Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Mage Tricks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Egon
I had a request for this in a different thread so I thought I would start this one.

put down your best stupid mage tricks

example
The ramp used to be a classic move. I used a ramp variant to flip an oncoming Mobmaster. The barrier can also be used as a short bridge, to span a gap; if your timing is very good, you can also use it with a grenade to cause instant chunky salsa.

Cain from the "Skateboarding and the Physical Barrier Spell, can this work?" thread
Digital Heroin
Cast Mind Probe on a poster to wonder why they re-hash oft done topics?
Egon
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Cast Mind Probe on a poster to wonder why they re-hash oft done topics?

I know it has been done over and over, but its fun and a new to mages person asked for it. don't want to be a part of it don't click it.
Solidcobra
stupid trick: cast a force 1 invisibility, what will happen? people will need umptiten successes to see you

The stupid way to fix it: let it be like that
The smart way to fix it: limit max successes with invisibility spells and the like to force, TADAH!
Sphynx
QUOTE (Solidcobra)
stupid trick: cast a force 1 invisibility, what will happen? people will need umptiten successes to see you

The smart way to fix it: limit max successes with invisibility spells and the like to force, TADAH!

That "smart way" will only work if you don't let people roll unless they have a reason to. Ie: footprints appearing in the snow.

Personally, I think the "stupid way" is the smart way. Invis is Invis. It's not suppose to be easy to see.

Sphynx
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Solidcobra)

That's the one thing with illusion spells, no limits on successes compared to force, so 6 successes on a force 1 imp. invis. is just as "good" as 6 successes on a force 6 - damn few npcs have 6 int, so they never see through it, which is cheesy.

In my games, I house rules that the max number of successes for illusion spells =1/2 the casters magic (round down) + the force of the spell.

So magic 6, and force 1 imp. invisibility gives you a max of four successes. Any extra success are recorded for purposes of dispelling only.

One trick I like - Magic Fingers to pull pins on grenades bad guys have on their gear. biggrin.gif

Cast invisibility on a grenade before throwing - bad guys can't see it to pick up and throw back, and don't know what direction to dodge. Add Stealth to the grenade, and they don't even know it's there when it lands.

A Clockwork Lime
The rule certain spells have on the maximum number of successes equally the Force of the spell should be a standard rule with exceptions, not the other way around. I'll never figure out why they didn't do that to begin with, nor why they didn't do the whole "+1d6 per two successes" Increased Reflexes spell.

On one hand it eliminates "problems" with things like low-force Invisibility spells, while on the other it gives magicians a good reason beyond dispelling to take most spells at a higher Force.

Needless to say, it's a standard rule in our house rules. smile.gif
Dashifen
A few I like all have to do with ally spirits. Get an ally spirit and then learn a bunch of touch based physical spells for it (fling and cripple limb are two of my favs). Then, you can instruct your ally spirit to go astral, move up behind the bad guys, go physical and fling their guns or cripple their legs, whatever you want, really. Good for trickster shamans because these things would even be in line with their Totem!

A little used but potentially valuable spell is Poltergeist. Especially in an office room or someplace with a lot of loose paper. Cast the spell and everyone in it gets a +2 to vision modifiers. Not the best if you have to fight through it, but not too bad if you're just trying to get away.
Aidley
My all-time favourite is using 'shape earth' as an area of affect offensive spell.

force 5 shape earth vs troll = toothpaste effect.

Can't top it.
Zazen
I like to encase magical opponents in an astral barrier. They're pretty much stuck unless they want to turn off all thier foci and go mundane, and it'll probably take more than one turn for them to break out. Magic through the barrier is hindered considerably, and if you trap them out in the open they can become a sitting duck for the sam. If they're not percieving they might not even notice the barrier, which can ruin his day if he's counting on sustained spells and foci.
shadd4d
Mana barriers in front of Lone Star/pursuit vehicles. It's useful but a gruesome way to go.

Don
lspahn72
I had a shaman try to cast an Acid Stream from INSIDE the escape van!!!! I quote.

"I raise my finger and call forth the keen of the mouse, unleashing a stream of acid at the Lone Star Patrol Car."

It streamed for onto the windshield, dash, O...lets not forget the driver and from seat passenger, and everything else in the front 25% of the van..

They did manage to escape...but that was the last escape for the mouse shaman..

lspahn72
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
One trick I like - Magic Fingers to pull pins on grenades bad guys have on their gear. biggrin.gif

I have seen PCs almost walk out in protest after being caught in an elevator after most of the pins were pulled....Loved it!

Backgammon
QUOTE (lspahn72)
QUOTE (ShadowGhost @ Apr 12 2004, 09:56 AM)

I have seen PCs almost walk out in protest after being caught in an elevator after most of the pins were pulled....Loved it!

It's not because you CAN use deadly tricks that, as a GM, you should. I believe at least one player (doesn't matter which one) should see death coming, and the victim should have a chance of avoiding it, besides rolling Body.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (shadd4d @ Apr 12 2004, 10:27 AM)
Mana barriers in front of Lone Star/pursuit vehicles. It's useful but a gruesome way to go.
Our team doesn't play with Mana Barriers, since they were dropped from the third edition book, but we agree a PC could "invent" the spell.

If it were invented in our campaign world, we would use the 2nd edition description which says that "Passengers inside a closed vehicle are not affected by a mana barrier." (SR2.158)
Bearclaw
Even if you use a mana barrier, it only works against motor cycle cops anyway. Guys in a car are within the cars "aura" and aren't effected.
BitBasher
Our Team bet me to it. Mana barrier is only good against motorcycles.
blakkie
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
...I'll never figure out why they didn't do that to begin with, nor why they didn't do the whole "+1d6 per two successes" Increased Reflexes spell. ...

There is an -excellent- reason for this. Look closely at the damage code. As it is spell Force only affects the power of the drain. By having it as separate spells it allows the scaling up to Deadly without non-standard definition of the damage code. Also note that it is +3(D) for that Improved Reflexes 3. What other spell uses +3 for power. It already has built in the drain for a higher force spell, and for the price you are still vulnerable to easy dispelling.

Sunday_Gamer
Using trid phatasm to "road runner" the bad guys.

You are being chased by the evil bad guys in their armored van of doom! You are whipping down the road on your skateboard and you turn the corner step into the 5 foot deep niche and cast a little phantasm action... They'll see that it's an alley going down and easily wide enough for their van... they'll start taking the turn and see the hapless monkey shaman skating down the alley at top speed but oooh! There's a tall fence there and he's trapped! STEP ON IT!!

Reality check. The mage as ducked into a doorway, there's no alley, no fence... just you, your van and this wall you just drove into at high speeds...

Buckle up campers!

Kong
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (lspahn72 @ Apr 12 2004, 07:03 PM)

That's why its a good idea to have quick-release covers over grenades - mages have to do two things (two Quickness related tests: remove cover and pull pin) in order to succeed. PCs have the chance to notice the cover opening (sight and sound) before the pin comes off.

A Clockwork Lime
Or they could just be smart in general and keep the damn things out of sight. Kind of hard for a mage to use a LOS spell on something they don't have LOS of.
lspahn72
QUOTE (Backgammon)

It's not because you CAN use deadly tricks that, as a GM, you should. I believe at least one player (doesn't matter which one) should see death coming, and the victim should have a chance of avoiding it, besides rolling Body.

I agree...BUT

I have a real issue with stupied NPCs. If a mage has an INT of 6 then he is basicly as smart or smarter than everyone here. So its not unreasonable to lash out in that way. You are right though, its not a GMs right to blast a party to bits...

This particular run was a military guarded installation....in the Tir.... There was little room for mercy..LOL

The Troll, one Sam and the Mage all stayed concious. The decker was a shattered ball of meat and the rigger and a sam were just unconcious....

lspahn72
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Or they could just be smart in general and keep the damn things out of sight. Kind of hard for a mage to use a LOS spell on something they don't have LOS of.

Thats true...I have a veteran group os runners( 7+ years) so there really is not excuse...not to mention they have used this tactic on multiple occastions.. Mostly after X2 was released....Magneto Rulez!

sircnay
My old mage character got his eyes gouged out while in an alleyway fight with some Sammies, so I had him cast a fireball spell at force of 8 deadly using all of his magic pool dice along with his sorcery, 10/8 respectively and threw it on himself and engulfed EVERY single Sammie there killing each of them and my mage in the process. It was worth it thought. =)
Luke Hardison
Is it a common house rule that grenades in 2063 still have pins? From the description in the BBB, I get no indication that the pin / spoon combination is still in operation. The trigger seems to be electronic, eleminating the need for a release spoon and hammer to start the fuse.
Cain
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Even if you use a mana barrier, it only works against motor cycle cops anyway. Guys in a car are within the cars "aura" and aren't effected.

And if you're going against motorcycles, Hot Potato is a better bet.

Other tricks: using a low-force fireball to set off the sprinklers, then following it with a big ball lightning.

Having a female Japanese mage shout: "Jupiter Thunder CRASH!" as part of Centering for that huge ball lightning. (And yes, she was wearing a schoolgirl outfit.)

Using Fashion and Makeover for instant disguises. (Side note: back in the day, Fashion wasn't restricted by armor values. You could convert a suit of Heavy Milspec into a bikini. I never actually pulled that trick, but I did convert a suit to look like full motorcycle leathers with helmet.)

Using Trid Phantasm to convince a drone it's stuck in a box.

Casting Physical Barrier over a guy about to throw a grenade.

Use Influence to convince a guard he really, really needs to take a leak.
vebor
/\
To all the metal gear players.

REMEMBER JOHHNY SASAKI

"ugggh, ooh my stomach..."
Nikoli
I think SR grenades are like the ones in the last Aliens movie, the spoon acts as a remote detonator for the grenade.
Egon
I keep my grenades in the nice 6 shot launcher where they belong and use air burst. none of that taking damage from your own grenades for me.
Zazen
A couple times I've had clever NPCs throw trick grenades at my players. They have a habit of always throwing back grenades, so these grenades are inert but give electric shocks when picked up.

That can help put the hesitation back into grabbing a live grenade.
Cain
QUOTE (Egon)
I keep my grenades in the nice 6 shot launcher where they belong and use air burst. none of that taking damage from your own grenades for me.

Heh. What happened was that I used a held action to cast the barrier just before the guy fired. I didn't know he was using his underbarrel grenade launcher; that was just a side benefit. biggrin.gif
Zazen
Where'd you put the barrier? Because, y'know, those grenades don't arm until they go 5 meters nyahnyah.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Zazen)
Where'd you put the barrier? Because, y'know, those grenades don't arm until they go 5 meters nyahnyah.gif

Sssh! Don't tell the GM! biggrin.gif

(Actually, I found out later that the GM had decided they'd hotwired their safeties. We were in close quarters anyways-- running around a shipyard full of containers-- so you couldn't be all that far away from someone and have LOS. I still have to wonder why they were packing grenade launchers, but considering the effect, I can't argue too much.)
gknoy
QUOTE (sircnay)
My old mage character got his eyes gouged out while in an alleyway fight with some Sammies, so I had him cast a fireball spell at force of 8 deadly using all of his magic pool dice along with his sorcery, 10/8 respectively and threw it on himself and engulfed EVERY single Sammie there killing each of them and my mage in the process. It was worth it thought. =)

Holy cow smile.gif
That's awesome smile.gif
Even better if he could hand of god his survuval ;D Talk about being a legend!
Catsnightmare
Pinned down bo heavy ganger assault, I used Trid Phantasm and Thunderclap to simulate a ganger throwing a grenade at a Doc Wagon HTR Team (there to pic up team mate who had gotten splattered) Which caused the Doc Wagon troops to open heavy fire on the gangers providing us with an escape distraction.
Beast of Revolutions
Oh, I can beat all of that. I once got into the most boring mage duel ever. My team was hired to kill another shadowrunning team who were threatning to leak some incriminating info. My mage encountered the enemy mage one on one, and we got into a magical duel in which both myself and the npc mage only cast one spell over and over again, which we both happened to have: control actions. We cast it at each other several times, failing because of our high willpowers and spell defense, before I finaly made him my bitch. Then, I got him to call up his team and tell them that he had captured the mage from the running team that was trying to kill them all, and to meet him at a safehouse of theirs that I knew about. So they all arrive to find their mage sitting on the couch, while I served him beer and a sandwich. His teammates ask what the hell is going on, and I make him say not to worry, he has me under a control actions spell. So they all sit down, and I mentally command him to verbally command me to go get them all some beer and sandwiches, conveniently taking me out of the living room. As soon as I am gone, I detonate the C4 I had strapped to his chest. Their troll samurai somehow survived the blast, so I had to finish him off with a manabolt. Then I hurriedly looted the place and ran off. Of course, I had taken the mage's fetishes and focus beforehand so they wouldn't get blown up.
Elfie
Beast: How wonderfully...evil!

I've never played a mage before, but there are all some wonderful tricks I have to keep in mind for when I draw up one. I was thinking more of the manipulation school than direct damage spells. Seems like more fun to me.
Cain
Okay, I have a mage duel story for you...

My aforementioned mage gets into a battle royale with a hermetic. He opens with a fireball, I reply with a ball lightning, and it goes on from there. We're both initiates with Shielding, so our spells aren't having any effect. Thanks to Centering, neither of us are taking drain. (This was 2nd Ed, so I had all the metamagics.)

GM: (full of purple prose) "The enemy mage grins evilly from behind his mana barrier. He makes an eldritch gesture in the air, and spits out one word in a harsh, guttural language. A wave of sickly green ichor comes racing at you." (Rolls dice) "That's a force 6 toxic wave coming your way."

Me: (Rolls dice) "Blocked it all with my Shielding and Spell Pool."

GM: "How much spell pool do you have left?"

Me: "None. That was all of it."

GM: "Ha! I got you now! The enemy mage glares at you, then energy begins to crackle from his fingertips. It's your action, bub. What do you do?"

Me: "I pull out my shotgun and shoot him."

GM: "..."
Eyeless Blond
Ah, the Indiana Jones maneuver. Classic. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012