Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick query for when using the "Wind" spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tiralee
Hoihoi,

According to the book(MItS, page 148), the spell "Wind" can knock over freestanding barriers and people if they fail their knockdown test.
I've been assuming that as a spell, "Wind" is treated as a ranged knockdown test (for the people) so that's a Body test versus 1/2 of the force of the spell, rounded down.

Let me know if I've missed errata and that I've read this right before Stormy of the "Mexnen" has to re-roll a character's concepts:)

Thank you.

-Tir.
Link
From MiTS,
The Strength of the gust is equal to the successes on the Sorcery Test (up to the Force of the spell)

Living targets in the area of effect must make a Knockdown Test (p. 124, SR3) against the Strength of the spell

so the knockdown test has a TN = spell's strength.
Tiralee
Yah - I know the knockdown test is Body Vs the Spell's strength, but I assumed that it also used the magic = ranged calculation, rather than the "if in melee, use the opponent's Str as the TN"

Ii just seemed a little overpowered that if I cast a F5 Wind spell (with 4+ successes) vs a Bod 3 onlooker, I'd blow them down.

Basically, Spell Wind, Force 5, 4 Successes (past threshold, if you were wondering) vs a Bod 3, TN 5. Shadowrunners would just abuse the hell out of this. (I know I would:))
If it's ranged, then the Body TN becomes 2, easily dooable, but still room for the mighty rule of one.

Wording didn't say which knockdown test calculation to use, just use a Knockdown test:)

Tir.
KarmaInferno
Sometimes wind can be very powerful.

smile.gif

-k
Kliko
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Feb 11 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Basically, Spell Wind, Force 5, 4 Successes (past threshold, if you were wondering) vs a Bod 3, TN 5. Shadowrunners would just abuse the hell out of this. (I know I would:))
4 succeses makes the tn4 on a 3 (body) dice roll. Most of the time, that shouldn't be an issue, perhaps inconvenient at most.
ShadowWalker
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Feb 10 2012, 06:26 PM) *
Hoihoi,

According to the book(MItS, page 148), the spell "Wind" can knock over freestanding barriers and people if they fail their knockdown test.
I've been assuming that as a spell, "Wind" is treated as a ranged knockdown test (for the people) so that's a Body test versus 1/2 of the force of the spell, rounded down.

Let me know if I've missed errata and that I've read this right before Stormy of the "Mexnen" has to re-roll a character's concepts:)

Thank you.

-Tir.

what book is MItS? Is this 3rd ed or 4th ed?
Illume
QUOTE (ShadowWalker @ Feb 12 2012, 03:20 PM) *
what book is MItS? Is this 3rd ed or 4th ed?
MItS is Magic In the Shadows, and its 3rd edition, which is why it has the SR3 post icon next to the topic's title.
ShadowWalker
QUOTE (Illume @ Feb 12 2012, 12:47 PM) *
MItS is Magic In the Shadows, and its 3rd edition, which is why it has the SR3 post icon next to the topic's title.

Ah, didn't notice the icon.
Don't see this spell in any of the sr4 books, going to play around with what's in street magic to see if I can make something similar.
Tiralee
As SR4 is the current version, I thought it only polite to mention that I'm a dinosaur smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012