Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HellBoy (The Movie)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zolhex
I just saw the movie HellBoy today & had a thought (ouch that hurt).

Now to try to not give away to much about the movie.

In the movie they are battling demons & magic. Now HellBoy has some nice ammo for his gun so any thoughts as to adapting the weapons so as to work in a shadowrun setting?

What about some sort of power or mutant that can do the things that HellBoy and company can do? (I.E. like Selma Blair's character)

What about creating an agency like the one in the movie backed by either the U.C.A.S.? (which would be most likely) Created as mana returned to the world & staffed by more or less old school military & scientific people.

Just some thoughts for you to kick around lets see who comes up with what.
kevyn668
I haven't seen the movie but I'll take a stab at the general bits.

Agency to deal w/ Super-/Paranatural forces of evil....Draco Foundation. Ares. UCAS (not so much). The Tirs (even less)

I don't know about Selma Blair but Hellboy looks and acts suspiciously like a short, Troll PhysAd. Or a big Ork PhysAd.

How'd I do?

Cray74
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
In the movie they are battling demons & magic. Now HellBoy has some nice ammo for his gun so any thoughts as to adapting the weapons so as to work in a shadowrun setting?

Shotgun-caliber pistol? I think tracer rounds and various gel/hollow capsule rounds are covered in Cannon Companion.

What about creating an agency like the one in the movie backed by either the U.C.A.S.? (which would be most likely) Created as mana returned to the world & staffed by more or less old school military & scientific people.

A subdivision of the FBI or other existing bureaucratic organization. New threats = battlefield for existing bureaucracies seeking larger budgets.

What about some sort of power or mutant that can do the things that HellBoy and company can do? (I.E. like Selma Blair's character)

Spells and new magic "traditions." Magic already covers psionics and the like, so why not some nutty pyro-only casters?

Diesel
If any of you have played the Dark Matter Alternity shiznit, they have this thing called the Hoffman Institute. I pretty much ran with that, using copious amounts of information from the modern-day Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency (http://www.fvza.org, tell me it's not real and I'll kill you) to create the Hoffman Institute for Paranormal Studies. The players are members of PAIN, (PAranormal Investigation / Neutrailization), and kick some serious ass, be it undead, demonic, or from space. And bug spirits and shedim and shit too.

They all carry big guns, and sidearms for you know, themselves. I don't blame them.

The institute is run by the Draco foundation, with "black" funding from most North American governments. It's recruitment is almost entirely street based, as federal and corporate agents can't be trusted to stay loyal when they find out their government / corp is responsible for the latest wave of vampiric zombie bug spirit elemental dragon shedims. Granted, funding is often revoked after a major hit on a UCAS lab, but reinstated when an Aztlan zombie factory goes up the same night.

They seem to like it, good luck.
Crimsondude 2.0
The UCAS FBI has a Paranormal Investigation Division.

There is also the second T (for Telesma) in the BATTF (the SR version of the modern-day BATFE, aka ATF). I assume that Customs is also involved.

The DoJ Magical Security Task Force (in conjunction with TT and several universities).

There is also the Lone Star Division of Paranormal Investigations.

The Knight Errant Awakened Control Centers.

Etc.
gknoy
QUOTE (Cray74)
Spells and new magic "traditions." Magic already covers psionics and the like, so why not some nutty pyro-only casters?

Wouldn't this be simply a normal mage with powerbold/ball and fire-related elemental spells? (and probably the distinctive style flaw, or obvious, or something?)
kevyn668
There are, in fact, shotgun pistols. wink.gif

If I can figure out how to do it on this damn Mac I'll post 'em. Otherwise, maybe tomorrow.
Zolhex
Well Let me say shotgun pistols are a thought.

HellBoy as a physad not bad but I'm not sure that fully covers all that he can do I'll have to read up on all the powers and see.

Sparky I could see being say a fire elementalist? flame aura and what not. However need something like hellblast back in the game for the explosion effect. Remember she says she has passed out from going off, some times for days.

As to the Draco foundation my only problem with them is they were not around before the awakening. I was thinking of creating an agency that was formed because of things uncovered due to mana spikes. As I said staffed by old guard people kinda like black ops here is 20 billion or so make due. With what they find out they are able to make money off of artifacts and what not after magic returns. They are black ops type people been on there own for more than 60? years who's to say they don't have moles planted here and there to divert some funding their way. Also there is no telling if anyone knows that they are still there, while there have been rumors It's been so long that most think they never existed.

Ok that got long winded but there browse that and tell me what you think. cool.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Sparky I could see being say a fire elementalist? flame aura and what not. However need something like hellblast back in the game for the explosion effect. Remember she says she has passed out from going off, some times for days.

Sounds like a B-priority caster that likes to unleash Deadly Drain spells.

I was thinking of creating an agency that was formed because of things uncovered due to mana spikes. As I said staffed by old guard people kinda like black ops here is 20 billion or so make due.

Sounds like a deniable division of the FBI, CIA, NSA, DEA, Homeland Security, etc. I say pick the FBI (if you want to emphasize crime fighting) or the CIA (if you want to emphasize artifact gathering).
kevyn668
To build off Cray's idea, you could have both agencies running their own programs. Then you get into the polical claptrap that we have today. Eachside keeps secrets from the other...
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Timeline Explorer)

2016 - In the U.S.A., intelligence agencies such as the CIA and FBI begin to integrate magicians into their organizations. (Shadowrun Second Edition)

Like I mentioned before, the FBI has a whole division devoted to magical crimes, and there is a Justice Department task force specifically tasked with magical defense.

The issue of exactly how magic is addressed in the CIA was a hot topic of debate on the Intelligence Agencies thread.
Zazen
I'd like to chime in and say that watching Hellboy was slightly less fun than having a homeless person puke on my shoes. What a lame flick.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Timeline Explorer)

2016 - In the U.S.A., intelligence agencies such as the CIA and FBI begin to integrate magicians into their organizations. (Shadowrun Second Edition)

Like I mentioned before, the FBI has a whole division devoted to magical crimes, and there is a Justice Department task force specifically tasked with magical defense.

The issue of exactly how magic is addressed in the CIA was a hot topic of debate on the Intelligence Agencies thread.

That's all well and good but my thoughts were more towards some type of agency that was around before the awakeing Crimsondude 2.0. I was just woundering if my fellow dumpshockers had any thoughts for createing said agency.

I'd like to chime in and say that watching Hellboy was slightly less fun than having a homeless person puke on my shoes. What a lame flick.

Um ok Zazen seeing as this is a free country I live in I'll give you your point of view. However in that case you have to put up with mine. Mine being that you apperaently are too young to remember the older style of comic book movies that by todays standards are more or less cheesey. But that was one thing I liked about it, it reminded me of the classical comic book movie just with better special effects. But hey that's my opinion and you have yours just a thought though you may want to stay away from the new movie Captain Skycaptain coming out soon.

Sounds like a B-priority caster that likes to unleash Deadly Drain spells.

Just for your info if you don't know elementalist's are priorty A they cast and summon just with limitations. Yes that is cannon.
Zazen
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Mine being that you apperaently are too young to remember the older style of comic book movies that by todays standards are more or less cheesey.

Like what?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Zazen @ Apr 7 2004, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F. @ Apr 7 2004, 04:20 PM)
Mine being that you apperaently are too young to remember the older style of comic book movies that by todays standards are more or less cheesey.

Like what?

Try finding the '66 Batman movie...
Zazen
I love that flick. My favorite part is when he tries to dispose of a bomb, only to find nuns, cute ducklings, infants etc. everywhere he looks.

But it's not "cheesy by todays standards". It's just cheesy, and intentionally so.
Mimick
Hellboy was good for what it was. A highly americanized, highly changed version of a perfectly good comic. Or rather, a cheesy action movie.

But anyways, on to the actual topic...

Capsule rounds and imagination will get you far. Especially with a ruger super warhawk (hellboy had to have a large revolver because his stone right hand is too unwieldy. I suppose he could get by with an extra large clip-loaded weapon, not unlike Alucard's pistols from Hellsing).

You'd have to give him a form of regeneration, as he actually does heal quite quickly. And couple that with a ton of strength. So off the top of my head and without consulting books he'd have to be a physad with great leap, immovable, and attribute boost at some high level. I'd give him astral perception (he can see things normal people can't, read the comics) and mystic armor just because he's a badass. Add body control at a high level and you're starting to cook with gas.

In canon terms...well, the problem with suppositions and conversions like this is that comic characters aren't canon, so most of the time you just have to wing it. So just make sure he's got decent physical stats, horns (filed, yes), and hooves (IIRC Hellboy has hooves in the comics). Skills are skills, I feel no need or burning desire to postulate on skills, though I recommend a surprising amount of knowledge skills on the occult, paranormal animals, spirits, etc. The professor was big on making Hellboy study, not that he paid much attention, making sure he had at least a working knowledge of these things. And physical skills are a piece of cake.

Now just check your numbers to make sure Hellboy won't get cacked by some loser out of the gate, without making him completely invincible (that's balance, folks) because he does indeed get his ass handed to him quite often.

As for the agency, IIRC it's based in Britain. Hellboy isn't the huge covered-up secret he was in the movie, in fact he's kind of a celebrity (even has a photo with the US prez). The agency survives on grant money from plenty of places, notably the US, and responds to 'situations' worldwide. Not that everyone who meets Hellboy and company are entirely comfortable with them, most will defer that they are best qualified to handle most of the freaky stuff. Especially when a lot of locals end up dead.

Now, just insert into your game world and BAM, you've got a lame comic book adaptation in your rpg. wobble.gif
Darkest Angel
I'm going to ignore the Hellboy thing, but from what I gather I'd say he sounds like a Magician Adept with some funky SURGE effects.

Anyway... As far as the organisation goes, you seem determined to have it started out before the awakening, this is fine, it gives you 2 choices:

1) Make something up.
2) Tweak the history, just because the Draco Foundation didn't start up before 2011, and the FBI and CIA didn't start officially drafting in Magicians until a while after, does not mean the foundations for those pivotal acts were no in place long before, it is in fact highly unlikely that one day someone said "Hey let's make the Draco Foundation", and the next day it was a major player in the sixth world. Same goes for the FBI, there are plenty of documented cases around the world where 'Psychics' have helped out law enforcement today, so I don't think it unreasonable that outside help couldn't have been slowly but surely drafted in prior to the official announcement.
Zazen
QUOTE (Mimick)
Hellboy was good for what it was. A highly americanized, highly changed version of a perfectly good comic. Or rather, a cheesy action movie.

There are good cheesy action movies, though. Die Hard is as cheesy as they come, but still about a billion times as fun and exciting as the cinematic turd that is Hellboy.
Mimick
QUOTE (Zazen)
There are good cheesy action movies, though. Die Hard is as cheesy as they come, but still about a billion times as fun and exciting as the cinematic turd that is Hellboy.

So there are good and bad cheesy movies. I own a ton of them, good and bad, and I can name even more. Heck, I think cheese should be its own genre. The subject fascinates me. Look at horror movies. Why are there so many bad ones? Because filmmakers keep making them intentionally so (though in some cases they just suck, period). Rent Route 666 (with Lou Diamond Phillips, no less) and try to tell me they were seriously attempting to scare people.

What's your point, besides you didn't like Hellboy? It's a matter of opinion, and I happened to enjoy the movie, not that I'm going to go out and buy it or anything.
Zazen
I'm trying to discredit the notion that it's enough for a movie to be light, fun, have lots of cool effects, etc. instead of being good. Because I hate that notion.
Smiley
QUOTE (Zazen @ Apr 8 2004, 11:19 AM)
I'm trying to discredit the notion that it's enough for a movie to be light, fun, have lots of cool effects, etc. instead of being good. Because I hate that notion.

What good IS a movie if it's not fun? That's the whole point. Sometimes it's the really really BAD ones that are the most fun to watch... say, with friends, a few beers, and some MST3K-style lampooning.
Diesel
Like Spiderman! *ducks out*
Zolhex
QUOTE (Smiley)
QUOTE (Zazen @ Apr 8 2004, 11:19 AM)

What good IS a movie if it's not fun? That's the whole point. Sometimes it's the really really BAD ones that are the most fun to watch... say, with friends, a few beers, and some MST3K-style lampooning.

Now see that what I'm talking about some movies have a purpose. I mean it's like when some friends and I went to see warlock 2 (3?) in theaters we go in sit like 4 or 5 rows away from the front there are maybe 20-25 people total in the auditorium. Now the movie was good (in my opinion) but when the devil or what ever it was he was supposed to be was hauling as_ down the road and they showed you this rabbit. Well one of my friends who is obsesed with Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd in kill the wabbit stands up on the seat and yells KILL THE WABBIT a few times & sure enough splat. Now mind you this is on opening day so no ones seen the movie yet so when he yells this & it happens it was a laugh riot other people in the theater laughed right along with us it rocked. I had another friend who was general manager of a theater, so I got to watch movies before the offical release day. Cool movie (again in my opinion) Cool World while high (pot) the movie rocked! (not that bad of flick when not high either) Now HellBoy is one of those movies I'd buy it call up my friends and we'll watch it and more than likely tear it appart but he it'll be fun once again.

To Mimick I like what you wrote thanks for the ideas to work with/on great postings. (yes I saw route 666 your right)
Smiley
The same thing happened when i saw The Two Towers. When Sam finds the food that Gollum pitched down the mountain, one of the guys i was with started singing that 'Popeye eating spinach' song.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012