Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Search-Fu failed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Where was the topic the tank-character with maxed soak pool was posted?
Stahlseele
Brick < = search for him for example.
Also, Binky.
Machiavelli
Thank you....but i didnīt find what i was looking for. So could please somebody give me a hint how to max out armor on a troll character? I need a large soak pool and i have body 9 right at the moment.
Neurosis
Buy as many cyberlimbs as you can afford.

Put as much Armor in the cyberlimbs as you can afford.

For extra fairness points, take the Born Rich quality and 35 pts. of In Debt. Don't forget Restricted Gear, either. Lets you fit more armor.

Boom, you're broken, but see if you can fit in Orthoskin or Dermal Plating and Bone Lacing or Bone Density Augmentation for bonus points. Also the Toughness quality, why not.
Summerstorm
Well, i guess the point of being armoured with SILLY stats is to stack on internal armour and mods, not rely on worn armor. The point is: While there are rules for armour stacking, pretty much any low- armour-bonus-granting stuff just adds on top of that.

Easiest and most effective way is, if you got the essence and will to just throw your body away: Cyberlimb armour. Any limb can provide clean nice +4. If you are some insane freak and/or your gm allows it you can stack on multiple pairs of arms and legs.

BUT you probably need to have the fully bulk modified, customized and enhanced (so your stats stay good) Maybe ask if the gm allows redlining (which is needed to make cyberlimb users able to keep up with other) - it says you can redline any physical attribute... maybe even body (which is weird but funny)

Full grown troll with cyber-torso, arms and legs can have +20 armor gets +5 Condition boxes and can redline. (But likely has not that much essence left *g*.)
On the other side is wearing armor:

A SWAT armour with helmet is 14/12 Gelpacks on that makes it 15/13
Full PPP Set (Without Helmet) just adds +2/+4
Wearing a full FFBA adds +6/+2
Makes it 23/19 for the highest armor any sane gm would allow.
You now wield you weapon one handed and use a Ballistic shield for a +6/+4 (Or become vertifiable insane and wield two? Ah well, no)

That is now 20/20 internal, 29/23 worn = 49/43 + Body 9 (+X Redlined temporary higher for stun damage)
Now get magic help: Armor spell. Also use cover. If you get possessed by a spirit welcome extra-hardened armor. (But you are no longer yourself.)

Perfectly legal, without "interpreting" rules, going against game-logic or screwing around.

Other ways, without cyberarmor is combining Ceramic or titanium bones, bioware, nanoskin etc. but that yield much lower values.
Neurosis
You do realize that the above Body 9 character wearing the above 29/23 armor would be at a fairly crippling -6 penalty to Agility and Reaction? Plus an additional -1 to anything done with the off-hand thanks to the shield.
NiL_FisK_Urd
toss in some "YNT soft-weave" and enough strength, and the penalty is far lower ^^
Summerstorm
Eh, he asked for armour, not for being able to move *g*.

But yeah: Softweave armour, enhanced Body. Most (all?) of the penalties are managable.

Also one could, for a non-Troll character, switch to military move-assist enhanced armour with softweave. Body 1 and still no penalties... yay. (But isn't that tanky though)
Neurosis
Eh, he asked for armour, not for being able to move *g*.

Guys, I'm just gonna stand right here. You try and hurt me with a Thor shot, k?

XD
Stahlseele
Dude, that's what a Troll is THERE for . .
Taking a Burst from a Shotgun to the face and shrugging it off!
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 30 2012, 10:19 AM) *
Dude, that's what a Troll is THERE for . .
Taking a Burst from a Shotgun to the face and shrugging it off!

...he could do it wearing only speedos or nothing at all even.
Machiavelli
I should have said that i am playing a char. without cyber. wink.gif I just checked out, that 22/20 seems to be the absolute max. in armor for this char.

SWAT (12/10)
Helmet (2/2)
FFBA (6/2)
PPP (2/4)

This is good, but definitely not as "whow" as i thought it would be. With military armor you are even below that rating, because you cannot wear other armor with it. So this is really the limit (no i donīt want to wear a shield or add gel-packs)?
Stahlseele
Without Cyber?
OK, Bone-Density Augmentation and Ortho-Skin are your Friends.

And then do something silly:
Get the Troll to maximum dodge somehow.
If you ain't hit, you can soak the rest.
Or make him an adept and give him mystical armor too.
Machiavelli
Dodge is good. I like dodging. ^^

I misplanned this char. a little bit and he "only" has reaction 7 and gymnastics 4(+2). Up to now no adept powers or quickened spells with combat sense or additional armor. Also body is only at 7 at the moment with +2 through my mentor spirit. So i am more of an "advanced" glass cannon than a real Tank. Therefore the question about armor and itīs logical max.
Stahlseele
Yeah, Armor is one of the few things where cyber is supreme to most anything else . .
Machiavelli
I still have one magic point "free", so i think i will invest it into either "combat sense" or "mystic armor" at rating 4 (discount from way of the adept and geasa).
Stahlseele
One die of Dodge(?) Versus 4 Points of Armor?
Machiavelli
No, either 4 dice of doge or 4 on armor. But armor is not very good replaceable by spells (glowing field, one version for astal and another for mundane world) while combat sense can be duplicated without difference. So i think i will stick to mystic armor adept power and take combat sense as a quickened or sustained spell.
NiL_FisK_Urd
there is also a mystic armor spell ^^
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 30 2012, 10:45 AM) *
there is also a mystic armor spell ^^

Which, IIRC, only applies to Astral Space. Though I could be wrong.
Stahlseele
You are not.
There's also the ARMOR Spell, which gives Mundane Armor.
Makki
let each layer of clothing be possessed by a high force spirit.
Also, wear infinite Softweave Form Fitting BA. They do not encumber. RAW's a bitch.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 30 2012, 11:17 AM) *
let each layer of clothing be possessed by a high force spirit.
Also, wear infinite Softweave Form Fitting BA. They do not encumber. RAW's a bitch.

Common Sense dictates a Sharp Slap on the side of the Head with a Hardcover Websters Dictionary if players try such Shannanigans. smile.gif
Machiavelli
Or a standard "No" from the GM.^^ Hurts as well....often....*sob*^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012