Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Weapon Mods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Weapon Bracer
A weapon bracer is essentially a lower arm mounting for a weapon. The bracer include a skin link and mounting brackets for firearms up to LMG

Weapon sizes above SMG halve all ranges due to reduced barrel length to keep concealability.

The mounting is mainly used to keep a soldiers hand free but keeping the weapon ready at all times.

The DNI connection allows the soldier to unfold the weapon with a mental command and open fire within moments.
-Weapon size of SMG or smaller takes 1 Complex Action to activate instead of the usual 2.

The bracer makes an extensive modification to the weapon to allow it to fold into itself to reduce its size.

Includes
Electronic Firing, Powered Easy Breakdown, Skin Link

Base Cost
1000+Electronic Firing+Powered Easy Breakdown

Slots

Accessory Slots Lost
Due to the modification only top mounted accessories can be mounted, barrel and underbarrel mounts are lost.

Concealability Bonus
+2
zephraim
Makes me think of Deadshot's wristguns. I like it.
Yerameyahu
:/ Only 3 slots with free Electronic Firing, to mount an LMG on my arm?
Flowman
Up to LMG seems a little excessive, maybe SMG or Shotgun tops (Unless it's built for either a suit of Milspec Armor or a Troll or something). That and all weapons should have a more limited range with this modification.

Ammunition capacity should probably be cut down considering the constraints of arm mounting. Reloading should also be more difficult.

Base-cost related to the weapon? I'd imagine a pistol would be easier to make into a bracer than larger weapons.

With the extensive modifications it might take up more slots. 3 is the cost of Heavy barrel after all.

Top mounting anything seems like it would throw off the concealability
Yerameyahu
Maybe only pistols, or not even heavy pistols. smile.gif
The Jopp
Hmm, perhaps the size of the weapon would be slot dependant. After all, it is not invisible and a LMG would be highly visible regardless even if it was half the length (barrel is essentially halved).

3 Slots: Up to Heavy Pistol
4 Slots: SMG's Sized
5 Slots: Shotguns/Rifles/A-Rifles/LMG
6 Slots: LMG's

You also have a choise in how you mount the weapon. A pistol or SMG might be mounted with the barrel on top of your arm while a LMG might be more comfortable to have 'underslung' of your arm.

Hmm, the Sakura Fubuki would look very cool with this as the Bracer would have 4 loaded barrels - add an Extra Clip modification and you could say that you have 8 barrels - essentially Black Widows vambraces that could shoot stuff.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Flowman @ Mar 28 2012, 02:45 PM) *
Up to LMG seems a little excessive, maybe SMG or Shotgun tops (Unless it's built for either a suit of Milspec Armor or a Troll or something). That and all weapons should have a more limited range with this modification.

Already included

Ammunition capacity should probably be cut down considering the constraints of arm mounting. Reloading should also be more difficult.

Nope, you only get +2 concealability - Reloading could be more difficult as you can only use one arm. Perhaps Complex action instead of simple.

Base-cost related to the weapon? I'd imagine a pistol would be easier to make into a bracer than larger weapons.

Well, the base mods included have a variable cost so I found it fitting.

Top mounting anything seems like it would throw off the concealability

Well, depends on the weapon, a X12 zoom night vision scope might do this but a smartgunlink would not.
Yerameyahu
Except you can't add extra clip: it doesn't use clips. smile.gif Yes, I realize we're talking about all-bets-are-off already, though.

Have you compared this stuff to the existing arm-slide rules?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 28 2012, 03:17 PM) *
Except you can't add extra clip: it doesn't use clips. smile.gif Yes, I realize we're talking about all-bets-are-off already, though.

Have you compared this stuff to the existing arm-slide rules?

Duh, good point, it uses replacable barrels.

Well, the arm slide allows you to hide a weapon but I do believe you must still hold the weapon, there is nothing fixing the gun to be stable in the gun-arm slide , its more of a auto-draw holster.

Yerameyahu
Right, I just meant applicable similarities (size, etc.).
JonathanC
Pistol/SMG seems reasonable. Strapping a shotgun to your forearm sounds like a hilarious way to find up in the hospital.
Ryu
I like the idea.

- the weapon arm has to carry the weight. Underslung or top-mounted would be best to reduce muscular strain.
- the weapon shouldn´t get too hot, as the user shares quite a bit of surface with it.
- the contraption fixing the weapon to the arm will have to be PRETTY durable. The less recoil that has to be compensated for, the better.

It could work as an application of MetalStorm tech. Reducing the weapons to "a barrel plus a few extras" would reduce weight substantially. The bracer should still go on the arm of the off-hand.
KarmaInferno
I would point out that there is already a wrist gun in Arsenal.

-k
Yerameyahu
This is quite different, though. It's more like a weapon mount (instead of a 1-shot exotic weapon).
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 28 2012, 07:10 PM) *
Right, I just meant applicable similarities (size, etc.).

Actually I hadnt. Well, the gun-arm slide is limited to pistol sized and simply straps it on. The bracer is essentially a complete system of deployable weapon and holder/casing making the entire contraption 'A' weapon and not a weapon attachement that you bolt the weapon to.
The Jopp
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 28 2012, 08:58 PM) *
I would point out that there is already a wrist gun in Arsenal.

-k

Unlike the Tiffany One-Shot bracer from Arsenal this remakes any weapon into a bracer system but without the concealability (The one in arsenal require a perception test to discover) - except of course that the weapon you have made into a bracer takes up slightly less space and gains a bit of concealability as long as you TRY to hide the weapon.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 28 2012, 09:02 PM) *
This is quite different, though. It's more like a weapon mount (instead of a 1-shot exotic weapon).

Yes and no, it remakes the weapon into a unique bracer mounted weapon, but you will not be able to remove the weapon and replace it with another - its easier to buy yourself a new bracer 'kit' and rebuild another weapon.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Ryu @ Mar 28 2012, 07:22 PM) *
I like the idea.

- the weapon arm has to carry the weight. Underslung or top-mounted would be best to reduce muscular strain.
- the weapon shouldn´t get too hot, as the user shares quite a bit of surface with it.
- the contraption fixing the weapon to the arm will have to be PRETTY durable. The less recoil that has to be compensated for, the better.

It could work as an application of MetalStorm tech. Reducing the weapons to "a barrel plus a few extras" would reduce weight substantially. The bracer should still go on the arm of the off-hand.

You are essentially correct.

The underslung version could be something like this:
[img]http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/sm_terminators_autocannon_large.jpg[/img]

And smaller weapons could be something like this:
[img]http://www.cameo-auctioneers.co.uk/2009-02-03/img/488-b.jpg[/img]
The james bond replica dartgun

Or...

[img]http://www.natick.army.mil/about/pao/pubs/warrior/00/janfeb/tightaim.JPG[/img]
A wrist mounted Gyrojet Pistol

Or...
well, you see what i mean. The contraption in itself IS durable but recoil will always be a problem, especially when you have no shoulder to brace against for bigger weapons.

Im thinking of adding double uncompensated recoil since your arm will take the brunt instead of your shoulder from anything above LMG.
Ryu
I was thinking along the lines of the replica dart gun (sizeable up to SMG), with one mount at the wrist and one at the elbow. One way to take up recoil would be putting a forward grip into the users hand. An automated folding grip would keep the hand free most of the time.
Yerameyahu
Right, I meant a permanent mount. smile.gif
Im thinking of adding double uncompensated recoil since your arm will take the brunt instead of your shoulder from anything above LMG.
I'm still having trouble with the very idea of things *above* LMG mounted on your forearm. Is this intentional? What is the motivation for anything bigger than a small SMG/shotgun, at the very most? Trolls, I guess.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 31 2012, 07:08 PM) *
Right, I meant a permanent mount. smile.gif
I'm still having trouble with the very idea of things *above* LMG mounted on your forearm. Is this intentional? What is the motivation for anything bigger than a small SMG/shotgun, at the very most? Trolls, I guess.

No, UP TO lmg. Nothing bigger. Well, I can see military giving a big guy a minigun or a LMG gatling of some sort and the bracer would make it easy to carry. Besides, an LMG could be the todays M60 or M249, give them a shorter barrel and fit them under your arm - they are not THAT big.
Yerameyahu
I think the 249 is an LMG, but the M60's not, but that's beside the point. smile.gif They kinda *are* that big. About the same size as an AR, sure, but I'm saying that anything above SMG might be too big already.

I'm glad to hear that 'above LMG' was a typo, though; that's the main issue!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 1 2012, 12:32 AM) *
I think the 249 is an LMG, but the M60's not, but that's beside the point. smile.gif They kinda *are* that big. About the same size as an AR, sure, but I'm saying that anything above SMG might be too big already.

I'm glad to hear that 'above LMG' was a typo, though; that's the main issue!

Correct...

The M249 SAW is a Light Machine Gun in 5.56 Caliber. weighs about twice (maybe a bit more) than the M16, Unloaded. The 200 round Drum is WAY heavier than 6 Magazines of ammunition.

The M60 is a GPMG (MMG) in 7.62 Caliber. About 3-4 times as heavy as a M16 (IIRC), unloaded. Ludicrous to even contemplate mounting that to a forearm.

Neither is something I would want slung to my arm for carrying purposes, let alone for actually firing. Craziness... smile.gif
I would say that even some SMG's would be pushing the envelope on that.
Yerameyahu
Yeah, earlier I said 'maybe *small* SMGs'. I mean, do what you want, The Jopp; I'm not dumping on your idea. smile.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Neither is something I would want slung to my arm for carrying purposes, let alone for actually firing. Craziness... smile.gif
I would say that even some SMG's would be pushing the envelope on that.

One has to remember that the bracer/vambrace is only for CARRYING the weapon, leaving your hand free while still holding the weapon.

You will still be REQUIRED to use the weapon with two hand to stabilize the weapon - if you dont the GM should gladly describe your very interesting bullet pattern and the double digit recoil you would most likely get.

The bracer is not a magical stabilizing platform, it is to conceal smaller weapons and to make it easier to transport.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 2 2012, 02:30 AM) *
One has to remember that the bracer/vambrace is only for CARRYING the weapon, leaving your hand free while still holding the weapon.

You will still be REQUIRED to use the weapon with two hand to stabilize the weapon - if you dont the GM should gladly describe your very interesting bullet pattern and the double digit recoil you would most likely get.

The bracer is not a magical stabilizing platform, it is to conceal smaller weapons and to make it easier to transport.

In what world is a LMG a smaller weapon, or how does it become magically easier to actually transport via Bracer? I can only guess that you have never actually carried such a weapon IRL. AR's and SMG's have similar Issues.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 2 2012, 07:51 AM) *
how does it become magically easier to actually transport via Bracer?

Mostly because your hand isn't wrapped around it, and thus free for ladders, door knobs and the like. I kinda picture something like this on a full con borg or a powered suit of milspec armor.
hobgoblin
Too bad the cyberlimb casing in Spy Games specifically forbid cyberweapons, or that would have been the obvious solution.
Ryu
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 1 2012, 07:38 AM) *
No, UP TO lmg. Nothing bigger. Well, I can see military giving a big guy a minigun or a LMG gatling of some sort and the bracer would make it easy to carry. Besides, an LMG could be the todays M60 or M249, give them a shorter barrel and fit them under your arm - they are not THAT big.

For two-hand weapons, there is little advantage to a weapon bracer compared to an (maybe intelligent) sling. You generally want to transfer load to the main body, not away from it. As long as weight is no concern, not having to spend a Ready Weapon action is great. Maybe you have to spend a Free Action to drop what the hand was holding, but thats it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012