Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real Money in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Vanguard
Hi does anyone use real Money in Shadowrun RPG anymore?, I need the official info on this.

LaughingTiger
Some clarification: What do you mean by "real" money?

paper and metal, money from a specific country? What?

If you mean paper and coin, then yes, in my games people still carry around paper money. It's fallen out of "fashion" sense you can use your credstick in all legitimate businesses, but is handy to keep around when you need to spot a bum a 10 to learn which way the guy in the Misfits Jacket went. And for other things, of course. *cough* Hookers *cough*
Talia Invierno
Cash money - notes and coins - is canon. (A number of novels, at least two of the sourcebooks [Corporate Security?] ...)
Connor
Having to use a credstick to bribe someone is always cumbersome. Just carry some cash with you.
kerensky
But just as in real life, show too much bills when you want to tip the waitress and you will attract attention.
The Vanguard
Officially I need to know if there is still paper and coin Money still around and used,
Herald of Verjigorm
Yes, but it isn't as popular.
Firewall
Yes, there as much hard cash in SR Seattle as there is in modern day Russia. It is the 'shadow' currency...
Neruda's Ghost
I think that Tir Tairngire was supposed to have its own paper currency too. It's in the novel Forever Drug by Lisa Smedman.

Has anyone ever used this in their games?
Shadow
I forget where, but there is a mention of corp script. Money that is good in the corp stores.

Cash is still very much alive in Shadowrun, and I imagine as popular as it has always been. Credsticks are not much different then check cards (they do have more uses though) and people still carry cash today.
RedmondLarry
My players rarely offer real money. They usually bribe me with chocolate chip cookies.
kerensky
Cash is also harder to track through the Matrix.
BGMFH
My players prefer plying me with booze...
mfb
i don't require that my bribes be paid in real money, when i'm GM'ing. i also take checks.
Glav
If you happen to have the DS:PoaD book, you'll notice in the last page of the last story, talon lays a 5 nuyen note on the table. I'd suspect for small amounts, say, under 20:nuyen:, that paper cash is quite common. Othewise, I'd go with credsticks or certifed cred.
Zazen
My GM bribes take a green leafy form. smokin.gif
Connor
I thought nuyen was a purely electronic currency. Where UCAS dollars and British pounds would still have cash, nuyen never had notes.
BitBasher
Nuyenm is AFAIK purely electronic. But Nuyen is not the official currency of seattle, but it is accepted virtually everywhere. UCAS scrip is the official currency of the UCAS, and that's papoer money, and it IS accpeted pretty much everywhere the public can get.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Hard currency (IE: coins & notes) do still exist in various economies throughout the Sixth World - its hard to get rid of something so traditional. Its mainly used by old-timers and those who like the feel of something solid to their wealth. Hey, you can touch it so it's got to be valuable right? Moreso than just a bunch of numbers that don't even really exist, hmmm? Anyhow, as you can imagine, its also popular with those outside of the system because of its anonymity - hard to trace and easy to use if the System won't acknowledge you exist. Just try opening a bank account if you have no references, home address, or valid income.

The nuyen is a global currency that has been accepted by almost every country worldwide save a few who consider it devaluating to their own economy and control of such. The nuyen is a purely electronic currency validated by the Zurich-Orbital Geheminshaft (argh - can't remember correct spelling!) Bank. Yup, that's the same place that houses the AAA Corporate Court. If you exist in the system you can easily use it - its only data after all. (BTW that reminds me, don't piss off deckers if you want to keep your bank balances.) This is what most of the world's population use because its simple and convenient and they're not bothered about the trace factor if they're within the law (IE: taxes etc).

Right, now to get down to the question you asked. Most new countries(IE: NAN, etc.) have adopted the nuyen as their national currency. Some actually print/mint this as hardcopy in various denominations, each using their own designs, but this trend is phasing out. Overall the worth of different countries hardcopy nuyen notes is still the same because its still the same currency - they just look different. OK, some older countries still have their traditional currency and won't accept nuyen except at certain institutions and then probably at high markup for the transaction. However, if they don't change they'll be left behind economically because nuyen is what the megacorps use, and not many countries can exist in the global economy without playing to their rules.

Oh, and that brings us to the Corp Script. This is basically currency that can only be used by "citizens" of the issuing corp within that corp.

So, does that help? Probably not much huh? Best bet is to try and get a peek of the original Corporate Shadowfiles SB for 1st/2nd ED. Lots of very useful info about the whole scene there. In accordance to Canon, hardcopy nuyen does exist in certain countries but is not all too common these days. The UCAS still uses dollars as does the CAS I believe, but the fluctuation in their worth is dramatic to say the least when compared to the stable nuyen.

Anyhow, go with what you like in your game. I tend to use certified credsticks in my Seattle-based games but allow the runners to acquire other currencies if they really want to. It's all profit to the fixer anyhow...
BIG BAD BEESTE
Hard currency (IE: coins & notes) do still exist in various economies throughout the Sixth World - its hard to get rid of something so traditional. Its mainly used by old-timers and those who like the feel of something solid to their wealth. Hey, you can touch it so it's got to be valuable right? Moreso than just a bunch of numbers that don't even really exist, hmmm? Anyhow, as you can imagine, its also popular with those outside of the system because of its anonymity - hard to trace and easy to use if the System won't acknowledge you exist. Just try opening a bank account if you have no references, home address, or valid income.

The nuyen is a global currency that has been accepted by almost every country worldwide save a few who consider it devaluating to their own economy and control of such. The nuyen is a purely electronic currency validated by the Zurich-Orbital Geheminshaft (argh - can't remember correct spelling!) Bank. Yup, that's the same place that houses the AAA Corporate Court. If you exist in the system you can easily use it - its only data after all. (BTW that reminds me, don't piss off deckers if you want to keep your bank balances.) This is what most of the world's population use because its simple and convenient and they're not bothered about the trace factor if they're within the law (IE: taxes etc).

Right, now to get down to the question you asked. Most new countries(IE: NAN, etc.) have adopted the nuyen as their national currency. Some actually print/mint this as hardcopy in various denominations, each using their own designs, but this trend is phasing out. Overall the worth of different countries hardcopy nuyen notes is still the same because its still the same currency - they just look different. OK, some older countries still have their traditional currency and won't accept nuyen except at certain institutions and then probably at high markup for the transaction. However, if they don't change they'll be left behind economically because nuyen is what the megacorps use, and not many countries can exist in the global economy without playing to their rules.

Oh, and that brings us to the Corp Script. This is basically currency that can only be used by "citizens" of the issuing corp within that corp.

So, does that help? Probably not much huh? Best bet is to try and get a peek of the original Corporate Shadowfiles SB for 1st/2nd ED. Lots of very useful info about the whole scene there. In accordance to Canon, hardcopy nuyen does exist in certain countries but is not all too common these days. The UCAS still uses dollars as does the CAS I believe, but the fluctuation in their worth is dramatic to say the least when compared to the stable nuyen.

Anyhow, go with what you like in your game. I tend to use certified credsticks in my Seattle-based games but allow the runners to acquire other currencies if they really want to. It's all profit to the fixer anyhow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012