Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would like to make this into a MA manuever
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Solstice
I created my own martial art to use with my current character. It's called kenjutsu and I know some of you are familiar with it. Well I was reading up on Iaido and Iaijutsu and I would like to incorporate that teaching into a kenjustsu manuever.

here is some background for those interested:
http://www.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de/~k2/bu...aido/node6.html
http://www.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~baba/iaido/
http://www.iaido.org/iaido.html

I feel that my kenjustu martial art is balanced and I would like to keep this manuever the same. I was inspired by "Kill Bill". I watched in the other night and the scene with the yakuza bosses really made me want to incorporate this.

Any suggestions are great as I don't have the CC in my hand atm. For background on the Kenjutsu martial art that I made just search for the thread.

Thanks.

*edit* this was sucessfully incorporated into the 3.5 ed AD&D combat system in the Oriental handbook if anyone is familiar with that.
Herald of Verjigorm
Just as a start:
Use of this maneuver gives an effective additional reach of 1 if successful.
To attack or defend in this manner requires a successful quickdraw test at the beginning and end of each. If the quickdraw is failed, the wielder either cannot attack (since you need a full complex action for melee and a single action to draw prevents that) or must use full defense as if defaulting to another skill (can use the other melee skill, or the kenjutsu skill, but still faces the defaulting penalty). If the quicksheath is failed, treat similar to the monowhip self-injury and the weapon is drawn until the character can sheath it with a normal simple action.

The benefit may be too small to balance the drawbacks as written, I'm not certain.
CardboardArmor
With all due respect, Iaijutsu in Shadowrun could be constructed as simply a high enough Edged Weapons (Katana) skill coupled with utilization of the quick-draw rules in SR3 in concert with a high Initiative character.

After the first round of combat, either though high initiative or surprise, it really loses a lot of its value as it degenerates more or less to standard swordfighting. At the direction in which iaijutsu has evolved, it has become more of a performance/meditation piece than an actual fighting style. Though, to be honest, as a martial art it's still fairly lethal.
Solstice
Basically the part of iaijutsu that interests me is the drawing and a making a single decisive strike in one fluid motion from a everyday position like sitting or standing.

I think Herald has the right idea. I was thinking of making this a high end manuever only available after you have Kenjutsu:9 or something which would effectively give the iaijutsu user a "surprise round" which I know doesn't exist but is used pretty smoothly in ad&d.
A Clockwork Lime
Maneuver: Quick-Draw. See the adept power of the same name. Works just like that, but only with a single weapon group you learn the maneuver with. Can be taken with any Melee Combat Skill as appropriate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012