Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Ol' D Town
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Belvidere
So, after pouring through Target: UCAS Detroit chapter, and planning out a detroit based game, I just had the thought as to ask here on dumpshock if there is any more infor on Detroit, preferably 4th ed stuff, I think I've read all of the older edition material.

Also, as a side note. To the writers of Target: UCAS, I think they've shown the first divination magic of our age. I know Detroit wasn't doing to well when the book was written, but the uncannily called how the big three started to falter and the corporate bailouts from the government.

So as the golden child of Ares Macrotechnology and the homebase for Mr. Knight, how do you all think the D is doing these days?
Paul
You may want to try and get a hold of Chrome Tiger as I believe he runs a lot of Michigan based games, and last I knew he had a lot of back ground stuff on Detroit.
Daylen
Its called Delta City I hear, they tried to use cyberzombies as police, but can't get the bugs worked out.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daylen @ Dec 2 2011, 12:40 PM) *
Its called Delta City I hear, they tried to use cyberzombies as police, but can't get the bugs worked out.
Well, as he keeps getting shot up so badly...
Daylen
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 2 2011, 05:46 PM) *
Well, as he keeps getting shot up so badly...

By some of the other cyberzombies at too.
Sengir
QUOTE (Daylen @ Dec 2 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Yeah, Ares has some bug issues...
Belvidere
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 2 2011, 03:16 PM) *
Yeah, Ares has some bug issues...

I see what you did there. grinbig.gif
TeOdio
Nothing official, but I used Detroit for my 2nd and 3rd Edition campaign settings. I imagined that it would once again be fairly blue collar with heavy industry and manufacturing still dominating. Ares has free reign as they revitalized the city and economy. There are plenty of jobs for the wage slaves with SIN's as a chipped work force and techs to oversee and work on the drone work force. For the SINless, plenty of work too, low paying and dangerous as labor laws rarely see enforcement. I imagined a population boom as well since the UCAS lost half of their combined territory. When you consider Windsor as part of the overall sprawl, you have a pretty nice sized urban sprawl to play around in. There is plenty of wilderness to go to as well if that's where you want a game to take you, including the expansive Algonquin-Manitou Council lands. Plus, it's on the Great Lakes! The official stuff was pretty sparse, so if you want good 4th Ed ideas, I would take some cues from the Corporate Enclaves book, as Detroit is essentially a company town for Ares.
Belvidere
QUOTE (TeOdio @ Dec 4 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Nothing official, but I used Detroit for my 2nd and 3rd Edition campaign settings. I imagined that it would once again be fairly blue collar with heavy industry and manufacturing still dominating. Ares has free reign as they revitalized the city and economy. There are plenty of jobs for the wage slaves with SIN's as a chipped work force and techs to oversee and work on the drone work force. For the SINless, plenty of work too, low paying and dangerous as labor laws rarely see enforcement. I imagined a population boom as well since the UCAS lost half of their combined territory. When you consider Windsor as part of the overall sprawl, you have a pretty nice sized urban sprawl to play around in. There is plenty of wilderness to go to as well if that's where you want a game to take you, including the expansive Algonquin-Manitou Council lands. Plus, it's on the Great Lakes! The official stuff was pretty sparse, so if you want good 4th Ed ideas, I would take some cues from the Corporate Enclaves book, as Detroit is essentially a company town for Ares.

Thanks for the tips. Hadn't had a reason to pick up corporate enclaves, but might just have to nab the PDF for some inspiration and maybe to a write up of Motown. If I do, I'll make sure to toss it up for everyone else to look at and pull from.
Paul
Definitely get Corporate Enclaves in PDF. It's pretty awfully written.
A sample:

QUOTE ("Corporate Enclaves @ p65")
Sometimes the problem is external, where a foreign corporation is attempting a hostile takeover of a Japanese corporation. In this case, the Pacific Rim Bank will lend money to another Japanese corporation (often at no interest), and that second Japanese corporation will use that money to outbid the foreign corp’s takeover offer. The understanding between the Japanese megacorporations is that once the foreigners back down from the raising takeover price, the Japanese bid will be withdrawn and the original corporation can survive intact.

"Raising takeover price?" And how many times can the word "that" fit in a paragraph? If you need that many repeated demonstrative adjectives, it's a sure bet your sentence construction has gotten unwieldy: dump it, and start over. Nitpicky? Yeah. But nitpicky copy editing is what separates awful writing from good writing, or good writing from great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012