Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Duels] Rules Clarification
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Everial
The damage rules (in case people haven't noticed) are rather screwy...

On another note, because of his limited range, Lothan is not worth 4 points...

sorry, I was going to be more specific, but I just lost all energy.

[Edit] Sorry...

Some of my various gripes:

1. Lothan the Wise has awful magic range. By the time you can use him, you might as well use G-Dogg (the stun makes him very evil)

2. Liada will eat most (if not all the other characters) on a suitably large surface, running away and sniping them to death.

3. The damage and ace rules are unclear. Do magic / tech (red/black) aces apply when used to augment various firearms or melee tests?

4. Supposedly one does a 'click' of damage for every die that remains after the attack / dodge test. If the result becomes such so that the totals are equal, no dice would logically remain. However, the previous page of the manual asserts that ties go to the attacker and result in a 'hit/success'.

5. The tape measures have +1s on some of the ranges, apparently corresponding with the extra damage click effect noted by the explosion symbol the characters' bases. The only time this does not happen is with the Yakuza character, at some point Wizkids stopped printing +1s on her Green line. (Wizkids error or no extra damage in that range?)

6. You can't actually fit Lothan the Wise's extra hands or his SMG into the black storage base, nor can one get him to stand on his base.
Zen Shooter01
#1 Well, Lothan has an extra click of damage he can take over G-Dogg, and Lothan has some shields G-Dogg doesn't. He is a bit slow and short-ranged, though.

#2 Liada makes a good sniper, it's true. Rush her with G-Dogg, which makes her into hamburger very quickly, or counter-snipe with Kyushi or another Liada. (Or combine Kyushi and G-Dogg against her, which is very effective.)

#3 Yes.

#4 I think you've misunderstood things here. It works like this: the attacker chooses attack dice; let's say Kyushi rolls her gd10 and rd4. If those two dice come up the same number, she loses them both to bad karma and the attack fails -- bad karma is the only time the attacker can lose dice. If bad karma is avoided, she totals up her two dice plus her current attack value.
Before the attack dice were rolled, the defender decided whether or not to commit any dice to defense. Let's say G-Dogg commits his wd6; he rolls it, and adds the result to his base defense value. This total is Kyushi's target number.
Kyushi equals or exceeds the target number, and G-Dogg is hit. Kyushi does two clicks of damage because she rolled two dice to make the attack, plus one more click for her +1 green damage modifier on her base.
The big point is, nothing the defender does in dodging costs the attacker dice -- it just raises the attacker's target number.
I'm getting all this from the advanced rules, which are available free at Wizkids website.

#5 I'd say that if the tape measure and the base disagree, go with the base.

#6 You're right, not all of Lothan's accessories will fit in his base. My Lothan stands just fine -- try bending his knees a little, and/or tilting him forward a little at the hip joints, and don't forget that his ankles are articulated.

Everial
With proper gear (and a large surface) no one should ever catch Liada without her making a lousy roll and the other character making an extremely lucky roll.
Kagetenshi
Agreed. G-Dogg has the best chance of taking out Liada, but I'd still favour her by a decent margin.

~J
Guido the Enforcer
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
#1 Well, Lothan has an extra click of damage he can take over G-Dogg, and Lothan has some shields G-Dogg doesn't. He is a bit slow and short-ranged, though.

#2 Liada makes a good sniper, it's true. Rush her with G-Dogg, which makes her into hamburger very quickly, or counter-snipe with Kyushi or another Liada. (Or combine Kyushi and G-Dogg against her, which is very effective.)

#3 Yes.

#4 I think you've misunderstood things here. It works like this: the attacker chooses attack dice; let's say Kyushi rolls her gd10 and rd4. If those two dice come up the same number, she loses them both to bad karma and the attack fails -- bad karma is the only time the attacker can lose dice. If bad karma is avoided, she totals up her two dice plus her current attack value.
Before the attack dice were rolled, the defender decided whether or not to commit any dice to defense. Let's say G-Dogg commits his wd6; he rolls it, and adds the result to his base defense value. This total is Kyushi's target number.
Kyushi equals or exceeds the target number, and G-Dogg is hit. Kyushi does two clicks of damage because she rolled two dice to make the attack, plus one more click for her +1 green damage modifier on her base.
The big point is, nothing the defender does in dodging costs the attacker dice -- it just raises the attacker's target number.
I'm getting all this from the advanced rules, which are available free at Wizkids website.

#5 I'd say that if the tape measure and the base disagree, go with the base.

#6 You're right, not all of Lothan's accessories will fit in his base. My Lothan stands just fine -- try bending his knees a little, and/or tilting him forward a little at the hip joints, and don't forget that his ankles are articulated.

Here's where I'm a bit confused (played my first game yesterday). And I understand where the original poster is coming from.

Let's say I roll two yellow and one black die. My opponent rolls one white on defense. My two yellows come up 4's, my black comes up an ace. I have to remove my two 4's, but my base attack of 8 beats out the overall defence of 6 (5 + a 1 rolled on defense). How exactly is damage resolved in that combat situation?
Zen Shooter01
In that situation, Guido, you would do one click of damage, plus whatever the ace is worth (a black ace removed a piece of the target's gear, I think).
You must roll dice to make an attack, and you did. Two of them were lost to bad karma, but your total still beats the target's defense, so it's a hit. You lost two out of three dice, leaving you with one die, which equals one click of damage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012