Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrolasers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
crash2029
Hoi, I was wondering if anybody knows/made any rules for electrolasers? I was wanting a pistol-sized less lethal energy weapon for a runner I am making. I figured electrolasers or PEPs would fit the bill nicely. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.
Yerameyahu
I liked this better when it was called a lightning gun.

But no. smile.gif SR(4) has normal lasers.

A pistol-sized stun weapon, hmm? Like… a pistol with S&S, or a taser?
crash2029
Hmm, too bad. I know I can get roughly the same results with a taser or s&s rounds, but I wanted something exotic, preferably energy based. If necessary I will see if I can use the Mako Arc Pistol I came up with awhile ago. I was hoping for something official. BTW if I knew how I would add a link to the picture I did for that gun. Sorry.
Yerameyahu
There's also the Screech weapons, etc. I dunno, it seems like goofing with the setting to add an exotic sci-fi (though, yes, not impossible) gun just to be special. But do what you like, obviously. smile.gif

I feel like the laser rules would be particularly unkind to it, though, especially for a small pistol-sized weapon. :/
KarmaInferno
Ares Shockbeam. WAR!, page 155.

8 stun (electrical), AP -half, 16F, 14000 nuyen.gif .

-k
Neraph
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 20 2012, 09:44 PM) *

-k

Beat me to it.
Yerameyahu
Whoa, missed that. smile.gif Count on WAR to bring the crazy.

Relevant for OP: "inaccurate—the weapon is the size of a large assault rifle, but it uses shotgun ranges."
Elfenlied
The Fichetti Pain Inducer from the Core Rulebook might fit the bill.
Neraph
IIRC, it uses a laser to superheat a conductive pathway for the lightning it generates to hit its target, which is actually a feasible method of delivery.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 21 2012, 06:45 PM) *
IIRC, it uses a laser to superheat a conductive pathway for the lightning it generates to hit its target, which is actually a feasible method of delivery.

Sounds neat - where can I buy one? I need it for work...
Yerameyahu
OP linked to the wikipedia page. smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 22 2012, 12:05 AM) *
OP linked to the wikipedia page. smile.gif

I was hoping more for a link to eBay or something... wink.gif
Raven the Trickster
Tesla Gloves, exotic ranged weapon with 1m energy arcs for 4S(e)

Attitude pg. 154
Yerameyahu
Weird!
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Feb 22 2012, 03:29 AM) *

Attitude pg. 154

Who says you need to be a mage to throw lightning bolts wink.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Feb 21 2012, 06:45 PM) *
The Fichetti Pain Inducer from the Core Rulebook might fit the bill.

I think that uses microwaves to heat the upper layer of the targets skin.
Neraph
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Feb 21 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Attitude pg. 154

Doh, I can't believe I forgot those. Those rank waaay up there on the "Cool-o-meter." I want Tesla-Holo-AR Gloves.
KarmaInferno
My Pixie MystAd got a pair.

Yes. She can throw magic lightning bolts. She still wanted the gloves.

-k
Yerameyahu
I dunno. At some point things stop being cool and start being weird and fancy for the hell of it. :/ I'm having trouble with basically everything in War, Attitude, and Spy Games. smile.gif
Irion
This is the thired time I read something like this recently--
There's also the Screech weapons, etc. I dunno, it seems like goofing with the setting to add an exotic sci-fi (though, yes, not impossible) gun just to be special. But do what you like, obviously.

Followed by something like this

I guess WAR! is becoming a trope.
The Jopp
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Feb 21 2012, 01:32 AM) *
Hoi, I was wondering if anybody knows/made any rules for electrolasers? I was wanting a pistol-sized less lethal energy weapon for a runner I am making. I figured electrolasers or PEPs would fit the bill nicely. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

In theory you could make one today, in 60 years...

Just take a Tazer and say that it uses a small laser to ionize the air to deliver electricity. After all, if we can have a micro welder laser in the eye we should be able to fix it into a gun and add a battery for the shock effect. The only difference from a regular tazer would be the no-need for wires.
Mäx
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Feb 22 2012, 11:19 AM) *
The only difference from a regular tazer would be the no-need for wires.

Not even that actually, only the troll tazer uses wires.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 22 2012, 12:06 AM) *
This is the thired time I read something like this recently--

Followed by something like this

I guess WAR! is becoming a trope.

Well, not everyone has a problem with WAR! smile.gif
Elfenlied
Be glad you guys don't have the German WAR! book. It's been merged with another splatbook, MilSpec Tech. YMMV.

Draco18s
"Because a laser-induced plasma channel relies on ionization, there must be air or some other gas between the electrolaser weapon and the target."

*Snort*
A.k.a. "This gun does not work in outer space."
Neraph
Right, in space you take dmg from a laser shot right before you take dmg from electricity. biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 22 2012, 09:05 AM) *
"Because a laser-induced plasma channel relies on ionization, there must be air or some other gas between the electrolaser weapon and the target."

*Snort*
A.k.a. "This gun does not work in outer space."

And why would you choose to use a Shockbeam in Space, exactly? smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 22 2012, 11:29 AM) *
And why would you choose to use a Shockbeam in Space, exactly? smile.gif

What I'm wondering is, why that had to be spelled out on Wikipedia.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 22 2012, 09:49 AM) *
What I'm wondering is, why that had to be spelled out on Wikipedia.

Ahhhh.... Yeah, that is a bit weird. smile.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Feb 22 2012, 04:51 PM) *
Be glad you guys don't have the German WAR! book. It's been merged with another splatbook, MilSpec Tech. YMMV.

Well said splat can be had in the form of a PDF or part of the Runner's Black Book, so it is nothing special to the german market...
snowRaven
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 22 2012, 04:28 AM) *
Who says you need to be a mage to throw lightning bolts wink.gif

Perfect for your Sith-wannabe cloak-wearing adept! grinbig.gif

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 22 2012, 06:24 AM) *
I dunno. At some point things stop being cool and start being weird and fancy for the hell of it. :/ I'm having trouble with basically everything in War, Attitude, and Spy Games. smile.gif

The stuff in Attitude I find mostly consistent with the 80s cyberpunk-weirdness that SR is partly based on, so that works fine for me. Spy Games I find tethering on the edge at some points, but no more than parts of the 'basioc' sourcebooks really. War! has a lot of things I happily ignore, though...
NiL_FisK_Urd
I ignore most of the pricing for MilSpec Vehicles - especially the combat drones in WAR!, as they are about a factor 10 - 100 to cheap (of course, the pricing for the MBTs and Jets also make no sense, but a price-range of a few million is outside of player reach anyways).
Irion
It is generally a problem if you bring out rulebooks with extensions.
It always leads to the fact, that everything in there is even too good or just worthless. Already there or has a completly different flavor.
This a foundamental problem, you can't get rid of.

Yes, you may minimize it, but thats very hard to do and requires disciplined and smart writers and a hell of organisation skills.

A way to prevent this is to have one book for one topic.
For example:
Arsenal, if it is a weapon, it is in the arsenal.
Riggers handbook, if it is a drone or vehicle in shadowrun, it is in the riggers handbook
Augmentation, if ...
Way of the adept, everything about adepts
Way of the magician, everything about magicians
Way of the spirits, everything about spirits
So really put one aspect in one book and make it a complete piece of work.
snowRaven
Only problem with that is that you can't ever introduce new/different gear unless you restart with a new edition...
Irion
Did not say it has no drawbacks. wink.gif

It great for searching rules and and makes the rule fitting better. But you have to think ahead more.
snowRaven
Then again, it's even easier if you put everything in the main rulebook.

(except lifting said rulebook, of course - but that's what pdf's are for isn't it?) wink.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 22 2012, 10:47 AM) *
Well, not everyone has a problem with WAR! smile.gif

Oh, I have plenty of problems with WAR, just not with that bit.

-k
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 23 2012, 12:32 AM) *
Oh, I have plenty of problems with WAR, just not with that bit.

-k

Point Taken... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012