Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rules to melee a car?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Psikerlord
Hey all - trying to find rules on how to melee a car. Is ramming someone with a car the closest thing from SR4A, adapt that somehow, or are there specific rules for it? Does it make a difference if the car is turned off, not moving, etc, just sitting there - do the barrier rules somehow come into play then?

Thanee
I would just use the normal combat rules. A car that is not moving won't get a defense test.

Otherwise the driver can make a normal defense test (same as against a ranged attack, though, i.e. not like regular melee, where you can use your melee skill to parry in addition to Reaction, which is obviously not possible from inside a car wink.gif).

Bye
Thanee
Shortstraw
"Regardless of whether they’re being shot at or are locked in a knife
fight,
characters usually have a chance of avoiding or defending against
incoming attacks before they connect......"

People can defend in melee.

"When a vehicle is attacked in ranged combat, the driver rolls his
Reaction +/– Handling as the defense part of the Opposed Test.
Drones roll their Pilot +/– Handling."

"Vehicles that are under attack can take a Complex Action and undertake
evasive driving—the vehicle equivalent of full defense. This
means the driver of the vehicle can add his Vehicle skill dice to the
defense dice pool to dodge ranged attacks"

Vehicles cannot (unless you consider ramming to be melee combat).

Besides unless the character is a centaur or has celerity and satyr legs/raptor legs they are only going to get one turn to attack so I don't see anything game breaking about it.
Psikerlord
Well lets say for example say a melee char wants to cut open a security car with his weapon focus katana, or something. The car has somehow been disabled, it can't drive away, perhaps it's wedged between two other cars? Or you know the classic "drop from a bridge onto the truck" move, then wanting to cut a hole in the top of the truck to get inside.

How do you think those kinds of scenarios would work rules wise?

In terms of trying to melee a moving car, I figure I can use something along the lines of the ramming rules ("treat it as a melee attack... p.169 SR4A)...? But yeah the car will just kite the melee guy, so... (or perhaps ram him!)
Thanee
QUOTE (Psikerlord @ Mar 30 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Well lets say for example say a melee char wants to cut open a security car with his weapon focus katana, or something. The car has somehow been disabled, it can't drive away, perhaps it's wedged between two other cars? Or you know the classic "drop from a bridge onto the truck" move, then wanting to cut a hole in the top of the truck to get inside.

Roll attack.

Don't roll defense.

Calculate damage.

Roll damage resistance.

Apply remaining damage (if any).

Bye
Thanee
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Mar 30 2012, 07:09 AM) *
Besides unless the character is a centaur or has celerity and satyr legs/raptor legs they are only going to get one turn to attack so I don't see anything game breaking about it.

Troll w/ movement-powered Spirit.

Troll/Street Sam/PhysAd on a motorcycle with a gigantic sword, Cloud Strife style?

Go-Gangers with enormously powerful electroshock prods to use to zap a vehicle into submission?

There's more possible ways to get a troll into melee than what you suggested alone. smile.gif
CanRay
"You cannot parry the 1949 Mercury Eight Road Spirit with a sword." "Just making sure." - One of my JimCon games.
KarmaInferno
Fighter can block anything.

-k
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 30 2012, 09:33 AM) *

Heh...i love that comic...
Lantzer
QUOTE (Psikerlord @ Mar 30 2012, 01:12 PM) *

It ain't melee combat - He's trying to cut open a barrier. In combat your intent is to do damage boxes to disable your opponent, i.e. breaking the car. Cutting a hole in the roof will not inconvenience the car at all. The passenger,s on the other hand may have opinions.

So cutting into a car is like cutting through a door/wall/window/shrubbery.
Psikerlord
I quite like that approach... if moving, I can treat it as a variation on ramming. If standing still, and just want to punch a hole in it, use the barrier rules. If actually want to destroy a stationary car, treat it as a melee attack with no defence roll.

Something like that anyways.
Summerstorm
When i was reading the title i was thinking "Motherfucker suplexed a Train"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u84cH_bmTA

Now, i am a reasonable man. Shadowrun is not a Final Fantasy game or the Marvel RPG... but i need to know if i can think of a character who can suplex say... a small standard car. Now i have to calculate something.

Later
Psikerlord
haha I think I looked at that once with a troll. Wondering whether a troll could throw a car. Not doable! A motorbike on the other hand... dunno?
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 30 2012, 09:33 AM) *

Your posting that led me to read that again from where I left off several years ago. Thank you for that good sir.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012