Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mostly Cybered Combat Biker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dez384
I've got a crazy character concept for a character I'm going to play in a game set in London. The idea is a character who has had nearly a full body replacement with cyberware. It's not a flawless idea, but certainly a fun one. She was made using modified karma gen at 750 karma with some free points for knowledge skills and contacts.

[ Spoiler ]

Any thoughts or things that I should be mindful of?
Medicineman

What about Cyberears ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
Machiavelli
A bike?

And as a long-term goal: a cyberskull for complete awesomeness. And a balance-tail. Yeah.
Glyph
Add flare compensation to your cybereyes? You have a point of capacity left in your cybereyes.
Makki
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jan 16 2012, 03:48 PM) *
A bike?

And as a long-term goal: a cyberskull for complete awesomeness.

A Cyberskull with Casemod and AR-Overlay! http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img...der_2_15026.jpg
UmaroVI
None of your cyberlimbs are customized? Why? You really should use that.

You have waaaaaay too many rolls to way Agility + Skill to do damage, and you're sacrificing your ability to back that up with skills like Stealth group to get it. One melee skill (Blades if you're willing to get a cyberspur, Unarmed if not), Automatics, and Heavy Weapons is combat skills a-plenty.

You're in karmagen - specialize your skills.

You have some odd choices of martial arts. I would take stuff that helps both melee and ranged combat, instead of things that provide shaky benefits for only melee. If you are going to be using martial arts, you should have Two Weapon Style because it is the only reason to hit people 99% of the time (for being able to have meh offense while maintaining very good defense against melee opponents). Off-Hand Training and Iaijutsu are other good choices. Kick Attack is alright. Riposte is also not bad. For the styles themselves, good choices include Krav Maga's Take Aim as a free action, and Pentjak-Silat/whatever other style has it +1 to called shots for extra DV (not if you are using full-auto weapons though, only if you decide to go something like Blades/Pistols/Heavy Weapons), and the styles that give +DV to stuff.

Cybereyes are of sketchy value and you should think very hard about why you aren't willing to just wear glasses that do the same thing for no essence cost on a character who could use any free essence they can get.

Cyberarm Gyromount and Foot Anchors give you more stackable Recoil Compensation which is very useful.

For a similar full-replacement cyborg (but in BP-gen rather than karmagen, and without Martial Arts) see my sig and look at the Bad Enough Trog.

Dez384
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 17 2012, 02:08 AM) *
None of your cyberlimbs are customized? Why? You really should use that.

I can't afford to customize all of my cyberlimbs. 114k nuyen.gif on cyberparts and another 180 nuyen.gif on bioware. I could cut the synaptic boosters and just be a druggie for extra IPs or I could cut the pain editor and let my gratuitous amounts of physical boxes go to waste when I go unconscious.
Medicineman
Make it a cybersuite
save 10% essence & cost

Hough!
Medicineman
Whitefur
I agree with Medicineman. Cybersuite is a good deal.
In my humble opinion I´d say don´t listen to to much about what martial arts and what not to take. Build you character the way you want to have fun.
Have one Q? and its not just for you but for most builds with loads of cyberlimbs. What is the back story for having physical stats like a retard. Of course its a min/max thing but how do you explain it storywise?
Loch
Dez's GM here, the story he told me was the usual Motoko Kusanagi "sickly child in a tragic accident" deal. I have no real problems with it, but it does seem a tad convenient build wise. Then again, I like to take already superhuman characters and turn them into real monsters when they get augmentations.
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Dez384 @ Jan 17 2012, 09:02 AM) *
I can't afford to customize all of my cyberlimbs. 114k nuyen.gif on cyberparts and another 180 nuyen.gif on bioware. I could cut the synaptic boosters and just be a druggie for extra IPs or I could cut the pain editor and let my gratuitous amounts of physical boxes go to waste when I go unconscious.

That's a decent reason. Personally, I would be cutting the Pain Editor for now - it's nice, but it's not THAT expensive and you can pick it up later - and get more cyberlimb customization. Armor is very much worth it on cyberlimbs, and I would really strongly consider freeing up the space to be able to buy Armor 4 ASAP on all of them.

An alternative, depending on how long-term you are thinking, would be to think longer-term, grab Adapsin ASAP after the game starts, and then start replacing your limbs one at a time with more customized (and more armored) versions, which then gets you the Adapsin discount.
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Whitefur @ Jan 17 2012, 11:41 AM) *
I agree with Medicineman. Cybersuite is a good deal.
In my humble opinion I´d say don´t listen to to much about what martial arts and what not to take. Build you character the way you want to have fun.
Have one Q? and its not just for you but for most builds with loads of cyberlimbs. What is the back story for having physical stats like a retard. Of course its a min/max thing but how do you explain it storywise?

I think you mean physical stats like a cripple. You could also explain it as "they atrophied because all of his muscles got replaced with 'ware" or whatever.
Dez384
Umaro, I'd have armor 4 if I didn't go over the availability cap for character creation. I do admit, I like the idea of getting adapsin before upgrading my limbs.

As for having 1 for all of my physical stats, i did it less to be min-max-y and more for the fact that it would be a near waste of karma to upgrade those stats since my cyberlimbs eclipsed them. I figure that if I lose all of my cyberlimbs, I have more problems than just having 1 for stats.
Whitefur
Didn't intend to be rude, but a person with 1 in cha is quasimodo hence a person with 1 in four stats is quite rare or special. Learned to speak (and spell) in Scotland and English is my second language.

About the stat: I would do the same if I would do a tank, maybe lower reaction to make it a bit more realistic.

Just realised that you had 1 in cha as well. Have to pay more attention in the future:)
Glyph
I don't know where people keep getting this notion about stats of 1. They are a detriment, sure, but they are underdeveloped, not crippled, mentally disabled, Asperger's syndrome, or what have you. Character stats are a snapshot of them in time - someone with cyberlimbs having low base physical Attributes is easily explained as the result of whatever accident or condition led to them getting all of those replacement limbs in the first place. I admit, I have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction myself when I see all of those 1's, but it is still perfectly valid.
Whitefur
Well, to Q the 4thA 1=weak 2=underdeveloped.
Last time I look underdeveloped (2) is just that. So weak must be worse. 1
body = midget sized human, 1 logic = mentally (sorry for the wording) retarded, etc etc
I know the system as well as the next and 1 is a good BP trade of, but a guy with that low attributes is still someone who normally would need help by the social system in most country´s. (Or putt in camps in some( say any Tir))

But I´m probably totally wrong
Critias
I'm mostly just curious where you got the notion they have "camps" for people with low stats, in the Tir.
Whitefur
Tried to make a joke:)

Homo sapiens nobilis better then the rest
Ryu
QUOTE (Dez384 @ Jan 16 2012, 09:49 AM) *
I've got a crazy character concept for a character I'm going to play in a game set in London. The idea is a character who has had nearly a full body replacement with cyberware. It's not a flawless idea, but certainly a fun one. She was made using modified karma gen at 750 karma with some free points for knowledge skills and contacts.

[ Spoiler ]

- You´ve spend your essence. Getting any more enhancements requires an exchange of one or more limb for a higher-graded customized modular version. Can you post the cost breakdown of your limbs? I think long-term it would be better to start with flesh arms and better legs.

- Attribute spending: Cha 1 grotesque monster of DOOM!. You can make such builds less conspicous and more effective by not assigning either 1 or a softcap value. Log 3 should do, Edge 6 is more than needed. Increase Cha to 3. And if you have some 20 karma to spend, why not be an Orc? If you ever get to customizing your limbs, you´ll be happy. And Body 4(7) looks less munched than 1(7).

- Exchange the Pain Editor for a Trauma Dampener. Loose Restricted Gear. Until the opposition has their gauss rifles set up, almost all damage you take will be stun.
Critias
QUOTE (Whitefur @ Jan 18 2012, 01:25 PM) *
Tried to make a joke:)

Homo sapiens nobilis better then the rest

Some folks have taken the "Elven fascist state" to flat out mean "Elven Hitlers," and I just wanted to nip that in the bud, if it was happenin' again. Yeah, they're some metaracist douchebags, but they're not that bad about it. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Critias @ Jan 18 2012, 01:12 PM) *
Some folks have taken the "Elven fascist state" to flat out mean "Elven Hitlers," and I just wanted to nip that in the bud, if it was happenin' again. Yeah, they're some metaracist douchebags, but they're not that bad about it. wink.gif

Most of the time, anyways... smile.gif
Irion
The most efficient way to go "full" cyber is to start with one good cyberarm for shooting things and crap for the rest. (two cyberlegs are good start, nothing more)
Drop the cybertorso, you probably want to make this one alpha at least. (Since it has close to no capacity...)
So drop and buy later. (You only need it anyway to get higher attributs in your legs, which you can't afford at this point.

So one arm has the availability of 4 (meaning you can get up to 8 times optimisation).
Costs are 15k (with +8 points it will be 37k), thats not that much. So make it alpha for 72k. (Now this is much, but this arm will stay with you!)
Now how to destribute the points:
Strength 5, body 6, agility 6 (since 6 is the aximum you may take).
Now up agility by 3 leading to 9 for 1.5k. (Now you are good at shooting things with onehanded weapons...)
For the cyberlegs just take normal grade and get some enhancements. Drop most of the other stuff, in order to free some cash.

(This is of course not a good advice if you may sell your used cyberware for "FULL PRICE". In this case it does not matter.)
But if you go by the rules (second hand and 30% list price) you have build a character which has it really hard to advance. He needs to replace limb by limb and is very soon hitting the essence cab while also needing to stash enough money to get better limbs.
If you spend your first 80k on one cyberarm you just do not get much of an improvement out of it with this character.
Glyph
QUOTE (Whitefur @ Jan 18 2012, 08:15 AM) *
Well, to Q the 4thA 1=weak 2=underdeveloped.
Last time I look underdeveloped (2) is just that. So weak must be worse. 1
body = midget sized human, 1 logic = mentally (sorry for the wording) retarded, etc etc
I know the system as well as the next and 1 is a good BP trade of, but a guy with that low attributes is still someone who normally would need help by the social system in most country´s. (Or putt in camps in some( say any Tir))

But I´m probably totally wrong

A weak Attribute means antisocial, or stupid, or clumsy. It does not mean socially autistic, developmentally disabled, or invalid. They have qualities for that - uncouth, uneducated, infirm, all of which are 20 point negative qualities. Someone with a Strength of one can carry 10 kilograms (about 22 pounds) without being encumbered. He will have a hard time trying to drag a wounded teammate to safety, or wearing full combat gear (as opposed to simply body armor and a sidearm), but won't have trouble with doorknobs. He is a couch potato, that's all. He is 10 Karma points away from a Strength of 2, and another 15 Karma points away from a Strength of 3. If someone is capable of improving up to "average" level so (relatively) quickly, then I would hate to ascribe their low Attribute to something immutable like a degenerative medical condition. That is what the aforementioned negative qualities are for.

That said, there is no excuse for four ones in karmagen, where raising an Attribute to 2 only costs 10 Karma points. Okay, I can kind of see it for the physical Attributes, but why Charisma? When the character also has a Logic of 5, useful for one big whopping skill at rating: 1! Personally, I would seriously recommend dropping Logic to 4 (still a good score) and raising Charisma to 3. Which, in Karmagen, is no net change to the cost.
Irion
@Glyph
Well, I would not give to much thoughts to the attributes and skills.
They have a too small scale to be anywhere near a simulation.
But I would agree that 1 is closer to 6 than to 0.

Anyway: To have a one in Karmagen is just silly. (expet in attributes which are replaces anyway)

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Jan 18 2012, 02:57 PM) *
Anyway: To have a one in Karmagen is just silly. (expet in attributes which are replaces anyway)

Which is STILL just silly... smile.gif
Irion
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Why?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Jan 19 2012, 05:02 AM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Why?

Contrary to some other opinions, I do not hold with the idea that you should just minimize your Karma Expenditures so that you can maximize your gains in the end. It is disengenuos at best. Stat a real character FIRST, and then apply the 'Ware. Just because you had your limbs blown off in an accident, and then had them replaced a few days later with 'Ware does not mean you had 1's in those physical stats. You were probably still average. To do otherwise smacks of Gaming the system, which it is. Of course, this is my opinion... smile.gif
Irion
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
But if you have cyberarms etc. your muskle will build back. So in this case I really think it fits.
Yes, you were not born this way, but thats the problem with most generation systems you generate a character at time X. So if you had cyberarms and legs, your muscles will be mostly gone. If you even have a cybertorse, you won't have any muscles left. So I think this assumption is more than reasonable.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Jan 19 2012, 12:55 PM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
But if you have cyberarms etc. your muskle will build back. So in this case I really think it fits.
Yes, you were not born this way, but thats the problem with most generation systems you generate a character at time X. So if you had cyberarms and legs, your muscles will be mostly gone. If you even have a cybertorse, you won't have any muscles left. So I think this assumption is more than reasonable.

And I disagree... smile.gif And it is only a "Problem" if you allow it to be. I do not agree that it is reasonable. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012