Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer Geas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RdMarquis
Is there any equivalent of a Geas for a technomancer? Or any way to simulate one? It's just an idea I was toying with the other day.
bibliophile20
An idea I've been toying with as well. I personally don't see a reason you couldn't do the same sort of mechanic for the same sort of reasonings--i.e. a mental crutch to help deal with and accept a power beyond the ken of mundane life--but you'd have to do it carefully, and make it fit. Just like with mages, it shouldn't be "for more powah!" but for character reasons. And it certainly could make for interesting stories (someone's Talisman--an old, archaic, obsolete p-sec--got stolen, and now he wants help finding it again, for example).

As for the geas types from SM:
Condition: Possibilities could also include things like VR- or AR-only access.
Fasting: It would need to be addressed if IV saline and nutrition qualify as nourishment for the standards of the geas.
Gesture: Tricky, due to VR requirements. Perhaps a hybrid of "only works in AR, and you need to make the gestures"
Incantation: Similar to Gesture, difficult to deal with properly in VR.
Location: Very tricky to handle, but could be interesting when done well. However, due to the existence of spam, static and dead zones, this could be problematic to combine.
Mentor: Doesn't work at all; the Paragons have such different areas of focus--and, unlike magic, you need a diverse array of Complex Forms to be able to function at all in the Matrix--that this simply isn't practical.
Ritual: Heheh... lots of options there.
Talisman: Okay, raise your hand if you know a computer geek who has some kind of lucky charm or something like that IRL. *raises hand*
Time: Could be interesting if done well.
RdMarquis
Sounds good. Though, perhaps it'd be better to either make Incantation and Gesture part of Ritual. Maybe one you have to do more often, and lasts a shorter period of time? For example, a PC has to do a dance routine for ten minutes every eight hours to maintain his powers.

Otherwise...this may sound bizarre, but perhaps for VR, the technomancer could lapse into some sort of "trance" in which they are constantly making some gesture or saying something until they jack out. It'd make the quality even more of a hindrance though, especially when you want to be stealthy. Assuming such a "trance" is even physically possible. Personally, I'd say an IV wouldn't be allowed, since the whole point of one is to replace what you get by eating and drinking.
snowRaven
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Mar 14 2012, 05:11 PM) *
An idea I've been toying with as well. I personally don't see a reason you couldn't do the same sort of mechanic for the same sort of reasonings--i.e. a mental crutch to help deal with and accept a power beyond the ken of mundane life--but you'd have to do it carefully, and make it fit. Just like with mages, it shouldn't be "for more powah!" but for character reasons. And it certainly could make for interesting stories (someone's Talisman--an old, archaic, obsolete p-sec--got stolen, and now he wants help finding it again, for example).

As for the geas types from SM:
Condition: Possibilities could also include things like VR- or AR-only access.
Fasting: It would need to be addressed if IV saline and nutrition qualify as nourishment for the standards of the geas.
Gesture: Tricky, due to VR requirements. Perhaps a hybrid of "only works in AR, and you need to make the gestures"
Incantation: Similar to Gesture, difficult to deal with properly in VR.
Location: Very tricky to handle, but could be interesting when done well. However, due to the existence of spam, static and dead zones, this could be problematic to combine.
Mentor: Doesn't work at all; the Paragons have such different areas of focus--and, unlike magic, you need a diverse array of Complex Forms to be able to function at all in the Matrix--that this simply isn't practical.
Ritual: Heheh... lots of options there.
Talisman: Okay, raise your hand if you know a computer geek who has some kind of lucky charm or something like that IRL. *raises hand*
Time: Could be interesting if done well.

Yeah, most geasa can be used 'as is' - just change the fluff to something approperiate for a technomancer. Incantation and Gesture are probably best left alone, though.
Makki
Condition (in birthday suit)
Location (no daylight)
VR-Incantation (must spam)
bibliophile20
Condition for either Black Hat or Shooter Paragon-followers:
No bathing. Breaking the geas means that Resonance drops by 1 for 24 hours after any sort of personal hygiene.

... I'm a terrible person. grinbig.gif (but we've all met people like this)
snowRaven
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Mar 15 2012, 09:36 PM) *

...too many, sadly!
Yerameyahu
Haha, Makki: Largo-san!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:36 PM) *
Condition for either Black Hat or Shooter Paragon-followers:
No bathing. Breaking the geas means that Resonance drops by 1 for 24 hours after any sort of personal hygiene.

They should lose access to Resonance completely for 24 hours, not just 1 point worth. smile.gif
Of course, I am a big proponent for geasing your entire Magical/Resonance abilities.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 15 2012, 10:45 PM) *
Of course, I am a big proponent for geasing your entire Magical/Resonance abilities.

No argument there.
RdMarquis
Agreed. I was hoping there was a way to represent, for example, that a technomancer couldn't use her powers with her glasses on.
snowRaven
QUOTE (RdMarquis @ Mar 15 2012, 11:49 PM) *
Agreed. I was hoping there was a way to represent, for example, that a technomancer couldn't use her powers with her glasses on.

Talisman.

sorry, mis-read that: Condition would be the one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012