Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drakes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Loch
Do drakes killed in dracoform revert to their metahuman form once dead?

Can you use parts from a drake killed in such a manner as telesma? Are drakes special enough, magically speaking, that you could even use the metahuman tissue of a dead drake as telesma?

Thank you.
Stahlseele
Well, technically, a Drake is a DRAKE that can assume Metahuman Form, NOT a Metahuman that can assume Form of a Drake.
So by THAT logic, they SHOULD revert to/stay in their Drake Form on Death.
And yes, they should make almost as good Telesma as a normal Dragon would . .
SpellBinder
Drakes are metahumans with the ability to transform into a dragon form (found in Running Wild & Runner's Companion). DNA tests come back to metahuman, not dragon, unlike shapeshifters who's DNA comes back as animal (taken from Runner's Companion). Careful examination does suggest some draconic sequencing in the metahuman DNA, however (taken from Running Wild). The appearance of a drake tends to mimic metahuman features (same eye color, scales tinted the same as hair color, etc.) (taken from Runner's Companion). A drake's aura shows it's other form: while metahuman it shows drake, and while drake it shows metahuman (taken from Runner's Wild). Drakes have the power "Shift: Drake", not "Shift: Human" like shapeshifters do (taken from Runner's Companion). Any implants are available and usable only in their human form, as opposed to shifters who have such only available in their animal form (taken from Runner's Companion).

I don't know where Stahlseele got the information, but from the books it's not as he posted. As for what happens when a drake dies, I haven't seen any fluff or game rule information one way or another, but I would presume that a drake reverts to their metahuman form upon death (and would expect shifters to revert to their animal form), and thus not be usable as telesma.
The Jake
German sourcebooks perhaps?

- J.
Yerameyahu
It seems pretty clear that the rules *should* be as Stahlseele said, though. smile.gif Oh well.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 8 2012, 10:04 PM) *
It seems pretty clear that the rules *should* be as Stahlseele said, though. smile.gif Oh well.

Except that he's wrong. Drakes are metahumans who turn into something else, not something else that turns into a metahuman.
Yerameyahu
That's what '*should*' means.
snowRaven
Well, the fourth world drakes were magical beings that could turn into metahumans.

Sixth world drakes, on the other hand, are as far as I know unexplained on that point. They could be amnesiacs who went dormant along with dragons and woke up not knowing what they were...but if that scenario (presented in Threats 2) was true, someone should have figured it out by now. Or, they could contain genetic information from the old drakes, making them metahuman-drake hybrids of some sort. Or, maybe they are something else. Runner's XCompanion seems to take the stand point that they are genetic descendants of the old drakes in some way...if that helps.

They are highly magical though, so I'd say you can strip them for parts at the enchanting chop shop...
Draco18s
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 8 2012, 11:19 PM) *
Or, they could contain genetic information from the old drakes, making them metahuman-drake hybrids of some sort. Or, maybe they are something else. Runner's XCompanion seems to take the stand point that they are genetic descendants of the old drakes in some way...if that helps.

Check 3rd edition. There were both created drakes and breed drakes.

6th world drakes (as per 4th edition) are clearly breed drakes.
Stahlseele
Meaning that following that logic, they are drakes first, Metahumans second.
Just like Trolls and Orks and Dwarves and Elves expressed as what they are.
Neraph
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Feb 8 2012, 06:47 PM) *
Drakes are metahumans with the ability to transform into a dragon form (found in Running Wild & Runner's Companion). DNA tests come back to metahuman, not dragon, unlike shapeshifters who's DNA comes back as animal (taken from Runner's Companion). Careful examination does suggest some draconic sequencing in the metahuman DNA, however (taken from Running Wild). The appearance of a drake tends to mimic metahuman features (same eye color, scales tinted the same as hair color, etc.) (taken from Runner's Companion). A drake's aura shows it's other form: while metahuman it shows drake, and while drake it shows metahuman (taken from Runner's Wild). Drakes have the power "Shift: Drake", not "Shift: Human" like shapeshifters do (taken from Runner's Companion). Any implants are available and usable only in their human form, as opposed to shifters who have such only available in their animal form (taken from Runner's Companion).

I don't know where Stahlseele got the information, but from the books it's not as he posted. As for what happens when a drake dies, I haven't seen any fluff or game rule information one way or another, but I would presume that a drake reverts to their metahuman form upon death (and would expect shifters to revert to their animal form), and thus not be usable as telesma.

All correct.

Just because something was one way in a different gaming system does not mean it is the same way in Shadowrun.

Interestingly, the Shift Power (page 85, Runner's Companion) says in the last paragraph that when you shift you are shifted until you shift back - meaning if you die while shifted, you don't revert. It would if it were a Sustained Power, but it is not.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 9 2012, 12:03 PM) *
Meaning that following that logic, they are drakes first, Metahumans second.
Just like Trolls and Orks and Dwarves and Elves expressed as what they are.

Apples and Oranges.

Orks and trolls don't stop being orks and trolls when called metahumans.

Drakes on the other hand can be one or the other, and not both at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012