Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept Initiatory groups
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ggodo
Hey, I'm writing some NPC background and I'm looking for adept specialized initiatory groups. I figure they've gotta be out there, but I don't know of any in canon off the top of my head, and rummaging through Street Magic didn't get me anything, and my old edition collection is seriously lacking. Any mentions of initiatory groups with adept focuses in the past?
NiL_FisK_Urd
Street Magic, p.71 - "Gladio"
Paul
I believe the London Sourcebook made reference to something similar...(Wilson's Work Out page 82), and I suspect there so many more of these-mainly in the form of athletic clubs-out there than traditional orders.
ggodo
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Dec 24 2011, 01:45 PM) *
Street Magic, p.71 - "Gladio"

Welp. I'm blind. I was reading the part about Initiatory groups on p. 50

Edit: Sadly after looking at them, they're not the type of thing I'm looking for, so it looks like I'm making my own.
Fatum
I like Shadowrun as a setting precisely because everything the rules allow that makes sense most likely already exists. A few things more than that, too :3
So no need to limit your own fantasy - surely these groups exist, and you could also try to tie one up to your campaign's wider plot...
nylanfs
Fight Club smile.gif
ggodo
QUOTE (ggodo @ Dec 24 2011, 02:41 PM) *
Welp. I'm blind. I was reading the part about Initiatory groups on p. 50

Edit: Sadly after looking at them, they're not the type of thing I'm looking for, so it looks like I'm making my own.

This was actually for DDH#3, so I wanted to use an established one to save some work writing up a new initiatory group, and have something that the general public could look at as reference. Plus
I doubt Redjack has space for an initiatory group for adepts.
Snow_Fox
as others saaid, just because there isn't copious things in the books doesn't mean you can't make them. When I read your original post, what sprung to my mind at once was a nijitsu dojo a visited a few times. The team interaction and training worked well together and they built off each other's moves.

like wise classes of martial artists or even boxers at a gym, gymnastics clubs for little girls and so forth. They are individual sports not teams but they help and encourage each other to become better.
QUOTE (ggodo @ Dec 24 2011, 10:39 PM) *
Any mentions of initiatory groups with adept focuses in the past?

MOONLIGHT THORNS [Grimoire 2, p61]
A group composed of physical adepts, the Moonlight Thorns are the private bodyguards of a high Tir Tairngire nobleman. They are also rumored to be his elite assassins.
Name: Moonlight Thorns
Type: Conspiratorial
Members: 5
Limitations: Elves only. Physical adepts only.
Strictures: Exclusive membership. Link. Oath. Obedience (to lord as well as group superiors). Secrecy.
Resources/Dues: Luxury level. No dues. Members are luxuriously housed in their patron's estate, where they maintain a well-stocked dojo and armory. The group maintains safe houses as needed on missions.
Patron: Tir Tairngire nobleman.
Customs: Members are fanatically loyal to their patron, and some have sacrificed their lives to save his. According to rumors about the Thorns as assassins, none will return alive from an unsuccessful mission: they either kill their target or die trying.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 29 2011, 07:23 AM) *
as others saaid, just because there isn't copious things in the books doesn't mean you can't make them. When I read your original post, what sprung to my mind at once was a nijitsu dojo a visited a few times. The team interaction and training worked well together and they built off each other's moves.

like wise classes of martial artists or even boxers at a gym, gymnastics clubs for little girls and so forth. They are individual sports not teams but they help and encourage each other to become better.

OK, so you start with Seattle Martial Arts. A string of Dojo's found all across the Sprawl. 20 and counting. 50 nuyen.gif a month, 100 for a full family membership. The teach Kali (Judo) to beginners and Arnis de Mano to those who have proven their worth. Each school is run by an adept who is a member of the Kaibigan de Seattle (Friends of Seattle) initiatory group, which is the local branch of Kaibigan de Lahat (friends of everyone, or friends of the world). These things are known to everyone who cares and has a comm-link.
But the purpose of these schools and the groups of "friends" are to identify adepts and bring them into the fold. The most promising are sent to their secret camp in the Philipines where they are taught security, infiltraion, and assassination techniques. I'm not sure why yet, but the point is, the schools serve as both income to offset the expenses and a recruiting tool.
Fatum
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Jan 1 2012, 12:38 AM) *
OK, so you start with Seattle Martial Arts. A string of Dojo's found all across the Sprawl. 20 and counting. 50 nuyen.gif a month, 100 for a full family membership. The teach Kali (Judo) to beginners and Arnis de Mano to those who have proven their worth. Each school is run by an adept who is a member of the Kaibigan de Seattle (Friends of Seattle) initiatory group, which is the local branch of Kaibigan de Lahat (friends of everyone, or friends of the world). These things are known to everyone who cares and has a comm-link.
But the purpose of these schools and the groups of "friends" are to identify adepts and bring them into the fold. The most promising are sent to their secret camp in the Philipines where they are taught security, infiltraion, and assassination techniques. I'm not sure why yet, but the point is, the schools serve as both income to offset the expenses and a recruiting tool.
>Friends of Everyone
>Universal Brotherhood
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Fatum @ Dec 31 2011, 01:57 PM) *
>Friends of Everyone
>Universal Brotherhood

Yea, but it went backwards. I started with Friends of Seattle, and ended with Friends of the World.

I was thinking something more along the lines of the Matadors from Steve Perry's books or The League of Shadows from Batman. Or maybe a blind front for one of the big brains of the shadowrun world to recruit talent or unknowingly place pawns in position, or both. Which, I guess is what Emile did in the Matador books.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012