Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to technomancy: resonance wells and RC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Krishach
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere: I cannot find it.

I do not know what a typical rating, or even rating range, of a Resonance Well, other than equivalent to "Ultraviolet" nodes per UW

In RC, we see a modification to have a resonance well in your home node.
In UW, we see the purpose for this, namely the rating of the Resonance Well.

However, nowhere is it even suggested what the rating of this Resonance Well should be for the lifestyle perk.

Considering a higher Resonance Well rating has both an upside AND a downside (uninvited guests), I cannot see it being rated lower than "In-Tune," which has the same lifestyle point cost and no relative downside. However, I also cannot see the rating being 7+, as Ultraviolets are, as the DP bonus would be past unfair when compared to hackers.

What average or reasonable rating would a Resonance Well in someones home node through the lifestyle perk be?
Makki
I guess the same as the magical equivalent "Aspected Domain". 2.
Krishach
Good thought, that. However, the extra complications of the resonance well seems to surpass the possible complications of a domain. An Aspected domain, being a physical place, will not draw as much NPC randomness as a Resonance well, which are made out to be hideously rare. The lifestyle perk flat out states that your node will have a lot of unusual visitors looking for this. In-Tune adds the same as Aspected Domain for physically being in the same place (2), so it seemed to me that it might be more equivalent.

Our group had privately discussed 2 or 3 being a good number for the wells if none was to be had in the rules.

In any case, I assume by the comparison then that we are not aware of a book or errata stated number or number range for this perk?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Krishach @ Apr 5 2012, 02:04 PM) *
Good thought, that. However, the extra complications of the resonance well seems to surpass the possible complications of a domain. An Aspected domain, being a physical place, will not draw as much NPC randomness as a Resonance well, which are made out to be hideously rare. The lifestyle perk flat out states that your node will have a lot of unusual visitors looking for this. In-Tune adds the same as Aspected Domain for physically being in the same place (2), so it seemed to me that it might be more equivalent.

Our group had privately discussed 2 or 3 being a good number for the wells if none was to be had in the rules.

In any case, I assume by the comparison then that we are not aware of a book or errata stated number or number range for this perk?

The Power level of the Well is set by the GM. There is no hard and fast rule.
Krishach
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 5 2012, 11:01 PM) *
The Power level of the Well is set by the GM. There is no hard and fast rule.

Yeah, the problem is we as a group, GMs included (all of us who occasionally GM shadowrun) have no idea even a ballpark rating for a resonance well. Are we talking like Ultra Violet is for hacker, 7+? What rating resonance wells do you let your players have in your game?
Aerospider
QUOTE (Krishach @ May 18 2012, 07:24 AM) *
Yeah, the problem is we as a group, GMs included (all of us who occasionally GM shadowrun) have no idea even a ballpark rating for a resonance well. Are we talking like Ultra Violet is for hacker, 7+? What rating resonance wells do you let your players have in your game?

The UV reference in the Resonance Wells section of Unwired merely describes how TMs experience resonance wells in a similar way to how a mundane user would experience a UV node (i.e. "hyper-real"). UV nodes themselves have super-high Response and System ratings and resonance wells exist in normal nodes that have their own Response and System ratings so deducing that the UV reference implies all resonance wells have a rating comparable to the Response and System of a UV node is not at all logically sound.

Where the concern is game balance and proportion you need to look at the potential applications. Wells grant a positive dice pool bonus to all Resonance tests. Primarily these are fading, compiling and registering. Now having access to a particular node in which a bonus for compiling and registering is available is very handy, since a TM will often want to sort his sprites out in advance of using them and thus doesn't mind where he does it. Fading as a result of threading, however, is more likely than not going to occur where the action is, since threading all the complex forms you expect to need in advance means a lot of -2 modifiers for sustaining them.

You may also like to consider other applications, such as submersion tasks and locating a back door to the resonance realms, but these are likely to be less weighty concerns.

I think the comparison with aspected domain is viable but maybe you could bump it up by one if you think an aspected domain is significantly more useful. Ultimately, do you want such a TM to have +2 or +3 for all sprites?
Krishach
QUOTE (Aerospider @ May 18 2012, 02:12 PM) *
I think the comparison with aspected domain is viable

I still think "In-Tune" is the direct comparison, since they both cost the same, add the same value (for mages and technomancers, respectively) and both require your physical presence to work.

Our group has been rolling with a 3, but it sounds like not a whole lot of people have this number in their game nailed down. Has anyone else played with this lifestyle quality that can say what rating they used in their own game? Ours, as I mentioned, has been a 3.
Halinn
QUOTE (Krishach @ May 24 2012, 06:06 AM) *
I still think "In-Tune" is the direct comparison, since they both cost the same, add the same value (for mages and technomancers, respectively) and both require your physical presence to work.

Our group has been rolling with a 3, but it sounds like not a whole lot of people have this number in their game nailed down. Has anyone else played with this lifestyle quality that can say what rating they used in their own game? Ours, as I mentioned, has been a 3.

My last technomancer skipped having one in her own home. She was a member of the KivaNet, which has access to a rating 5 well. Much simpler.
Krishach
Good idea. Also gives us a good comparison point for a house run well. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012