Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dwarf Rigger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gamble
So a close friend of mine and I are wanting to start back up with Shadowrun. I haven't read the books in forever and have started again, however, with a new baby in the house and work etc, I haven't had the time to dedicate in sitting down and crunching the rules and numbers hard like I used to.

I would like a Dwarf Rigger, non technomancer, 500 BP build with all of the source books available. He would be mostly a drone rigger and only occasionally jump in. I eventually after many sessions want to save up for a T-Bird but for now a Bulldog Step-Van (or something similar) is his main ride. As for drones, I've noticed that the LEBD is a great choice as well as the steel lynx. I would like those but is certainly open for suggestions. I was curious how most here would do a dwarf rigger (especially Udoshi and Shin).

Any assistance would be welcome and appreciated. cyber.gif
Udoshi
I've been called out for my rigging knowledge? Well crap.

I will not make the character for you, but I will give you good suggestions.

First up: You're using 500bp. Great! Are you using any different starting limitations for your game?
Availability above 12, a higher limit on starting cash, pertinent houserules we should know about?

I know you can start with a t-bird, actually. It takes pretty much every trick in the book, but you CAN do it. It won't be one of the milspec t-birds, but here, enjoy.

With 500BP to play with, I would STRONGLY consider being an Adept rigger with a point of ware. There are plenty of adept powers that help you rig, and most of them are very cheap. Most of them are skillboosts, and the main attraction there is being able to take groups to 4 and then Improved Skill all the skills you want to 6. The adept path of the artisan just makes it better.
Gamble
Looks like I'll have to read up on adepts but I'm trying to stay away from magic/technomancing as much as possible and just go straight 'ware. No other starting limitations other than what is standard. So if I want a restricted item, I'd have to purchase the positive quality to get it.

And I can start with a T-Bird? Really now? Wonder how you can pull that off...
Udoshi
QUOTE (Gamble @ Feb 23 2012, 04:11 PM) *
And I can start with a T-Bird? Really now? Wonder how you can pull that off...

You missed my hyperlink. Reply hazy, try again!
ShadowDragon8685
If you're starting after Knight-Errant took over from Lone Star, you might see if you can convince the GM to bring the Availability down on a surplussed ex-Lone Star Ares Citymaster. They're fun, reasonably priced even in new condition, not exactly uncommon in the streets, and while you could get it by taking a quality that lets you get an item up to Avail 20, you could also get a T-Bird free and clear with that quality, too.

Plus, KE uses them, too, so with an appropriate coating of cloaking material, you could have a truck that could go under an overpass in civvie colors and come out wearing Knight Errant's colors.
Udoshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 23 2012, 08:22 PM) *
, and while you could get it by taking a quality that lets you get an item up to Avail 20, you could also get a T-Bird free and clear with that quality, too.

Which model in particular did you have in mind? I'm pretty sure most bona-fide armed, high-speed T-birds have pretty massive availability.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Feb 23 2012, 11:36 PM) *
Which model in particular did you have in mind? I'm pretty sure most bona-fide armed, high-speed T-birds have pretty massive availability.

Oooh, my bad. I thought the Banshee was Avail 20, not 24.
UmaroVI
You might find it useful to check the characters in my sig (in particular the Mercenary Rigger) for starting points/ideas.
NiL_FisK_Urd
Control Rig Booster Nanites are a skill modifier to EACH pilot skill (but they are incompatible with a simsense booster)
Udoshi
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Feb 24 2012, 01:59 AM) *
Control Rig Booster Nanites are a skill modifier to EACH pilot skill (but they are incompatible with a simsense booster)

The neat thing about control rig boosters and simsense boosters is that you CAN have both, but can't use both at once.
Augmentation has rules text about nanoware being able to be started up and shut down very quickly, and as a piece of cyberware you can always shut down your simsense booster - or unsubscribe from it so you can't use its resources.

Its not very USEFUL, but its possible, and control rig boosters still suck.
Modular Man
I must have missed something.
Why would a simsense booster keep me from using control rig boosters?
Also, note that control rig boosters actually raise your vehicle skill level. There's a limit to that. Adept powers do this, too, and both can easily reach said limit on their own - combining them might be a waste of ressources. You can, of course, use the adept powers to maximize certain skills that are used in vehicles/drones, but are not vehicle skills themselves, such as Perception or Dodge.
I like my multitasking adept/rigger smile.gif Helps me keep multiple "windows" in AR sight without ever worrying about dice pool penalties for overwhelming AR.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Feb 24 2012, 11:43 PM) *
Why would a simsense booster keep me from using control rig boosters?

Specific limitation in the rules for it.
Probably dumb holdover shit from third when you had to choose between being a good rigger or a hacker, or so I've heard.

Control rig boosters aren't really that powerful anyway. the pilot skill isn't THAT great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012