Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changeling Abilities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Ok, this was a concept i was working on and off with and I started to wonder about the feasability. There are several themes of this character in movies and stories and there are drawbacks.

Lady Poison

Changeling III
Natural Venom [Ekyelebenie Venom] Interna Release
Retractable Claws
Defensive Secretion (can deliver poison?)

NOTE: Eyekebelenie venom can EASILY blind most targets and has a contact vector and a strength of 8. You need a 5 point quality to be able to have availability to the poison so we can say that this ability cost 15 points (I cannot see that you would get ANY poison above availability 12 regardless what the ability says without Restricted Gear quality.)

Normally Internal Release wouldnt be working by RAW as the rules say Spat or Exhalation but as the character has COMPLETE immunity to the venom i dont see why it couldnt float around in his/her body.

Pros:
Can kill with a kiss
A sweaty palm can be used to poison someone
Blood and other bodily fluids would be dangerous to anyone attacking her (Surprised vampire/ghoul)
Retractable claws would also be coated with the poison
Team can use character as a font of poison...
Implanted dartgun can be filled with bodily fluid as poison

Cons:
Can accidentally PERMANENTLY blind anyone
Can accidentally KILL anyone
Leftover bodily fluids can poison/kill people
Docwagon could deny her service (manages to blind doctors/nurses/surgeons as they work to save her life.
Teammates might be reluctant to help her if she needs medical help
A DNA profile can be rather easy to create after a short while.

Unbalanced? Dangerous to play? Fun?
Tanegar
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 16 2012, 07:53 AM) *
Can accidentally PERMANENTLY blind anyone

To the point that they can't get bio or cyber replacement eyes?
Neraph
Reminds me of Ninja Scroll.
Yerameyahu
I dunno if it mentions anything about the method, Tanegar. 'RAW', they're just plain Blind, period?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 17 2012, 02:27 PM) *
I dunno if it mentions anything about the method, Tanegar. 'RAW', they're just plain Blind, period?

Well, it just says permanently blind but not that you cannot get cybereyes - on the other hand, then it should say that people with cybereyes are not affected.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 17 2012, 11:46 PM) *
Well, it just says permanently blind but not that you cannot get cybereyes - on the other hand, then it should say that people with cybereyes are not affected.

Well not necessarily, just because you have cybereyes doesnt mean you wouldnt be affected. if the poison has an effect on your optic nerves then it still could blind you, as the cybereyes are hooked up through nerve optics still. Granted, you could them get them replaced etc, and perhaps they would have less of a chance of being harmed or a reduced effect.
Yerameyahu
My point is that (again AFAIK) it doesn't say anything about cybereyes/etc. at all. It doesn't say it *doesn't* blind people who already have cybereyes to begin with, doesn't say that replacing anything fixes it, and so on… right? So it's just yet another case of the rules having giant under-specifications that common sense can mostly ignore.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 18 2012, 12:32 PM) *
My point is that (again AFAIK) it doesn't say anything about cybereyes/etc. at all. It doesn't say it *doesn't* blind people who already have cybereyes to begin with, doesn't say that replacing anything fixes it, and so on… right? So it's just yet another case of the rules having giant under-specifications that common sense can mostly ignore.

::searches for the "like" button::
Umidori
Reading over the Natural Venom quality and the Chemical Gland bioware, while I do agree with the basic concept that Internal Release ought to be a viable option, I disagree that you could use it to poison somone with your body fluids alone.

It specifically states that it keeps "the equivalent of one dose in the character's body" for the regular interval version, and one would assume the same dosage for the reflex trigger variety. The key point of contention I make is that you can't apply a full dose with only a fraction of your body fluids. Your body produces "the equivalent of one dose", which then is dilluted out into your blood stream. How in the world are you going to deliver a full dose? You'd have to lose all of your blood.

Hence why I think they didn't bother to list Internal Release in the Natural Venom write up - when considering the manufacture of a Toxin to which you have complete immunity, there's no practical usage for dumping it into your bloodstream. If you kill a goon with a dose of naga venom, getting his blood on your hands isn't going to kill you too.

~Umidori
Glyph
The normal quality can be used with natural claws if you have those too, so if I were the GM, I would probably allow it to similarly work with cybernetic claws. I probably would not allow the character to have all of their bodily fluids treated as poison, and I would probably not allow a rare, exotic option like Eyekebelenie venom, either.
Mäx
One big problem in this, as Eyekebelenie is an awekened animal it's poison doesn't really qualify as natural.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Mäx @ May 20 2012, 05:57 PM) *
One big problem in this, as Eyekebelenie is an awekened animal it's poison doesn't really qualify as natural.

Just because the animal is awakened doesnt mean the poison is magical. And by RAW it is an available poison, albeit rare and require a quality to get it.
Machiavelli
And again...GM decision. ^^
Manunancy
You can also forget kissing someone, don't even think of ever getting laid out of virtual reality. You teammates are going to hate you too. Particularly if you don't tell them about it and the first to try first aiding you gets hit. And unless you're wearing hazmat gear H24, you're bound to accrue a lot of notoriety as simply coughing hard might lead to room-level problems and maids drop from handling sweat-soaked sheets or clothes.

Heck, your dirty laundry could count as hasardous material...

Probably on par with being an infectious ghoul when it comes to the problems it causes to interaction with others without endangering them.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Manunancy @ May 22 2012, 05:32 AM) *
Probably on par with being an infectious ghoul when it comes to the problems it causes to interaction with others without endangering them.

No problem - just be an antisocial Ghoul and you are almost a perfect hunter that just have to touch its prey. grinbig.gif
Umidori
What part of it keeping "the equivalent of one dose in the character's body" are you people not getting? This could simply never work. Like I said, you have to lose all of your blood to deliver a full dose.

~Umidori
Mäx
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 21 2012, 02:25 PM) *
Just because the animal is awakened doesnt mean the poison is magical. And by RAW it is an available poison, albeit rare and require a quality to get it.

What RAW would that be, my copy of Runners Companion atleast doesn't have anykind of list of what poisons are valid for the quality,
The Jopp
QUOTE (Mäx @ May 23 2012, 01:02 PM) *
What RAW would that be, my copy of Runners Companion atleast doesn't have anykind of list of what poisons are valid for the quality,

The RAW gives us the Toxins list in Arsenal (P84) for example or SR4 (Page 244). These list gives us 'toxins' and is separated from magical compounds so regardless if the animal is awakened the toxin would be naturally occoring in the animals in question.

That produces a naturally occuring animal toxin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012