Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runners looking for a Johnson
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
sunnyside
QUOTE (Electric Muppet @ Nov 30 2021, 03:50 PM) *
Anyone got a stable copy of chummer?

Bot? Guess we're still quite a ways off from Wintermute...
pbangarth
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Nov 29 2021, 05:53 PM) *
I'm interested in GMing, but could play first as I don't have any experience using this particular forum to play.

So:

Are you interested in a campaign with a particular flavour, or one-off runs?

Are you interested in taking turns DMing (one-offs, I guess)?

What frequency of play are you considering? For example, post once a week, minimum? Once a day? I played in a campaign called Post or Die, in which if a player did not post within a week, their PC died, usually horribly.
sunnyside
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 30 2021, 06:10 PM) *
So:

Are you interested in a campaign with a particular flavour, or one-off runs?

Are you interested in taking turns DMing (one-offs, I guess)?

What frequency of play are you considering? For example, post once a week, minimum? Once a day? I played in a campaign called Post or Die, in which if a player did not post within a week, their PC died, usually horribly.

So if I was to run a game I've been thinking about doing a campaign called "Charm City" which would be based on Baltimore. I've got some materiel for it.

That's a term people used to try and sell Baltimore in that it has a bunch of little different neighborhoods with their own charm. The way that would apply to PCs is they'd have the option to do some world building in a little part of the city that they selected to start out living in.

Roughly daily posting would be good. We could see if that just works. Something I'd wanted to try was a "the training takes over" rule in which after a certain time, if everyone is waiting on you, the GM advances your character based on what they're designed to do. I haven't tried that out in a pbp game yet though.
Electric Muppet
I'll take it as it comes, just give a few weeks to get my head around the 6ed rules if that's what we are using. The "exalted" extra edge dice thing is making my nose bleed

Serious ly happy to gm every now and then got a few little runs and one shots I've been turning round in my head for a while. An open world format would suit that

Any body got any ideas what they like to play character wise. I real like the role in roll play and like play out the time between runs, being part of the wall Paper you're playing against is the charm of this game , gotta love vindictive, enemy and famous name for qualities for down time interactions rotfl.gif

pbangarth
We're looking at edition 4A right now. I know nothing of 6.

Well, I bought the main book, and skimmed it. What caught my eye was the ability to share Edge. I always wanted to play a character named Lucky Eddie with whom others wanted to run because his luck rubbed off on them.

I stuck with 3 and 4, though.

As far as talking about characters and play style, sunnyside, how about you start a thread for this conversation, so we don't abuse the current thread?

"The Wire"? "The Wireless"?
pbangarth
So, here are potential PCs you might consider, sunnyside:

Quick Willie: Link

Professor: Link

Bongo Slade: Link

Location/backstory might have to change a bit to fit the campaign. I've played multiple versions of some of these, so a bit of tweaking to please current-me might happen.
sunnyside
Well, getting more players via pm here wasn't successful, but the people hadn't logged on for quite a while since posting in this thread.

The two of you seem quite interested though. So perhaps you could each manage a couple characters? That might make RPing diologue smoother anyway.

I think I'll start an OOC thread. I see some folks here use obsidian portal. Thoughts on that (Which may allow pictures) versus just text here?
Electric Muppet
I have used obsidian its OK. Rpgplayroom is good too but no pictures

Two characters hmmmm that would best be bigbird and Katy. I'll need to get going with chummer to get them both up to speed (one is a prime and the other a street level) might try to redo an old cybered character Emily so I'm not running two magic characters
pbangarth
I've never used obsidian, so if we go there, you will have to PM me instructions, or a link to where I can learn.

I'll commit Quick Willie, and see if I can bring Bongo Slade into line, not just as a high Perception musician, but maybe as the Face.

If we continue here in DS, I will look for the OOC thread to start up.
pbangarth
Nope, not eager at all.

Quick Willie and Bongo Slade are ready to roll. Both are built with 750 point karmagen.

Where should I post them for your perusal, sunnyside?
Electric Muppet
Can give me a rough presice of them we don't want four physad hacker cyber zombie's turning up, I suddenly realised that all my characters are physads.I am adapting one to a mystic adept. But team/story line balance might need me to dust off Emily.

pbangarth
QUOTE (Electric Muppet @ Dec 19 2021, 01:10 PM) *
Can give me a rough presice of them we don't want four physad hacker cyber zombie's turning up, I suddenly realised that all my characters are physads.I am adapting one to a mystic adept. But team/story line balance might need me to dust off Emily.

Quick Willie is a young ork who came up through the tough streets. He made a lucky score and payed for a bunch of enhancements. Not a mana-loving molecule in him. In fact, as a matter of principle he prefers to geek the mage first. He loves to drive fast (and well), and shoot faster. You need a cannon to put a dent in him.

Bongo Slade is a young human physad, charming as all get out, who channeled most of his magic into music (drumming), perception and sneakiness. Oh, and he can use anything he can pick up as a deadly missile. Fighting is definitely not his desire, but he has survived a lot of bar fights. You'd be amazed what a well hurled cymbal can do to a rowdy drunk.

So, I've got the Street Sam and the Face covered. The links I put in a few posts back include vignettes that tell a little more about the character of these two. Bongo's stats are a little different now.

I don't know what sunnyside has planned, but other archetypes might be useful.
pbangarth
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Dec 1 2021, 12:25 PM) *
So if I was to run a game I've been thinking about doing a campaign called "Charm City" which would be based on Baltimore. I've got some materiel for it.

I'm getting the sense that this plan is having trouble getting started.
Electric Muppet
Oh 4th edition. How much I hate thee? I can't make a character I like/ feel comfortable with. I think 5th edition has ruined my expectations
pbangarth
QUOTE (Electric Muppet @ Feb 5 2022, 10:40 AM) *
Oh 4th edition. How much I hate thee? I can't make a character I like/ feel comfortable with. I think 5th edition has ruined my expectations

I don't know 5th at all. What is causing you trouble?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Electric Muppet @ Feb 5 2022, 10:40 AM) *

My last post was perhaps unclear. What is it about 4th that is giving you trouble? I've made lots of PCs in that edition.
pbangarth
This is an attempt to get the system to stop relisting my above post as unread by me. I think there is a sprite in the system that has it out for me, in a gentle kind of way.
pbangarth
Behind the Crown campaign (SR3) could use a decker PC. We have a shaman (on the run from Mitsuhama) and a bounty hunter (on the run from her memories).

Cool shit going on and things in the background pulling strings could be big and scaly.

Anybody interested?
sunnyside
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 1 2022, 12:44 PM) *
I'm getting the sense that this plan is having trouble getting started.

So I think I managed to fail a crash test on campaign starting on a couple counts. Mostly overcomplicating things.

1. Essentially trying to get myself to write a sourcebook for Baltimore, which I sort of have, but you know how fleshing things out goes.
2. Trying to figure out a hosting service for everything
3. Having issues with a RL campaign that got extra immoral which got to bugging me.
4. A second sourcebook for houserules.
5. Dealing with already existing characters that might have radically different amounts of karma. (I had at least one case like that which went very poorly. Luckily it was a one shot, but still.)
6. They'd also not be from Baltimore, and so would need to get there.

However I'm getting back to itching to play in the setting, so maybe I can unfrag myself.

1. If characters are new, you can get information piecemeal which might work better all around. Though characters would be assumed to read up.
2. Could just use dumpshock. Though you guys do seem to like to use a dice roller. I used to use: https://www.pbegames.com/roller/ but I'm open to suggestions.
3. Maybe slide some karma for code or something like that? Initially it might just be more the nature of your fixer?
4. Just go straight 4th. Except a throwback to where a spirits search power is limited to LOS. Spirits finding anything breaks many a plot. I have some requirements for characters, but have some freebies.
5. Your characters in particular aren't all over the place.
6. Might be fine as described above.
sunnyside
QUOTE (Electric Muppet @ Feb 5 2022, 11:40 AM) *

I do feel like 4th starts characters off weaker than previous editions where they'd be a stack of 6s and literally be a million nuyen man. Is that the issue? NPCs tend to follow the same trend though.
pbangarth
QUOTE (sunnyside @ May 26 2023, 01:59 AM) *
I do feel like 4th starts characters off weaker than previous editions where they'd be a stack of 6s and literally be a million nuyen man. Is that the issue? NPCs tend to follow the same trend though.

Wow. I've had the opposite impression, thinking that 4th made stronger characters. Maybe I just figured out how to min/max that system better. smile.gif

I'm happy with starting as a rookie. Both Quick Willie and Bongo Slade work best for me as kids just figuring things out.

I run two PCs in two separate campaigns here, one in SR3 and one in SR4A, and both use orokos.com's dice roller.

If we devolve to one PC each, I would prefer to play Quick Willie, as both of those other PCs are Awakened.
pbangarth
Willie let on the other day to Bongo that he was getting interested in 'classical' music. One of his new-found favourites turned out to be "Drive It Like You Stole It" by Smackbound.

Bongo, quick to catch on to the drift of Willie's enlightenment, amazed the young ork by giving an impromptu performance of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Down on the Corner". Especially gratifying to Willie was finding the song was about 'Willie and the poorboys'.

Big grin as only an ork can grin!
pbangarth
Will be away from computer from 31 May 2023 till 10 June 2023. Access to internet will be limited at best.
sunnyside
QUOTE (pbangarth @ May 30 2023, 09:41 AM) *
Will be away from computer from 31 May 2023 till 10 June 2023. Access to internet will be limited at best.

Vacation?
pbangarth
Yes. Jamaica with kids and grandkids. We will manage .... somehow.
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 23 2023, 02:26 PM) *
Behind the Crown campaign (SR3) could use a decker PC. We have a shaman (on the run from Mitsuhama) and a bounty hunter (on the run from her memories).

Cool shit going on and things in the background pulling strings could be big and scaly.

Anybody interested?

We could still use another team member. Join now!
sunnyside
QUOTE (pbangarth @ May 26 2023, 12:18 PM) *
Willie let on the other day to Bongo that he was getting interested in 'classical' music. One of his new-found favourites turned out to be "Drive It Like You Stole It" by Smackbound.

Bongo, quick to catch on to the drift of Willie's enlightenment, amazed the young ork by giving an impromptu performance of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Down on the Corner". Especially gratifying to Willie was finding the song was about 'Willie and the poorboys'.

Big grin as only an ork can grin!

You seemed eager enough I almost started an IC thread now that you should be back and settled in from your vacation.

But I'll start with a little OCC to see if there's interest. Adding more would probably be a TLDR situation at this point, but I have more I could add in later.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=42441
pbangarth
SR4A Free Spirit infiltrator/spy

I've played an earlier version of this PC in a face to face campaign.

[ Spoiler ]
JanessaVR
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 20 2023, 01:40 PM) *
SR4A Free Spirit infiltrator/spy

I've played an earlier version of this PC in a face to face campaign.

Not bad for a free spirit build, though I tended towards "highly mobile magicians" instead of "highly mobile thieves" as a concept for those free spirits I've built. Still, always happy to see SR4 stuff here. smile.gif

These days I've been tending towards humans who have a Formula Pact with a friendly free spirit that acts as pseudo Ally Spirit for them. They're starting to take the long view on investments and life strategies...
pbangarth
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Aug 20 2023, 11:57 PM) *
Not bad for a free spirit build, though I tended towards "highly mobile magicians" instead of "highly mobile thieves" as a concept for those free spirits I've built. Still, always happy to see SR4 stuff here. smile.gif

These days I've been tending towards humans who have a Formula Pact with a friendly free spirit that acts as pseudo Ally Spirit for them. They're starting to take the long view on investments and life strategies...

I went for a build I thought would provide a team some functionality not available to any other type of character.

The version I had played a while back in a face-to-face game was maybe more along your line of thinking. The PC had a little more firepower and even higher EDG than this one. Fewer other skills. It was all still available at the end of a run, where we engaged in a 'boss fight' (4 NPCs and 2 spirits in astral). I let loose with all the firepower and used up all the EDG in 2 or 3 combat rounds. It was ugly. The GM and we players sat stunned for a moment after the smoke cleared. If there ever were an example that could be used to support the argument that 'magicrun' exists, that could be it.

I think there were other reasons why the group never got together again, but I am not sure. frown.gif
JanessaVR
LOL. You actually broke the game. I would say that we've largely just embraced MagicRun but there's always at least a couple with more techie builds. We almost never have straight up Sammies, however, as Adepts are more popular in our group.
pbangarth
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Aug 24 2023, 02:46 PM) *
LOL. You actually broke the game. I would say that we've largely just embraced MagicRun but there's always at least a couple with more techie builds. We almost never have straight up Sammies, however, as Adepts are more popular in our group.

I burn with envy.

I've tried for years to get a live group to play this game, and have been stymied. As much as I like DS and the people I meet here, a face to face game is sooo much more fun for me.
pbangarth
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Aug 24 2023, 02:46 PM) *

Here's a straight up, Quick Willie, I am currently playing in the Charm City campaign. Part of his upgrade is a Cerebral Booster that took his LOG from 2 to 4. I'm having fun playing a guy who is suddenly understanding things and using words he never did before.

And he's fast! rollin.gif

LINK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012