Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Double-barrelled 1911
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tanegar
Click to blow your mind.
The general consensus (with which I agree) is that it's a novelty gun. I can totally see some garage gunsmith producing something like this in the Sixth World, though. Especially in LA.
The Jopp
Meh, there are plenty of cool guns that SR4 misses out on.

The Lemat Revolver - 9 bullets and underbarrel shotgun
The Lefauchex(sp) 20 round revolver with double barrels
McFairlain Tri-Barrel Shotgun
Combination Guns
TP-82 Russian Survival Gun (Pistol Shotgun - Space Program Survival Gun)
There are also some quad barrel shotguns floating around as well.
The Jopp
A few quickly clobbered together rules for weapon modifications.

New Weapon Mods
Stock Removal
Slots: -1
Cost: As Barrel Reduction
Concealability Modifier: -2
Recoil Modifier: +2

Additional Barrel
Cost: Base Damage Code X100Y /Barrel Max +2 Barrels on SA/BF weapons and +3 on Shotguns
Slots: -1 / Barrel [Slots -2 if weapon has BF/FA mode]
Concealability: +2/Barrel

Additional Rules
Break-Action weapons gains +1 Ammunition per barrel. Add+1 damage per barrel if choosing to fire more than one barrel at once.
-SA Weapons gains Short Burst / BF depending on amount of barrels
-BF/FA weapons add +1 damage when using BF/FA per extra barrel
-FA/BF weapons multiply their firepower by X barrels but also do the same with their recoil. Also, supermachineguns will run out of ammo fast – I leave it to the GM to moderate gunbunnies…

Enlarged Cylinder
The enlarged Cylinder improves a revolvers capacity with +50%.
Slots: -2
Cost: 1000
Bullets: +50%
Concealability: +2

Weapon Example

The Mob Enforcer (Elephant Rifle)
The rifle is a short, ugly and a brutal affair. Base on real life triple barrelled shotgun with a sawn off barrel and removed stock with a sensitive trigger.

[1] Fire Selection Change
[1] Additional Barrel X1
[1] Barrel Reduction
[1] Removed Stock
[1] Melee Hardening
[1] Skin Link
Tanegar
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Mar 13 2012, 07:53 AM) *
Enlarged Cylinder
The enlarged Cylinder improves a revolvers capacity with +50%.
Slots: -2
Cost: 1000
Bullets: +50%
Concealability: +2

There's already a mod that increases the capacity of a revolver. "Increased Cylinder," Arsenal, p. 152, "raises the ammo capacity of a cylinder from 6 to 8." That kind of leaves the Cavalier Deputy in an odd sort of limbo, but meh. I wouldn't let your version in unless it cost at least 3 slots, either. A cylinder big enough to offer a 50% increase in capacity would require serious modification of the frame, not just the timing mechanism.
Yerameyahu
One mod slot for a whole new barrel? smile.gif

A friend sent me a link about this pistol yesterday, so I knew it'd show up here soon! Hehe. It certainly seems like a novelty, as OP said. If you did this in SR4, wouldn't the Sakura Fubuki's 'Metal Storm' mechanism be better?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 13 2012, 05:40 PM) *
There's already a mod that increases the capacity of a revolver. "Increased Cylinder," Arsenal, p. 152, "raises the ammo capacity of a cylinder from 6 to 8." That kind of leaves the Cavalier Deputy in an odd sort of limbo, but meh. I wouldn't let your version in unless it cost at least 3 slots, either. A cylinder big enough to offer a 50% increase in capacity would require serious modification of the frame, not just the timing mechanism.

+50% of a revolvers ammunition is +3 or a total of 9 bullets.

This one would indeed function with Increased Cylinder to give a total of 12 bullets (6+2)+50%. And yes, it DOES require a serious modification to the frame, that's why it costs 2 slots intead of the increased cylinders 1 slot cost. The only problem I see is that the modifications name should be a bit more spiffy.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 13 2012, 06:00 PM) *

A friend sent me a link about this pistol yesterday, so I knew it'd show up here soon! Hehe. It certainly seems like a novelty, as OP said. If you did this in SR4, wouldn't the Sakura Fubuki's 'Metal Storm' mechanism be better?

Well, that is the metalstorm tech and we could probably remake that to several guns by adding barrels, give it electronic firing and then change loading mode to [b] as in barrel (not Break Action in this case).

Besides, having twin barrels beside each others looks...clunky, wouldn't it be better to have them above/below each other?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 13 2012, 06:00 PM) *

Well, not THAT much internal modifications are needed, more external work as you add a barrel that affects concealability as well. Check the links, adding a barrel to a hunting rifle isnt too much work - perhaps one should have it take additional (2) slots when you add it to weapons with SA/BF/FA and that they have clips since the loading mechanism is so different from a Break Action rifle.

This might also limit the full auto X3 barrel insanity...
Yerameyahu
Yeah, that was my thinking. It's not just a barrel, it's a fair bit of mechanism.
snowRaven
You basically need an extra barrel, extra trigger, and extra clip...3 mod slots?
Yerameyahu
More like modified trigger and clip, but yeah. If anything is an extensive modification, this is.
The Jopp
I just realized that any (b) loaded weapons automatically gets 1 or 2 extra barrels if you choose "Additional Clip" modification. I cannot find any other reasonable solution as they cannot 'switch' between clips or have any other storage place for the ammunition than the barrel of the gun.

1: Barrel loaded weapons plug their bullets directly into the firing barrel - they have no other place to store ammo
2: Since they double ammunition they must in that case gain one barrel extra per bullet.
3: Sakura fubuki (4 barrels) would end up with 7 barrels (+75%) since it is barrel loaded. It could be argued that the barrel length is increased on that weapon due to loading mechanism.

This would only work on (b) loaded weapons and is fairly expensive at twice weapon cost (elephant rifle would cost 12K with it).

Still, the Elephant Rifle would then (reasonably) be able to fire all four barrels at once with a +3P / AP-1, a fairly powerful hunting rifle for paranormal hunters who could probably modify such a beast into the 20K range.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 13 2012, 10:21 PM) *
More like modified trigger and clip, but yeah. If anything is an extensive modification, this is.

Yea, any weapon with a modern loading mechanism (not break-action) should cost -3 slots due to the ability to fire automatic fire through triple barrels. They essentially become miniature gatling guns. Sure, it's -6 with 3 barrels but with a weapon that ALREADY might have smartlink, recoil comp and FA mode it's rather balanced.
Yerameyahu
The Jopp, guns without clips can't *get* Additional Clip. The description says it takes you from 1 clip to 2. smile.gif

Nothing wrong with houseruling in 'equivalent' mods, but there's no reason to borrow trouble from the RAW.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 15 2012, 04:32 PM) *
The Jopp, guns without clips can't *get* Additional Clip. The description says it takes you from 1 clip to 2. smile.gif

Nothing wrong with houseruling in 'equivalent' mods, but there's no reason to borrow trouble from the RAW.

That should teach me to work at work and not post stuff while trying to remember some half-remembered rule form a book grinbig.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 15 2012, 04:32 PM) *

I just realized that this open up another can of worm.

Weapons with Magazines (M) or Drum (D) can never do that either then. The MG36 of today have the following options:
Magazine
Drum
Twin-Drum

The same goes for Extended Clip that also is restricted to Clip loaded weapons.

I think they've managed to warp the wording a bit to restrictive.

Im not trying to troll but I dont think that is what they meant. But I can see a problem with a revolver using twin cylinders...On the other hand...
CROTCHREVOLVER
Yerameyahu
I agree. Like I said, you can houserule in equivalents… when appropriate. biggrin.gif I prefer to assume it's an intended balance restriction, but whatever works at your table, of course.

Is that a double drum, or actually 2 separate drums? Additional Clip gives you two independent ammo sources, so I can see it being a little complicated and restricted. And possibly they figured you didn't need more than a drum. smile.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 15 2012, 07:11 PM) *
And possibly they figured you didn't need more than a drum. smile.gif

Never underestimate the (perceived) need of a gunbunny ^__^
snowRaven
The gun-bunny may not even be aware of his need until someone or something proposes the idea to him...
CanRay
If you need more than two drums, just link a WHOLE lot of belts together.

"What the hell is THAT?" "Oh, I call it the Battle Pack. Been saving it for a few years just in case of a situation like this." "And what's in it?" "Ammo. 10,000 rounds of ball ammo with intermixed tracers for my HMG, and a feed system that keeps the belts from kinking." "Why the hell did you have this?" "Figured it was a good idea and I had a weekend free."
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 15 2012, 08:55 PM) *
If you need more than two drums, just link a WHOLE lot of belts together.

"What the hell is THAT?" "Oh, I call it the Battle Pack. Been saving it for a few years just in case of a situation like this." "And what's in it?" "Ammo. 10,000 rounds of ball ammo with intermixed tracers for my HMG, and a feed system that keeps the belts from kinking." "Why the hell did you have this?" "Figured it was a good idea and I had a weekend free."

I love it when situations like that occur.

I've used either additional clip or underbarrel weapon mod (depending on the situation) at my table as an analog for additional barrels for breach loaded weapons like the yamato (?) [single shot 7P Pistol from arsenal] and other weapons. I havn't really seen any balance issues since ammo is still going to be a limiting factor, and reloading a breach weapon is still slower than smarklinked "clip" fed weapons.
Yerameyahu
The Hatamoto, and it's not breech/break-loading. It's internal magazine. I don't disagree with your point, though: internal mags are also slower to load, and Additional 'Clip' is 2 slots, 20 Avail, and doubles the weapon cost… seems fair.

The main issue is that it's safer for the GM to approve these on a case-by-case basis.
ZeroPoint
Agreed, but I do that for everything, even if its by the books RAW.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Mar 15 2012, 05:50 PM) *
I just realized that this open up another can of worm.

Weapons with Magazines (M) or Drum (D) can never do that either then. The MG36 of today have the following options:
Magazine
Drum
Twin-Drum

I think you may be confusing the SR definition of Clip with the RL definition of Clip (yea, it is a old standing "issue". Blame Hollywood).

SR (M) is internal (M)agazine, The kind found on most hunting rifles and similar. (SR4A p324)

As for (D)rum, that is already covered by the extended clip mod. It got a variant for 2 mod points that provides a drum option for SMG and assault rifle, that holds either 50 or 100 rounds depending on how "concealable" the user wants it to be (+2 dice for the spotter pr 50 rounds, meaning a assault rifle with a 100 round drum provides +10 dice). (Arsenal p150)
Yerameyahu
I think he meant natively Drum guns can't get 'Additional Drum' (not Extended, though they can't get that either—100 is enough!). It *is* important to keep track, though: 'box magazine' is 'clip'.
Snow_Fox
I can't begin to tell you how wrong this is. For starters the grip is so thick you'll have trouble getting you hand around it and if you can't hold it firmly the kick will be even more prononuced. There's no way you can fire that with any hope of accuracy. the bullets would not discharge simultaniously, one will always be a little slower and the discharge of the earlier shot will throw off the 2nd.
Yerameyahu
… So? biggrin.gif Especially in SR. That's a 2-round burst, causes recoil, etc.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 17 2012, 03:55 AM) *
I can't begin to tell you how wrong this is. For starters the grip is so thick you'll have trouble getting you hand around it and if you can't hold it firmly the kick will be even more prononuced. There's no way you can fire that with any hope of accuracy. the bullets would not discharge simultaniously, one will always be a little slower and the discharge of the earlier shot will throw off the 2nd.

Yea, that tin-barrel pistol looks just wonky. If they had made some loading mechanism for getting an under/over barrel design then it might at least have been comfortable.
Medicineman
There's no way you can fire that with any hope of accuracy. the bullets would not discharge simultaniously, one will always be a little slower and the discharge of the earlier shot will throw off the 2nd.

that Prob can be solved with Smartlink and/or electrical discharge
and the Big Grip is ideal for Orks (I still imagine the Ork Gang Leader with a pimped AF2011 maybe renamed AF2071)

with a pimped Dance
Medicienman
Halinn
Just found this article.
CanRay
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Mar 17 2012, 05:46 AM) *
that Prob can be solved with Smartlink and/or electrical discharge
and the Big Grip is ideal for Orks (I still imagine the Ork Gang Leader with a pimped AF2011 maybe renamed AF2071)

with a pimped Dance
Medicienman
Not every human has small hands.
EKBT81
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Mar 17 2012, 11:46 AM) *
and the Big Grip is ideal for Orks

It's not just the pure width, it's (perhaps more importantly) the blocky shape that makes it unergonomic. On average orks may have less issues with the gun's width than norms, but ideal? I doubt that. (And I don't see Shadowrun orks having that much bigger hands than norms. They are still metahumans. But I guess that's up to how we prefer our individual SR settings.)

Even ergonomics aside, I think it's still more of a novelty or conversation piece. Since you fire two bullets at the same time you still can shoot only 8 times, but have to carry about twice the weight of a standard 1911.

And I don't believe that statement:

The stopping power of the AF2011-A1 is tremendous: 2 bullets for a total of 460 Grains weight impacting at 1 to 2 inches apart (depending on the distance of the target) will knock down a bull...

Handguns aren't guaranteed stoppers on humans, and they talk about knocking down a bull?
CanRay
QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Mar 19 2012, 12:14 PM) *
Handguns aren't guaranteed stoppers on humans...
Maybe not, but I'm sure that two .45 ACP rounds will make most non-drugged to the gills/combat mad people sit down and rethink their life at the very least. nyahnyah.gif
Critias
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 19 2012, 02:11 PM) *
Maybe not, but I'm sure that two .45 ACP rounds will make most non-drugged to the gills/combat mad people sit down and rethink their life at the very least. nyahnyah.gif

Yes, but you know enough about guns IRL to know they still don't "knock down" much of anyone or anything (much less a bull). It ain't Hollywood, where getting shot sends someone flying off their feet backwards.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 19 2012, 02:24 PM) *
Yes, but you know enough about guns IRL to know they still don't "knock down" much of anyone or anything (much less a bull). It ain't Hollywood, where getting shot sends someone flying off their feet backwards.

Heheh....sandbag shotguns....(and from experiance....yeah, they hurt and "nonlethal" does not mean "nonhurty")
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 19 2012, 02:24 PM) *
I didn't say knock down. I meant sit down, stare at the holes they didn't have before, and rethink their life. nyahnyah.gif
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 19 2012, 05:28 PM) *
I didn't say knock down. I meant sit down, stare at the holes they didn't have before, and rethink their life. nyahnyah.gif

yeah....and now i just see a huge troll staring dumbly down at his chest and trying to put his finger in the 50 calibur hole to stem the bloodflow....ROFL
Yerameyahu
What I like about it is that it's very SR. The game is much too clean and sensible these days. Get a little mohawk.

I dunno if a general mod is necessary, nor going much above 2 barrels, but it's still just good fun.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2012, 12:27 AM) *
What I like about it is that it's very SR. The game is much too clean and sensible these days. Get a little mohawk.

I dunno if a general mod is necessary, nor going much above 2 barrels, but it's still just good fun.

I couldn't agree more!
CanRay
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 19 2012, 06:27 PM) *
The game is much too clean and sensible these days. Get a little mohawk.
Working on it.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2012, 12:27 AM) *

Well, I think the mods that exists can be used with a little sensibility. Ruleswise I'd limit extra barrels to SS and SA weapons to avoid headache during firefights.
Yerameyahu
Sure, The Jopp. I could've phrased it better: I think a gun or two like this are good additions, even if you *don't* add the general mod. smile.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 19 2012, 06:27 PM) *

You haven't been run through any of my Missions adventures, huh? grinbig.gif
Yerameyahu
Heh, I don't think I've done a pre-set adventure in any RPG. Ooh, I lie: did some WLD once. smile.gif But I'm talking about the gear and tech in SR4, and the way people seem to feel pushed into mirrorshades.
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 20 2012, 02:19 PM) *
You haven't been run through any of my Missions adventures, huh? grinbig.gif
Not yet.
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2012, 03:07 PM) *
Heh, I don't think I've done a pre-set adventure in any RPG. Ooh, I lie: did some WLD once. smile.gif But I'm talking about the gear and tech in SR4, and the way people seem to feel pushed into mirrorshades.
You can have Pink Mohawks and wear Mirrorshades. nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
Hehe. Ice Cold Pros, then, constantly worrying about counter-counter-countersurveillance, chemseal, Faraday underpants, and spraying C-Squared everywhere. All while wielding the most efficient firearms, which shockingly all end up identical. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2012, 07:11 PM) *
Hehe. Ice Cold Pros, then, constantly worrying about counter-counter-countersurveillance, chemseal, Faraday underpants, and spraying C-Squared everywhere. All while wielding the most efficient firearms, which shockingly all end up identical. smile.gif

Do you remember that Burn Notice episode where Mike and the Gang need to run a carjacking gang out of town and one of the ways they crank the intimidation factor up is to all put on identical suits and shades and carry the same gun? (Except for Chuck/Sam, of course, he got a shotgun, but someone has to be the Heavy.)

That could actually be pretty damn cool. I imagine it's worth some kind of bonus on intimidation checks and to impressing Misters and Missuses Johnson: "We are professionals and we know how to handle things."

[e]And just because everyone has the same efficient gun doesn't mean it's boring. If they all have the same gun, have an NPC ask them about it. Why did they all pick the same gun? Make them answer in-character: not just because it has a magic feature that doesn't cost expansion slots that they wanted, thus maximizing the number of mods they can put into it. Get them talking about handling and grip and recoil and shot groupings and such.
Yerameyahu
But still. smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 21 2012, 03:20 AM) *
Do you remember that Burn Notice episode where Mike and the Gang need to run a carjacking gang out of town and one of the ways they crank the intimidation factor up is to all put on identical suits and shades and carry the same gun? (Except for Chuck/Sam, of course, he got a shotgun, but someone has to be the Heavy.)

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 21 2012, 04:27 AM) *
But still. smile.gif

Just make the suits purple, and the gun this one (except for the troll, who should have the 4-barrelled derringer from the other thread) - both sides are satisfied! grinbig.gif
KarmaInferno
Uniforms work for crime syndicates too.

smile.gif

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012