Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Equipment Reference Check
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MADness
Are there stats for glide suits? I'm looking for one for my freerunner character. Book and page number would be best.
Mister Shed
Airfoil Suit, Spy Games 160, allows gliding.
MADness
Thank you. That will help out alot.
KarmaInferno
Actual wingsuit stats are in WAR.

-k
Mister Shed
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 12 2011, 11:39 PM) *
Actual wingsuit stats are in WAR.

Based off the fluff it looks like the wingsuit in WAR (pg 164) has the wing fabric permanently out, while the wing fabric on the airfoil suit in SG seems to be retractable or at least not visible until it's used the first time (see fluff on SG pg 159). This causes me to think that the airfoil suit would probably be better for a freerunning shadowrunner since it'd be a bit less conspicuous and would probably be less likely to inhibit their acrobatics.
bibliophile20
But due to that difference, the wingsuit in SG is flown with an Exotic Vehicle skill, and the Wingsuit in WAR uses Parachuting.
Thanee
Parachuting is pretty much an exotic skill for a shadowrunner, too, so not such a big difference. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Mister Shed
True, but if this is a core piece of equipment then you're going to be spending some BP/Karma on skills for it so you don't default anyway. Which then raises the question of do you want to use Parachuting (Body) or Pilot Exotic Vehicle - Airfoil (Reaction)?

Parachuting would be more generally useful (in the off chance you have to jump out of a plane or something), but the Exotic Vehicle skill would probably have a larger dice pool for the same investment because it uses reaction (which is more commonly boosted using 'ware/magic than body is).
CanRay
Play the second mission of Saints Row The Third, and you'll see why Parachuting is a damned important skill to have.
bibliophile20
Started one convention module by dropping the PCs out of a plane. I was lucky and got a bunch of decent RPers who played the "Ahhh! Ahhh!" and "I'm not trained for this!" to the hilt.
CanRay
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Dec 13 2011, 02:06 PM) *
Started one convention module by dropping the PCs out of a plane. I was lucky and got a bunch of decent RPers who played the "Ahhh! Ahhh!" and "I'm not trained for this!" to the hilt.
Did the one guy that was trained for it go, "I live for this drek!"?
MADness
Wow, this discussion got far livelier than I thought it would! I'll have to compare the two, but the AirFoil Suit does seem to be of more use to my freerunner. Provided it really does work that way (we don't have Spy Games); but if it's retractable at will, and can be incorporated into any kind of outfit (instead of the formal wear I'm seeing in my head), it would be perfect.

I don't see why a Wing Suit in the 2070's wouldn't have retractable webbing, but if it doesn't, it doesn't.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 13 2011, 04:51 PM) *
Did the one guy that was trained for it go, "I live for this drek!"?

The one with Thrill Seeker said something to that effect, yes... biggrin.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (MADness @ Dec 13 2011, 10:06 PM) *
I don't see why a Wing Suit in the 2070's wouldn't have retractable webbing, but if it doesn't, it doesn't.
With memory plastics maybe. But there's the bad taste of the M$ game in our mouth over "Retractable Glide Systems".

Here's another alternative that has a tradition rooted in the '80s.
Christian Lafay
This!. Now add sixty years.
CanRay
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Dec 14 2011, 02:50 PM) *
This!. Now add sixty years.
Put some lasers on it, and... COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRA!!!
MADness
FPMV is nifty, but not really in the vein of what I'm shooting for. The other two are, I'll have to play around in the books and on the interwebs to see if I can find something better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012