Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rapid Regeneration?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bombastic 451
I have a Vampire Adept, and I was wondering whether or not the bonus from the Rapid Healing Adept Power could be applied to the tests for the Regeneration Critter Power.
NiL_FisK_Urd
You can add "Attribute Boost (BOD)"
almost normal
Yep. Good spotting of synergy there.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Bombastic 451 @ Mar 9 2012, 06:21 AM) *
I have a Vampire Adept, and I was wondering whether or not the bonus from the Rapid Healing Adept Power could be applied to the tests for the Regeneration Critter Power.

I would say no. The Rapid Healing power specifies that it is for the Healing test on p. 252 of SR4A which is healing naturally. Regeneration is a different test, so it wouldn't apply. That said, since Rapid Healing applies to Natural Healing, I'd let it count whenever healing damage from a Vulnerability or Allergen.
Bombastic 451
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Mar 9 2012, 10:46 AM) *
I would say no. The Rapid Healing power specifies that it is for the Healing test on p. 252 of SR4A which is healing naturally. Regeneration is a different test, so it wouldn't apply. That said, since Rapid Healing applies to Natural Healing, I'd let it count whenever healing damage from a Vulnerability or Allergen.

True, but I'm still wondering if it would be worth to make the argument that both powers boost the natural healing process, and may therefore be accumulative. In other words, can the Regeneration Test be counted as a "Healing Test" or are they too incompatible/overpowered to do so? I recognize that due to the technical wording of Rapid Healing this would have to be a house rule requiring GM approval.
Stahlseele
Regeneration is unnatural healing. Not natural healing. It's magical healing.
Natural healing is only the body healing.
almost normal
It's natural for the critter born with the power.

It's good.
Stahlseele
No, it's a CRITTER POWER. A magical effect. Nothing natural in that, no matter how born in it is . .
Aerospider
QUOTE (almost normal @ Mar 9 2012, 08:29 PM) *
It's natural for the critter born with the power.

It's good.

However, it is an assumption to say regeneration is the equivalent of healing for those that have it. If you could suppress one of a vampire's powers and you chose Regeneration, would the vampire still be able to heal at standard rates? If no then Rapid Healing should apply to Regeneration, if yes then it shouldn't and given that critters with regeneration do rely on non-Regeneration healing for certain types of damage it should be deduced that Rapid Healing and Regeneration should not combine.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2012, 08:33 PM) *
No, it's a CRITTER POWER. A magical effect. Nothing natural in that, no matter how born in it is . .

No, no, no, you can't get away with that. What's your definition of 'natural' here? SR4 has known magic for multiple generations, it's known that magic has existed for eons and not only are there critters that are innately magical but there are also beings that are nothing but magic. If you're arguing that magic is anathemic to nature you've got a lot to argue against.
snowRaven
At my table, I let 'Rapid Healing' power, as well as 'Quick Healer' quality apply to regeneration as well.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Mar 9 2012, 09:53 PM) *
No, no, no, you can't get away with that. What's your definition of 'natural' here? SR4 has known magic for multiple generations, it's known that magic has existed for eons and not only are there critters that are innately magical but there are also beings that are nothing but magic. If you're arguing that magic is anathemic to nature you've got a lot to argue against.

stuff caused by magic is not natural. end of story.
critters born from magic or with magic ain't natural either.
they are para[normal(hence not normal)]critters.
Yerameyahu
Seems pretty clear to me, yeah. Just because it's normal for them doesn't mean it's 'normal healing'. 'Normal healing' has a specific RAW mechanic, separate from Regeneration.
BishopMcQ
To divide between Natural versus Paranormal, look at Running Wild. Mundane Powers are perfectly natural, function even if Magic is dropped to zero, etc. Paranormal powers require magic, and are impacted by Background Counts, etc.

Paranormal Powers would be outside of the natural as far as the RAW go. If you want to houserule, by all means go for it.
Neraph
QUOTE (SR4A, page 197, Rapid Healing)
Each level adds 1 die to your Body for Healing Tests (p. 252).

QUOTE (SR4A, page 296, Regeneration)
At the end of a Combat Turn, make a Magic + Body Test.

Since Regeneration neither uses a Healing Test and does not lie on page 252, Rapid Healing cannot add dice to it.
almost normal
Though RAW doesn't specifically state that to be the case, I agree.

It is however, a common sense application. Your mileage of common sense in your own games may vary.
snowRaven
I only let it apply because how slow Regeneration is now compared to other editions...
almost normal
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 9 2012, 10:28 PM) *
I only let it apply because how slow Regeneration is now compared to other editions...

Okay, snowRaven! You've been dead for two passes... Make me a ReGen check.
snowRaven
well, previously it was always at the end of the turn as well, but it was an all or notrhing not. Now, you can have beings that won't regenerate more than a box or three on average - making it very easy to keep them down.

Even with both Quick Healer and a few levels of Rapid ealing you only average 1-2 extra hits anyway wink.gif
Yerameyahu
Really? I thought Regeneration was one of the beefier powers, in no need of a boost. :/

If that's not the case at a specific table, the GM can certainly adjust it. This seems like a fair method of doing so, if that's what the table wants.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 10 2012, 04:45 AM) *
Really? I thought Regeneration was one of the beefier powers, in no need of a boost. :/

If that's not the case at a specific table, the GM can certainly adjust it. This seems like a fair method of doing so, if that's what the table wants.

It's much weaker than in previous editions, though.

Nowadays, all it takes is a few mages with Stun bolt to kill a being with regeneration...they had to nerf it when it became available for PCs wink.gif
Yerameyahu
Ah. In fairness, a few mages with stunbolts does basically everything. smile.gif
NiL_FisK_Urd
Except drones ^^
Yerameyahu
Naturally. smile.gif
Aerospider
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2012, 09:42 PM) *
stuff caused by magic is not natural. end of story.
critters born from magic or with magic ain't natural either.
they are para[normal(hence not normal)]critters.

... and there's the crux.

'Natural' =! 'Normal'
Yerameyahu
So? Either way, Regeneration is a Power, not a Natural Healing.
Aerospider
I quite agree that the two don't combine - it was the logic in play that didn't work for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012