Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lone star in the UK
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
duke
Its been a while and cant remember if the UK had a version of Lone star but it looks like it might be on the way in the UK in real life

Police invite bids from private security firms
hobgoblin
We clearly do live in interesting times...
ShadowDragon8685
This seems like a monumentally bad idea, somehow....
CanRay
Never stopped the government before.

"Take time out from what you're doing to count paperclips to ensure they haven't been stolen. In order to reduce cost overruns." "Won't that cost more in manhours?" "COUNT THE DAMNED CLIPS!"
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 4 2012, 09:55 AM) *

"Take time out from what you're doing to count paperclips to ensure they haven't been stolen. In order to reduce cost overruns." "Won't that cost more in manhours?" "COUNT THE DAMNED CLIPS!"

Somehow this seems significantly worse than wasting man-hours...
CanRay
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 4 2012, 11:36 AM) *
Somehow this seems significantly worse than wasting man-hours...
I'm just throwing an infamous example. I know it's a much more worse thing.
Manunancy
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 4 2012, 03:55 PM) *

Also completely stupid : pool 10 apperclips, measure the weight. Maybe even 100 if you want accuracy. Then gather the clips and weight that. You've vounted your paperclips in a fraction of the time.
TwoDee
QUOTE (duke @ Mar 3 2012, 06:22 AM) *
Its been a while and cant remember if the UK had a version of Lone star but it looks like it might be on the way in the UK in real life

Police invite bids from private security firms

Funnily enough, the UK in Shadowrun is all government. The coppers and the sherlocks do all the police duty.

Which actually makes modern Britain a tiny increment more Shadowrunny than Shadowrun Britain.
CanRay
Not to mention more surveillance cameras than what was described in Nineteen-Eighty-Four's London.

You'd think they'd have known better?
pbangarth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 5 2012, 04:44 PM) *
Not to mention more surveillance cameras than what was described in Nineteen-Eighty-Four's London.

You'd be surprised what you can get a nation to do if only you can convince them to be scared of somebody.

*hangs head* Well, OK, not surprised.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 5 2012, 10:44 PM) *

There are times i wonder if the high ups everywhere is using said book as a guide, not as a warning.
Chinane
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 6 2012, 10:23 AM) *
There are times i wonder if the high ups everywhere is using said book as a guide, not as a warning.

I always considere Orwell a great writer of manuals and howtos smile.gif.
CanRay
QUOTE (Chinane @ Mar 6 2012, 06:01 AM) *
I always considere Orwell a great writer of manuals and howtos smile.gif.
Sad part is, yeah... I was a cog in the wheel, and feel that we're driving towards a world where it's like the movie "Brazil", only without the satire.
Daylen
Not very new. In the US private companies did this sort of thing in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And as far as the UK haven't you guys heard of Sherlock Holmes?
CanRay
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 6 2012, 04:19 PM) *
And as far as the UK haven't you guys heard of Sherlock Holmes?
Private Investigator, he wasn't a cop. He wasn't even really a PI, he was just a genius that wanted a challenge rather than live his life in a cocaine haze.
Daylen
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 6 2012, 10:58 PM) *
Private Investigator, he wasn't a cop. He wasn't even really a PI, he was just a genius that wanted a challenge rather than live his life in a cocaine haze.

The article referenced in this thread said only investigations would be partially done by private companies. That means private investigators. Sherlock Holmes was hired on occasion by police.

And he didn't just live in a cocaine haze when not investigating, he also went for morphine, and other opiates from the local pharmacy.
CanRay
Completely legal back then. Honestly, I think they're doing a fine job portraying him in the new movies, and giving Dr. Watson some extra character that Sir Doyle hadn't, and wasn't able to due to the good doctor being the voice, and not likely to focus on his own dark spots. His war wound, on the other hand, was a badge of honor.
Daylen
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 6 2012, 11:13 PM) *
Completely legal back then. Honestly, I think they're doing a fine job portraying him in the new movies, and giving Dr. Watson some extra character that Sir Doyle hadn't, and wasn't able to due to the good doctor being the voice, and not likely to focus on his own dark spots. His war wound, on the other hand, was a badge of honor.

yes, before the moral guardians got innundated into government.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012