Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Older SR Books on RPGNow.com?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CountZero
Yesterday I was browsing RPGNow.com and happened to discover that Atlas Games had put their sourcebook "Golden Comeback", one of their most sought sourcebooks for Feng Shui, up for download as a PDF for the good price of $8.00.

After buying it, I started thinking about how cool it would be if FanPro put some of the old SR adventure books and, say, the "Critters" pamphlet from the GM's screen up for pay-download. I would certainly play them, since I think it would be fun to run a new group of players through the Shadowrun adventures from some of the early ones, so they'd get a better perspective for in-setting events, and to give me some more good hostile NPCs (those that survive) to put the PCs up against in future adventures.

So, has anyone at FanPro thought about this idea? Adam? Anybody?
Ancient History
RedBrick, hopeful publishers of the Earthdawn Classic line, have postulated using this format to sell their books.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (CountZero)
So, has anyone at FanPro thought about this idea? Adam? Anybody?

This topic seems to come up every so often. Seems to alternate between this and the novels one. smile.gif Try doing a search of the forums or the old ones and you'll likely hit half a dozen of the things. That aside, here's how I understand the situation.

Even if they made the decision to do it, there's still a lot of technical and legal problems to contend with. First off, you have to get the books into .pdf/electronic format. And since they might not have the original editorial copies for some books, that could take some time and effort. Next you've to clean them up and re-do them in the Third Edition rules/format. Even in electronic format I can't see them putting their name to a shoddy product. Then the legal questions like do the old writer/artist contracts cover electronic format?

Quick answer is that whilst it's been brought up and thought of, they're presently using their limited resources to get the current products out the door. Nice idea, but maybe for later when they've got some free time/resources. If I've got any of this massively wrong, I'm sure Adam or one of the freelancers/admins will be through in a bit to put the record straight. smile.gif
CountZero
Well, when WotC put basically all of their older D&D 1e & 2e stuff on there (along with most of Gangbusters) they didn't convert it up to 3e. Instead they just left it to the GM. By putting some of the SR1 & SR2 stuff on RPGNow, those who are still using SR1 or SR2 are still have access to the materials, and those who want to use the materials in a SR3 campaign can as well.

Heck, if we can only get the "Critters" pamphlet that was with the SR3 booklet I'll be happy, since I haven't been able to find a copy of the SR3 GM's Screen with the Critter's booklet.
Adam
Since the GM Screen/Critters book isn't going to reprint, we're trying to figure out what to do with it in the near future, as people buying Running Wild will probably want it; it may become a free download, it may become an inexpensive download.
Glav
I'd support a free download, any day biggrin.gif lick.gif
simonw2000
Yeah, I agree with that! Oldversion.com has a familar program that is just winter! Can't say the program's name here, but once you're on, you'll know what I mean.
Ancient History
Simon, as you probably well know any, and I mean ANY /hint/ at illegal filesharing is grounds for a horrible death by flaming.
Adam
Oh, I'm sure he was just talking about finding a copy of Netscape 3. Yeah, that's it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012