Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick encounter.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kolinho
Alright then.

I'm GMing a campaign that kicks off this week, but my group want to do a wee job first, just to roll some dice really. Now, while I have plenty of inter-twined runs planned out for the campaign, I really have a lack of quick encounters.

So, anyone out here in Dumpshock got an idea for a quick encounter that will cover plenty bases (magic, matrix and combat)? GMs who have run something they thought was useful? Players who ran something fun?

Cheers in advance,

Kol.
Neraph
Food fight.
Angelone
Food Fight is the best quick encounter ever! So much fun when all the fizzy soggy meats and such go flying around. You might want to bump up the opposition to match your teams level of power other than that it's golden.
Kolinho
Nice, i'd never given that more than a second glance before tbh. Having read it over it looks like fun.

Thanks biggrin.gif

Other ideas welcome, bound to need them at some point nyahnyah.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kolinho @ Mar 17 2012, 08:10 PM) *
Nice, i'd never given that more than a second glance before tbh. Having read it over it looks like fun.

Thanks biggrin.gif

Other ideas welcome, bound to need them at some point nyahnyah.gif

Throw a random hook at them: a squealing distress signal from a semi-trailer truck owned by whatever you want to own it (anything from Stuffer Shack to the military.) They have the option of getting involved, and if they do, the question is what do they do with it.
Kolinho
Ooooh, now that sounds interesting. I like to write my own shit, so that's more up my street. Ideally i'd like it to be the opening credits to the main film, if you will. Guess the van could belong to the Biotech firm the main campaign is based around.

It could contain a clue...

Hmm...

I like you ShadowDragon.
ShadowDragon8685
I said a semi-trailer truck. As in, an 18-wheeler, a big rig, a lorry. smile.gif

Either way, though, expect your players to want to 'jack it for themselves rather than, say, returning it for a 10% salvage fee, like I expected mine to. Now they've got a big rig and want to do something with it...
Kolinho
Van, lorry, truck, car... scooter. I'll make it work biggrin.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kolinho @ Mar 17 2012, 09:36 PM) *
Van, lorry, truck, car... scooter. I'll make it work biggrin.gif

If you make a one-off for Shadowrunners involving a hijacked scooter, I want details. smile.gif
Method
If you decide on Food Fight and need a MAP... well there you go. cyber.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Isn't that the old Stuffer Shack map, not the new one?
Kolinho
Ok, i reckon outside the Runners' hangout (still to be confirmed, but probably a bar) they hear a some gun shots and death screams.

Upon going outside they see a big rig about a block down, streets are deserted bar two bodies of a couple of go-gangers who were trying to jack the rig. They've killed the drivers, who are dead in the cab, and were killed by something they found in the back. The runners will see the back door of the trailer slightly ajar, and in that a crate that's been busted open. The runners should find the delivery manifest, which details the transfer of a specimen 'as requested' with the delivery address of the corp they are due to hit (though they don't know that yet, fixer's going to contact them at some point before they take this too far). Upon leaving the trailer, they will see two deep red eyes staring at them from the alley, approaching.

Followed by, one pair, two pairs, three pairs, no - four pairs of big hairy legs.

Initiative please.

Aye, that should do it

biggrin.gif
Kolinho
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 18 2012, 01:40 AM) *
If you make a one-off for Shadowrunners involving a hijacked scooter, I want details. smile.gif

Haha. I'll get it done, just for you.
Kolinho
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 18 2012, 01:40 AM) *
If you decide on Food Fight and need a MAP... well there you go. cyber.gif

Thanks for that smile.gif

Food Fight does look like fun, I may throw that in at some point. Probably the first time they decide they're hungry.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kolinho @ Mar 17 2012, 08:52 PM) *
Ok, i reckon outside the Runners' hangout (still to be confirmed, but probably a bar) they hear a some gun shots and death screams.

Upon going outside they see a big rig about a block down, streets are deserted bar two bodies of a couple of go-gangers who were trying to jack the rig. They've killed the drivers, who are dead in the cab, and were killed by something they found in the back. The runners will see the back door of the trailer slightly ajar, and in that a crate that's been busted open. The runners should find the delivery manifest, which details the transfer of a specimen 'as requested' with the delivery address of the corp they are due to hit (though they don't know that yet, fixer's going to contact them at some point before they take this too far). Upon leaving the trailer, they will see two deep red eyes staring at them from the alley, approaching.

Followed by, one pair, two pairs, three pairs, no - four pairs of big hairy legs.

Initiative please.

Giant spiders? Yeesh!

I'd climb right the hell in the truck, shut the door and put the hammer down. Fuck that. The rest of the Barrens can deal with it, I'm putting four on the floor.
Kolinho
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 18 2012, 02:28 AM) *
Giant spiders? Yeesh!

I'd climb right the hell in the truck, shut the door and put the hammer down. Fuck that. The rest of the Barrens can deal with it, I'm putting four on the floor.

That's fine, the important clues are the specimen and the manifest. Combat for combat's sake is a sure fire way to get killed.
Method
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Isn't that the old Stuffer Shack map, not the new one?

The old one is HERE, based on the map in SR1.
ShadowDragon8685
Ooooh, I see, I see.

What are you doing with these - taking a Google Earth screenshot or a commercial building, blurring it out some, overlaying a blue grid, then whiting out the building and installing the map within it?
Method
The short answer: yes (basically).

The long answer:
[ Spoiler ]
Gargs454
So really, I think the solution here is to have them start with Food Fight then leave the Shack in time to hear the big rig getting jacked. nyahnyah.gif

Seriously though, as someone who has played through Food Fight a couple of times, I loved it. Was a great intro to our characters. That being said, the big rig sounds awesome too (of course I'm currently playing a rigger so go figure).

Now really what you need to do for the next scenario, to make everyone happy is to have the runners jack a scooter ridden by the giant spider.
Method
I've also seen a few creative twists on the Food Fight over the years. My favorite was a random zombie attack set in a big box hardware store instead of the 'Shack. cyber.gif
Kolinho
QUOTE (Gargs454 @ Mar 18 2012, 02:41 PM) *
So really, I think the solution here is to have them start with Food Fight then leave the Shack in time to hear the big rig getting jacked. nyahnyah.gif

Seriously though, as someone who has played through Food Fight a couple of times, I loved it. Was a great intro to our characters. That being said, the big rig sounds awesome too (of course I'm currently playing a rigger so go figure).

Now really what you need to do for the next scenario, to make everyone happy is to have the runners jack a scooter ridden by the giant spider.

Hahaha,

My wife now thinks I'm mental as I burst out laughing!

Not a terrible idea to mix the Food Fight and Big Rig encounters together tbh. Might give that some thought. Wrote up the Big Rig run just there. If it plays well and I can work out how, I'll see if I can host the file for sharing smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (Kolinho @ Mar 18 2012, 06:47 PM) *
Not a terrible idea to mix the Food Fight and Big Rig encounters together tbh. Might give that some thought. Wrote up the Big Rig run just there. If it plays well and I can work out how, I'll see if I can host the file for sharing smile.gif

Please do! I'm gonna steal that idea for my own campaign regardless though wink.gif
Kolinho
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 18 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Please do! I'm gonna steal that idea for my own campaign regardless though wink.gif

Go for it! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012