Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dangling plotthreads. What's buggin' you?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wakshaani
Leaving aside Big D's Will, which is a whole thing in and of itself, what dangling plot threads are out there that have been bugging you or that need to be resolved? It can be as old as "Who slipped the weakness into Plastisteel-7 ™ from DNA/DOA?" to as new as "Who was Kane talking to in Street Legends Supplimental?"

Whatever it is, there's a plot thread that, to your knowledge, has never been followed up on.

The more the merrier, folks. I want enough thread in here to knit a sweater by the time we're done.
Dr.Rockso
Who was Darius St Georges' (the Johnson from On the Run) employer? Was supposed to be revealed in an upcoming product.

When is someone going to bring back the Red Hot Nukes gang? Or at least determine what happened to them.
ravensmuse
The first one that came to mind was Calozerca from Dragons of the Sixth World. They never did follow up on a bunch of the plot threads from that book, now that I think about it..

And they really dropped the ball post-Emergence; you could tell that Synner wanted to do a whole bunch more stuff, but never got the chance to. Sad, honestly; the fight for AI and virtuakinetic rights sounded interesting.

I know there's other's I've thought about.
Draco18s
Just FYI:
Big D's will was supposed to be loose ends. The entire thing was designed as plot hook ideas for GMs to do whatever with.

Sure, a few of them got resolved officially, but the majority of them were intentionally left unresolved.
ggodo
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 11 2012, 04:37 PM) *
The first one that came to mind was Calozerca from Dragons of the Sixth World. They never did follow up on a bunch of the plot threads from that book, now that I think about it..

And they really dropped the ball post-Emergence; you could tell that Synner wanted to do a whole bunch more stuff, but never got the chance to. Sad, honestly; the fight for AI and virtuakinetic rights sounded interesting.

I know there's other's I've thought about.

I've always thought they should mention the other named Dragons a bit more, just because it's easy to forget that they're there. I'm hoping the dragon war gives them so screentime.

The AI plots need to be handled because no one seems to be able to agree on how common, how integrated, and how powerful these AIs are. That's a huge piece of setting altering information and it's just hanging there.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (ggodo @ Jan 12 2012, 01:57 AM) *
I've always thought they should mention the other named Dragons a bit more, just because it's easy to forget that they're there. I'm hoping the dragon war gives them so screentime.

The AI plots need to be handled because no one seems to be able to agree on how common, how integrated, and how powerful these AIs are. That's a huge piece of setting altering information and it's just hanging there.

I'll say that one of the ideas I have floating around, but that I haven't moved up to Official Proposal Status, is a "10 AIs" thing, akin to 10 Jackpointers or 10 Gangs. Just a cheap lil' PDF to get some creative juices flowin'.
Sengir
Evo's Mars stuff, with dragon skeletons and artificial manasphere and everything
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 12 2012, 03:37 PM) *
Evo's Mars stuff, with dragon skeletons and artificial manasphere and everything

I always wondered if Earth's manasphere was transported to Mars would it stay on Earth's cycle or awaken it's own.
Stormdrake
What is going on with the dragon that was released from his magical prison by shadowrunners and who put him there in the last cycle?
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Jan 12 2012, 04:17 PM) *
What is going on with the dragon that was released from his magical prison by shadowrunners and who put him there in the last cycle?

Calozerca smile.gif Mentioned him upthread smile.gif

Forgot about the Mars thing. Remember that there's been one successful trip to Mars that came back during '61...
Rystefn
I don't want an official answer to anything on Mars. That's one of the dangling plot threads I like to thread into my games. Usually it's pretty tangential, but I might one day send a team up there, and I don't want to have to fight the canon story again.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jan 12 2012, 09:50 AM) *
I'll say that one of the ideas I have floating around, but that I haven't moved up to Official Proposal Status, is a "10 AIs" thing, akin to 10 Jackpointers or 10 Gangs. Just a cheap lil' PDF to get some creative juices flowin'.

That would be awesome - go for it!

Personally, I'd like a continuation of the Tempo storyline -
[ Spoiler ]

I know Synner had plans for that, but just dropping it seems a waste.

More on Arleesh and her personal 'quest' would be great.
ChewyGranola
Whatever happened to Martin DeVries (spelling?)?. You know, the vampire hunter guy. He was all over Shadowland, had a novel...now nothing. Did something happen to him canonically?
CanRay
QUOTE (ChewyGranola @ Jan 13 2012, 06:55 PM) *
Whatever happened to Martin DeVries (spelling?)?. You know, the vampire hunter guy. He was all over Shadowland, had a novel...now nothing. Did something happen to him canonically?
Street Legends.

EDIT: The book, not the PDF-Only Supplemental.
ChewyGranola
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 13 2012, 05:58 PM) *
Street Legends.

EDIT: The book, not the PDF-Only Supplemental.

Wait, so what happened? I don't mind of you ruin it twirl.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Jan 12 2012, 06:48 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Yah, there were plans for that, but I don't think anyone who was involved in those conversations still works on Shadowrun.
The Jake
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Jan 12 2012, 11:48 PM) *
That would be awesome - go for it!

[ Spoiler ]

Here here!

- J.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jan 14 2012, 03:51 AM) *
Yah, there were plans for that, but I don't think anyone who was involved in those conversations still works on Shadowrun.

Sadly, they don't...

I'm sure some enterprising writers may still come up with good ideas for it, though?
Wakshaani
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Jan 15 2012, 06:42 AM) *
Sadly, they don't...

I'm sure some enterprising writers may still come up with good ideas for it, though?

Back when it was first proposed, as "We're doing an arc with addictive awakened drug", my idea was to go a whole different direction; I had the entire plot be vampire based and that Tempo was going to be 'Vampire venom', farmed from captive HMMV victims, cut into narcotics, then shipped out for use. It was known for the euphoric high it gave, was addictive, and, overall, could have worked.

I wrot ethe worst proposal in the history of the world for this. Rambling, meandering, and horribly unprofessional. I *should* have buried it, but I only found out about the idea the day it was due and, sleep-depped from getting off work, stayed up a good four hours past my bedtime to put it together and send it off. Looking back at it when I woke up later, it was *horrible*, and I was ashamed of it, but it'd already gone in.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

I still like my idea, but going to it at this point would be a case of 'ANOTHER awakened drug? Ho hum' and, well, the ideas I had for it don't tie in with the Tempo plot at the least.

At this point, the door's open should a writer want to pick it up and run with it, but, I don't think anyone on the current crew is terribly interested in doing so. On the plus side, it leaves it wide open for GMs to fill in the blanks, so, you can do anything you'd like with it fairly safely. smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jan 15 2012, 03:07 PM) *
Back when it was first proposed, as "We're doing an arc with addictive awakened drug", my idea was to go a whole different direction; I had the entire plot be vampire based and that Tempo was going to be 'Vampire venom', farmed from captive HMMV victims, cut into narcotics, then shipped out for use. It was known for the euphoric high it gave, was addictive, and, overall, could have worked.

I wrot ethe worst proposal in the history of the world for this. Rambling, meandering, and horribly unprofessional. I *should* have buried it, but I only found out about the idea the day it was due and, sleep-depped from getting off work, stayed up a good four hours past my bedtime to put it together and send it off. Looking back at it when I woke up later, it was *horrible*, and I was ashamed of it, but it'd already gone in.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

I still like my idea, but going to it at this point would be a case of 'ANOTHER awakened drug? Ho hum' and, well, the ideas I had for it don't tie in with the Tempo plot at the least.

At this point, the door's open should a writer want to pick it up and run with it, but, I don't think anyone on the current crew is terribly interested in doing so. On the plus side, it leaves it wide open for GMs to fill in the blanks, so, you can do anything you'd like with it fairly safely. smile.gif

Well, I do have a couple of ideas on how to move forward...perhaps in time.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jan 15 2012, 09:07 AM) *

Oh, good. I'm just about to start ramping up the Tempo storyline over here (currently mid-February 2071)
Demonseed Elite
The plan for the Tempo plot arc was never solidly written in stone and I had some reservations about what we were tossing around. But the idea was that Gaia was seriously pissed off at metahumanity (or a powerful spirit posing as Gaia) and spirits and metahuman agents were assembling to take the planet back from the polluting, controlling, self-centered metahuman jerks. If I recall correctly, there was even some epilogue fiction for Ghost Cartels that got cut due to space where Cesar da Silva is having a conversation with the Gaia spirit. Tempo, produced by some of the spirits involved in laying the groundwork for the plan, allowed the spirits to simultaneously destabilize metahuman society and gave them a pathway to possess individuals within metahuman society, something that was going to happen to horrific effect had the plot gone on.

My problem with the plot we were brainstorming was that it was another globe-spanning world event and the proposed conclusions either had the player characters directly facing off against massively powerful spirits or the actual resolution was taken out of the player characters' hands and was resolved by off-stage powers. The former was hard to balance, especially for groups without much magical firepower. The latter felt like the players had very little impact in the plot resolution.
CanRay
Well, can you blame her? I'd be pissed off too!
snowRaven
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jan 15 2012, 11:37 PM) *
The plan for the Tempo plot arc was never solidly written in stone and I had some reservations about what we were tossing around. But the idea was that Gaia was seriously pissed off at metahumanity (or a powerful spirit posing as Gaia) and spirits and metahuman agents were assembling to take the planet back from the polluting, controlling, self-centered metahuman jerks. If I recall correctly, there was even some epilogue fiction for Ghost Cartels that got cut due to space where Cesar da Silva is having a conversation with the Gaia spirit. Tempo, produced by some of the spirits involved in laying the groundwork for the plan, allowed the spirits to simultaneously destabilize metahuman society and gave them a pathway to possess individuals within metahuman society, something that was going to happen to horrific effect had the plot gone on.

My problem with the plot we were brainstorming was that it was another globe-spanning world event and the proposed conclusions either had the player characters directly facing off against massively powerful spirits or the actual resolution was taken out of the player characters' hands and was resolved by off-stage powers. The former was hard to balance, especially for groups without much magical firepower. The latter felt like the players had very little impact in the plot resolution.

Ah, that confirms my guesses about the original 'plans'.

My take on things is definately a bit different then...hmm...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012