Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Experiment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Spasmodic
Having run a few games before, I find that the non-hacking players don’t seem interested in the matrix unless I force it upon them. I figure they either don’t care about the game, or the just don’t see any content in it for them.

I am going to remove the fixer as an element in my next game, and instead have the players communicate with potential employers through the matrix. They would then have a meeting in person with the Johnson to iron out details, but I believe this would create an interest in having a matrix presence for my group.

I have decided to put a great deal of content online in a forum similar to the ones in the Shadowrun Sourcebooks, Jackpoint.

Demonwipe.com/darknet is the result.

A great deal of the content is from adventure seeds and fromtheshadows.blogspot.com (and I have mentioned author names wherever possible, if anyone has any issue with me using this content please tell me.)
I invite everyone to sign up and post in character, create discussions about stuff in shadowrun, seattle and elsewhere. In fact if you post as a Johnson or Fixer character I would be happy for you to post an adventure seed in the work category.

I am also looking for input about the site. It is still very much in development. Any comments or criticisms about the site or its content are most welcome.

As it is i have so far been overwhelmed by the the response. There is now a Wiki component for GM's who want to collaborate and post adventure seeds as johnsons on the forum, and two more forums are on their way, an OOC for players and an OOC for GM's.

Cheers,
Froggie
Looks pretty cool - i've posted a few comments on there already biggrin.gif

I think any resource that allows some interaction to the fluff of the game world is a great idea.
ggodo
I can't get to the site.
Spasmodic
QUOTE (ggodo @ Dec 9 2011, 10:34 AM) *
I can't get to the site.

try http://demonwipe.com/darknet

if that doesn't work, what browser are you using?

From what i can tell, the site is very favorable towards firefox.
Froggie
the URL changed in the description... try http://Demonwipe.com/darknet
ggodo
.com works. Thanks guys!
Spasmodic
Small update.

These are the satellite pages.

demonwipe.com/GMWiki

Content is slowly being updated to here as a reference for GMS

OOC: demonwipe.com/darknetooc

OOC chat for the forums, unused as of yet

GM Chat: demonwipe.com/DarknetGM

Chat just for GM's.
Spasmodic
Updates:

Menu linking the important sites.

Internal chat system (under development)

Looking for Spam and News articles to provide background universe info. There is a reputation system in the works, if you submit anything throw it on the OOC board, please provide your IC forum username, there will be some kind of rep bump for anyone who supplies material.

There have been several people ask me about running an IRC game based around the site. I don't have the time personally, however a friend has agreed to run one.

Please send any enquiries on that matter to protocolture@gmail.com or PM cache on the site and i will forward those on to him
Darquewing
Sweet! Maybe I can get in some playtime smile.gif I will hit you up on the Darknet site.
MADness
Just signed up. This seems like a great resource for gaming groups. Especially ones run by people who work 12-hour shifts on the night side and whose groups include their 14-year old brothers!
Seriously Mike
Is this limited to Seattle or would you be interested in some LA-centric posters?
(if you agree - I should warn you I'll use a couple of different accounts)
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 14 2011, 12:48 AM) *
Is this limited to Seattle or would you be interested in some LA-centric posters?
(if you agree - I should warn you I'll use a couple of different accounts)

My group is in seattle, so that is where my focus has been. I would be glad to have content on the site from anywhere in universe. Multiple user accounts are also welcome, on the main darknet site.

QUOTE (MADness @ Dec 13 2011, 11:21 PM) *
Just signed up. This seems like a great resource for gaming groups. Especially ones run by people who work 12-hour shifts on the night side and whose groups include their 14-year old brothers!

I am in a similar situation, working full weeks and having my weekends eaten by family commitments.
Seriously Mike
Why do I need different accounts for each part of the site? :/

Also, I can't add a new topic on the main page, it says that the captcha was wrong, but - there's no captcha in the first place.
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 14 2011, 09:55 PM) *
Why do I need different accounts for each part of the site? :/

Vanilla forums are a very sexy newish forum with alot of helpful addons that allow me to do things well, as well as having their code laid out well also.

However, the way they organize their discussions (while looking good for the main page) sucks. The default view shows every discussion, rather than segregating things into categories. Their category system is more like tagging in a twitter feed or similar. So i had all this extra hosting space and i decided to simply build a seperate forum with a seperate database for OOC issues, seems like the only good way to keep the ooc posts seperate from everything else.

I will add a message box to the OOC forum telling people to make a new account.

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 14 2011, 09:55 PM) *
Also, I can't add a new topic on the main page, it says that the captcha was wrong, but - there's no captcha in the first place.

Havent been able to recreate this error, could you give me the full URL and username where it occurred.

Cheers
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Spasmodic @ Dec 15 2011, 07:19 AM) *
Havent been able to recreate this error, could you give me the full URL and username where it occurred.

Haven't been able to recreate this error at home, apparently my proxy/firewall/whatever at work is as retarded as the folks servicing it.
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 15 2011, 07:07 PM) *
Haven't been able to recreate this error at home, apparently my proxy/firewall/whatever at work is as retarded as the folks servicing it.

Thats cool, keep me informed if you have any other issues, the site is very much a work in progress.
Snow_Fox
the problem with 'non-hacking' players is that under the older ysstems hacker/deckers were really limited. try having the players watch a couple episodes of GitS and tell them that's hacking.
Seriously Mike
I also added a short bio of my team (Seriously Mike, Kes, Nicks and Leila) and explanation what the job I posted is about. Check the GM Wiki.
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 16 2011, 01:11 PM) *
the problem with 'non-hacking' players is that under the older ysstems hacker/deckers were really limited. try having the players watch a couple episodes of GitS and tell them that's hacking.

yeah we have been watching alot of that, it does take a good tone with hacking i think.
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 16 2011, 06:26 PM) *
I also added a short bio of my team (Seriously Mike, Kes, Nicks and Leila) and explanation what the job I posted is about. Check the GM Wiki.

Just noticed that, fantastic contribution.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Spasmodic @ Dec 16 2011, 11:23 AM) *
Just noticed that, fantastic contribution.

Looks like I'm the only contributor to the GM Wiki, others post work ads but don't explain what they are in the GM Wiki.
And I'm having massive fun writing in-character. Mike is somewhat of a "combat hacker" - he's as good with a pistol as he is with a commlink.
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 16 2011, 10:51 PM) *
Looks like I'm the only contributor to the GM Wiki, others post work ads but don't explain what they are in the GM Wiki.
And I'm having massive fun writing in-character. Mike is somewhat of a "combat hacker" - he's as good with a pistol as he is with a commlink.

I only recently put up the link to the wiki in the menu, so i expect some more contributions to trickle in as time goes on.

And writing IC is definitely a great deal of fun.
Seriously Mike
...is it dead? Nobody posted in a week!
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Jan 11 2012, 03:56 AM) *
...is it dead? Nobody posted in a week!

Sorry dude, i have been away for christmas, and i believe a lot of the other posters are in the same boat. I will be adding some more content tonight, and hopefully it will return to its former glory by the end of the week.

Spasmodic
Some more content up on the site, hopefully i have enough for every night this week.
Seriously Mike
Your Shadowrun experiment. I haz borked it.
QUOTE (cache)
Highly placed sources tell me that there is a lowband frequency wireless backdoor, not the usual one everyone turns off, but another. In three weeks this will be revealed (with information on how to shut it down) to the media in a press conference. They will be claiming it was for bug tracking (and that the cheaper option was simply to help iron out bugs for the military version) however i am not sure this is the case.

The best part? While the military grade backdoors are all encrypted using unique 1024bit keys, all of the cheapies are encrypted with the same identical key. A hacker named bascom is apparently auctioning off the common key in coming days. In effect, whoever gets this key would control the eyesight of every gang foot soldier in all of seattle for over a week.

Noticing that it's Ares gear, and Knight Errant is the company that keeps Seattle "safe", I quickly figured that one out.
QUOTE (SeriouslyMike)
Hold on... Gangers?! Guys, quick question: how's the relations between Ares and whoever is keeping Seattle "safe"?
Seriously, that has to be one hell of a truly devious sting op. I just figured it out right now. Can you see it?

People apparently didn't notice it, but then...
QUOTE (SeriouslyMike)
Plus, why do I get the feeling that your local rent-a-cops will arrest some important ganger in the coming three weeks?

Annnnd, just about now...
QUOTE (Roach)
Has anyone noticed the surge in their numbers in Redmond. It seems like a focused attack on the community. We were hiding out in a disused hab complex when a team of twenty or so swept the entire block. We barely made it out alive.

Did one of you chummers stir up a hornets nest?
Come on, at least tell me I was indeed right about this one!
mister__joshua
I've just signed up and made a few comments. LOVE the idea, and as such wanna keep this thread near the top to encourage others. smile.gif
Hamsnibit
Good idea, will sign up.
As for the matrix thing:
The whole world is layered with matrix its like another dimension which overlaps and interacts with the meatspace and should be threated as such In this manner it works very much like astral space in shadowrun expect that only awakeneds have access to it, matrix is for EVERYONE only thing you need is a link.
Dont shove it away, the corps present you a world full of anmenities at your orders for just as little nuyen.gif as thinkable possible!
Seriously Mike
Today: Mike's lecture about real coffee. Seriously, I have to write a more complete backstory for this guy, he has that Eastern European "can do" attitude that allows him to do awesome things with improvisation and blatant disregard to regulations, procedures, safety and sanity.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 15 2011, 08:11 PM) *

I've recently been telling people that Hacking in shadowrun is like being the guy with techskills in Mass Effect. Including glowey mind-holograms for your commlink.

Seems to work.
Spasmodic
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Jan 18 2012, 06:53 PM) *
Your Shadowrun experiment. I haz borked it.

Noticing that it's Ares gear, and Knight Errant is the company that keeps Seattle "safe", I quickly figured that one out.

People apparently didn't notice it, but then...

Annnnd, just about now...
Come on, at least tell me I was indeed right about this one!

Thats where i was going with that, sort of a test for me to make a few seperate posts and have them link together. If you figured it out, then it worked. In my game Knight Errant will be blasting gangers, and some of them will be blind. I have a few more of these up my sleeves, lets see if you can stay on top of it nyahnyah.gif

Spasmodic
Hey,

Sorry if this is thread ressurection, but i just wanted to mention that darknet is back. My work life went crazy and i havent had time to update, however my game started last week and i have hit the ground running. Again use the tool as you see fit, however pleae feel free to join in.

I have built some new things unique to my world, new gangs and corps, which will be explained in SeaNN "where are they now" style special reports.

And as always questions comments and criticism very much welcome.

Cheers,
Seriously Mike
Spas, Darknet's wiki is being assaulted by spambots, and not of that "SpamBotPro" kind. They routinely erase the main page to replace it with a link farm. I restored it for the third time today.
Krishach
I haven't read darknet yet, but your original issue was no one gets involved in the Matrix? It happened on my team.

Found out that one of the best ways to involve them is the metaphors and reality filter. Set up so it's their cup-o-tea. Just make sure they use the same metaphor: easy, since non-hackers seem to "borrow" the hackers reality filter constantly. But talking about a complex with patrolling guards engages more than speaking about firewalls, nodes, and admin logons.
Seriously Mike
Jesus Christ, the Darknet wiki is a mess again. We need to stop the spambots from devastating it and purge all spam pages. Any idea how to?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012