Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mass Effect 3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Sixgun_Sage
Who here is looking forward to it? I am about half an hour from finishing my second playthrough on ME2 with my version of Shepard being a level 30 Infiltrator, I have the Kasumi and Zaeed mission packs, Firewalker and the Firepower DLC as well after finishing the game once with no DLC and yes, downloaded Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning so I can have the Reckoner Armor and Chakram Rifle. Obviously I am geared up and ready to see Mass Effect 3 drop but I wanted to hear everyone else on the board's thoughts.
Tanegar
I never finished the first one.
LurkerOutThere
I played the first one on my xbox and got the second for PC. Having beaten the first one on PC i wanted credit so i selected an online save file closest to my choices, but that knowledge that I was playing someone elses character was also kind of jarring and i want to fix that before ME 3. On the other hand ME 1 and 2 are quite the slog to go through again.
Wounded Ronin
I always plan to try a different Shepard, but after finishing the game one time and enjoying it, I never find that I have the time to replay it.

I'll look forward to 3.
Jhaiisiin
I'm a self-admitted ME fanboy. Jonesing for 3. I've played through ME1 3-4 times in full, ME2 easily double that number, and am running a new character from ME1 all the way through 2 so it's ready for 3 when it hits. Yeah, I'm one of *those* people.
Faraday
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jan 22 2012, 09:44 PM) *
I'm a self-admitted ME fanboy. Jonesing for 3. I've played through ME1 3-4 times in full, ME2 easily double that number, and am running a new character from ME1 all the way through 2 so it's ready for 3 when it hits. Yeah, I'm one of *those* people.

Know that feeling. Already did my run through though, so I'm set.
Blade
I liked the first one, though it had many problems such as most side missions (and land vehicle trips) being bland and repetitive and having only one real "city".

I'm currently playing the second one, with the same badass John Blade Shepard (though I regret having chosen a male, I played the first one in French and it had surprisingly good voice-over, but the English Shephard is just completely uninspired), and though I still have a lot of fun with the story and conversation options, I find the gameplay very repetitive. Most missions are just a succession of boring battles (find a cover, use power, shoot shoot, hide, wait, use power, shoot, shoot and so on).
crash2029
I loved ME1 and then when ME2 came out I about had an aneurysm. I am chomping at the bit for ME3, as I have been since I last heard about it last year. I just hope it doesnt come out while I'm on vacation in march. That would suck, the whole time I would be thinking "it's out and I don't have it! Gaah!"
Jhaiisiin
3/6/12. smile.gif

EDIT: Corrected date.
Sixgun_Sage
From discussions I've seen elsewhere the general consensus seems to be a level cap of 50 or 60 for ME3...
Jhaiisiin
So who is going to forsake their Significant Other in favor of the ME3 Demo on 2/14? (I'm not, though it is a little tempting...)
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jan 31 2012, 09:12 AM) *
So who is going to forsake their Significant Other in favor of the ME3 Demo on 2/14? (I'm not, though it is a little tempting...)

I would never forsake Tali! Oh right... you mean... nevermind.
Tiralee
Ah yes the MShep/FemShep debate:)

After having been told, "you could at least TRY it" I went and started a MShep...10 minutes later, with the stilted dialogue and bland sameness from the character, I reloaded my FemShep character and had her run as a Renegate alt.

Scary thing is, I was accruing more "lightside points" than Renegade, while being a royal bitch. Weird.

At least I managed to run both through MProbeLaunchedEProbeLaunched2, fluking a perfect ending (everyone made it, and this time I wasn't trying for it) with the Queen of Bitch alt. Also, it's a pity Jack wasn't with that whole huggy/feely crap, being an ex-con - I always suspected she was after Garis.

Also, being a bitch makes Grunt like you...a LOT, really fast. No..not that way...

-Tir

I hope to fuck they dump that thermal clip bullshit....
Faraday
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Jan 31 2012, 03:39 PM) *
-Tir

I hope to fuck they dump that thermal clip bullshit....

Not gonna happen, sadly.
X-Kalibur
You only hate the thermal clips until you play on nightmare as a Soldier. Then you love it.
Bigity
Looking forward to ME3, Diablo 3, and the X-COM strategy remake (not the FPS). And Borderlands 2.

Jhaiisiin
So who nabbed the demo and what did they think?
Yerameyahu
The multiplayer isn't bad. Still not as smooth and dynamic as a real FPS (and for good or ill, that's what they're aiming at), but they brought back weapon customization and leveling. The difficulty is higher, and it encourages teamwork. It feels like Uncharted 2's multiplayer to me (which isn't wonderful). It has sticky cover, bleh, and you can't really run and jump as you'd like; on the other hand, you have all kinds of guns and powers to wreck people with, and annoying diverse enemies.
DWC
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Feb 18 2012, 09:46 PM) *
So who nabbed the demo and what did they think?

I like the Kinect integration, since it almost covers for how clumsy the interface is. That said, after playing the PC and 360 versions of the demo, game play is still vastly superior for the PC. If I didn't have 100% complete saves for the first two on my XBox, I'd be swapping my preorder first thing tomorrow morning.

Oh, and Jennifer Hale rules. She's why I wound up playing a Republic Trooper in SWTOR.
Jhaiisiin
I like the increased pace of the game thus far, as well as the amped up textures (though some look... off for some reason... too much bump mapping I think). I love the addition of the melee attack. It's nice seeing an adept unload with biotics as we've seen in so many cutscenes in the past 2 games. All in all, I'm pretty stoked.

Other than the "Getting soft in the middle" comment, I can't yet see any justification for the loss of all abilities from the previous game, when you were at the height of your ability.

Also, they'd best have a damned good explanation for why Cerberus turned on my Renegade Shepard that gave TIM the base. Else I'm gonna rip his ass in half with my femshep's biotics.

Oh, and agreed: Jennifer Hale friggin' rules. LOVE her voice acting. I need to get SWTOR still. That's on the list, but can't do it until I rebuild my main system. Got the new system specced out, just gotta get together the funds.
KarmaInferno
I've been suspicious of the Illusive Man since I saw his eyes.

Y'know, the eyes that look just like the ones that the reaper-converted humans have?

-k
Bigity
One idea I've heard is that TIM started putting reaper tech into his body, with bad results.
crash2029
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Feb 19 2012, 01:33 PM) *
I like the increased pace of the game thus far, as well as the amped up textures (though some look... off for some reason... too much bump mapping I think). I love the addition of the melee attack. It's nice seeing an adept unload with biotics as we've seen in so many cutscenes in the past 2 games. All in all, I'm pretty stoked.

Other than the "Getting soft in the middle" comment, I can't yet see any justification for the loss of all abilities from the previous game, when you were at the height of your ability.

Also, they'd best have a damned good explanation for why Cerberus turned on my Renegade Shepard that gave TIM the base. Else I'm gonna rip his ass in half with my femshep's biotics.

Oh, and agreed: Jennifer Hale friggin' rules. LOVE her voice acting. I need to get SWTOR still. That's on the list, but can't do it until I rebuild my main system. Got the new system specced out, just gotta get together the funds.

From what I've read, if you import your save you will start at the level you were when you saved.
Lindt
Yeah, I have 3 different play thru's ready for ME3. The "Hey, lets play thru ME1 before ME2 comes out" which basically only got me the major plot points, but its 'MY' character. The default start ME2 renegade biotic (how crap did the default start suck or what?!?), and the genuinely paragon game I downloaded from the net.

Far too excited. Unfortunately, It drops 12 weeks before my masters thesis is due. If this gets spoiled, I will murder people.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Bigity @ Feb 20 2012, 05:38 AM) *
One idea I've heard is that TIM started putting reaper tech into his body, with bad results.

Or good results. I personally am a fan of that theory.
Jhaiisiin
I found out when I imported my latest ME1 completion into ME2 that it was the 10th time I'd completed ME1. I.... feel kinda lame about that. LOL

At least I still pause or turn it off when the wife or child need tending to.
Vilda
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 21 2012, 08:41 AM) *
Or good results. I personally am a fan of that theory.

But there is no need for theories regarding Jack Harper's eyes, just read https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/354.mass-effect-evolution/

And regarding Cerberus turning on you, well, some of it is hinted on in Invasion https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/1902.mass-effect-invasion-1-4-bundle/ and other information is ingame. Two weeks ago, we've had convention in Prague, where guys from EA showed us mission from Mars, just after you take off from Earth... man, I can not wait for the game to launch.
Bigity
Sooooo close to the time I can Charge more nasty batarians in the face before I unload a shotgun into their groins.

And I guess in ME3, even more ways to beat em down.
Jhaiisiin
Yeah, now you can biotic punch them in the groin instead of shotgunning.
Bigity
My off-base installation commander (aka Sergeant Major Wifey) has informed me I can get a new PSU to get my second-hand HD 4850 running, or ME3, and have to wait for the other until after our summer vacation. Low blow! But fair enough I guess.
Lindt
No lower then the fact that (as normal) Electronic Arts cant seem to get a PC game right. The Origins distro platform is as I expected, a steaming pile of shit. You would figure that for 85 bucks, it might WORK...
Bigity
And the Origin steam-clone is why I wasn't too upset to wait for the game.
KarmaInferno
Huh. Player Metacritic score for the PC version is 2.

Not a good sign.

-k
X-Kalibur
I picked up a 360 copy on Friday last week, was happy with the game and the culmination of everything. Need to play thru 1 and 2 again now.
Bigity
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 6 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Not a good sign.

-k

Well, the reviewers review gives it a 5/5. The user reviews are 2.5 with folks complaining about Day 1 DLC etc bombing it with zeros.
Mäx
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 6 2012, 07:00 PM) *

Not a good sign.

Thats just whiners being whiners, as usual.
KarmaInferno
Ah.

Didn't the other games also have day 1 DLCs? How is this newsworthy?

If it's a good game, it's a good game, regardless of add-on packs.

-k
CanRay
Wasn't the DLC not actually a DLC, but on the disc already? I remember one had that going... If it's on the disc, you shouldn't have to pay twice for it.

Whereas if it's DLC, and you had to Download it because the company didn't have time to PUT it on the disc, that's legit.
Yerameyahu
But, what if it's not on the disc because they had it ready, but deliberately held it back to make you buy it on Day 1? nyahnyah.gif It *is* BS, like any DLC in general.
KarmaInferno
Well, yeah, the DLC stuff may be shitty marketing tactics or whatever behavior on the part of the developer, but how does any of that affect the quality of the core game?

-k
Yerameyahu
I didn't say that. smile.gif I suppose it could, if they deliberate left out parts of the game to sell as DLC.
CanRay
I still say DLC is like expansion packs...
Yerameyahu
Sometimes. There's a pretty broad continuum of possibilities, from the traditional 'one complete game' all the way to the 'freemium (everything a la carte) model'. In between are what are traditionally called 'expansions' (Brood Wars, Lord of Destruction, the 3 Guild Wars expansions), which tend to be pretty large. Mass Effect DLC, on the other hand, is usually some guns, a character, a mission. :/
almost normal
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 8 2012, 10:59 AM) *
Well, yeah, the DLC stuff may be shitty marketing tactics or whatever behavior on the part of the developer, but how does any of that affect the quality of the core game?

-k

Cost analysis. I'm ecstatic to find a good game for 5 dollars that lasts me 20 hours. I'm disappointed when that same game cost me 60 instead. That's 11 6 packs gone forever.
Yerameyahu
It doesn't help that all games (AAA titles? whatever you call them) basically cost $60. So it's not like they're charging you less for the 'smaller' game. I'm not saying it's black and white, that there's even a standard 'size' for a $60 game, etc.… but I understand why people would be tweaked.

Me, I'd buy it when the price goes down anyway, preferably after they bundle the major DLC (like ME2 did). GOTY edition yay!
KarmaInferno
I broke down and got the game.

I just go to the part where EDI... um. Well. Without spoiling for anyone...

I was not expecting that.

-k
Adarael
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 8 2012, 02:35 PM) *
It doesn't help that all games (AAA titles? whatever you call them) basically cost $60. So it's not like they're charging you less for the 'smaller' game. I'm not saying it's black and white, that there's even a standard 'size' for a $60 game, etc.… but I understand why people would be tweaked.

Me, I'd buy it when the price goes down anyway, preferably after they bundle the major DLC (like ME2 did). GOTY edition yay!

The reason AAA games are always $60 is because lowering your game's price to $50, $40, or even $30 affects your amount of sales by less than 2%, and doesn't affect your review scores at all. People have only two settings for games, when it comes to costs: full price and "bargain" (or "XBLA") price. So basically, if you lower the price on your game, you don't really gain anything by it, and you just lose money. Note: this does not necessarily apply to Steam, but DOES apply to console games. Steam is harder to judge because Valve doesn't release their data. From what I understand, there is a higher correlation of price reduction to purchases on Steam, but it's still not enough to justify cutting prices unless you hit $20 or under, for the initial release. You can bump interest with a short one-day or two-day sale, though.

It's bizzare and counterintuitive, but that's what the data says.
Yerameyahu
No doubt. Economics is stupid. biggrin.gif On the contrary, my point is precisely that they're doing it to maximize revenue. I meant from the consumer's point of view, you're paying $60 regardless of quality, size, etc. So they can literally make a $60 game, cut out 20% of it, and sell that content back to you for 3-5 'DLC' of $10 each. frown.gif
Adarael
Out of curiosity, what games can you think of where 20% of the original package has been cut and made into DLC? I can think of a lot of day-1 DLC that was probably developed in tandem with the base game, but none where a full fifth of the game was made into a paid package.
Yerameyahu
None, it's a hypothetical ("can"). The consumer would never have any way of knowing, and there's often no distinction between 'the game' and 'DLC'. A given gun, character, or mission could easily be fully integrated, or not. Expansions are frequently stuff that was intended as a part of 'the game', but they ran out of time/etc. There's not necessarily any difference between 'base game' and 'tandem material'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012