Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sakura Fubuki
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
StConstantine
So, let me get this straight, this gun, features 4 barrels, and holds 40 rounds split into 4 magazines.

So a pistol like a glock 17, ultra light weight materials, except for the barrel which is made of steel, its probably the heaviest part in the pistol not including the magazine, this has 4 barrels

then the magazine, heaviest part in a glock? probably. The Fubuki has 4 full magazines

then you can fire all the barrels in this weapon at once as a form of burst (is this correct, its how i read it)

So this is sortal like taping 4 glock 17 pistols together and firing them all at once.... in one hand

does this make sense? maybe it does, but i just feel like if you could hold it up for any period of time, aim accurately and pull the trigger, you'd probably break your arm with the recoil!

Maybe i'm wrong (dont have a heap of gun knowledge) but i have held a full pistol before, and they arent light!
Thanee
It doesn't need to make sense. It only needs to be cool! biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Elfenlied
It's Metalstorm, therefore the recoil is less.
The Jopp
They tell us that the recoil is less than a single barrel burst shot since all barrels fire as one - If reality agrees thats something else.

I would on the other hand classify this weapon as having the concealability of a HEAVY pistol since it has four times the barrels of a regular light pistol and aproximately twice the ammo.

You wanna have real fun? Modify the weapon to have X2 Clips and Improved Ammo Capacity.

8 barrels
12,5 shots per barrel or we just take 40*1,25=50 shots total X2

You now have a light pistol with 100 shots full auto.

Now you give it stick n shock.
CanRay
Or that really loud suppressive ammo for a nice way to attract a LOT of attention. cyber.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 16 2012, 12:31 PM) *
Or that really loud suppressive ammo for a nice way to attract a LOT of attention. cyber.gif

Dont worry, you just need 8 suppressors and they wont hear a thing.... grinbig.gif
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 16 2012, 07:31 AM) *

Speaking of Fubukis and lots of attention...

Someone I gamed with once created a human rapper called G-Phat. He had gold plated cyberarms(with spinners!) and dual wielded Fubukis. His trademarked move was spinning as fast as he could while firing them. Called it 'The Wigger Whirlwind'. His usefulness as a runner was, of course, limited. Not that he cared.
CanRay
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Apr 16 2012, 11:44 AM) *
Speaking of Fubukis and lots of attention...

Someone I gamed with once created a human rapper called G-Phat. He had gold plated cyberarms(with spinners!) and dual wielded Fubukis. His trademarked move was spinning as fast as he could while firing them. Called it 'The Wigger Whirlwind'. His usefulness as a runner was, of course, limited. Not that he cared.
He 'ran in LA, didn't he?
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 16 2012, 01:44 PM) *
They tell us that the recoil is less than a single barrel burst shot since all barrels fire as one
No they don't. They tell us that the weapon has no moving parts, the ammunition is stored in four stacks and that the recoil is less. They tell us that only narrow bursts may be fired. They don't tell us how burst are fired. It could be just as well that first one internal magazine is emptied and then the next.

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 16 2012, 01:44 PM) *
You wanna have real fun? Modify the weapon to have X2 Clips and Improved Ammo Capacity.

8 barrels
12,5 shots per barrel or we just take 40*1,25=50 shots total X2

You now have a light pistol with 100 shots full auto.
Not possible. The ammunition is not stored in clips. So you can neither have the extended clip mod nor the additional clip mod.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Apr 16 2012, 06:37 PM) *
No they don't. They tell us that the weapon has no moving parts, the ammunition is stored in four stacks and that the recoil is less. They tell us that only narrow bursts may be fired. They don't tell us how burst are fired. It could be just as well that first one internal magazine is emptied and then the next.

Not possible. The ammunition is not stored in clips. So you can neither have the extended clip mod nor the additional clip mod.

Only if we go by literally RAW. grinbig.gif

Pink mohawk is so much more fun spin.gif
Yerameyahu
Heh. It's not exactly nitpicking, though: there are guns that use ammo N( c), and others that are N(m), etc. Only 'clip' works with those, and for pretty obvious reasons.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Apr 16 2012, 11:37 AM) *

Right, the description has the bullets stored end-to-end within the barrels themselves, not on top of each other like conventional magazines. Based on the description I take that it uses caseless ammo only, and runs an electric charge at the first bullet in line to shoot. This would mean that for a short burst it fires one bullet from three of its barrels at the same time.

And judging by the artwork on the cover of Arsenal, I too would have issues with the Sakura Fubuki having a concealability of 0 when the slightly larger assault rifle above it has a concealability of +6. +4 for sure, maybe +2, but not 0.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 16 2012, 02:30 PM) *
And judging by the artwork on the cover of Arsenal

Well there's your problem nyahnyah.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 16 2012, 07:20 PM) *
Heh. It's not exactly nitpicking, though: there are guns that use ammo N( c), and others that are N(m), etc. Only 'clip' works with those, and for pretty obvious reasons.

Not really, there are many areas where the mod rules can be refined.

Additional Clip Mod Loading Similarities:
[b] - Additional Barrel Added (There are real life three and four barreled shotguns and hunting rifles today) (Shotguns go from 2 barrel to 4 and single barrels goes to double)
[m] - Magazine and clips aren't that much different, modifying a gun to handle a larger magazine is not very difficult
[c] - Cylinders obviously do not work due to major reworking of the entire frame - I was wrong, see bottom picture/link.

Improved Clip Size Similarities:
[b] - A 2 barrel shotgun becomes a tribarrel which exists today (obviously it would be bizzare to add additional clip as well, unless we want a bizarre 4-6 barrel design...)
[m] - Well, a longer magazine.
[c] - We have both the increased cylinder mod which CAN be combined with this one. Why? Well, they exists today.

There is a Lemat revolver from the American Civil war that had a 9 shot cylinder and an underbarrel shotgun (singe shot). There was also a 20 cylinder revolver (see link)
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/d...mallarms_id=315

And I was wrong, the people of belgium are mad. 3 barreled 18 round cylinder revolver. grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
3 barrel 18 round revolver
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Apr 16 2012, 12:35 PM) *
Well there's your problem nyahnyah.gif

The comparative artwork of the handguns in the original SR4 book isn't any more encouraging, either.
Yerameyahu
That's the point, The Jopp: you have to add those via house rules. They're only similar by analogy, like saying 'FTL is easy, just go faster!'. smile.gif In this case, I wasn't saying they couldn't exist, but that they *don't* (in the rules). Many things could exist in SR4, but don't.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 16 2012, 09:30 PM) *
This would mean that for a short burst it fires one bullet from three of its barrels at the same time.
This would create more problems than using one barrel at a time. 1) Burst fire 3 bullets but there are four barrels, so aiming each bullet in the burst should be more difficult some of the time depending on which barrel shoots first and which afterwards, which is not reflected in the rules. 2) There are four internal magazine. Rules for burst with not enough bullets exist. Can you fire a burst if only one bullet remains in each of the magazines?

It is much more in line with the rules to use one barrel/magazine after he other. That way you can fire 3 bursts with each and have one bullet left. Just like any other weapon with such a magazine capacity.

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 16 2012, 09:30 PM) *
And judging by the artwork on the cover of Arsenal, I too would have issues with the Sakura Fubuki having a concealability of 0 when the slightly larger assault rifle above it has a concealability of +6. +4 for sure, maybe +2, but not 0.
And judging by the artwork of the AK-98 and the M-22A3 their grenade launchers should should have a capacity of 1(b) and not 6(m). Ypou can't go by the artwork.

The size of the Sakura Fubuki in the background of the cover of arsenal compared to the Ares Crusader in the foreground suggest that the former weapon is at least troll modified.
FriendoftheDork
Oooh, look Yerameyahu a whole thread just for the Yamaha! biggrin.gif

Hmm, most have been said already. A possibly sane house rule would be to have it fire 4 barrels instead of 3, thus unleashing an unique 4-round short burst. Might seem alot, but remember this baby is more expensive than an ares alpha!

Not allowing external silencer might be a good thing though.. I can't see how you would either.

Other than this... well it's a small gun, low calibre (easily .22 LR), shoot too fast to notice it's own recoil, and has all the ammo in the barrels, thus not needing an actual magazine.
Yerameyahu
I agree with Dakka Dakka: given it says 4x10(m), it should function as if it had 3 'Additional Clip'-style mods, firing 3-bursts from a single barrel at a time. This, of course, would let you use 4 different ammos, yay!

You could indeed change it, though. What about reducing it to 3x10(m), then firing 3-bursts using 1 bullet per barrel? That makes it smaller/lighter, explains the magic SA recoil, and avoids giving it the pretty significant power boost (for a Light Pistol) that a 4-burst would give. Given this, you *might* reduce the price, but of course, SR4 prices don't accurate track weapon *power*. It's just economics, and this gun might just be a BMW.
Draco18s
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 16 2012, 06:44 AM) *
They tell us that the recoil is less than a single barrel burst shot since all barrels fire as one - If reality agrees thats something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXECU3YKMfI

Metal Storm exists. Guns that use it have lower recoil than guns that don't.
Sakura Fubuki can fire short narrow bursts at no recoil penalty (remember: recoil is a negative dice pool applied to THIS shot, which is why single shot weapons never have recoil even if they're firing 40mm tank shells).
Chainsaw Samurai
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 16 2012, 08:07 PM) *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXECU3YKMfI

Metal Storm exists. Guns that use it have lower recoil than guns that don't.
Sakura Fubuki can fire short narrow bursts at no recoil penalty (remember: recoil is a negative dice pool applied to THIS shot, which is why single shot weapons never have recoil even if they're firing 40mm tank shells).

That has to be a pain in the ass to reload.

I like how they mention if one of the rounds fails to fire that the next one can just push it out. Reminds me of that Portal 2 turret promo where it mentions it fires the "whole bullet" by not firing them but launching them, casing and all, out of the turret. "That's 66% more bullet!"

Interesting concept though. Using for grenades seems like a cool idea, but it hurts my head thinking about trying to reload one during a shootout.

Unrelated sidenote: Is it just me or does that guys voice irk anyone else. His normal dialogue is fine when conversing with the people on the show, but his narration is trying to play up the "super deadly Navy SEAL" and it kills me. Good for him for making a decent living out of it I guess.
TheOOB
I had a hacker in a game once who used them. He loaded one barrel in each gun with stick-n-shock, and the other three with explosive rounds. His basic tactic was to tag four people a round with stick-n-shock, and switch to burst fire with explosive rounds if a more...lethal solution was needed. It actually worked pretty well, almost too well.
The Jopp
The Sakura Fubuki is an insane design that has to be HUGE. Think about it.

First we have the grip and trigger assembly, this part includes the battery for the firing mechanism and a trigger guard and trigger. Lets say about 3 inches

In front of that we have the barrel connector casing to hold the barrels in place. Lets assume that it is about 1 inch + something to align and hold the barrels (we will get back to that later.

Even if we assume that we have a small caliber + powder charge each bullet should take up aproximately 1 centimeter of length so 5 bullets is about 2 inches. Each barrel hold 10 bullets so 4 inches long.

Oh yes, we need an actual barrel so we get SOME kind of accuracy so we'll double the barrel length. 8 inches of barrel.

Height should be about 4,5 inches, a little more than an average hand.

So, recap.

The entire gun should be about 4-5 inches high and about 12 inches long. And in centimeters that's about 30 centimeters long.

Even if we shorten the barrels the gun is a like a huge slab about 5 inches high and a MINIMUM of 8 inches long.

I have a hard time seing the feasability of this gun apart from no moving parts.

Not to mention that you have to remove each individual barrel to reload it and each barrel have to be individually preloaded before that.

I think I'll stay with my Fichetti Secutiry 600 with modification for Burstfire, extended clip and a gasvent. It is also cheaper...
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Chainsaw Samurai @ Apr 17 2012, 06:27 AM) *
That has to be a pain in the ass to reload.

I like how they mention if one of the rounds fails to fire that the next one can just push it out. Reminds me of that Portal 2 turret promo where it mentions it fires the "whole bullet" by not firing them but launching them, casing and all, out of the turret. "That's 66% more bullet!"

Interesting concept though. Using for grenades seems like a cool idea, but it hurts my head thinking about trying to reload one during a shootout.

Unrelated sidenote: Is it just me or does that guys voice irk anyone else. His normal dialogue is fine when conversing with the people on the show, but his narration is trying to play up the "super deadly Navy SEAL" and it kills me. Good for him for making a decent living out of it I guess.

It IS. Because of the (ml) you can load 1 tube per Complex action, similar to how you reload a Rocket Launcher. I'm assuming you load a stripper clip at a time, and not one round, since it says you load one "tube." It's still basically means if you run out it's time to whip out another weapon.
Chainsaw Samurai
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Apr 16 2012, 11:46 PM) *
It IS. Because of the (ml) you can load 1 tube per Complex action, similar to how you reload a Rocket Launcher. I'm assuming you load a stripper clip at a time, and not one round, since it says you load one "tube." It's still basically means if you run out it's time to whip out another weapon.

And if you're going to make a signature weapon out of something that is ridiculous to reload, what better weapon to pick than a Light Pistol so you can just have 8 of the damned things on you.

Shame they're so expensive. If they were normal Light Pistol price I'd already be working on a half-assed augmented adept who packed a crap ton of the things. Draw one, empty it as fast as possible, throw it for crazy magic adept ninja star damage, and then quick draw the next one.

Not as effective as either a Pistol Adept or a Throw Adept, but I'm willing to bet it would be more fun than either.
Inu
Lotta vague and badly-used terminology going on with the metal storm. One thing that springs to mind is the claim that it can't jam. I very much doubt this: it can't jam mechanically, but it's guaranteed to have introduced new fun and exciting ways to jam (I keep thinking what happens if the barrels aren't packed just right and some of the explosion for the first bullet reaches the explosive for the second...). Plus, if the electronics fail, you can't fix it in the field like you can most mechanical jams.

The 'fires a million rounds a minute' is dead wrong: that's actually a lie. A million rpm cyclic, sure. That is NOT the same as 'fires a millinon rounds a minute'. I've also never heard anyone go into how long it takes to reload. I'd imagine it'd be a while.

As for the 'no recoil', that's an exaggeration: no recoil on that burst, but plenty of recoil after you fire. So the three-round burst is REALLY nicely grouped, but then you get the recoil of three shots all at once. Translated into rules, I'd call this 'no recoil on burst fire, but can only fire one burst a round'.

Metal Storm is a really nice technological jump... but I do get tired of the marketing hype being reported straight.
The Jopp
Hmm...

Sakura Fubuki with an underbarrel Sakura Fubuki and both modified for FA... wobble.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Inu @ Apr 17 2012, 07:54 AM) *
Translated into rules, I'd call this 'no recoil on burst fire, but can only fire one burst a round'.
straight.

so the firing mode would be SSBF
Chainsaw Samurai
Metal Storm is a really nice technological jump... but I do get tired of the marketing hype being reported straight.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "technological jump." I get what you're saying, but it seems too gimmicky and too much trouble to reload and deal with in the field.

Admittedly I don't know how things work the world over, but if things don't get picked up by the American Military or Law Enforcement you can expect any of those innovations to sort of peter out here in the states. I really doubt this sort of thing would be adapted to even law enforcement use, and certainly not field use now that we have such a hardon for traipsing around in the desert.

I think the real innovations, and the ones we can expect to see adopted for future use are things like the downward action bolt used in the Kriss .45 SMG. I would be really excited to see it pick up a contract somewhere here, or at least to hear about more research done in that sort of bolt design.
KarmaInferno
Honestly, Metal Storm works much better as a grenade or mortar launch system, rather than anything for standard firearm ammunition.

Especially if space is at a premium on whatever you're mounting the weapon into. Standard multi-shot mortars and grenade launchers require pretty bulky ammo storage and feed mechanisms. A Metal Storm grenade launcher is... a tube. With some electrical connections.

-k
The Jopp
QUOTE (Chainsaw Samurai @ Apr 17 2012, 08:04 AM) *
I'm not sure I'd call it a "technological jump." I get what you're saying, but it seems too gimmicky and too much trouble to reload and deal with in the field.

It is really only usefule when you want a crapload of ammunition in the air at the same time and nom moving parts that can jam. Instaload grenade launchers that can fire off 20 filled barrels with grenades in a synchronized pattern where they all strike at the same time is more likely.

A gimmick that is mostly useful in military applications, and in those cases larger weapons than firearms since you dont want bulky and cumbersome firearms. An X amount of barrels standard rifle will not be fun.
Chainsaw Samurai
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 17 2012, 12:09 AM) *
Honestly, Metal Storm works much better as a grenade or mortar launch system, rather than anything for standard firearm ammunition.

Especially if space is at a premium on whatever you're mounting the weapon into. Standard multi-shot mortars and grenade launchers require pretty bulky ammo storage and feed mechanisms. A Metal Storm grenade launcher is... a tube. With some electrical connections.

-k

Now I would speak out against a grenade system. If you need an automatic grenade launcher, you need something that can reload. There really isn't a lot of wiggle room on this, mostly because of the range of grenade launchers and what sort of immediate threats something like a Mk 19 implies. I can't think of many realisitic situations where I need exactly 12 grenades right now, and then no more after that (or more if we're talking a crapton of barrels).

However your assessment of a Mortar system is probably spot on. Getting 3-4 Mortar Rounds "time on target" from only one tube sounds like a fairly plausible use of this technology. The problem being that a standard mortar team can do this by manually loading quickly. That is of course assuming a relatively modern mortar team setup without thinking about THE FUTURE (UTURE... UTURE... uture...)

Since a Mortars have significantly longer range than a Grenade Launcher, they can be used defensively or in offensive situations which don't imply an immediate "ohshitohshitohshit" situation. A troop could load the 3-4 mortars into the tube, and just let it chill out. Once a forward observer makes a call for fire, the automated tube recieves the data from the Fire Direction Control, a mechanism moves the mortar to match the correct firing arc -- boom boom boom boom -- you have rounds in the air. Mortar goes to standby, one guy reloads the rounds, then goes back to twiddling his thumbs as the mortar awaits further firing orders.

That covers base defense. It is a bit more complicated to get the same rig on the back of a small vehicle as the mortar needs to know precisely where it is at and what sort of leveling situation it has before it can make accurate fire. As GPS evolves it would be pretty easy to see Mortar teams transitioned away from a typical Infantry setting and moved towards a sort of "indirect fire quick reaction force." Small teams of vehicles could move to a supporting position far enough to be out of harms way but close enough to provide fire when needed, and do so moving from base to their location relatively quickly (which matches the current US operational strategy). Figure a Driver, a Gunner (small automatic weapon on the vehicle for covering fire or defense), and an NCO who loads the Mortar, monitors communications, and shuts it down if there are any faults.

Metal Storm? No. I think that idea is a failure.

Mortar Storm? Might have a serious future if they can work the kinks out.
KarmaInferno
As it turns out, the guys behind Metal Storm pretty much came to the same conclusion, and have mostly focused on developing arrays of mortars and the like, rather than personal scale weapons.

-k
Yerameyahu
Luckily, this is SR, so we're not bound by dumb reality. smile.gif The Fubuki is a novelty, but not a totally worthless one. You do get 40 rounds, by which time the combat is probably over.
CanRay
It's a "Good" weapon for the rich people that read magazines and drool over "New and unique" weapons.

A hostile extraction gets even more hostile when the target pulls one of these puppies out from under his bed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012