Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edge/Flaw idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lilt
'Gifted' characters round-up for allactions and character features, regardless of wether it says to round up or down in the text.

'Special' characters are the opposite and always round down.

Yes, this is a silly little caffiene-induced idea. I just thought it might be interesting.
mfb
well, if you're gonna use it, i'd suggest making it so that Gifted rounds whichever way is most beneficial, and Special rounds the opposite. otherwise, your Gifted characters are going to be paying a lot of extra karma.
A Clockwork Lime
I don't think it's a good idea as written, regardless of its value. Try this on for size to see if the spirit remains the same. The wording is going to suck, but just read the intent.

Gifted (Attribute or Skill Group)
6-point Edge

Whenever you attempt to learn, develop, or otherwise improve the listed Attribute or Skill Group you do so as if your Intelligence score was two points higher for purposes of Learning Tests, and reduce the Karma costs for doing so by 25%. Any reductions in the Karma cost for improving the Attribute or Skill apply before this modifier, so a Mnemonic Enhancer is less effective than normal, but still useful. All other limitations still apply. Attributes cannot be raised beyond the Racial Modified Limit without GM permission, and even then you are limited by your Attribute Maximum. The cost for improving skills are still based on their linked Attribute.

Special/Crippled would be the flaw version of this edge and would work exactly the same way. I probably wouldn't allow it, myself, since the player simply wouldn't ever have to invest any Karma in the Attribute or Skill to avoid the "penalty."
Arethusa
Which kind of raises another potential variant:
Gifted
6-point Edge

Character gains all benefits of Mnemonic Enhancer; not compatible with Mnemonic Enhancer.

Broken, you say? So the piece of crap that spawned it.
gknoy
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 12 2004, 07:04 PM)
Character gains all benefits of Mnemonic Enhancer; not compatible with Mnemonic Enhancer.

That is such a simply written edge that I would probably LOVE to go with it. Even if at 6 pts it's REALLY expensive. That said, it's a pretty cool hook.

ph34r the otaku with it, though, I imagine. wink.gif

On the flip side ... Clockwork Lime's version seems to make more "sense" -- the menemonic enhancer would be a physical augmentation (even more) that might work in a different way. Maybe your "gifted-ness" has to do less with remembering things, or whatever it is the M.E. does, but rather have some intuitive leaps or something. smile.gif

Though that's probably all psychobabble for the same thing, I imagine, when it breaks down to brass tacks.
Arethusa
Hm. Perhaps 4 points for mundanes, 8 for awakened?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012