Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Justice? What Justice? When Cops Go Bad.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
bibliophile20
Found this article on the NYTimes yesterday, and thought it had a very SR feel to it--right down to the gang warfare, corrupt cops and control over the slums by said gangs.

In Parts Of Brazil, Militias Operate Outside Of The Law

NITERÓI, Brazil — Patrícia Acioli, a judge known for imprisoning corrupt police officers, pulled into the driveway of her home one August night in this city across the bay from Rio de Janeiro. Her pursuers arrived at the same time. Then they did their work, shooting her 21 times until her body lay crumpled in the seat of her car.
Mike Chagas's mother, Judge Patrícia Acioli, was known for imprisoning corrupt police officers. She was killed by three officers outside her home.

“I rushed outside after hearing the shots,” said her son, Mike Chagas, 20, a college student. “No one should ever have the experience of seeing their own mother shot to death on their doorstep.

“I knew immediately that she had been killed because of her work,” he said.

Hours before she was gunned down, Judge Acioli had issued arrest warrants for three police officers accused of killing an unarmed 18-year-old man in a favela, or slum, part of a group of officers being investigated for forming an extermination squad. The same three men would later be arrested in connection with her murder, along with eight others in the police force.

Their testimony in court here, describing in chilling detail how they tracked Judge Acioli and plotted for months to kill her, has revealed a disturbing aspect of Rio de Janeiro’s newly assertive security policies, a cornerstone of its efforts to secure the city before playing host to the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics.

Officials have been lauded for reclaiming lawless areas from drug traffickers in various favelas across a sprawling metropolitan area with 11.8 million residents. But the image of a city on the mend has been undermined by the actions of its own security forces, particularly the spreading militias composed largely of active-duty and retired police officers, prison guards and soldiers.

These groups function like a criminal offshoot of the state. According to judicial investigations, they extort protection money from residents, operate unlicensed public transportation, charge commissions on real estate deals, mete out punishment to those who cross them and, most alarming, carry out extrajudicial killings.

Alba Zaluar, an anthropologist at State University of Rio de Janeiro who studies public security, sees the militias occupying a paramilitary role by going well beyond the line of lawful policing. Their power is expanding, according to research she oversees, with 45 percent of Rio’s favelas under the control of militias in 2010, up from 12 percent in 2005.

“They’re invading, watching over, buying favelas from traffickers,” Ms. Zaluar said.

While the militias have recently expanded with vigor, their sway in various parts of Rio, especially on the city’s western fringe, is not new. Originally called “polícia mineira,” a nod to the aggressive policing tactics in Minas Gerais, a state bordering Rio, militias have operated in Rio for three decades.

A 2008 legislative investigation of Rio’s militias led to the arrests of several officials tied to the groups, including legislators, councilmen and senior police officers. The Rio militias, together with death squads formed by police in neighboring São Paulo, have been responsible for hundreds of murders each year and impunity in these cases remained the norm, according to a 2009 Human Rights Watch report.

Rio officials, including Fábio Galvão, the state’s under secretary of intelligence, say they are well aware of the problem, contending that after militias grew in the middle of the last decade, so did the number of arrests of suspected militia members, from just 5 such arrests in 2006 to 250 in 2009 and 143 in 2010.

But Mr. Galvão said that combating the problem was made more challenging by the growth of the militias and the ability of jailed militia leaders to coordinate activities from behind bars.

Mr. Galvão said that the big expansion of the militias occurred about six years ago, before high-profile episodes like the killing of Judge Acioli got media attention. “A monster was growing,” he said. “When they started to fight back, it was already a big business.”

In recent months, signs have emerged that the militias are expanding beyond their bastion in Rio. A report in the newspaper O Globo described how militias had spread to 11 of Brazil’s 26 states, often initially winning over slum residents by killing drug traffickers before imposing their own methods of coercion and control.

Mr. Galvão, the intelligence official, echoing scholars who study the militias, said that while homicides tended to decline in areas under militia control, other crimes, like beatings and rapes, often increased.

The use of torture by militias was detailed in a harrowing account in 2011 by Nilton Claudino, a former photographer for a Rio newspaper who was discovered with a reporter by a militia group while they were on an undercover assignment in Jardim Batan, a Rio favela.

He described seven hours of excruciating torture, with methods including electric shock and temporary suffocation with plastic bags. He said his torturers, from a militia called Águia, or Eagle, included police officials. He later fled Rio and went into hiding.

“One of my torturers told me, ‘Your life will never be the same,’ ” Mr. Claudino wrote in the account. “He was right.”

Neither public officials nor researchers have reliable estimates of how many militia members operate in Rio, though they are thought to number well into the hundreds and perhaps higher.

The brazenness of militia leaders, including those recently arrested or imprisoned, has been notable. Ricardo Teixeira da Cruz, a leader of a militia called League of Justice, was reported in 2011 to have been commanding subordinates from prison. Another leader of the same militia escaped from prison in September, a day after officials cracked down on the group.

During one day of November testimony in the Judge Acioli trial, Cláudio Luiz de Oliveira, a senior officer arrested in the case and charged with ordering her murder, smiled for photographers. Judge Acioli had been investigating the involvement of him and his subordinates in dozens of killings in which they claimed the people killed were resisting arrest.

Other police officers arrested in the Niterói case described how they had reached out to a militia across the bay to carry out the judge’s killing. But then the police, enraged over the warrants for their arrest, simply chose to kill her themselves. Investigators are still trying to determine whether her killers belonged to a specific militia or to a more loosely organized death squad.

“I felt wronged and decided to execute her,” said Sérgio Costa, one of her killers. He said he used two guns in the ambush. “Since I wasn’t sure she was dead, I got another gun out and put more shots into her.”

Outrage followed the judge’s killing in August. Other judges spoke of death threats. Protesters even created a shrine on Niterói’s beach remembering the judge, posting messages of grief on a tree, including one with the fading words “warrior against impunity.”

By December, Djalma Beltrami, the new commander of the police battalion that Judge Acioli had investigated, was himself arrested on corruption charges. Officials charged him and more than 10 other officers with receiving almost $100,000 in bribes from drug traffickers in a favela not far from where Judge Acioli was killed.

<h6 class="metaFootnote">A version of this article appeared in print on January 10, 2012, on page A4 of the New York edition with the headline: Officers of the Law, Outside the Law.</h6>

ChewyGranola
Great post. I would expect Lone Star or Knight Errant employees to be just about as likely to take the law into their own hands, or to at least take bribes.
CanRay
There's no justice, there's just us.
Garou
Incidents such as This one probably will became more common at Rio, due to the effort to increase urban pacification to the 2016 olympics. I don't live there. (Far more to the northeast) but i get there eventually at least thrice a year because of work. The drug traffic is more easily defined than the Militia formed by cops and ex-cops, even because the activity has some covert support from political factions on that particular state. Yes, it feels very Shadowrunny, i agree. smile.gif Rio is a fascinating city, full of the extremes that form up good settings.
Seriously Mike
"The Elite Squad".
/sarcasm
kzt
QUOTE (ChewyGranola @ Jan 11 2012, 04:30 PM) *
Great post. I would expect Lone Star or Knight Errant employees to be just about as likely to take the law into their own hands, or to at least take bribes.

The guy who runs Ares would be personally offended by a KE employee doing something like this. Ares corporate citizens who personally offend the Ares CEO will regret it. Well, they will regret it if they are still alive.
Irion
Beeing a dirty cop is quite hard in the days of SR. Freaking surveillance...
Garou
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Jan 12 2012, 01:37 PM) *
"The Elite Squad".
/sarcasm

The movie is based on a real story mike, of a real officer. Now the guy's a consultant. smile.gif As they say, it's funny because it's true.

Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Irion @ Jan 13 2012, 03:47 AM) *
Beeing a dirty cop is quite hard in the days of SR. Freaking surveillance...

Umm said the dirty cop that didn't make friends with a KE or LS matrix security guy. Then it is easy-cameras are cheap and break down and become erratic all the time.
Stahlseele
The RRMP Book i jut got through actually mentions something along those lines.
But those are more revenge eye for an eye cops, doing to criminals what they suspect them of having done to people/police
CanRay
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 13 2012, 12:25 PM) *
Umm said the dirty cop that didn't make friends with a KE or LS matrix security guy. Then it is easy-cameras are cheap and break down and become erratic all the time.
Look at how often it happens IRL. And footage goes missing all the time, cutting off at just the right place as "Oh, it ran out of memory".

And then there's dashboard cameras that seem to only work when the officer is right and never when he's dirty. Weird, right?

Please take into consideration I'm talking about the bad examples, to our Posters in Blue. It's not nice, but we all know they exist. Just like there's bad soldiers, bad techs, bad mechanics, and so on. Humanity, maybe it's time for the Cockroaches to have their shot?
Irion
@CanRay
Well, thats not a dirty cop... Thats a dirty department.
CanRay
QUOTE (Irion @ Jan 13 2012, 01:41 PM) *
@CanRay
Isn't there something about a "Blue Line"? Might be wrong and working off media here, however.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Irion @ Jan 13 2012, 12:41 PM) *
@CanRay

We'll this is shadowrun...smile.gif
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 13 2012, 01:50 PM) *
We'll this is shadowrun... smile.gif

"I'm no rat. Besides, in a town this bent, who's there to rat to, anyway?"
CanRay
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Jan 13 2012, 02:53 PM) *
"I'm no rat. Besides, in a town this bent, who's there to rat to, anyway?"
"He's only shooting the dirty cops." "WE'RE ALL DIRTY COPS!" - Hobo With A Shotgun
Paul
I wish I could explain to people how hard it really it is in most of United States of America to be a dirty cop.
CanRay
QUOTE (Paul @ Jan 14 2012, 08:18 AM) *
I wish I could explain to people how hard it really it is in most of United States of America to be a dirty cop.
Depends on your definition of a "Dirty Cop".
Paul
Frankly I don't much care what definition you use CanRay. As someone who works int he field, I can say from personal experience that's it's not as easy as people would like to think. Are there dirty cops out there? Obviously there are. But really folks no matter how TV or movies portray it it's just not that common place. What makes it difficult for most people is more often than not an abuse of authority by a LEO is seen as extra heinous because of the nature of the scope of authority that we are entrusted to perform in our daily duties; and because people just like to hate on cops.

And I've helped investigate and prosecute dirty cops-working in a gang unit means we come across people who have connections to the streets in more ways than one. But seriously man it's not like the Shield makes it out to be. (And I loved that show, thought it was great fun.) LEO's are under constant scrutiny in this country, and coming under increasing scrutiny. What's funny, to me, is how many people would be all kinds of upset if an officer of the law did something that personally benefited themselves but those same people want you to cut them some slack when you catch them doing something. People want ti both ways-no dirty cops! But hey make sure when I stab this guy to death that you don't document too much buddy!

Now I get Shadowrun is supposed to be a dystopic world, where police abuse of power and authority is a central plank in how the house that cybernetics built gets played. And I'm cool with that-but in reality it's just not that common. (I am sure someone will want to argue the definition of common, that and just to show me how much more they know than me.)
bibliophile20
In real life, in the US, corrupt cops are not common (thank goodness), and I'll certainly take your word for that, Paul.

However, Shadowrun cops are not the cops we have now. If anything, they're alot closer to the town militias of the middle ages and early Renaissance--keeping the peace is the primary concern (especially the peace of the enfranchised citizens, not the peace of the vagabonds and other undesirables), and justice being a secondary or tertiary concern, if it's a concern at all.
Paul
I agree. Like I said part of the buy in for Shadowrun is that the security and police forces out there can be bought and sold pretty readily. And really, the Shield and shows like it are a lot of fun.
CanRay
OK Paul, fair enough. smile.gif Sorry to have offended. And glad there is some investigating going on that isn't just IA.

Just had some really bad personal and family experiences, and watching things in Oakland kind of has my dander up. I got to watch my knee-jerk reaction at times.

For the record, I've never been offended by officers that did something that "personally benefited them", that's part of any job I see, and realize that's just how society and culture works. Example, I had a friend that worked late at a Tim Horton's (Doughnut/Coffee Shop) in a not-so-nice neighborhood. Free coffee for the nice officers all day every day is a damned good way to ensure that no one wants to start anything there because a cruiser could park at any second. There's even a law about it to allow them to do so. (They have to show they have cash to pay for it, and the person at the teller has to verbally and physically show signs of refusing it.). My own workplace also did the same thing to ambulance crews and fire fighters when I was working in the food industry.
Paul
Offended? Naw. I just happen to see it from a different point of view is all. Beside's it's a common misconception. And thirty years ago? hell twenty? A lot more common than it is now. Technology really has benefited the citizenry these days. Now in 207x? Who knows....smile.gif
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Paul @ Jan 14 2012, 10:48 AM) *
Are there dirty cops out there? Obviously there are.

Until New Orleans is finally swallowed by the sea, there always will be.

Really, corruption is a matter of culture and economy, with the emphasis on economy.
CanRay
QUOTE (Paul @ Jan 14 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Offended? Naw. I just happen to see it from a different point of view is all. Beside's it's a common misconception. And thirty years ago? hell twenty? A lot more common than it is now. Technology really has benefited the citizenry these days. Now in 207x? Who knows....smile.gif
True enough. And that equipment didn't get to my hometown until just before I left... Well, aside from London-Style CCTV cameras all around downtown with did SFA.

Yeah, you're very right. Cell phone cameras alone are a great and powerful tool.
Irion
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 15 2012, 04:01 AM) *
Really, corruption is a matter of culture and economy, with the emphasis on economy.

I can just speak for germany, but it is somehow a shame how police officers are paid shitty and are held to standarts which are not even in the sight of the "normal" politicians.
(For example in germany the police can't even accept 10 bucks as a token of gratitude for finding your wallet. But a politician can get fony loans and holidays for free...)

This is something I am always wondering about. The police officer is corrupt if he cuts some dope dealer a slag for a new TV. But in politics you can cut people, who are doing far worse things, far better deals and there won't be prosecution. (Like the police officer getting the TV and therefor he is helping the dealer steal twice its worth the next day)

So I have to say, I do understand "small time corruption" a bit.
If you do not write the speeding ticket for the plumber who is fixing your house and he just forgets some stuff in his bill...
Saint Sithney
Police are given a monopoly on violence. High standards are necessary.
Paul
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 15 2012, 05:44 AM) *
Police are given a monopoly on violence. High standards are necessary.

That's absurd. If you're going to use that bait someone you need to change it to "officially sanctioned monopoly on violence." Geeesh. Kids.
CanRay
Hey now, the National Guard also has some of that going for them. They even use rifles against hippies!

And we're humans, trust me, Cops hardly have the monopoly on violence. Nor does the military. Civilians can be quite violent as well. And so can people who aren't civilians in their own countries.

As bad as the "abuses" of police are in Canada and the US, I just have to remember some of the horror stories that I've heard from refugees in Winnipeg to be glad that it's the rare and usually newsworthy occurrence rather than, "Oh, it's Tuesday and the police beating quota is getting checked tomorrow."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012