Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intentional over-encumberance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lunavoco
I have AGI 2, REA 2, and BOD 2. I know wearing too much armor gives -1 AGI & REA.

What happens if i wear enough armor to reduce my stats below 1? For me, that happens at anything above 6/6. Is there any reason i can't wear Whatever/Whatever and just accept the 0s for AGI and REA?
Yerameyahu
I assume you can't move. Maybe you could lie on a Segway. smile.gif
Blog
Segway with a rigger cocoon. Its the invasion of the pod people.

With 0 agi and reaction you pretty well cannot move and the armor is pinning you to the ground (or whatever you are on). You would need assistance to do any task that requires movement. This would include taking the armor off.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Feb 6 2012, 01:58 PM) *
I have AGI 2, REA 2, and BOD 2. I know wearing too much armor gives -1 AGI & REA.

What happens if i wear enough armor to reduce my stats below 1? For me, that happens at anything above 6/6. Is there any reason i can't wear Whatever/Whatever and just accept the 0s for AGI and REA?

As others have said, you would be immobilized.
So, just wear Softweaved FFBA 2 and Softweaved Armored Vest. SHould give you a fair armor rating nonetheless. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
My advice to you is to ask your GM to look into the optional rule in Arsenal that says you can wear any one set of armor without stacking penalties. Because frankly, there's no imaginable way that an urban explorer jumpsuit and a leather jacket should pin you to the floor.
CanRay
QUOTE (Blog @ Feb 6 2012, 05:03 PM) *
With 0 agi and reaction you pretty well cannot move and the armor is pinning you to the ground (or whatever you are on). You would need assistance to do any task that requires movement. This would include taking the armor off.
"Help, I've fallen while wearing my Michelin Man armour and can't reach my beer!"
lunavoco
Sounds good.

I'm still pissed that carrying a ballistic shiled and not wearing armor still puts me as encumbered. :/
Yerameyahu
It's heavy and you're weak. biggrin.gif
Aerospider
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 6 2012, 10:22 PM) *
It's heavy and you're weak. biggrin.gif

He didn't mention Strength ...
Yerameyahu
Yeah, because encumbrance inexplicably relies on Body.
CanRay
Your ability to handle the weight for a long length of time?
Fyndhal
Something like this might help?
Bodak
QUOTE (Blog @ Feb 7 2012, 07:03 AM) *
You would need assistance to do any task that requires movement. This would include taking the armor off.
You could lie inside a rigger cocoon with as much FFBA / SW / scarf / helmet / shield combo as you like and rely on an articulated mechanical arm to put you in and take you out of the cocoon, and detach your armour until that sudden moment when you can move completely unhindered again.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 7 2012, 03:28 AM) *
Yeah, because encumbrance inexplicably relies on Body.

Quite.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Blog @ Feb 6 2012, 09:03 PM) *

I don't think that that necessarily has to be the case. There are rules for certain specific cases of 0 Agility or Reaction, but I don't think there's anything general or anything specific to encumbrance. I take the 'numbers are for tests' approach myself, meaning you can walk, turn around and bend at the waist but as soon as dice are called for you automatically fail to a degree of my choosing. That said, I wouldn't want to allow the full walk/run rates (I don't even like them without encumbrance) but I've not had the need to houserule that yet.
Dakka Dakka
Exactly. The only place where it is mentioned that an Attribute of 0 results in paralysis is with the Decrease [Attribute] Spell. There isn't any mention whether negative Attributes are possible either.

Encumbrance and strength is also a tricky question, while we know when a character is overloaded, we do not know how much anything weighs.
Neraph
QUOTE (Bodak @ Feb 7 2012, 12:50 AM) *
You could lie inside a rigger cocoon with as much FFBA / SW / scarf / helmet / shield combo as you like and rely on an articulated mechanical arm to put you in and take you out of the cocoon, and detach your armour until that sudden moment when you can move completely unhindered again.

Yes. A rigger cocoon inside a Horseman (advanced cargo module) with Armor 12 and Personal Armor 10. That's 42 armor plus whatever you are wearing inside. Load up on armor, get two ballistic shields, and go into VR, letting the Horseman use those two mechanical arms to install you inside. -Rea and -Agi doesn't matter when you're in VR using Response and Intuition.
Irion
The rules for carrying stuff are silly anyway.
The avarage person may carry 30 kilo without even beeing aware of it? I do not think so....
But as soon as he trys to carry 60kg....
Yerameyahu
You're not supposed to typically worry about it, so it wouldn't matter. Armor, however, is a balance-motivated issue.
Blog
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 7 2012, 01:42 PM) *
Yes. A rigger cocoon inside a Horseman (advanced cargo module) with Armor 12 and Personal Armor 10. That's 42 armor plus whatever you are wearing inside. Load up on armor, get two ballistic shields, and go into VR, letting the Horseman use those two mechanical arms to install you inside. -Rea and -Agi doesn't matter when you're in VR using Response and Intuition.

And I suddenly think of the anime Gurren Lagann. You have a person inside a troll sized mech, piloting a small building sized mech, piloting a skyscraper sized mech, piloting a city sized mech, piloting a moon sized mech...

Or those little russian dolls but the anime shows more absurdity.

I was pulling my "cannot move" from what I remember of a physad with a drain agility to his attacks. armor may have a floor of 1, but either way we are all in agreement you are not getting very far very quickly.
Neraph
And honestly I was being a little silly, but the fact remains that it is RAW-legal.
snowRaven
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 7 2012, 04:37 AM) *
Your ability to handle the weight for a long length of time?

No, no, no - we all know that all weights in Shadowrun is in direct relation to Body, so if the armor is more than twice your Body it weighs more than you grinbig.gif

wobble.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 8 2012, 12:30 PM) *
And honestly I was being a little silly, but the fact remains that it is RAW-legal.

I... may or may not have in Missions additionally put the Horseman inside a van, which at one point was inside an aircraft.

<.<

>.>

I will say the GM inexplicably ruled that he could still hit me inside the van inside the Horseman with pistols. I'm not sure how, that game was kinda full of on-the-fly houserules. I can't say I'm a big fan of games where the rules change without warning every five minutes.

-k
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 9 2012, 09:17 AM) *
I... may or may not have in Missions additionally put the Horseman inside a van, which at one point was inside an aircraft.

<.<

>.>

I will say the GM inexplicably ruled that he could still hit me inside the van inside the Horseman with pistols.
-k

The Antagonist must have been using an .88 Magnum. It shoots through schools, you know. smile.gif
Yerameyahu
You kind of asked for it, though.
Neraph
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 9 2012, 10:17 AM) *

<.<

>.>

I will say the GM inexplicably ruled that he could still hit me inside the van inside the Horseman with pistols. I'm not sure how, that game was kinda full of on-the-fly houserules. I can't say I'm a big fan of games where the rules change without warning every five minutes.

-k

You're only a Called Shot/Longshot away.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 9 2012, 10:04 AM) *
You're only a Called Shot/Longshot away.

Though it is highly unlikely the pistol would actually harm the person wearing armor, riding in the Rigger Cocoon, in the Horseman, in the Van. Unless of course you use the .88 Magnum. Then, all bets are offf. smile.gif
Irion
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
It depends on how you handle armor penetration.
I am not quite sure, but I think you could read it so every single barrier would be subject to it.
So if you have a heavy pistol with anti-vehicle ammunition there is not much left of 3 barriers contributing 8 armor, each...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 9 2012, 10:23 AM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
It depends on how you handle armor penetration.
I am not quite sure, but I think you could read it so every single barrier would be subject to it.
So if you have a heavy pistol with anti-vehicle ammunition there is not much left of 3 barriers contributing 8 armor, each...

Why do you assume only 8 Armor on the vehicles?

Especially since the Rigger Cocoon gives 20 Armor, the Horseman (IIRC) had 16 and the Van likely has at least that many. Assumming you apply each armor seperately for penetration, Any one of these will bounce a Heavy Pistol with AV ammo unless the Attacker got at least 6 Hits, and you would need 10+ hits to penetrate the Cocoon. And that is assuming you apply armor seperately, and in sequence. Not really going to happen. Remember, the DV has to be higher than the Modified Armor to even penetrate (Since Vehicle armor is Hardened).
Sorry.
Irion
I was just pointing out how interpretating the rules like that would change the meaning of three sperated barriers. (Of course to get through those a pistol is a bit weak)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 9 2012, 10:45 AM) *
I was just pointing out how interpretating the rules like that would change the meaning of three sperated barriers. (Of course to get through those a pistol is a bit weak)

Indeed... Of course, any remaining Armor would still add to the Character's soak pool, which gets really ugly at that point.
No worries. smile.gif
Irion
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
True, you would need to up the power. A barret with -11 AP might look better.
True, it might still not be enough, but considering the other way...

So if you have 3 barriers with a raiting of 20 each, the barret would reduce it to 9 each. Which would mean it could possibly hit through all the barriers. (True it would need around 7 hits to do so (or a called shot and 3 hits).
But compared to applying AP once...
Yerameyahu
Just use S&S. Snrk.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 9 2012, 11:03 AM) *
Just use S&S. Snrk.

Snrk? smile.gif
Modular Man
Gauss Cannon smile.gif
Always worth a (very expensive) shot. Every Team should have one, preferably drone-mounted (for better energy supply).
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 9 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Snrk? smile.gif
Popping his wrist spurs underwater? Trying to pronounce "Stark" underwater? Trying to make the sound of a stifled snigger?
Yerameyahu
The interaction effects of S&S with barriers always merits a stifled snigger, yes. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 9 2012, 01:17 PM) *
The interaction effects of S&S with barriers always merits a stifled snigger, yes. smile.gif

Heh... Got it... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012