Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon size and weapon mounts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dakka Dakka
The distinction between regular and reinforced weapon mounts got me thinking. What kinds of weapons are larger than an LMG?
Sniper/Hunting Rifles are longer than an LMG but not wider or higher due to the much smaller magazine etc.
Anti Materiel Rifles probably are larger
A grenade launcher stated as pistol sized obviously should not be larger, and regular ones shouldn't either as long as you are talking about something like the M32 MGL and not a GMG.
ARs which come equipped with underbarrel grenade launchers should not be larger, but what happens to after market underbarrel grenade launchers? According to RAW they modify the weapon's concealability by a ridiculous +4. Are they now too large?
Stahlseele
MMG's
HMG's
AC's
MiniGuns
Dakka Dakka
the first 3 are obvious but why is a minigun constructed from an LMG significantly larger than an LMG?
KarmaInferno
Typically they have the parts of three to six LMGs, plus a battery system, plus a huge ammo feed system.

So yeah, even if they have the same caliber an LMG minigun is gonna be considerably larger than an LMG.

XM-14 5.56 Caliber Minigun vs. M249 5.56 Caliber SAW.

Hollywood does tend to gloss over all the extra gear needed to run a mini-gun. The battery/electrical feed is typically hidden from the camera, as is the ammo supply. Those alone can take up the space of a few of regular LMGs, nevermind the minigun itself.

In Terminator 2, you see Arnold hosing police cars with a mini-gun. However, you never directly see full body shots of him fire more than a second or two. This is because when filming, they didn't attach the ammo box but instead just had the feed track hanging under the weapon with a very short belt of ammo inside it. They had a fake empty ammo box hanging behind him. The electrical feed for the motor was hidden in a cable running down the inside of Arnold's pant leg, through a hole in the floor.

-k
Stahlseele
because it's, essentially, SEVERAL LMG's.
so it HAS to be larger. At least in diameter.
It's heavier, bulkier, has a construction to hold the barrels and the motor.
and the ammo feed.
Yerameyahu
Because vehicles are a pain, I'm fine with all of those things being larger than LMGs for that purpose. biggrin.gif
Dakka Dakka
I'm convinced. I had the Minigun form Predator in mind. it does not look that big.
CanRay
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 23 2011, 12:25 PM) *
I'm convinced. I had the Minigun form Predator in mind. it does not look that big.
"Time to take ol' Painless out of her bag."
KarmaInferno
The minigun from Predator is literally the same minigun Arnold uses in Terminator 2.

They just hid more than half the support equipment. Hollywood magic.

-k
CanRay
I'm well aware. In fact, during T2, Arny was the only person able to comfortably able to carry it around, and was occasionally called to move it.

Also, his daughter was very worried about him when he had his make-up on, "Daddy Hurt?"
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 23 2011, 05:46 PM) *
I'm well aware. In fact, during T2, Arny was the only person able to comfortably able to carry it around, and was occasionally called to move it.

Also, his daughter was very worried about him when he had his make-up on, "Daddy Hurt?"

great, i now imagine arnold walking around the set carrying a minigun with him at most times . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 23 2011, 01:12 PM) *
great, i now imagine arnold walking around the set carrying a minigun with him at most times . .
Nah, just during that one scene.

Another story (I love Commentary Tracks!) is that when Arny was doing the Bar Scene just after time jumping, he was doing it in Boxer Shorts, and a drunk woman somehow got through security and into the bar, demanding, "Wha th'fug's goin' on?"

Arny didn't even pause, "It's Male Stripper Night, Baby!"

Yes, that segues into T3. And explains the Elton John sunglasses. nyahnyah.gif
Udoshi
At least in our game, LMGs and Assault Cannons are about the same size.(if a dude can carry it, it can fit in a drone) Grenade launchers fit in vehicles, but rocket launchers are probably a bit too big. MMGs and bigger are reinforced mount only.
Stahlseele
There are several man portable rocket launchers in SR O.o
Even some with Single Auto and automatic reloading from a back worn unit.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Dec 23 2011, 08:50 PM) *
At least in our game, LMGs and Assault Cannons are about the same size.(if a dude can carry it, it can fit in a drone)
I think you have a perception of those weapons that does not match the description in the books.
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 320 on the Stoner-Ares M202')
Due to its comparatively smaller size, it’s a very popular secondary weapon for military vehicles, but can also be equipped with various accessories to make it into a personal weapon.
Not an LMG but an MMG is hardly smaller than an LMG.
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 320 on the Panther XXL')
This enormous assault cannon fires special ammunition common to the primary weapon in many small tanks

Grenade launchers fit in vehicles, but rocket launchers are probably a bit too big.
At least one should be small enough:
QUOTE ('SR4A p 320 on the Aztechnology Striker')
The Striker is an extremely light disposable launcher—perfect for shadowrunners who want to deliver a
punch and make a quick, unencumbered getaway.
Whether you want to waste a weapon mount on a one shot weapon (and a highly inaccurate at that) is a different question.

MMGs and bigger are reinforced mount only.
On vehicles of course. This does not mean however that they cannot be man-/troll-portable.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 23 2011, 04:00 PM) *
There are several man portable rocket launchers in SR O.o
Yeah, one in SR4A and at least one in Arsenal.

I'd look them up, but tired.
Stahlseele
10 go bed
20 sleep
30 go to 20
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 23 2011, 04:53 PM) *
10 go bed
20 sleep
30 go to 20
Oh, if only I could BASIC myself to sleep like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012