Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hazard Pay now out! Arctic wastelands, space, deserts, deep sea, and more!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JM Hardy
It's high time we released a new sourcebook! Hazard Pay is out now (Battleshop, DriveThruRPG), and here's what it's got:

THE ENDS OF THE EARTH—AND BEYOND

Dark alleys, abandoned buildings, wet streets stabbed with neon light—shadowrunners know all these places. They also know that they aren’t the only places work gets done. A good shadowrunner should be open to anything, to runs that might take them anywhere. From the cold of Antarctica to the heat of the Sahara, from the life-filled dark of the deep oceans to the empty void of outer space, there is work to be had for runners brave and resourceful enough to take it. Of course, there are also dozens of new ways to die, so you should probably see if Mr. Johnson will chip in a little extra pay.

Hazard Pay takes shadowrunners into different extreme environments across the Sixth World, providing the descriptions, plot hooks, gear, and other information gamemasters and players need to use these environments in their game. From mysterious monuments under the sea to battered jalopies that just might make it into orbit without disintegrating, Hazard Pay presents myriad challenges for runners who are prepared for trouble and ready for anything.

Hazard Pay is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.
CanRay
So when are Freelancers going to get Hazard Pay for having to deal with the fans on these forums? wink.gif
_Pax._
Just bought the PDF of it, about to open it now. smile.gif
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ May 10 2012, 12:07 AM) *
It's high time we released a new sourcebook! Hazard Pay is out now (Battleshop, DriveThruRPG), and here's what it's got:

THE ENDS OF THE EARTH—AND BEYOND

Dark alleys, abandoned buildings, wet streets stabbed with neon light—shadowrunners know all these places. They also know that they aren’t the only places work gets done. A good shadowrunner should be open to anything, to runs that might take them anywhere. From the cold of Antarctica to the heat of the Sahara, from the life-filled dark of the deep oceans to the empty void of outer space, there is work to be had for runners brave and resourceful enough to take it. Of course, there are also dozens of new ways to die, so you should probably see if Mr. Johnson will chip in a little extra pay.

Hazard Pay takes shadowrunners into different extreme environments across the Sixth World, providing the descriptions, plot hooks, gear, and other information gamemasters and players need to use these environments in their game. From mysterious monuments under the sea to battered jalopies that just might make it into orbit without disintegrating, Hazard Pay presents myriad challenges for runners who are prepared for trouble and ready for anything.

Hazard Pay is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.

Can you tell us why this one costs $7 more than Jet Set for 2 pages less, and $7 more for just a few pages more than Corporate intrigue?

That's a 30% jump in price, for a digital product, in just 3 months.

I want the book.. but $18 to $25? For literally 2 pages less than the last book put out in Feb?
Bull
The PDF price is a percentage of the print price, and the print price is determined by a number of factors, but is largely determined by the cost of the book (writing, development time, and art).

I wasn't involved in either, but at a glance I think there is more art, which effects the production cost substantially. The word count may be different as well, depending on how it was laid out and the chapters break down. Again, at a quick glance, this appears to be much denser than Jet Set, since there's a lot of rules and history, as opposed to a collection of story hooks and plot seeds. It's also possible that Hazard Pay took a lot longer in development, playtesting, and proofing. All of those would mean the book cost more to produce, necessatating a higher price.

I haven't taken the time to actually analyze these, so i could be off base. And pricing and the like is above my pay grade, and not something I know much about. But Jet Set is a $25 print book, while Hazard Pay is a $35, for whatever reason. That's why the price is different on the PDF.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Bull @ May 10 2012, 03:40 AM) *
The PDF price is a percentage of the print price, and the print price is determined by a number of factors, but is largely determined by the cost of the book (writing, development time, and art).

I wasn't involved in either, but at a glance I think there is more art, which effects the production cost substantially. The word count may be different as well, depending on how it was laid out and the chapters break down. Again, at a quick glance, this appears to be much denser than Jet Set, since there's a lot of rules and history, as opposed to a collection of story hooks and plot seeds. It's also possible that Hazard Pay took a lot longer in development, playtesting, and proofing. All of those would mean the book cost more to produce, necessatating a higher price.

I haven't taken the time to actually analyze these, so i could be off base. And pricing and the like is above my pay grade, and not something I know much about. But Jet Set is a $25 print book, while Hazard Pay is a $35, for whatever reason. That's why the price is different on the PDF.

Yeah I noticed the jump in price for the print book too, but .... It's still a 168 page book that jumped a THIRD in price from one three months ago. "There's lots of pictures" Doesn't quite do it for me. If it was a third longer or something maybe, but it clocks in 2 pages less than the last one. What you're basicly saying is 'The quality of the material is better'.... but.... dude. Are we now going to see book prices jumping by 30% because they like what's in it more?

That's pretty arbitrary. "Same page count as the last book, but we think this stuff is more useful... and we put more pretty pics in (( which means less word count)) So we're going to charge you almost half again MORE for the same size book" ???

Doesn't seem right. $25 for a pdf is STEEP. Especially for 168 pages. $35 for 168 pages in hard copy is getting steep too. This isn't a core book. It's not even a 'thick' book. Nor do I think inflation hit so hard that the book jumped 30% since February, 3 months ago. If it's cost.. "Hey guys... printing is going up, ect ect ect, we've got to raise prices 5... maybe 10% to keep giving you quality product." Eh.. ok. But a 30% price jump with no explanation is hard to swallow.

I usually buy the PDF and then buy the Print later when it comes out, but $18 was steep for a PDF and no physical copy... jumping it to $25 and the book to $35, that's edging way out of 'hobby'. I can't speak for everyone but $18 for the pdf was already stretching me a bit... and the only way I can afford the print is off Amazon at discount. So I'd end up with about $40 going to Catalyst. This might just price me out of Shadowrun. Instead of getting PDF+Print every time it'll switch to "Print, sometimes if I really need it" Picking it up off of Amazon, at $25 or so.

I know I didn't get a 30% raise over the past few months. Anyone else here get a 30% jump in pay?
snowRaven
Alright - got this and had a quick look through.

I, too, reacted on the price, expecting something a bit closer to 200 pages.

In total, there's about 12 pages of fiction, from single-page to one stretching over 6 pages - haven't had time to read them yet, so I can't say much about the quality.

The book is divided into 5 'enviroment' chapters:

Protectors and Despoilers
- Deals with magical threats and eco-protective groups of various kind. Several protective groups are statted out as magic groups, which is nice. There are 20 NPC threats here, fully statted out, with stats, skills and other abilities toward the high end. Each write-up includes a list of bounties offered by various organizations, and requirements to be met for those bounties. Apart from that, there's no game info in this section.

Deep Sea - Deals with on and under water stuff, but doesn't have any game information.

Arctic Wasteland - Deals with colds, snow and ice everywhere. This section is packed to the bursting with critters, paracritters, spells, weapons, gear, vehicles, and tons of plot hooks (A quick count gave 63 plot hooks in 34 categories).

Space - Deal with, you guessed it - Space! No game info here.

Deserts - Deals with desert enviroments. A couple of spells and a piece of gear ids the extent of the game info.

Rounding it all up is a section on game info, adding new rules for extreme enviroments, space travel, and listing all the spells, weapons, gear, and vehicles found in the other chapters.
EDIT: CLARIFICATION: There IS game information on deep sea, desert, and space enviroments - but only in the Game Information chapter. Unlike Arctic though, there isn't much in the way of gear, plot hooks, or special rules.

Now, I haven't had time to read through the fluff, but each chapter has general sections on the enviroment in question, a section on what the megas are doing, and some additional things.

The arctic section is the only one with written out plot hooks, and the only one with new gear. It is also the only one with new critters, and has a lot of new spells where the desert chapter has two.

If the sections on Deep Sea, Space and Desert would've had plot hooks and some more game info, I would've said that the book was well worth the money. As it stands, it looks like the chapters were written for different books, and the Game Info chapter repeats a lot of the info on gear found in the Arctic chapter (for instance, in the arctic chapter there's a side bar explaining what stats to use for the weapons, and in Game Info there are full listings of all those weapons, complete with stats - the same also goes for spells and vehicles).

There's a lot of art, of mostly high quality. Some pieces don't seem to 'fit' parfectly, but that could be because I haven't had time to read everything thoroughly.

All in all, I think it's a good book, but the higher price tag, the fact that about 3 pages worth of info is doubled, and the fact that only one out of 5 chapters had plot hooks brings down the overall impression a bit.

Is it good value for money? For me, I'd say 'only just about'. I know I will have some use for the enviroments, and I love gear, critters and spells, but I was expecting a bit more crunch - or rather, that the crunch was more evenly distributed.
ravensmuse
I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here - more art, plus more "story seeds and information", plus more playtest time equals book is more expensive? Riiight.

I felt screwed when I bought Conspiracy Theories (elsewhere) and found a book full of terrible editing and barely there play mechanics. This just seems over-the-top.

I continue to stick to my rule to not buy Catalyst material.
CanRay
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ May 10 2012, 06:02 AM) *
I continue to stick to my rule to not buy Catalyst material.
So you're buying the German and Japanese books then? nyahnyah.gif
almost normal
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 10 2012, 09:33 AM) *
So you're buying the German and Japanese books then? nyahnyah.gif

It's one of those where both Battletech and Shadowrun were better with Randal being in charge of just Battletech. A large chunk of missing money and a new addition to someone's house didn't help either.
hobgoblin
Do the arctic and desert gear take into account the stuff already found in Arsenal, or are we getting the kind of apparent overlap that we got between War and Attitude (edit: or perhaps it was spy games. I seem to get it and Attitude mixed for some reason)?
Patrick Goodman
More art can easily mean more expensive. I'm not altogether sure of the exact numbers, but I'm under the impression that Peter Tikos got more for ARN than I did, for instance. This is not a complaint, by the way, simply a point of comparison. Pictures cost more than words in this business.

I've not seen Hazard Pay yet, so I don't know how much more art there might be, but yes, more art will increase the cost of a book. People ask for more art; this is one of the side effects. Not trying to justify the cost of the book since I haven't looked at it yet; just confirming that more art does equal a higher cost.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (snowRaven @ May 10 2012, 05:36 AM) *
Space - Deal with, you guessed it - Space! No game info here.

That's frustrating. I want to know the mechanics of dealing with a dual-natured critter when taken to a satelite (or even just on a sub-orbital) nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ May 10 2012, 06:59 PM) *
That's frustrating. I want to know the mechanics of dealing with a dual-natured critter when taken to a satelite (or even just on a sub-orbital) nyahnyah.gif

Mana void, Street Magic p119.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 10 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Mana void, Street Magic p119.

Oh sure, remind me to check a book I hadn't looked at in...geeze, I don't even know anymore...when was the last time I played a magician? 2nd Edition? Bleh, okay then I probably haven't read it since the book was released nyahnyah.gif
Halinn
I wish more companies would remember that the customers don't care about the cost to produce the material, only the price it costs to buy it.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Halinn @ May 10 2012, 11:48 AM) *
I wish more companies would remember that the customers don't care about the cost to produce the material, only the price it costs to buy it.

I wish more customers would remember that the former has a direct effect on the latter.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 10 2012, 11:42 AM) *
More art can easily mean more expensive. I'm not altogether sure of the exact numbers, but I'm under the impression that Peter Tikos got more for ARN than I did, for instance. This is not a complaint, by the way, simply a point of comparison. Pictures cost more than words in this business.

I've not seen Hazard Pay yet, so I don't know how much more art there might be, but yes, more art will increase the cost of a book. People ask for more art; this is one of the side effects. Not trying to justify the cost of the book since I haven't looked at it yet; just confirming that more art does equal a higher cost.

Thing is, "More art" shouldn't mean more cost to US. It's the same number of pages. "More art" means "Less words". We get the same page count we should have the same price. It's not like they have ground shaking, earth shattering, mind blowing, super amazing astounding art. It's RPG art. Some is cool. Some's very cool, but it's black and white RPG art. It ranges, some of it sucks. Sorry guys. I know someone drew it but not all the art in the books is good, some of it sucks. Now we're being told "Oh..... more hand drawn black and white pics. THIRTY PERCENT PRICE JUMP. That's an internal cost, not one that jacks a book 30% for every single one published. Come on. That's just silly. thousands of books at 30% more cost for a few more panels of art? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars are they paying out? Art pages have a flat rate. There's only 168 pages to the book, they can't put in but SO MUCH art, and a 30% jump for every single book is outrageous.

That's BS. How much MORE art can there be? And if it's that much MORE ART, the content must be severly lacking. If it was more art with higher corresponding page count you'd at least be getting 'more for your money' and while a 30% jump is high it might be understandable. This, we get less pages, more art and less content for almost half again more cost.

The review we have shows that there's parts missing from the chapters. The critters and gear are missing from most of the chapters. Axed for "more art"?. And the information we DO get is duplicated, in a book where we've experienced a 30% jump in price while maintaining the same page count? THAT really makes one wonder. Why duplicate information in a book and keep the same page count? Did some of that extra critter/plot hooks/gear stuff get axed for the duplication of the other stuff? Why not put it in there and expand the book another 20-50 pages to justify the bump in cost?

*Shakes head* I've not bought it.... at $25, that's too much for a PDF that costs them nothing to produce. It might be an awesome book but I don't think it's going to be 30% more awesome than the book they put out 3 months ago. I'll probably get it if I can get a good price on Amazon, but Catalyst is definatly loosing money from me on this. Not making more.
CanRay
Costs nothing to produce? Freelancers aren't the first half of their name, "Free", And there's their regular writers as well. It costs for the authors and artists. And the editors. Layout. Legal. Etc.

That said, if the quality doesn't increase in comparison to cost, then, yes, no reason to buy it. That said, I'd suggest reserving judgement until full reviews from folks who have gone through it with a fine-toothed comb have spoken up.

However, there is game rules and gear included, just not in the chapters, as quoting our reviewer:
QUOTE (snowRaven @ May 10 2012, 04:36 AM) *
Rounding it all up is a section on game info, adding new rules for extreme enviroments, space travel, and listing all the spells, weapons, gear, and vehicles found in the other chapters.
So that intel is there.

I haven't read it either, nor was I one of the authors. So what the hell do I know?
Halinn
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 10 2012, 07:50 PM) *
I wish more customers would remember that the former has a direct effect on the latter.

The counterpoint to that is that lowering the price increases purchases. When the cost to make a copy is almost nothing, the optimal price point for maximizing profit will usually be quite low.
Nath
I can't help but wondering, is the ancient art of how to make detailed table of contents definitively lost?
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 10 2012, 02:00 PM) *
Costs nothing to produce? Freelancers aren't the first half of their name, "Free", And there's their regular writers as well. It costs for the authors and artists. And the editors. Layout. Legal. Etc.

That said, if the quality doesn't increase in comparison to cost, then, yes, no reason to buy it. That said, I'd suggest reserving judgement until full reviews from folks who have gone through it with a fine-toothed comb have spoken up.

However, there is game rules and gear included, just not in the chapters, as quoting our reviewer: So that intel is there.

I haven't read it either, nor was I one of the authors. So what the hell do I know?

Sorry, but yes. Costs nothing to produce. It's 2012. The book isn't laid out on big light boards for the printer. It's produced as a PDF and emailed to the printer to be printed.

PDF is sitting there.... it's going to be made weither they SELL a PDF or not, as it's how they get it to the printer. So if they have the PDF anyway, they might as well make some money selling it. And they do. That's cool. My Ipad has over 600 RPG PDF's MANY of them are Shadowrun. I love my PDF's... but they're still DL content that costs Catalyst nothing to sell. As they've produced the PDF ANYWAY.

Now before you go "Oh they have to pay to host and to download"

Nope. Drivethrough doesn't work that way. Drive through takes a percentage off the top of the sale. Not prior. If you sell a book for $10 on Drive through they might take $3, so you make $7. But it's not like they charged you $3... an you wait to make the other $7. It happens when there's a purchase. Now you might not make all $10.. but as it's 'free item' anyway... and costs you nothing to sell... that's $7 of pure profit. Granted it's not $10 of profit but you're out nothing to produce it.

Those costs you mention "Freelancers, artists, writers, editors" ect... those get paid for the BOOK. The physical Item in your hands. They get paid. They don't get paid AGAIN if there's a PDF made. They get paid for page count and for size of art. They do not get paid one cent more if the company sells 10 books or 10,000 books. Nor do they get paid more if they sell 10,000 physical books and 10,000 ebooks. They get paid flat rate for what they produce.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 10 2012, 08:00 PM) *

Blame the english language that insist on mixing the concepts of no price and freedom into a single word.
almost normal
Go with Echo Chernik or bring back Earl Geier. Hell, use both.
Dr.Rockso
One of my questions would be
"How much of a value add is this if you already own Target:Wastelands?"
snowRaven
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 10 2012, 05:58 PM) *
Do the arctic and desert gear take into account the stuff already found in Arsenal, or are we getting the kind of apparent overlap that we got between War and Attitude?
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ May 10 2012, 08:53 PM) *
One of my questions would be
"How much of a value add is this if you already own Target:Wastelands?"

I think it's worth the buy even if you have T:W--a lot has happened in-game between the two--as long as you expect to use extreme enviroments in your games. It's not as good value for money as other recent releases though--for me, it's about the same value as Spy Games: enough to get the pdf and ignore the print.

There's only two pieces of desert gear I think, and they're entirely new (there's even a mention how there's already enough desert gear).
As for the arctic gear...there's some overlap with existing gear, but most of the new stuff seem different enough to warrant it's existance--there's certainly a bunch of quite useful new stuff, if you're planning more than a quick trip to the cold and ice.

I should also add that there's a new adept power (Maintain Warmth - not sure if that was really needed, though, with Temperature Tolerance already in existance)

Oh, and there IS some space-tech:
- an armored space suit with strength enhancements
- two space drones (one recon and one rescue/salvage)
- a new piece of cyberware (Freefall Balance Augmentor - advanced version of the regular one, useful in zero-G).
- a grenade launcher for space operations (with a multi-fire option to shoot at several targets at once)

And there ARE some rules for space in the general Game Information section (times for space travel; rules for solar flares, weapons fire, hull breaches, space movement...)

A table of contents could've been helpful though...

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 10 2012, 07:50 PM) *

Very true.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ May 10 2012, 08:18 PM) *
Those costs you mention "Freelancers, artists, writers, editors" ect... those get paid for the BOOK. The physical Item in your hands. They get paid. They don't get paid AGAIN if there's a PDF made. They get paid for page count and for size of art. They do not get paid one cent more if the company sells 10 books or 10,000 books. Nor do they get paid more if they sell 10,000 physical books and 10,000 ebooks. They get paid flat rate for what they produce.

Indeed they do, but the company has to price the book AND pdf so they get those flat rate costs covered on the expected total sales.

If the print book is $35, and the pdf $5, that may very well affect the sale of print editions negatively, reducing the overall revenue for the book. On the other hand, if the pdf is priced too high, fewer people will get both and that will also affect income negatively.

Selling the pdf is only 'free' if you expect to get full return on sale of the print copies -- otherwise, the sale of pdf's is included in the expected return a of a book.

Also, remember that they sell pdf's through both drivethru and battlecorps. Costs may be different on those sites. Plus, producing a pdf for sale isn't necessarily the exact same as producing it for printing only - there are features and solutions you can ignore if the only goal is to produce a print copy.

That said, I find $25 for the pdf a bit steep, and it will result in me likely not getting the print version.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ May 10 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Those costs you mention "Freelancers, artists, writers, editors" ect... those get paid for the BOOK. The physical Item in your hands.

A lot of people - I want to say "most" but I can't back up a hard number - will not buy BOTH a PDF and a Dead Tree Edition of the same book. I know I don't; I buy exclusively PDF, whenever and wherever possible, nowadays: I like carrying a one-pound eReader a lot more than the 60+ pound pile of hardcopy books I used to lug around to games. So, Catalyst got $25 out of me for the PDF ... they won't be getting $35 for the hardcopy. Thus, the PDF has to compeltely recoup my part of the "paying the artists and writers" thing.

I'm dead certain I'm not alone in that, either.

They get paid. They don't get paid AGAIN if there's a PDF made. They get paid for page count and for size of art. They do not get paid one cent more if the company sells 10 books or 10,000 books. Nor do they get paid more if they sell 10,000 physical books and 10,000 ebooks. They get paid flat rate for what they produce.

And each book - hardcopy and digital alike - has to contribute towards those expenses. Yes, PDFs don't bear the costs of physical production ... but they still carry their share of the writing-and-art production expenses.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (snowRaven @ May 10 2012, 03:55 PM) *
Indeed they do, but the company has to price the book AND pdf so they get those flat rate costs covered on the expected total sales.

If the print book is $35, and the pdf $5, that may very well affect the sale of print editions negatively, reducing the overall revenue for the book. On the other hand, if the pdf is priced too high, fewer people will get both and that will also affect income negatively.

Selling the pdf is only 'free' if you expect to get full return on sale of the print copies -- otherwise, the sale of pdf's is included in the expected return a of a book.

Also, remember that they sell pdf's through both drivethru and battlecorps. Costs may be different on those sites. Plus, producing a pdf for sale isn't necessarily the exact same as producing it for printing only - there are features and solutions you can ignore if the only goal is to produce a print copy.

That said, I find $25 for the pdf a bit steep, and it will result in me likely not getting the print version.

Yeah but the book prices didn't go DOWN when the PDF's started being sold did they?

If the book cost (( just an example)) $20
When they started selling PDFs (( again just an example for ease)) for $10

The Book cost didn't drop to $15. Did it? No.. it didn't.

Book prices are set on the cost to publish the book. The costs needed to pay the writers, artists, editors and printers. The PDF 'cost recoup' hasn't factored into book prices, or book prices WOULD have gone down when they started making money off PDF's. (( Which would have been nice))

They're now charging MORE for the SAME amount of book (( well 2 pages less but why quibble)), and charging MORE for the same PDF, a PDF that doesnt' factor into how much it costs to produce the book at all. Adobie has a 'Convert to PDF' button. Making PDF's don't cost anything, most especially when you send your book to the printer via PDF form.

Had the physical book prices have dipped and been reduced when PDF format had been introduced, it might have been one thing, but they didn't. And now they've jumped 30% and (( we've had no offical answer.)) the only 'possible' answer put forward is 'More art'. Inversely that means "less content".

it's not a price jump that has been adequately explained for me. They surely didn't suddenly start paying their artists and writers. THIRTY PERCENT MORE for the --exact-- same amount of work. Nor did the printer's jump 30% more to produce the same book they did 3 months ago.
Bull
I will note I was only offering up some possibilities, not offering up an actual explanation. Neither I nor any of the other freelancers are involved in the marketing side of things, so we don't ultimately know why any decisions are made.

Bull
snowRaven
Note that Street Legends is also $25 for the pdf (but it does have 16 more pages and more art...)
_Pax._
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ May 10 2012, 03:01 PM) *
Yeah but the book prices didn't go DOWN when the PDF's started being sold did they?

If the book cost (( just an example)) $20
When they started selling PDFs (( again just an example for ease)) for $10

The Book cost didn't drop to $15. Did it? No.. it didn't.

Book prices are set on the cost to publish the book. The costs needed to pay the writers, artists, editors and printers. The PDF 'cost recoup' hasn't factored into book prices, or book prices WOULD have gone down when they started making money off PDF's. (( Which would have been nice))

/facepalm

Let's say you produce a new RPG game. You hire two artists for pictures and illustrations, paying each of them $6,000. You hire three writers to actually churn out all the text, paying each of them $6,000. A layout artist is another $4,000. And finally, an Editor/Proofreader costs you $6,000. That's $40,000 in total costs. (Keep inmind, those are completely made-up numbers; the actual costs are probably higher in ALL cases).

You have to make $40,000 just to break even - and it doesn't matter if that money comes purely from PDFs, purely from Hardcopies, or from a mix of both. If you want to make a good profit - say, 50%? You need to take in $60,000.

If you expect to sell 5,000 copies of your new game, then each one has to bring $12 to you. That doesn't mean you slap a $12 pricetag on them ... not if you intend to get your book into game stores other than your own direct-sales eStore!! Because those people need to make money on the deal, too!

And even hardcopy books ... you know how the book trade works? I do; I worked in a bookstore for a while, in my twenties. Whatever the cover price is, the distributor gives the bookseller a % discount ... 30% is about typical, I believe. That means, the STORE is going to get 30% of the cover price. Oh, and don't forget the distributor, they're going to want 20% or more, too. Which means, 50% of the cover price? WHOOSH, gone, never gets into your hands. (Yes, PDFs have the advantage of one less middle-man. But it's not a complete elimination of this expense.)

Now, printing and shipping each of those hardcopies will cost ... let's call it $3 each; it's not a high-volume print run. So, each of those copies has to bring $15 into your hands. Your cover price will need to be about twice that amount, or $30.

Meanwhile, that PDF only faces a 30% "seller's cut"; $12 is 70% of about $17.

(Now the hard part: you have to decide how many Hardcopies you need to print, to meet that target of 5,000 sales while neither running out of inventory, nor overproducing and wiping out your profits.)

They surely didn't suddenly start paying their artists and writers. THIRTY PERCENT MORE for the --exact-- same amount of work. Nor did the printer's jump 30% more to produce the same book they did 3 months ago.

Both statements assume facts not in evidence.

Regardless, I'll tell you where the price increase DOES most likely come from: they don't expect to sell as many of these books, as they sold of prior books. Hard economic times are hitting EVERY corner of the global economy. That means we gamers are getting less inclined to open our wallets for "everything in sight". And thus, they expect to sell fewer copies of nay particular product.

In my example above, instead of 5K books needing to make $60K ... maybe it's only 3K books, with the same financial targets. That'll jack prices pr-book up, right there.

Yes, PDF included.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Bull @ May 10 2012, 04:13 PM) *
I will note I was only offering up some possibilities, not offering up an actual explanation. Neither I nor any of the other freelancers are involved in the marketing side of things, so we don't ultimately know why any decisions are made.

Bull

That's cool man. In one of my posts I accknowledged that. smile.gif
almost normal
Unfortunately for a PDF, it's a reality that the market isn't "What the consumer is willing to pay", it's how much you can charge for something they can just as easily obtain by stealing. It's my natural inclination to just get the product for free over the interwebz, it's only my fear of God that prevents it.

Still. I bought Twilight Horizon. I printed out a chunk of it and bring it to the bi-weekly game so that my players can read it without having to steal. Would the company lose any money if I just sent all my friends a copy of the pdf? Extremely doubtful. There's still a difference there, though, and it's a line I try my hardest not to cross.

Grinder
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 10 2012, 10:26 PM) *
Let's say you produce a new RPG game. You hire two artists for pictures and illustrations, paying each of them $6,000. You hire three writers to actually churn out all the text, paying each of them $6,000. A layout artist is another $4,000. And finally, an Editor/Proofreader costs you $6,000. That's $40,000 in total costs. (Keep inmind, those are completely made-up numbers; the actual costs are probably higher in ALL cases).

Your idea of a writer's payment are totally off (as in "way too high").
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 10 2012, 04:26 PM) *
/facepalm

Um.. .No. You'vve way way way WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY overshot there. You don't pay Artists $6,000 for a book. They're paid by the peices of artwork and how many are in the book, full page, half page or quarter. You're not paying $12,000 for art for a book.

Writers are paid by the page or by word. A 168 page book, taking off cover and title page, table of contents ect, you're looking at 160-165 pages. Thhen you take out pages for art and you're down to 100 -120 pages. Divide by three,
I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN, that writers are not getting $6,000 for 40 pages. Perhaps a couple of writers here can chime in but I really do not think they're getting paid anything like Six GRAND for 40 pages of game book writing?

Nor are you paying FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS to lay out a book. Nor are you paying SIX GRAND to proof read. Your numbers are inflated at every point. Do you really think someone is getting paid Six thousand dollars to proof read 100 to 120 pages? LOL You're paying a proof reader FIFTY DOLLARS A PAGE.

Your numbers are crazytalk. But I'll say they look impressive... So would they be if you said a BILLION dollars or a BAJILLION dollars.

You have to make $40,000 just to break even - and it doesn't matter if that money comes purely from PDFs, purely from Hardcopies, or from a mix of both. If you want to make a good profit - say, 50%? You need to take in $60,000.

Do you really think profit margins are 50%?

If you expect to sell 5,000 copies of your new game, then each one has to bring $12 to you. That doesn't mean you slap a $12 pricetag on them ... not if you intend to get your book into game stores other than your own direct-sales eStore!! Because those people need to make money on the deal, too!

And even hardcopy books ... you know how the book trade works? I do; I worked in a bookstore for a while, in my twenties. Whatever the cover price is, the distributor gives the bookseller a % discount ... 30% is about typical, I believe. That means, the STORE is going to get 30% of the cover price. Oh, and don't forget the distributor, they're going to want 20% or more, too. Which means, 50% of the cover price? WHOOSH, gone, never gets into your hands. (Yes, PDFs have the advantage of one less middle-man. But it's not a complete elimination of this expense.)

Actually they do. Drive Through doesn't charge you anything. They just take money off the top of the sale. So if you want $7 for your book, Drive through will sell it for $10. If you want $10, they sell it for $13. If you don't sell anything you aren't charged anything. (( Did research on this when Palladium made noise about PDF's being the EEEEEEEEEEEBIL))

Now, printing and shipping each of those hardcopies will cost ... let's call it $3 each; it's not a high-volume print run. So, each of those copies has to bring $15 into your hands. Your cover price will need to be about twice that amount, or $30.

Meanwhile, that PDF only faces a 30% "seller's cut"; $12 is 70% of about $17.

(Now the hard part: you have to decide how many Hardcopies you need to print, to meet that target of 5,000 sales while neither running out of inventory, nor overproducing and wiping out your profits.)

Which doesn't address my point. They did all the above for "X" 3 months ago... Now they need X+30% to do it now. For no added benifit of return. If you raise your prices by THIRTY PERCENT there had better be a damn good reason.

Regardless, I'll tell you where the price increase DOES most likely come from: they don't expect to sell as many of these books, as they sold of prior books. Hard economic times are hitting EVERY corner of the global economy. That means we gamers are getting less inclined to open our wallets for "everything in sight". And thus, they expect to sell fewer copies of nay particular product.

So your answer is, "They're not going to buy as many as they did 3 months ago, so we're going to overcharge 30%, to make up for losses, for the same amount of product?

Screw that.

In my example above, instead of 5K books needing to make $60K ... maybe it's only 3K books, with the same financial targets. That'll jack prices pr-book up, right there.

Yes, PDF included.

Not for nothing but one person above pointed out, "The book companies problems are not my problems" As a buier my problem is 1) being able to buy the book, and 2) Feeling I got what I paid for.

If you give me 5 books in a row, at 150 to 170 pages, for $18 (Pdf), then on the 6th book raise prices by 30%.... I BETTER be getting 30% more SOMETHING. And in this we're not. We're getting the same ammount of pages. More art only cuts it if there's more pages. There's not. if the book was 30% bigger, I'd look at it differently.

It's not.

They're saying I have to pay 30% more, for the same thing.

Why?

Why should I?

Times are hard all over but as pointed out, they didn't give their staff a 30% raise over the past 3 months that need to be made up somewhere. Nor has paper and bindings suddenly become precious materials. "Inflation" didn't jump 30% in 3 months.
Patrick Goodman
You make a good example, though your numbers are an order of magnitude or two off. Most RPG companies can't afford to spend $6k total for the text of a book, let alone three writers at $6k apiece for one book. They'd go broke. Hell, I know a couple novelists who barely got that as an advance on their first novels.

I do not kid when I say that we don't do this for the money. It's nice and we don't turn it down, but we do this because we love the game and feel we have something to contribute. It does not pay a living wage unless you can really crank shit out.

If I didn't think it would just make things worse, I'd post an illustrative example, but it would just make things worse, so I think I'll just shut up at this point.
ggodo
Anybody going to give some idea of what to expect in it? Particularly space? My teams seem to end up involved in space a disproportionate amount of time. How about a bit more in depth of a review? Anything that isn't math. I just got my degree, I don't want to do math for a while.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (snowRaven @ May 10 2012, 09:30 PM) *
Oh, and there IS some space-tech:
- an armored space suit with strength enhancements

Someone is bound to try and turn that into some kind of mech...
_Pax._
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 10 2012, 03:39 PM) *
Unfortunately for a PDF, it's a reality that the market isn't "What the consumer is willing to pay", it's how much you can charge for something they can just as easily obtain by stealing. It's my natural inclination to just get the product for free over the interwebz, it's only my fear of God that prevents it.

"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." -- Aristotle

It is not "fear of God" that disinclines me to piracy of game PDFs. It is simply an inclination to be a decent, moral, honest person. smile.gif
_Pax._
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ May 10 2012, 03:49 PM) *
Um.. .No. You'vve way way way WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY overshot there.

And I did state they were for illustrative purposes only.

Actually they do. Drive Through doesn't charge you anything. They just take money off the top of the sale. So if you want $7 for your book, Drive through will sell it for $10. If you want $10, they sell it for $13. If you don't sell anything you aren't charged anything. (( Did research on this when Palladium made noise about PDF's being the EEEEEEEEEEEBIL))

If DTRPG is charging a flat $3 fee, that wouldbe a major departure from the traditional way the book trade works. And since DTRPG is owned by a book distributor? That wouldbe very surprising to me.

Again, traditinally the seller asks "what is the MSRP?" ... and then takes a PERCENTAGE of that price.

Which doesn't address my point. They did all the above for "X" 3 months ago... Now they need X+30% to do it now. For no added benifit of return. If you raise your prices by THIRTY PERCENT there had better be a damn good reason.

3 months ago was exactly that: 3 months ago. That was THEN, this is NOW.

So your answer is, "They're not going to buy as many as they did 3 months ago, so we're going to overcharge 30%, to make up for losses, for the same amount of product?

Screw that.

Then find a new hobby and never buy a small-press publication - which most certainly does include all of the RPG (micro-)industry - ever, ever again.

Not for nothing but one person above pointed out, "The book companies problems are not my problems"

If the publisher doesn't make enough money, they stop making new books. That is, or should be, something you consider "your problem".

If you give me 5 books in a row, at 150 to 170 pages, for $18 (Pdf), then on the 6th book raise prices by 30%.... I BETTER be getting 30% more SOMETHING.

You have an absolutely collossal sense of entitlement, don't you?

Clue time: prices inevitably go up. In the publishing business, they don't tend to rise by 5% at a time - companies hold their prices at the old price point for as long as they can, accepting ever-dwindling profits. But eventually, they face a crisis point: either they raise prices, or they go out of business. Generally, they prefer the former over theltter. And typically, the price increase is a big "jump" - to a level they think they can hold onto for another long stretch.

Times are hard all over but as pointed out, they didn't give their staff a 30% raise over the past 3 months that need to be made up somewhere. Nor has paper and bindings suddenly become precious materials. "Inflation" didn't jump 30% in 3 months.

Maybe sales have DROPPED by some sizeable percentage?

Maybe places like DTRPG want a bigger cut of the action?

Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 10 2012, 06:09 PM) *
And I did state they were for illustrative purposes only.

Yeah but you also stated you thought they were alot more. smile.gif

If DTRPG is charging a flat $3 fee, that wouldbe a major departure from the traditional way the book trade works. And since DTRPG is owned by a book distributor? That wouldbe very surprising to me.

Again, traditinally the seller asks "what is the MSRP?" ... and then takes a PERCENTAGE of that price.

They do to. My point was for an example. DT takes between 15 and 30%. So.. knowing that as a book seller, if YOU want 10, they charge 13, so you get your 10 and they get their 3. It's an example. Not a direct pricing. smile.gif

3 months ago was exactly that: 3 months ago. That was THEN, this is NOW.

Very observant. Now. Tell me what's different other than 'Time has passed' to indicate I should pay 30% more for the same amount of product. Why have the prices on the book raised almost half in 3 months? Did all the artists die? Did the writers die? Is paper more scarce? I'm thinkin' no.... so please, show me why the book is worth 30% more today, than it was day before yesterday.

Then find a new hobby and never buy a small-press publication - which most certainly does include all of the RPG (micro-)industry - ever, ever again.

There's the sort of answer the fans and customers want to hear. "Don't like it? SCREW YOU!!! THEN DON'T BUY OUR STUFF! LEAVE! WE DON"T WANT YA!!!!" Some how I doubt that'll be the tactic that Catalyst chooses to endorse. As for "small press" It depends on how you define it. They just pulled in almost two million for a game that they were shootin' for 400,000. I don't concider that a small thing.

If the publisher doesn't make enough money, they stop making new books. That is, or should be, something you consider "your problem".

If they make LESS money because they OVER CHARGE they stop making books too. But again. I'm back to "Why is the publisher suddenly not making enough money, that they feel the need to jack prices 30%?" If X was ok for all of last year, and nothing has changed why do they need X+30% today?

You clearly are not in business as your replies seem to be 'screw the customer. They'll pay what ever we charge or we'll just quit and go home'.

You have an absolutely collossal sense of entitlement, don't you?

About MY MONEY? Yeah.. I do. So do you.

If I charge you three bucks for your lunch, today... tomorrow, the next day and next day and next day, then suddenly I go "Four bucks" and you go "But it's the same lunch it was yesterday" and I go "Yeah? That was yesterday this is today" are you just going to nnod and go "Oh your right. That was yesterday, today is today, here take the 30% raise in price for the same exact product?

Doubtful. Now.. the difference between 3 and 4 bucks is just a buck, but that's the concept. You might just pay it as it's just a buck, but you're not going to like it.

Now take it up to 18 bucks. Not exactly pocket change for most of us. And charge 18, and 18, and 18, and 18.... then suddenly charge 25 for the same thing. 30% more... are you just going to smile and nod like a cow and pay out with no explination or reason?

"Entitled"? It's MY money. Tell me why I suddenly have to pay a third more for the same product. Or... I'm not going to pay more for the same thing. "Cuz we said so" doesn't fly.

Clue time: prices inevitably go up. In the publishing business, they don't tend to rise by 5% at a time - companies hold their prices at the old price point for as long as they can, accepting ever-dwindling profits. But eventually, they face a crisis point: either they raise prices, or they go out of business. Generally, they prefer the former over theltter. And typically, the price increase is a big "jump" - to a level they think they can hold onto for another long stretch.

Cite your source. Show me where this is industry wide standard.... to hold prices the same then screw your customers to the tune of 30% across the board.
I'm not going to hold my breath as you won't find it. Books do NOT tend to jump that drasticlly in cost. Know how I know? I have thousands and thousands of books. I have over 10K in JUST Role playing books. My house is lined with book shelves along the walls, down the halls, in the bed rooms, in the bathrooms, in the basement. We've got big giant plastic totes full of books we don't feel we're going to re-read any time soon.
Have books gone up over the years? Yeah they have. Inflation does happen.

Does it happen 30% overnight? No. Even the blood sucking gas companies don't hit you that hard. A paperback book is about $8 if you buy it full price these days.(( noone does, they buy um discounted at walmart or on Amazon... that's why so many book stores are closing)) They were $5 when I was a kid. The inflation didn't jump 30% at one time.

Maybe sales have DROPPED by some sizeable percentage?

30% in 3 months? We've seen no indication of that what so ever. Even if it did, a short term drop doesn't nessitate slamming your customers in responce. Only a long term drop would justify that, and even then, you jump 30% you need to state why. From all indications though Catalyst is doing great in their own sales figures. They really DID just bring in close to 2 million dollars for the shadowrun game. They just revamped their website. They speak of how well they're doing and how well sales are.

Maybe places like DTRPG want a bigger cut of the action?

And maybe my action figures get up and have parties when I leave the room. There's no indication that they do, but maybe they do.

You can specualte if you like but it's just speculation.

People like Bull and Patrick? It's cool when they offer possibilities, as they're in the loop (( at least a bit)). But I don't HOLD THEM TO IT. as they aren't making the calls for prices or anything. They can give insight, but not difinative answers.

I'm asking "WHY".

Why the prices went up by 30% between one book and the next
Why should I pay 30% more of my hard earned money for the same thing I paid 30% less for in Feb.

I know that most people here are fans, but if you look at who started the thread, they all aren't.

You may notice how quite it is from that vector?
Darksong
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 10 2012, 03:26 PM) *

ugh, after 10 hours spent drafting responses to discovery motions I thought I would have some solace here. I should have known better!
Angelone
I’ve had it with these patchy satellite connections. Anyone that wants to pitch in and help me buy our own satellite, let me know. -FastJack

Maybe this has something to do with it?
CanRay
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 10 2012, 03:53 PM) *
I do not kid when I say that we don't do this for the money. It's nice and we don't turn it down, but we do this because we love the game and feel we have something to contribute. It does not pay a living wage unless you can really crank shit out.
I actually lost money on Safehouses, for example.
Mäx
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ May 11 2012, 01:55 AM) *
They really DID just bring in close to 2 million dollars for the shadowrun game

No they didn't, thats not Catalyst Gamelabs project in anyway.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ May 10 2012, 06:55 PM) *
They do to. My point was for an example. DT takes between 15 and 30%. So.. knowing that as a book seller, if YOU want 10, they charge 13, so you get your 10 and they get their 3. It's an example. Not a direct pricing. smile.gif

If you want $10, and they're going to charge 50%? Then settign the price at $13 will not meet your wants. 30% of $13 is $3.90, leaving you with $9.10

Percentages aren't interchangable in either direction like that. You'd have to take your target, and divide by 0.7.

Very observant. Now. Tell me what's different other than 'Time has passed' to indicate I should pay 30% more for the same amount of product. Why have the prices on the book raised almost half in 3 months? Did all the artists die? Did the writers die? Is paper more scarce? I'm thinkin' no.... so please, show me why the book is worth 30% more today, than it was day before yesterday.

I don't know. And, this is largely the point: neither do you. Neitehr of us has access to CGL's ledger books. We don't know where the costs have been, or are going. Yet you continue to assume that the price increase is unjustified. An assumption made with absolutely no corroborating evidence whatsoever.

There's the sort of answer the fans and customers want to hear. "Don't like it? SCREW YOU!!! THEN DON'T BUY OUR STUFF! LEAVE! WE DON"T WANT YA!!!!" Some how I doubt that'll be the tactic that Catalyst chooses to endorse. As for "small press" It depends on how you define it. They just pulled in almost two million for a game that they were shootin' for 400,000. I don't concider that a small thing.

In the bookselling industry? Print runs measured in less than seven figures are "small press". I would be surprised if any single Shadowrun 4 supplement got a print run of more than 50K to 100K.

Oh, and by the way? Shadowrun Returns is not from Catalyst Game Labs. Apples and oranges, Renraku and Ares.

If they make LESS money because they OVER CHARGE they stop making books too. But again. I'm back to "Why is the publisher suddenly not making enough money, that they feel the need to jack prices 30%?" If X was ok for all of last year, and nothing has changed why do they need X+30% today?

See that bit I turned red, there? Yeah: assumes facts not in evidence.

About MY MONEY? Yeah.. I do. So do you.

About my money, yes. About the price on a PDF to the point I start levelling implied accusations of unescused greed at a company, just because they didn't keep a product's price as low as I might have wanted? Hell no.

If I charge you three bucks for your lunch, today... tomorrow, the next day and next day and next day, then suddenly I go "Four bucks" and you go "But it's the same lunch it was yesterday" and I go "Yeah? That was yesterday this is today" are you just going to nnod and go "Oh your right. That was yesterday, today is today, here take the 30% raise in price for the same exact product?

In as vapid and empty-headed a manner as your strawman analogy describes? No. But I'm not going to assume you're "just greedy", either. I'll make a new comparison between the product and the price, and make a new decision as to whether or not I wish to continue purchasing at the higher level.

I certainly won't stamp my little foot, raise my little voice, and annoucen to everyone that I'm taking my little ball home, over it.

Now take it up to 18 bucks.

Don't stop there. Take it up to $300. If the price goes up by $100, you know what? I'll react the same.

"Entitled"? It's MY money.

But it's NOT your Book/PDF/etc.

Cite your source. Show me where this is industry wide standard.... to hold prices the same then screw your customers to the tune of 30% across the board.

The entire history of selling books. I have a book - it was my father's when he was a boy - with a cover price of $0.25 ... a book of the same size (more Novella than Novel) and relative print quality today? $5 or $6, bare minimum. And yes, the book is from the early 40's, some seventy years ago. But, book prices don't climb in increments of $0.05 or $0.10; they jump $0.50 or $1 at a time. That's just paperbacks, mind. Hardcovers tend to jump by larger margins.

I'm not going to hold my breath as you won't find it. Books do NOT tend to jump that drasticlly in cost. Know how I know? I have thousands and thousands of books. I have over 10K in JUST Role playing books. My house is lined with book shelves along the walls, down the halls, in the bed rooms, in the bathrooms, in the basement. We've got big giant plastic totes full of books we don't feel we're going to re-read any time soon.
Have books gone up over the years? Yeah they have. Inflation does happen.

Does it happen 30% overnight? No. Even the blood sucking gas companies don't hit you that hard. A paperback book is about $8 if you buy it full price these days.(( noone does, they buy um discounted at walmart or on Amazon... that's why so many book stores are closing)) They were $5 when I was a kid. The inflation didn't jump 30% at one time.

Actually, yes they did. They were $5 for a very long time - then they jumped to a range between $6 and $7 for a long time. Then, they jumped to $8. They did not go to $5.10, $5.31, $5.44, etc. They don't rise in small increments, they rise in jumps. Sometimes, yes, 30%. Or more.
_Pax._
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 10 2012, 08:51 PM) *
I actually lost money on Safehouses, for example.

You wrote Safehouses, at least in part?

I'm sorry to hear you didn't at least break even. I actually rather like that mini-supplement, as a nice tie-in for the Advanced Lifestyle Rules.
Critias
QUOTE (Bull @ May 10 2012, 03:13 PM) *
Neither I nor any of the other freelancers are involved in the marketing side of things, so we don't ultimately know why any decisions are made.

Pfft, says you. I've seen management at work back when I was a cubicle-jockey. Every decision made by anyone called a "boss," there's a dartboard or a ouija board involved somehow, I'm sure. wink.gif
Grinchy McScrooge
QUOTE (Critias @ May 11 2012, 12:23 AM) *
Pfft, says you. I've seen management at work back when I was a cubicle-jockey. Every decision made by anyone called a "boss," there's a dartboard or a ouija board involved somehow, I'm sure. wink.gif

Hrm. I apparently missed that lecture when I took Applied Management Accounting last semester.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012