Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun: Snes vs Genesis
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
silva
Today I had a nostalgia rush after stumbling with this.

This game was the first contact I had with Shadowrun world, and it was awesome. Its atmosphere was top notch (partly due to its great "Noir-jazz" music), better than anyting Ive seen by that time on the SNES. I played the hell out of it, finishing it a lot of times.

Some time later a friend of mine showed me another SR game, this time for the Genesis. It was another kickass game - open-ended gameplay, emergent world, great matrix, better implementation of the rules system, etc. Even if it didnt grow so fond to me as the Snes one, I still consider it a great console rpg.

So for me, the Snes one wins. What about you, guys and girls ?
CanRay
Both rock, still own the SNES one (Even if I don't currently have a SNES!), but the Genesis one resonated with me better.

Might have been the Matrix, in it, or how the skills were done, but I later found out how much of a Pencil and Paper RPGer I am, and that's why.
Blade
The Genesis version was closer to the PnP, both on the rules and universe. But the adventure of the SNES was a bit more... surprising. It kept going in weird and unexpected ways.

The Japanese Mega CD version looked extremely cool, and close to the PnP (you could even choose to see the dice roll, allocate your combat/magic pools and so on) and I really hope some translation team will finally offer a translation patch.
Thanee
I love the SNES game.

The other one is cool, too, but never was as much fun to me. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Bigity
Yea the Genesis one was closer to the RPG, but both still pretty good.

And I second the wish for a translated version of the Japanese Mega CD version.
LurkerOutThere
I would be hard pressed to say which is the better game as they were very much different by stylistic choices. I would narrowly give the win to the Sega version.
Angelone
I prefer the Genesis version, it was closer to the rules and to this day influences how I see the Shadowrun world.
Rastus
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 2 2012, 03:07 AM) *
The Japanese Mega CD version looked extremely cool, and close to the PnP (you could even choose to see the dice roll, allocate your combat/magic pools and so on) and I really hope some translation team will finally offer a translation patch.

QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 2 2012, 09:51 AM) *
And I second the wish for a translated version of the Japanese Mega CD version.

Wish granted. Maybe.

As for the debate on Genesis vs. SNES... I dunno. Everyones pretty much said what there is to be said. I figure they're both winners in different ways. Genesis was more faithful to the rules and had much better gameplay, but I feel that the story and characters(how little there was) were better in the SNES version. Also, the SNES version had music and sound effects that were FAR less grating.
Blade
QUOTE (Rastus @ Apr 6 2012, 01:58 PM) *

Ohhhhhhh! facelick.gif wobble.gif love.gif
Vegetaman
I think the Genesis version wins by a small bit, just because of how expansive the universe was and the ability to go on countless Shadowruns to build karma and nuyen, instead of just grinding or exploiting glitches in the SNES version. Though both had great storylines and the ability to choose the conversation in the SNES one was a neat feature.

I even did a screenshot Let's Play of both of them, but I only have the SNES one up on my website so far.

https://sites.google.com/site/vegetaman/hom.../shadowrun_snes

The other should be coming soon, hopefully.
MYST1C
The SNES SR game was actually my first contact with the whole franchise, back in '92? Living in Germany, I got the German version, of course, which has interesting translations - clearly done by someone who didn't know the already existing German translation of the P&P game (e.g. datajack became "Datenknacker" which re-translates to 'data cruncher'). I absolutely loved it - gameplay, story, music...
Some time later I discovered - by chance, browsing in a bookstore - that there were SR novels (the German translation of the "Secrets of Power" trilogy) that absolutely hooked me. And in one of these novels was an ad for the SR P&P RPG...
_Pax._
Genesis version is much truer to the mechanics and, IMO, the setting.
static
I wish I had a chance to try the SNES one, but I never had an SNES. The Sega Genesis game was freakin' amazing and I STILL play it on my mac with an emulator - not joking! That's why although I'll never stop playing SR3 PnP I am very excited for SR Returns. SRO might be good too - you would be very surprised what you can do in a browser now thanks to the Unity Web Player (see Battlestar Galactica Online for instance). The advantage is that any computer including macs and netbooks can play - why deprive anyone of SR? Or more importantly why deprive SR of any fan in the community who could be contributing?! I'm PUMPED they're letting us upload our own runs to SR:R!
Stahlseele
Also, there will be a Mission in SRR that ties together lose ends from the SNES and Sega Game too, i think . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 29 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Also, there will be a Mission in SRR that ties together lose ends from the SNES and Sega Game too, i think . .
Yeah, we made that one. And the magic ninjas as well. biggrin.gif
Shortstraw
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 2 2012, 03:11 PM) *
Both rock, still own the SNES one (Even if I don't currently have a SNES!), but the Genesis one resonated with me better.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/b76e/
CanRay
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ May 2 2012, 05:56 AM) *
Actually there's a brick and mortar store (Actually, concrete and glass) that sells SNESes and rigs like this in town. The problem is justifying money for just one game.

OK, an OLDER game. Kickstarting Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns is different. nyahnyah.gif
almost normal
The SNES version is truer to the universe and feel of ShadowRun, whereas the gens version lets you interact with more of the world, and plays more actiony. I dig both, but I'm more likely to play the gens version for fun.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ May 2 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Ah, right, the patents on NES/SNES ran out and opened up the road for 3rd party devices, right?
Adarael
Negative. The patents are still very much owned and enforced, just as are the copyrights to the actual IP. However, what IS legal are some kinds of emulation. I forget the details, but was fairly well settled in the US with the bleem! lawsuit by Sony against Bleem Corporation. My memory of the exact details is shoddy, but what I recall is that it's not legal to create an emulator via a BIOS dump unless the person using any individual copy of the BIOS also has a legal copy of the original machine; this includes end-users. The way bleem! got around it was to actually engineer an emulation engine from the ground up, and this is also how I expect these items work. In that case, they are unlikely to be 100% compatible with all games, but will probably work for MOST games.
almost normal
QUOTE (Adarael @ May 2 2012, 05:42 PM) *
Negative. The patents are still very much owned and enforced, just as are the copyrights to the actual IP. However, what IS legal are some kinds of emulation. I forget the details, but was fairly well settled in the US with the bleem! lawsuit by Sony against Bleem Corporation. My memory of the exact details is shoddy, but what I recall is that it's not legal to create an emulator via a BIOS dump unless the person using any individual copy of the BIOS also has a legal copy of the original machine; this includes end-users. The way bleem! got around it was to actually engineer an emulation engine from the ground up, and this is also how I expect these items work. In that case, they are unlikely to be 100% compatible with all games, but will probably work for MOST games.

Bleem is one of those cases that makes me wish I was an actual SR hacker, so I could hack sony and shut down their network. Thankfully, someone else pulled that off already.

Sony couldn't win a case against Bleem, so they litigated them into bankruptcy. Hooray corporate-backed legal systems!
CanRay
Innocent until proven broke. frown.gif

Sometimes I wish Anonymous had more... Punch behind them.
Vegetaman
Rather than make a new topic about it, I do have let's plays (screenshot based) of both the SNES and Genesis versions on my website that I did about 4 years ago [but finally got around to posting again]:

https://sites.google.com/site/vegetaman/hom...adowrun_genesis

https://sites.google.com/site/vegetaman/hom.../shadowrun_snes

Unsure which I like better, still... Genesis is more true to the P&P mechanics, for sure though.
CanRay
I still gotta go with the Genesis. It's got a more open world feel and is closer to the PnP. Which, as we all know, I've wanted to play FOREVER.
almost normal
Closer to the PnP how? Mechanics wise of course, but I felt the SR was closer to the literary feel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012