Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Code Of Conduct Concept: No Freebies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
bibliophile20
An idea for a code of conduct for a bounty hunter NPC that I'm working on. (Inspired to a degree by Eliot from Leverage, in that he's a very violently capable individual that prefers not to kill unless it's absolutely necessary). Thoughts?

No Freebies
"Killing someone, that says something. And that's often not something worth saying... but sometimes is. But I'm not willing to say it for any cut-rate thug or corpsec guard, nah, if I'm gonna say it, it's gonna be worth it, either for rep or money."

The code of "No Freebies" is based off a few concepts: first, with the deadliness of weapons, it's easy to kill--it's harder to disable. Thus, not killing your opposition while taking them out is its own advertisement of skill (and more than a touch of arrogance...). Second, Lone Star and Knight Errant aren't gonna put Assault at the same priority as Murder One; killing that thug or corpsec isn't worth the heat their bodies'll bring down. And third, having the rep for not killing allows for increasing the price when it is called for--and, even then, the target has to deserve it.

Advantages: The character gains a +2 modifier to Social tests when in situations where his reputation will have an effect, over and above his Street Cred modifier. This includes situations such as negotiating for pay ("Y'know I'm discreet and won't bring down the heat"), or intimidating a group of thugs ("Listen boys, do you really want to get your asses kicked?") and so forth.

Disadvantages: The character cannot kill his opponents, unless he is being adequately compensated and the target has at least 4 points of Notoriety derived from sources of callousness or heinous activities.
Glyph
I could see this code giving a bonus when professionalism comes into play, but I have a hard time seeing a code of no killing giving an intimidation bonus. At most, I see it as a wash - "He's so good, he can take people out without killing them" balanced out by "Nah, he won't kill us. He only kills people when he gets paid a whole lotta money."
Brainpiercing7.62mm
Um, how are non-lethal effects more skillful? Basically you have to make the effort of taking Gel rounds or Cheat&shock, so... duh, that's a no-brainer. Basically that's nothing else than good policy.
Udoshi
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Jan 9 2012, 11:31 PM) *
Disadvantages: The character cannot kill his opponents, unless he is being adequately compensated and the target has at least 4 points of Notoriety derived from sources of callousness or heinous activities.

Oh just make them take Pacifist 1 and give them 1 bonus Street Cred at start for being a low-impact fighter.
Street cred adds to social checks btw
If I were the GM, I would say this smacks of free points: the character won't kill [which is actually in the character's best interests most of the time anyway], unless they really really deserve it, and he's getting paid really well. And then to "balance" that, a bonus to Reputation? ["Tell me again why, 'This guy won't kill us,' is Intimidation, again?" sounds like one of the sorts of sarcastic, dickish things I'd likely say.]

I would let someone roleplay the character, absolutely. But I wouldn't give them build points for it.
LurkerOutThere
As others have pointed out paradoxically in Shadowrun it's really easy to go non lethal so it's not much of a hardship.
Paul
I'll throw my weight behind what others, specifically 3278, have said. Building your reputation should be it's own reward.
CanRay
QUOTE (Paul @ Jan 10 2012, 09:51 PM) *
Building your reputation should be it's own reward.
Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"
Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."
bibliophile20
Alright. Comments and suggestions noted.
ChewyGranola
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 10 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"
Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Thank you thank you thank you for quoting Firefly. Shadowrunners in Space!!!!!!
CanRay
QUOTE (ChewyGranola @ Jan 10 2012, 11:09 PM) *
Thank you thank you thank you for quoting Firefly. Shadowrunners in Space!!!!!!
Jayne: "Damn straight."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012