Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CAS setting info?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
thenightaflame
So, I'm fairly new to SR gaming, but have more or less kept up with the books at the like for quite a while as I'm a fan of cyberpunk in general.

I want to run a campaign set in the Confederate American States, but have found very little information about the setting. I'm not averse to building up such on my own, but I don't want to remake the wheel if there's already something out there I've not found. The best source I've found is the old Neoanarchist Guide to North America, but even that is ridiculously general and only really gives a scant overview and info for the Atlanta metroplex. There is a bit on the SR wiki, but I'm not a fan of that at all.

Thanks.
Warlordtheft
Another good source is the shadows of north america and there is also a bit piece (a general overview) in the Sixth World Almanac. For Atlanta, you best source is the NEO A guide, neither of the other two books mentione goes into that great of detail in regards to Atlanta.

None of the newer books cover much in regards to the CAS. WHich is a shame, given the place they play in 6th world events.
thenightaflame
Thanks, and awesome, I can get both for decently cheap at Amazon.

I think it's a fairly big shame for mostly personal reasons: I live in the South and would generally just like to see more of their vision of the South in the 6th world, but at the same time I know it's just not as "sexy" of a local as the more heavily populated areas of the country. I also do kind of feel that there should be a fairly strong Native American influence as well, especially with the history of the Creeks and Seminoles (among other tribes that were present) with a very strong hint of revenge for the Trail of Tears...but mostly it's just for that "hey I know that place" feeling you get when some place you know shows up in fiction of some kind.
thorya
I feel your pain. I'm running a game set in Atlanta right now too (it's where my groups at, so it's easy to explain geography things) and I couldn't get any good current resources for CAS either. I ended up just having to build most of it myself, along with Savannah and other southern Cities.
KeyMasterOfGozer
I don't suppose you guys would be willing to share some of the work you have done yourselves in the CAS area? Maybe we could setup a location to share?
thenightaflame
I haven't really gotten started putting much stuff together yet (I'm about a month out from it being my turn to GM), but I'm definitely game for sharing what I do come up with after I see what the source books I've not had the chance to read say about it (I tend to avoid breaking canon in building my settings if possible). This shouldn't be too long of a wait as I've already ordered the recommended books and have them on next day shipping (which probably means they won't show till Monday or so, but even at that, I'll jump in quickly).

As for the where to share, would there be anything wrong with using here (so long as it's kept to a single thread or so) or possibly jumping on the SR wiki with it--but I figure that would probably be best for whatever the "final" result may be. Hrm...other options...a google group maybe? Too bad Wave doesn't still exist, it was perfect for stuff like this.
Patrick Goodman
I am working on getting CAS stuff in there as I can. The follow-up to Another Rainy Night (very tentatively called After Midnight) takes place at least in part in Houston and Dallas. However, you'll probably get as much about those cities as you did about Denver in ARN: People live there, and there's at least one diner in each. That said, I'll do what I can.
thenightaflame
Very cool, and it makes me glad to hear a freelancer (apologies if you're currently more than that) likes the idea of bringing a little more light to the CAS. I always thought it would be a neat area to explore in cyberpunk settings--there's just a lot of pretty crazy history down here that seems ripe for the picking, and then the just the idea of some crazy self-styled "Colonel" in his white suit, sitting back on the porch of his antebellum manse, sipping a mint julep to ward off the high heat of summer refusing to adapt to this new world in his ruthlessly deterministic way...

But I'll still be happy with most whatever I do manage to get that's actual canon.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (thenightaflame @ Mar 15 2012, 04:52 PM) *
Very cool, and it makes me glad to hear a freelancer (apologies if you're currently more than that) likes the idea of bringing a little more light to the CAS. I always thought it would be a neat area to explore in cyberpunk settings--there's just a lot of pretty crazy history down here that seems ripe for the picking, and then the just the idea of some crazy self-styled "Colonel" in his white suit, sitting back on the porch of his antebellum manse, sipping a mint julep to ward off the high heat of summer refusing to adapt to this new world in his ruthlessly deterministic way...

But I'll still be happy with most whatever I do manage to get that's actual canon.

Oh yeah..i can see it now...make him an Adept with all the social powers...lol...oh, and knowledge skills in fried foods of course...
thenightaflame
He's actually going to be my first Johnson. Pure old money that can retreat away from the rest of the world and insulate himself from what he sees as the world reaping the results of being too heathen for too long...well until his daughter gets kidnapped from her cotillion. I'll say no more in the off chance that someone else in my group may read these forums.
snowRaven
QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ Mar 15 2012, 11:23 PM) *
Oh yeah..i can see it now...make him an Adept with all the social powers...lol...oh, and knowledge skills in fried foods of course...

No, no, no...he'as a mage with a special combat spell: 'Batter and Fry' with the new Elemental effects 'Spices' and 'Oil'
snowRaven
If I rememer correctly, there's a bunch of out-of-date info on the CAS in the old Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America, but I don't think you can find that one easily...
thenightaflame
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 15 2012, 05:44 PM) *
No, no, no...he'as a mage with a special combat spell: 'Batter and Fry' with the new Elemental effects 'Spices' and 'Oil'

Spices will, of course, have 11 different effects...although I don't know if he needs oil, we already have toxic...
ravensmuse
Shadows of North America is probably up there as one of my favorite Shadowrun books ever. It's great for an overview of North America, but gives enough detail to run where you want. Lots of great shadow talk too.

The theme of the CAS in the 2060 era was about revolution; about bringing back the spirit of the good ol USA and everything it stood for. Racism, not so much, but of course it's there. There's a lot of passion and excitement running through the whole chapter, which is infectious.

I'm not a giant fan of the Neo-A write-up, but that's because I'm not a fan of the Neo-A movement in general. It's a whole lot of dumb 80s hustle and bustle over nothing.

And if you want to complain about sections of North America not getting much attention, let's talk Boston...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Mar 15 2012, 03:55 PM) *
And if you want to complain about sections of North America not getting much attention, let's talk Boston...

Where is Boston exactly? I am pretty sure that I have heard of it, but it must not be all that important, because I don't remember anything about it... smile.gif
thorya
QUOTE (KeyMasterOfGozer @ Mar 15 2012, 02:40 PM) *
I don't suppose you guys would be willing to share some of the work you have done yourselves in the CAS area? Maybe we could setup a location to share?

I'll see what I can do if you're interested. I'll put up some links. Right now it's a bunch of scattered GM's notes and I need to organize it all.
Grinder
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Mar 15 2012, 11:55 PM) *

Well, Target: UCAS has a large chapter dedicated to Boston, so you have at least some info on it.
phlapjack77
Not sure how much this helps, but there was a PBP game here on DS set in Alabama, you could mine it for information and ideas:
T-Town
thenightaflame
Very awesome. Thanks a lot...although looking through it has reminded me why I never got into play by post--just hard for me to follow for some reason (I think the same is true of reading plays, but that's probably just my malfunction).
Bearclaw
I would REALLY like to see something about occupied Texas. I mean really. A bunch of "Aztlaners" have moved all the way up to Austin? And Austin is occupied? And the rest of Texas is ignoring it? Have you met these people?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Mar 16 2012, 12:17 PM) *
I would REALLY like to see something about occupied Texas. I mean really. A bunch of "Aztlaners" have moved all the way up to Austin? And Austin is occupied? And the rest of Texas is ignoring it? Have you met these people?

Us Texans are a might proud of our State... Even when we are forced to move away... smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
Not everyone's sitting on their hands about it. There are a lot of us on the boards who want to do something with Texas. As a freelancer, I invented the Azziewatch data haven (still around, though I haven't had the opportunity to do much with it over the last few years...this is in the process of changing), which is home to a lot of folks none too happy with the current state of affairs. I also introduced the Sons of the Alamo, a policlub (on the surface)/terrorist organization (under the surface). They're also in the process of getting used more by me.

Both were introduced in Target: Matrix. The SOA has seen a lot more mention here and there, but there's still not the detail about them that I'd like to have. If I had more writing time, I'd be working on some of their stuff alongside the vampire stuff, but I've got a very finite amount of time I can devote to this stuff and away from my wife and kids.

For those that care, Azziewatch survived Crash 2.0, though some of their personnel did not. If anybody wants to know who did and didn't, just ask.
Magus
CyberPirates also has a bit on the CAS well parts of Florida that joined the Carib League.
Critias
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Mar 16 2012, 01:17 PM) *

I did what I could in Spy Games. I don't think Jason would've let me sneak in an off-handed Jackpointer comment of "Oh, btw, they also pushed the border back to the Rio Grande" or something. wink.gif
Nath
On the other hand, having the Texan win in a single sentence only because victory rightfully belong to their people would be the surest way to remove any reason for the area to be given attention in any future sourcebooks. RPG is about telling stories as they happen, not after the facts.

There should have been more things happening in Texas in SR. But I sometimes get the impression the Texan crowd don't want things to happen in Texas. They just want Texas to win.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 18 2012, 07:36 AM) *
There should have been more things happening in Texas in SR. But I sometimes get the impression the Texan crowd don't want things to happen in Texas. They just want Texas to win.

To a certain extent, that's true. I've met a lot of Texan fans that feel that way. They just want a retcon.

I'm not one of those.

I remember back in the day at FASA sending Mike Mulvihill a document called "Line in the Sand," which outlined what would have been about a two-year arc of stuff happening in Texas, resulting in some lost territory being restored and the Sons of the Alamo being more than a footnote. He seemed interested in talking about how to start implementing some of it...and then Mort shuttered FASA.

Rob wasn't too interested in it, as I recall, but I did send a copy to him for consideration.,,and the FanPro troubles soon began.

I've been hesitant about sending it to Jason. The sad thing is, most of it could still work in the current storyline....
snowRaven
With all the Aztechnology stuff going on, I'd say at least talk to him about it.
Critias
QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 18 2012, 07:36 AM) *
On the other hand, having the Texan win in a single sentence only because victory rightfully belong to their people would be the surest way to remove any reason for the area to be given attention in any future sourcebooks. RPG is about telling stories as they happen, not after the facts.

Well, yeah. Which is why what I said is what we call "a joke." wink.gif

I know the reason I, personally, haven't really pushed at Jason or anyone to let me write more about the CAS/Azzie border war is because...well...it's a full-on border war. It's bigger stuff than I like in my own personal Shadowrun games, it's more militant than I think your average campaign is built to handle, and it's the sort of thing I think I would have trouble selling to the average GM. I know we've got War! and a handful of gear books that are all full of attack helicopters and tanks and stuff like that...but to me, that's outside the scope of what's likely to come up in your average game. I want the things I write to be things people not only enjoy reading, but can actually use in their campaign.

If I let the military historian in me out and write a detailed piece about how this armored unit and that armored unit and this air assault badass commando team and that artillery company all get together and stomp hell out of the Azzies, who respond with this infantry brigade and this armored squad and this horde of Blood spirits...well, that's all well and good, but the trick of it is (a) somehow wedging a group of PCs into the middle of all that without them dying outright, and (b) somehow making it feel like the insertion of that group of PCs is what really matters, not the twenty hojillion dudes with supported by tanks and Thor shots and attack helicopters and stuff. And, what's more, it requires © doing so based on the assumption that the PCs aren't from there in the first place, because the overwhelming majority of campaigns aren't set in this area, so I couldn't even write it with a "local knowledge/guerrilla warfare" slant.

So, yeah. I'd dig it if stuff happened in Texas. There is stuff happening in Texas, in fact, that I know about. But it's the sort of thing that would be tough to write and make useful for your average Shadowrun game, which means some folks would love to see it, most folks would regard it as wasted page count and money, and it's a hard sell to The Powers That Be, who would obviously prefer we work on things that would appeal to a broader audience.
thenightaflame
Random additional question now that it seems the Texans are done playing (hey, did you know that there is no such thing as a law that states your state flag is to be flown at the same level as the US flag, and if we cut Alaska in half, Texas would be the third largest state nyahnyah.gif Sorry, Texans are fun to pick at.)

Anyway, what's the best source to find out what happened to X or Y company. I realize that there's no way that every company's future has been mapped out in the 6th World, but specifically, I'm looking for Shell Oil and Chevron. Also, is there any supplement that deals in any way with mining (specifically equipment)?

Thanks.
Nath
QUOTE (thenightaflame @ Mar 18 2012, 06:56 PM) *
Anyway, what's the best source to find out what happened to X or Y company. I realize that there's no way that every company's future has been mapped out in the 6th World, but specifically, I'm looking for Shell Oil and Chevron.
For 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions, you may take a look at my old Corporate Index. According to Shadows of Europe, Shell was involved in the formation of Royal Dutch Joint Enterprises (now Regulus Joint Industries) but it's not clear what Shell assets has become. California Free State had half a page on Chevron.
thenightaflame
Awesome. That'll be amazingly helpful, and the UPS guy just left from delivering the Almanac and Shadows over North America, so it's time to start reading. Wish I had unlimited funds so I could just buy all of the books at once (well, just make that all books)...
Nath
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 18 2012, 02:38 PM) *
I've met a lot of Texan fans that feel that way. They just want a retcon.

An election CAS 2076 platform ? "No to Florida Recount, Yes to Texas Retcon !"
thenightaflame
Since this is probably going to be somewhat of a long-term project for me, I decided to set up a blog where I'll stick stuff I make up for this: here's my first entry:

http://southernshadows.wordpress.com I haven't set up any of the design side yet, so the look will most likely change, but not terribly much because well, I suck at that sort of thing. If anyone else wants to join in with adding material (trying to keep it at a more locoal level to avoid canon conflicts and flesh out areas that aren't really covered in current materials), I can make that happen.

Criticisms and comments welcomed, and to keep you from having to go to an outside link, I'll spoilerize the text:

[ Spoiler ]

The tl:dr, I blew up a bunch of coal mines between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, making building at surface level fairly impossible, and have some random groups living in the remains of the mines with a very little bit on one of the groups.

Edit: proofread damnit, proofread.
snowRaven
QUOTE (thenightaflame @ Mar 20 2012, 05:47 AM) *
The tl:dr, I blew up a bunch of coal mines between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, making building at surface level fairly impossible, and have some random groups living in the remains of the mines with a very little bit on one of the groups.

I like it.

I think there's a bunch of potential in a setting like that--it's like a toxic zone, but not quite. Could possibly give rise to some methane-dependent awakened creature, a local avenger toxic shaman, a ghost or two...

Runners can be sent in to retrieve someone who's hiding in the tunnels, or to gather reagents (or samples for BAD-making) in the form of awakened methane-eating fungi, or to find some family heirloom in the wreckage of an old home.
thenightaflame
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 20 2012, 05:45 AM) *
I like it.

I think there's a bunch of potential in a setting like that--it's like a toxic zone, but not quite. Could possibly give rise to some methane-dependent awakened creature, a local avenger toxic shaman, a ghost or two...

Runners can be sent in to retrieve someone who's hiding in the tunnels, or to gather reagents (or samples for BAD-making) in the form of awakened methane-eating fungi, or to find some family heirloom in the wreckage of an old home.

Thanks, if you don't mind I might happily run with some of that stuff.

I added some more and cleaned up that grammatical trainwreck that was in the other post. This one is written a little dryly, but what it is what it is.
[ Spoiler ]

tl;dr: I did a writeup not just for kudzu, but for an awakened variety of kudzu. At some point, I'm going to have to sit down and come up with the crunch for this, but the way I envision it, in muddled definitely not polished fashion:
[ Spoiler ]
snowRaven
QUOTE (thenightaflame @ Mar 21 2012, 02:04 AM) *
Thanks, if you don't mind I might happily run with some of that stuff.

Feel free! smile.gif

Yeah, the crunch of that kudzu needs polishing...but I think it can turn out good.
Bigity
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Mar 16 2012, 12:17 PM) *

I've always felt this way, in any edition. Probably because I lived in San Angelo for over a decade and it's a border town in Shadowrun. Good place to enter Aztlan for some shadow work.
CanRay
I think that says more about how powerful Mexico/Aztlan has become rather than how "passive" Texans are.
Bigity
That never stopped us before biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012