Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Celebrity gets new toy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...e.html#comments

The link says Miley Cyrus got a new BMW sports car and her body guard followed her home driving her "old porche." all I could think when I read that was this is the time for a run-when she's cut herself off from her guard. a minor traffic accident side swipes the porche out of it and now she's on her own and vulnerable to a grab.

Should I be worried I think like this? I'm a mom damn it! I have daughters of my own! And yet I just think she makes her self so vulnerable.
ShadowJackal
I think the exact same way. Story of my life.
Faraday
That kind of thought pattern just comes with the territory.

And because you can think like a 'runner, your can plan how to help prevent overexposing yourself/kids/etc in real life from people who might act like a 'runner.

Just don't go overboard with it, we're not quite at full-on Cyberpunk Dystopia yet.
maine75man
Realistically a lot of the time in Hollywood the "bodyguard" doesn't ride with the client unless they're expecting trouble. As the article shows, celebrities don't ride around in limos all the time. The average celebrity bodyguard is there to run interference with the paparazzi and deal with overzealous fans. They're neither paid or prepared to handle a well organized kidnapping. I'm not even sure if many carry guns.

It's not completely unlikely that that guy had to catch a ride back to the dealership to pick up his own car.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 1 2012, 06:12 PM) *
Should I be worried I think like this? I'm a mom damn it! I have daughters of my own! And yet I just think she makes her self so vulnerable.
Look at it this way, you're thinking about it now. Now you're thinking about Shadowrunners hired to protect said asset. Now you have a plan in place.

Now, how do you do this IRL, with current technology?

Finally, take into consideration all the people who DON'T think about these sorts of things that are exactly in the same place you are, and DON'T have a plan for ANYTHING.

Taken too far, yeah, you're heading into paranoia zone. We're not in a Cyberpunk Dystopia, as Faraday reminded us. That said, always better to have and not need. That's why I'm preparing the house for emergency situations. I use a Zombie Scenario in my head to get my creativity going, but it works in the far more likely events of flooding (I'm on a flood plain) and a large scale riot (I'm in Winnipeg), which will have similar problems and require similar supplies and problem solving situations.

Consider what's the most likely danger, prepare for it, make sure your daughters know about your preparations and their part in it. Explain why you're doing it and show that it's a part of loving them rather than smothering them.

And a BMW is a decent automobile if you can get a diesel engine that will run on a variety of fuels.
Yerameyahu
Definitely paranoia. Who'd even want Miley Cyrus, besides her dad? frown.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 1 2012, 11:56 PM) *

[insert a "not sure if serious" meme picture here]
Seriously Mike
And guess who's running a game in LA! biggrin.gif Another brilliant idea, given of course that my players will find a disposable truck for the run.
Bigity
Sounds like another Horizon module.
CanRay
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 1 2012, 11:56 PM) *
How about DLN's kids? I'm sure she'd want them at least.
Thanee
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 1 2012, 11:12 PM) *
new BMW

Mercedes, actually. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 2 2012, 09:42 AM) *
How about DLN's kids? I'm sure she'd want them at least.
You really don't want to try anything on my girls.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 2 2012, 11:50 AM) *
You really don't want to try anything on my girls.
Wasn't suggesting that. Just pointing out that you want them. smile.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 2 2012, 11:01 AM) *
Wasn't suggesting that. Just pointing out that you want them. smile.gif

Dude, she's gonna go Liam Neeson a la 'Taken' on you.
Yerameyahu
She wants them, but nobody else particularly does. Which was my point: Miley Cyrus doesn't have SEALS guards, cuz she has no need.
Critias
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 2 2012, 04:08 PM) *
She wants them, but nobody else particularly does. Which was my point: Miley Cyrus doesn't have SEALS guards, cuz she has no need.

But in Shadowrun, she could, because she would. Pop starlet chicky-poos worth a bunch of cash? It's maybe a little bubble-gum feeling of an extraction target, but I could see it happening. It's no less silly than any other extraction, at least. Heck, I could even see some musicians and actors staging extraction attempts, just to build up some buzz around them, show how hardcore and "street" they are, or whatever.

Realistically it's easier to just find some new moderately attractive chick and biosculpt her into a pop star, sure. But realistically it's also easy to plug someone's head full of so much chrome that anyone can be an awesome researcher/scientist/whatever, so most extractions is just playing loosey-goosey and having fun in the setting, really (runners should be after data, not employees, most of the time, but the extraction job remains a staple trope).
Yerameyahu
Well, sure, in SR.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 2 2012, 03:33 PM) *
Dude, she's gonna go Liam Neeson a la 'Taken' on you.
She could Macaulay Culkin someone as out of shape as me.

And I don't even know her kids to know if I want them or not, thank you very much. I'm not exactly what I'd call a good role model.

Unless you want to point to a negative example, then I'm the perfect man for the job.
Snow_Fox
For Cyrus, the fact her guard drove the other car back, I'd think he's usually in the car with her, even if she drives. If he followed in a chase car, he could have driven her in that to the dealership.Form an SR line it sounds like starlet throws around money that seperates her from her guard, creating a target of opportunity at that mommnet when you were planning to to try and take out the guard and grabb her.
There is another Shadowrun lesson in this: protection is only as good as the principal allows it to be. In a high-threat setting like Shadowrun, that guard should have insisted on riding in the car with her [and having his car brought back by a third party, or picked up later; the dealership would have done this for him, in any case], but some principals do not tolerate personal protection well, and regularly try to slip or lose their detail, even briefly. This makes possible extractions and kidnappings that otherwise would not be practical due to the vigilance of the protection team.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Especially if it is a starlet trying to prove she is not a kid anymore and can be an adult.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 3 2012, 03:34 PM) *
Especially if it is a starlet trying to prove she is not a kid anymore and can be an adult.
Then I suggest she star in Action Movies and learn how to handle a firearm properly, like the other Stars. nyahnyah.gif

"Miss, can you please provide some fire support for your bodyguards, we don't have an assault cannon like you do." *Boom* "Thank you miss."
bibliophile20
CanRay, have you perchance read David Weber's Safehold? Because one of the Crowning Moments of Awesome in that series is Empress Sharleyan providing covering fire for her Imperial Guard...
CanRay
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 3 2012, 05:25 PM) *
CanRay, have you perchance read David Weber's Safehold? Because one of the Crowning Moments of Awesome in that series is Empress Sharleyan providing covering fire for her Imperial Guard...
I might have. I read a lot of Weber's work.

I do remember in "1632" of the Ring Of Fire-Series when the pregnant former cheerleader provided sniper cover after being asked by a Redneck if she could handle a .30-06. She had trained, and almost made, the Olympic Biathlon Team. Previously in the book, she impressed the hell out of a king by taking out a dozen officers at an insane range (Even considering her rifle.).

EDIT: Yes, yes I have read that book. I'm waiting for the next one to come out on paperback. The damned hardcover is a cinder block!
Jekolmy
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 3 2012, 04:53 PM) *
I might have. I read a lot of Weber's work.

I do remember in "1632" of the Ring Of Fire-Series when the pregnant former cheerleader provided sniper cover after being asked by a Redneck if she could handle a .30-06. She had trained, and almost made, the Olympic Biathlon Team. Previously in the book, she impressed the hell out of a king by taking out a dozen officers at an insane range (Even considering her rifle.).

EDIT: Yes, yes I have read that book. I'm waiting for the next one to come out on paperback. The damned hardcover is a cinder block!

It is a cinder block to be sure, but it is very much worth it.
CanRay
Too bad I can't afford hardcovers. frown.gif
bibliophile20
I've bought one and only one of Weber's hardcovers; I had been introduced to his stuff and tended to borrow the books from the guy who introduced me, and Weber had built up enough credit with me that I was willing to shell out $25 for a brand new hardcover.

Thus, I bought the POS, "I had a bill", Deus Ex Machina of a "twist ending" book known as Out Of The Dark... mad.gif

And so now I'm back to borrowing.

Safehold is--so far--quite worth reading, though, especially the latest book, How Firm A Foundation. Especially when Merlin gets to play at and show off being a seijin... biggrin.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
Just as an update, I saw a pic on line of Cyrus driving her new car-with 'someone' in the passenger seat, a guy the media didn't comment on, so I'm guessing that's her body guard and usually he would be in the same car, so my original post was correct.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 10 2012, 10:33 AM) *
Just as an update, I saw a pic on line of Cyrus driving her new car-with 'someone' in the passenger seat, a guy the media didn't comment on, so i'm guessing that's her body guard and usually he would be in the same car, so my original post was correct.
So when are you getting bodyguards for your family?
Daddy's Little Ninja
My oldest's godmother does the job just fine thank you.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 10 2012, 01:55 PM) *
My oldest's godmother does the job just fine thank you.

That's why no one goes after Runner-kids - no one wants to have Uncle FastJack and his pals come looking for little Johnny you kidnapped.
CanRay
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Feb 10 2012, 07:14 PM) *
That's why no one goes after Runner-kids - no one wants to have Uncle FastJack and his pals come looking for little Johnny you kidnapped.
Somebody better tell Clockwork that...
Tiralee
Sorry to thredjack a little, but I thought the main reason for extractions wasn't information, but creativity?

Basically, with enough headware and wires, you can have a kung-fu ninja research scientist chef getaway driver - but someone able to take concepts and give them profitable flesh are the main drivers for extractions.

Yes, of course there's the "Extract the target and extract the info" stuff, but the really scary extractions tend to be around the "brilliant loner" types rather than VP of manufacturing John Q.
As mentioned so often in various media-driven runs, no-one gives a dud round for whatever biosculpted shiny things is shaking her choreographed boody this week, it's the producer/writer/"creative talent" behind her/him/it.

So, rather than Milly Cirius Mk 54, it's the slob in the "Milly 4ever" t-shirt with the taco stains and the gold chain and the brain that can make a moderately-attractive white trash into something that will drive consumers to increase the production's bottom line by 2.6% over 5 quarters.

-Tir
CanRay
Yeah, but there's also the prestige of getting that person as well to think about, good for a short-term boost after she announces that she'll jump ship "happily and of her own free will", showing how evil one Corp is for controlling her and how good another one is for rescuing her. nyahnyah.gif
Tiralee
I may be a little cynical here...but do you think the faceless masses actually believe that?

-Maybe if they included 3D SenseSurround [tm]footage of her helping stem the gunshot wounds of one of her "rescuers" and then helping the injured into the awaiting VTOL with an armoured Troll laying down heavy fire from an assualt cannon, one handed, while shouting, "GetinDaCHOPPARRRRR!!"...

Or it could just be yet another promo for Shadowrunner - Heroes for Hire and Undersiege

It's all in the spin scatter.gif

-Tir

Dammit - I thought there was a dedicated "TM" insert somewhere. Silly me.
CanRay
Considering reality TV and how stupid the faceless masses are, yes.

Alt+0153. "™" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012