Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car/plane/boat/helicopter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fabe
A concept car the comes with three interchangeable shells that allows it to to become a airplane,boat or helicopter, every Rich corp executive and rigger will want one of these.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/90056/halo-int...and-helicopter/
Error
I'm curious how the control scheme either does or does not change depending on the mode/shell you put it into. And just what the process involved in installing the core vehicle into any of the other shells. Either way, interesting idea, I'm just not sure that it wouldn't be more convenient to have the multiple vehicles instead.

If you're making a break for it and need to change from wheels to rotors, I have to wonder how long the conversion process would take and what the startup time on the helicopter mode would then be? I'd probably rather have an evac chopper waiting with engines primed and rotors turning for quick escape. If you don't have the backup to do it though, then I might be able to see using something like this. I'll just have to look at it from a 2070s perspective and assume there will be a quick-change method on something like this by then.

I really need to stop seeing everything in the context of Shadowrun.
KarmaInferno
It's a design concept, meaning it's a pretty product idea with zero actual mechanical design behind it.

Which mean it's more or less nothing. People come up with nifty ideas all the time that never make it past concept drawings.

-k
Fabe
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 1 2011, 12:32 AM) *
It's a design concept, meaning it's a pretty product idea with zero actual mechanical design behind it.

Which mean it's more or less nothing. People come up with nifty ideas all the time that never make it past concept drawings.

-k

Very true,But in the world of Shadowrun it might just make it to production even if it was on limited scale.
hobgoblin
If it is made drive by wire as a semi-automatic transmission it could work nicely.

car: as normal.

plane: the gear shift becomes a throttle, the pedals become rudder controls and the wheel can be moved forward and back to control pitch.

boat: disable pedals, use gear shift for throttle.

helicopter: much like aircraft, but with a bit of electronics to allow the pilot to take his hands of the throttle. For that i guess one can have a look at the control setup for the canceled Comanche, where one had a single stick for everything. It could move in all the normal directions, plus being lifted up or pressed down, as well as twisted for tail control.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012