the first time in history it has been done — it's something right out of science fiction. What they did was, they looked at the hippocampus of a mouse, and tape-recorded impulses as it learned a task. That's the gateway for memory: All memories first go through the hippocampus. They tape-recorded the impulses. Then they gave it a chemical which made the mouse forget the task. Then they took this tape-recording, shot it back into the mouse, and the mouse immediately knew how to do the task.

"This is the first time it has been demonstrated that you can actually tape-record a memory and then reinsert the memory into a mouse and have the mouse perform the task that it previously forgot. The implications of this are enormous. ... It means that memories, in principle, might be tape-recorded and then shot right back into your brain or somebody else's brain."
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Very Interesting... smile.gif
I look forward to research progress.
Brazilian_Shinobi
YAY! Dollhouse here we come.
Dahrken
If I'm not mistaken they played it back in the same mouse, with the same exact neuronal pattern. I'm not sure it would have worked if replayed into another mouse.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 30 2011, 01:59 PM) *
If I'm not mistaken they played it back in the same mouse, with the same exact neuronal pattern. I'm not sure it would have worked if replayed into another mouse.

I wouldn't know either. You'd have to ask the scientists.

But the programmer in me says: "do it simple, trace the output, try something more complex if it works."
Tanegar
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 30 2011, 01:59 PM) *

Obviously, that's the next step in the research. Record a memory from Mouse A, play it back into Mouse B's brain, and test B to see if it has the knowledge of A.
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 30 2011, 07:04 PM) *
Obviously, that's the next step in the research. Record a memory from Mouse A, play it back into Mouse B's brain, and test B to see if it has the knowledge of A.

.. and test to see if Mouse B dies horribly. If it survives, test if it has the Knowledge.
LurkerOutThere
I'm hardly a scientist and i can't watch the video right now, but how do they know the forgetfulness compound was completely effective?
Draco18s
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 30 2011, 06:28 PM) *
I'm hardly a scientist and i can't watch the video right now, but how do they know the forgetfulness compound was completely effective?

It's an audio clip, from a radio interview.

As for the question: the guy didn't say, but I assume they know because they tested to see if the mouse remembered the task.

Also, there are artificial hipocampuses now, which when turned off prevent access to the long term memories stored with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012