Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karmagen Query
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aria
I've been looking more and more into karmagen and I like the principal of rounded characters but there are a couple of things that aren't quite clear in my mind (looong week nyahnyah.gif):

1)If I start as a metatype (let's say an elf) I get the starting charisma of 3 - does it cost the same to get it to 4 as a human getting it from 3-4 does (or do I add the bonuses afterwards?!?) - I am assuming this is correct!

2)There aren't any additional penalties (additional costs) for maxing an attribute, other than the high karma cost of doing so?

3)Are edge and magic counted in the maximum attribute points or are they outside this?

Thanks!
Irion
1) Raising 3 to 4 costs 4*5(or 4*3) Karma. New attribute*5(or 3)

2) Not that I am aware of.

3)RAW I think they are counted for the maximum points. But it seems silly.
Aria
It does seem a bit extreme that mages (etc) need to share those points across magic too, but then I haven't compared what attributes are like with karmagen versus BP...I guess you might get more out of KG and therefore it makes sense to combine?!? Or maybe not...
Irion
Depends on if you use the rule attribute*3 or attribute*5.
With attribute*3, Karmagen is just superior.
A 400 BP character will be around 400 to 500 Karma...
Thanee
QUOTE (Aria @ Feb 14 2012, 06:44 PM) *
It does seem a bit extreme that mages (etc) need to share those points across magic too.

I would just scratch that and make the limit apply to Physical/Mental Attributes only. Just like it is in the regular character generation rules as well.

Bye
Thanee
ElFenrir
One tip-if you use Attribute*5, I'd *highly* recommend to not count Edge, Resonance or Magic into the final allowed total. Magically Active/Technomancer Humans get pretty well boned under that, even compared to 400 BP. (They can't even get the stats they could get as a 400 BP build if Edge and Magic/Resonance are counted toward the half-Karma total.)

On the other hand, if Attribute*3, I'd definitely count them. You can get a lot more out of that as it is.
Yerameyahu
The limit only exists to encourage playable characters in the first place, and it's mainly for BPgen (given that Karmagen inherently discourages overspending). To include Edge and Magic has to have been an error, period.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012