Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Name's the Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ryusukanku
A lot of Shadowrunning teams never bother with getting a 'Team Name' but I get a feeling the majority feel that it give the team a sense of soidarity. Like having a band or playing a sport you're at your best when you feel part of a whole.

Just a few weeks ago the group my character is part of got summoned (in a blackmail-ish way) to a meeting in a nightclub.
We get there, and here's this 'police' sargent in civvies who turns out to be the go-between beween us and the actual Miss Johnson.

He has us all sit down, sets up the white noise generator for some privacy, then contacts the Johnson and says "The Shmucks are here."

In that moment one of the other players says "Hey! Our team has a name now!'

If that's true, and we're gonna be known as the Shmucks, I'm hoping we can at least add the word 'Mighty' in there.

ravensmuse
My group's called The Spooks because they do Ghostwalker's business in Denver he doesn't want people knowing about.

Ghoswalker - walker = Ghost = Spooks, there ya go.
CanRay
So far, you're the Schmucks that are 3-for-1.
Bigity
Never liked team names, always thought it was pretty silly.

Sports teams get names, or motorcycle clubs or gangs.

Groups of criminals shouldn't have easily accessible or known aliases.
BishopMcQ
Unless they're in LA with a PITO feed.
Udoshi
My runner group was called The Saints, because the team has a non-lethal policy, and we generally act like the only runner team with some goddamned morals. That was the hackers fault, who I played.

One of my best moments was sticking the ENTIRE team with my 5 point pacifist flaw through good roleplaying. And making the hitwoman balk by telling her that killing was wrong. Good times, goood times.
Darksong
QUOTE (Bigity @ May 28 2012, 08:18 PM) *

doesn't seem any sillier than "streetnames"

it's all about marketing!
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Bigity @ May 28 2012, 10:18 PM) *

If you don't make one for yourselves, you will eventually be granted one by the people who hire you or the press. Might as well make one before then.

It avoids things like being known as the notorious "Turd Burglars" after that job infiltrating the local waste treatment facility.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Udoshi @ May 29 2012, 01:52 AM) *
My runner group was called The Saints, because the team has a non-lethal policy, and we generally act like the only runner team with some goddamned morals.

Not the kind of Saints that first come to mind, guess yours arent from the "Boondocks" eh? smile.gif
Speed Wraith
Gloom's Goons. The only time we've ever had a team that had a name. They don't really refer to themselves as such, it is more of a nickname some of their contacts and the folks in the shadow community use to refer to them.

The "Gloom" in the title refers to wealthy-playboy/black-magician who put the crew together, Lord Gloom. The "Goons" fits because they're sort of the opposite of Udoshi's Saints. Perfect example, playing Dusk and a cabbie drives us into a ghoul ambush. Without even knowing if he set us up or not (and nor do we care), my character pushes the cabbie out of the car to distract the ghouls. Better you than me, right?
DarthSunshine
Our campaign team is "Called Shot to the Head" because it's like a catchphrase for us.

"Called shot to the head of that insect queen!" "Called shot to that White Paladin's head!" "Called shot to that Lone Star sentry's head!"
CanRay
I have to write up more about the "Ninja Mechanics".
Bigity
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ May 29 2012, 10:40 AM) *
If you don't make one for yourselves, you will eventually be granted one by the people who hire you or the press. Might as well make one before then.

It avoids things like being known as the notorious "Turd Burglars" after that job infiltrating the local waste treatment facility.

Why would a Mr. J invent a name for people he explicity wants as a deniable asset. I can see a fixer hanging a moniker, but even more I can see them just calling one guy and asking for his crew.
Sir_Psycho
All hypothetical, but I've always liked the idea of a team of ex-military augmented war-wounded called the Casualties getting together to perform their own Nightwraith incident style military fait accompli.
AStarshipforAnts
My first group's name was 'FoolProof', mostly because we always attempted to idiot-proof our plans and said that phrase a lot. Ironically, our plans were rarely that.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Bigity @ May 29 2012, 06:59 PM) *
Why would a Mr. J invent a name for people he explicity wants as a deniable asset. I can see a fixer hanging a moniker, but even more I can see them just calling one guy and asking for his crew.

I can see a fixer (or a team leader) fixing a name for one reason: Marketability.

Let's face it - players aren't going to be no name schlubs for very long, not if they're good at what they do. A team name is something to attach reputation to, and provides an easy means for a fixer and a J to discuss possible contractors for work. Plus, a good name can be both an asset and a liability; for an extraction run, you're not going to want to hire a group that calls itself "the Mother Rippers."
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (DarthSunshine @ May 29 2012, 11:52 AM) *
Our campaign team is "Called Shot to the Head" because it's like a catchphrase for us.

"Called shot to the head of that insect queen!" "Called shot to that White Paladin's head!" "Called shot to that Lone Star sentry's head!"

How... Apropos. smile.gif

Apropos of nothing, I use the moniker 'Seattle Knights' to refer to my gaming group, but so far they haven't done anything to get a name in-game yet. They're just those guys who live in an old junkyard and take in hopeless cases.

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 29 2012, 12:08 PM) *
I have to write up more about the "Ninja Mechanics".

Oooooh, now I really want to know.

I'm guessing it involves the skillful applications of Stealth group skills and various Mechanical skills, such as Automotive?
DuckEggBlue Omega
In my campaign the team formed a band called 'Snow Crash' as cover for a trip to and extraction from Denver, that became the focus of the game.

The band that is. They play Nuevo-Retro Punk Fusion.
VykosDarkSoul

I'm guessing it involves the skillful applications of Stealth group skills and various Mechanical skills, such as Automotive?
[/quote]

They will use....their chinese star.....to pick your lock....and steal your car!!!!!! and they could fix your car....without your even knowing it.....they are bad ass....
CanRay
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ May 31 2012, 06:20 AM) *

Find the story here.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 31 2012, 03:10 PM) *

I think if I ever get to play again, I'm going to have a Ninja Mechanic character as a Contact. smile.gif
Stahlseele
Monkey Bunch.
Basically, we are lowly gangers with 3(yes, three) of us deciding individually and by coincidence without any kind of communication between us whatsoever . . decided to go for Critter-Hunters.
Me with a Bow-Troll. One with a Mage or Shaman, i haven't really figured it out yet . . neither in character nor out of character . . and one Adept of some sort . .
Long story short, we decided to keep some monkey mongrel as our gangs pet critter . . it lives in the favoured watering hole, subsiding on a diet of whatever people are willing to pay for for him to try out . . so far, he drunk one dorf and one Ork under the table. And we got stuck with the name Monkey Bunch, because all of us smelled like monkey when the bunch of us came back in from that trip . .
VykosDarkSoul
I am thinking about dubbing my group (the group I am GMing for) "Analysis Paralysis" . Not only does it have a catchy sound, but its what ends up happening. 2 of my people are fairly new to gaming, and 2 of them are old hounds who have been gaming since 1st Ed D&D. The two newbies have a sometimes refreshing attitude of "Hulk Smash", whereas the old hounds tend to overthink things to death.

Thought it would balance out a bit, but it hasnt....yet.... smile.gif
Bazhel
Used to have a group called "Damage Inc." mainly because our main solution to problems was brute force.... or stealthy force.... or any other kind of force. Since members came and left it was easier to have a group name that the johnsons could ask for.
pbangarth
In the short-lived Shadow Wars would-have-been-epic campaign here on DS, our team, one of eight competitor teams, was called "The Mongooses". Lightning fast, vicious, fearless...yadda, yadda, yadda. Fitz, Boat Times, and (me) Lucky Eddie were the team to beat right from the start.

PS. Since we were the only team to post after the parachute in to mysteriously evacuated Rapid City, South Dakota, The Mongooses clearly get the 5,000,000 nuyen prize money.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Bazhel @ Jun 4 2012, 04:14 PM) *
Used to have a group called "Damage Inc." mainly because our main solution to problems was brute force.... or stealthy force.... or any other kind of force. Since members came and left it was easier to have a group name that the johnsons could ask for.

...and your way of handling explosives had nothing to do with it? wink.gif

(for those who have read my posts regarding area suppression with grenade launchers, eliminating evidence by leveling entire buildings, etc etc...Bazhel is the one responsible... grinbig.gif)
Bazhel
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Jun 4 2012, 10:23 PM) *
...and your way of handling explosives had nothing to do with it? wink.gif

(for those who have read my posts regarding area suppression with grenade launchers, eliminating evidence by leveling entire buildings, etc etc...Bazhel is the one responsible... grinbig.gif)

It was a perfectly valid delay tactic, i mean its not like MIT&T cant afford the repairs it was only one lousy floor after all and also... i mean big booms are fun.....
Beside that i actually think we have to go even further back then that for the origin of the name.

But hey i'll take the credit, or rather "Whisper" does. grinbig.gif
ggodo
"That Team With The Bear"

Our shaman took a delusion to think he was actually a bear shifter, and that his Critterform: Bear was his natural state. The best part was KE's utter disbelief at the all the calls of "Bear Sightings" in down town Seattle. By the time anyone showed up there was only an elf standing there asking for Salmon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012