Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prototype Ares Thunderstruck Gauss Rifle?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nylanfs
A Prototype Ares Thunderstruck Gauss Rifle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBIZF35rSM
Yerameyahu
That one is for a battleship. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
That just makes it better. biggrin.gif

Besides, first computers took up a room. Give 'em ....say ... 60 years. You can have your gauss rifle.
Yerameyahu
I don't think that's how physics works, per se, but yes. smile.gif You can have a much weaker, person-scaled item.
fistandantilus4.0
"Physics". *Pshhh*
maine75man
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Feb 29 2012, 10:39 PM) *
"Physics". *Pshhh*

Unfortunately physics also means that test cannons like this are likely a waste of time. The material requirements for the rails border on unobtainium. Between the heat, the electricity, and the forces involved these gun don't have much of a service life. These things are impressive, but I'm not sure we are even remotely close to solving the material problem. No one is going to put these on a battleship if the barrel has to be rebuilt after a half dozen shots.
Neraph
QUOTE (maine75man @ Mar 1 2012, 12:31 AM) *
Unfortunately physics also means that test cannons like this are likely a waste of time. The material requirements for the rails border on unobtainium. Between the heat, the electricity, and the forces involved these gun don't have much of a service life. These things are impressive, but I'm not sure we are even remotely close to solving the material problem. No one is going to put these on a battleship if the barrel has to be rebuilt after a half dozen shots.

Not entirely a waste of time. Look what came from it.

EDIT: And also...
Draco18s
IIRC, a friend of mine from a long time ago, made one that fired paperclips. Had quite a bit of power to it (embedded the projectile into the wall irretrievably).
maine75man
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 3 2012, 12:37 AM) *
Not entirely a waste of time. Look what came from it.

EDIT: And also...

I think these are both coil guns not rail guns. Entirely different kinds of linear motors. The max velocity of coil guns is probably comparable to gunpowder explosions. It's limited by how fast you can switch the magnets on and off among other things.
Neraph
Excellent point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012