Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To all GMs ... please help me out ...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
dandy
to make a long story short:

a player in my group is playing his character insanely stupid ... meaning he is risking his characters life every single time. trying to make impossible godlike actions. while some of his move are extremely cool (i applaud him for his in-game creativity), i am having a very hard time to calm him down. it's at the point that almost everybody in the group is already laughing when he is trying to explain what he wants to do next.

now, don't get me wrong. this group of mine started out with almost no roleplaying experience and i am very happy that they somewhat ROLEplay their characters.

the problem is that whenever something stupid happens to this particular character he freaks and starts yelling at the GM (me) why he suffers damage and so on.

i have tried to explain to him that jumping off a plane with no parachute is deadly. this player expect me (as the gm) to make sure that his character stays alive.

my question: how can i make him learn the lesson, that a TN of 18+ can kill him and that if he acts inspite the fact that his move is incredible stupid it can get his character killed and that i, as the GM, will kill his character if neccessary....

sorry for the long post ... i am really desperate here. ...
L.D
Kill the chracter. Next time something like that happens, just kill him.

Or, talk to the player. Get him to cool down or kick him out of the group.

Sorry, but I have absolutely no patience with players like that. You DO NOT accept that a player yells at you for taking damage. That's below low. You're the GM!

Remember the two rules of PRG:s

1) The GM is always right.
2) Should the GM be wrong, see rule #1.
Solidcobra
Just kill the stupid thing! rip his character sheet to pieces and tell him to go back to the character creation again.

Honestly, whiners like that are meant to play indians vs. cowboys, not shadowrun.

Explain to him that he is acting as if he was a 2 year old, use the example of the 2 year old who cries when he loses a Janken contest.... I think he'll get the idea.
shadd4d
Explain to him that if you were playing Deadlands, he'd be on his 4th character.

Seriously, explain to him that it is not the GM's responsibility to make sure your character lives through everything. Show him the episode of the Simpsons where Grimes grabs the electrical cables. That's stupid and he died. Explain that major stupidity usually = death. Why does roadkill happen?

Another option could be letting them read some of the fiction, esp. from Sprawl Survival guide. Convince him that boneheadedness won't conquer all. The section from the Companion is especially useful, as well as Corporate Download. If you've got it, try Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Real Life or Corporate Security. That put's hairs on the character's chest.

Try positive re-enforcement: karma works well but so does just candy. Don't make your players your pavlovian dogs, but show them that stupidity works less than 10% of the time. Cheers about getting some people into role-playing.

Don
Sphynx
When he complains that it's your job to keep him alive, tell him it's his job to try and stay alive. If death wasn't a part of the game, it wouldn't be in the rules.

Sphynx
dandy
yeah, i have thought about that. actually i was thinking something more like the EvilGM ™: make the other characters kill his character... wink.gif

but seriously, we are all very close friends and have known us for several years. we do a lot of stuff together (not only shadowrun) and somehow this person is acting so strange while playing shadowrun. normaly he is very different.

he has played this character for maybe two years now. somehow i think, that this person identifies with his chacracter more than anybody else i know.

for me a character is just a piece of fucking paper. if i loose it, i face the challenge and make me another one.

but this guy ... uhuh ...

his character died once. he quit playing. he said he didn't want to play a game where the sole purpose was to do crime. two years later he joined our group again, because another gm resurrected his char ... ;-(
Austere Emancipator
I have a player who always whines. I simply make sure he understands L.D's rule and, when necessary, I make it obvious that I'd be right and he'd be wrong even if I wasn't the GM.

If he wants to be stupid and never get hurt, tell him to go play some computer game and turn on God Mode.
tjn
Okay, I'm going to go against the kill the character trend, especially if you don't talk to the player before hand. Killing the character without talking to the player is quite likely going to cause a rift in your friendship and might split the group if you don't handle it with a delicate touch. However the attitude "The GM is always right" will do nothing but cause an escalation of tension in an already bad situation. GM's that resort to that rule should be slapped with a fish.

I can't give specific help, due to not knowing the specifics of the situation.

However it sounds as if he's a new player, and his outbursts sound simular to someone that views the game not so much as a storytelling tool, but in a us vs the gm kind of view. If he hasn't figured out there is no winning in roleplaying, he might need a little more education.

It could just be that the particular player just wants a completely over the top action adventure complete with Wire Fu. If this is the case, you may want to talk to him, see what he desires out of the game. Do the same with the other players, as I assume from your post they're a bit fed up with it as well. And come to him with the line:

"we're all here to have fun and enjoy ourselves, and I want you to enjoy yourself, just the stunts your doing in game is distracting from the rest of the group's enjoyment of the game. How can we come to a compromise so that we can all take as much enjoyment away from the game as we can?'

And it's remarkably easy to survive in DL. Rifles + Headshots. Most things are weak to headshots, and if said evil thingy didn't go down, RUN LIKE HELL.

EDIT: Seeing new post...

First thing, enless you have a deal going with the other GM, why on earth did you let the character back in?

He's way too tied up in this character. Perhaps ask him how he views the end of his character's story goes? Does he get the girl and retire off to some Carribean Island? Die in some poingant way like saving the team? Go out in a blaze of glory hip deep in spent shell casings? Find some form of salvation and "reform"? Sell out to the man? No one runs forever.

Perhaps shifting games so that he can't just play his old character? See if the group wants a breather for a while and explore something new? If someone doesn't show up for an evening run a one shot ganger story, or something else to get him to invest in a new character.

More information, the better we can help.
toturi
QUOTE (L.D)
Remember the two rules of RPGs

And remember the reality of gaming

1) There is more players than GMs.

2) While I have found references in many RPG texts about players having fun, I've found few if any that states that the GM should have fun at all.
Mimick
Yeah, there are more players than GMs. Oft times the players don't know what a pain in the ass they can be, either. You just gotta make them see things from your perspective - you can't treat everyone with kid gloves all the time.

Take a break from your game. Make your friend GM a few games, let him see what it entails. I can almost guarantee a slight attitude shift.

[edit]There's always the old "Well, your actions have pretty much ruined the game I had planned. While I could probably make something up to keep you guys going for the night, I'd rather go home and watch TV. See you guys next week."[/edit]
dandy
you guys are great.

ok, this is what i am going to do:

1. talk to ALL my players before we start the session about what they want from the game and what would make the game more fun for them.

2. i'll state that shadowrun is NOT reality NOR a game where you can win. it's purpose is to have fun with your friends.

3. people die. period. if they don't like it, they should consider playing another game or play with another group and GM.

4. make them UNDERSTAND that stupid actions (like in real life) may result in death and that i WILL NOT use "GODS HAND" on any player which death is a result of a stupid "i am the greatest shadowrunner which can throw impossible high target numbers".

5. deadly runs will be awarded with higher karma. stupid actions won't (even if they work out fine).

6. i am the GM. the time i have to spend to make a run enjoyable for everybody in the group should be considered as valuable as the time the players put into fleshing out their characters. i don't enjoy my npc's getting killed for no reason. especially if they are my johnson's and a carefully planned out plot which goes down the drain because someone wants to jump of a plane and headshot the cow from outer space while doing some some godlike stunt in the air.

7. sign here, either with a pen or with your brain ...

capicé?
toturi
QUOTE (Mimick)
[edit]There's always the old "Well, your actions have pretty much ruined the game I had planned. While I could probably make something up to keep you guys going for the night, I'd rather go home and watch TV. See you guys next week."[/edit]

Only to have your players say,"OK. Let's go play Diablo 2." and not show up at games the next time you call for one.
Paul
I play to my players. I engage them with conversation, and see what they want from the game, what excites them, what intrests them,a nd then I find a way to give it to them that doesn't suck the big one.

I have had players pull all sorts of odd and maddening stunts over the years-everything from trying to "Stealthing" (His word not mine) out of a room full of people staring directly at the character to attempting to sodomize and kill the other player characters. (Thankfully never other players.)

Sometimes what this guy needs, because in my experience there is always one, is a game tailored towards him. An off the wall idea I started playing with way back in the summer of 1990 was what I call Omnidome.

I take a map. I have them roll initiative. Lowest player places a mark wher ehe isont he map. Next lowest,and so forth. then they "kill" each other. Its a great way to relieve stress, get them thinking about the rules, encourage freindly competition and best of all only the winner walks away with a point of karma. Just one point. no money, nothing. It works wonders. It takes little time, and its highly customizable.(We add traps, opposition, etc...as warranted.)

Communication is the key, and honesty is the rule.
Mimick
QUOTE (toturi)
Only to have your players say,"OK. Let's go play Diablo 2." and not show up at games the next time you call for one.

Wow. Sounds like your players must really enjoy roleplaying games a lot. So why GM for them if you don't enjoy it? (that's what it seems you're saying)

Everyone has a play style, and the GM should be flexible and responsive to what everyone else wants, but call me crazy I just don't believe running a game should be a burden or that you should have to convince your players to, well, play your game and not to zone out in front of a computer for hours clicking on monsters.
toturi
QUOTE (Mimick)
QUOTE (toturi @ Apr 14 2004, 11:35 AM)

Wow. Sounds like your players must really enjoy roleplaying games a lot. So why GM for them if you don't enjoy it? (that's what it seems you're saying)

Everyone has a play style, and the GM should be flexible and responsive to what everyone else wants, but call me crazy I just don't believe running a game should be a burden or that you should have to convince your players to, well, play your game and not to zone out in front of a computer for hours clicking on monsters.

My point is that if your players are pissing you off and if you as a GM are not enjoying yourself, it is your damn fault. A GM is supposed to make sure the players have fun, a GM isn't a player, but a GM who doesn't enjoy himself really likes my sig (the second line).
Dalassa
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (L.D @ Apr 14 2004, 06:13 PM)

2) While I have found references in many RPG texts about players having fun, I've found few if any that states that the GM should have fun at all.

Actually most games I've seen now point out that the GM should enjoy the game as much as the players, why else are they GMing? Nothing is as bad as the campaign with an unhappy burnt out GM. Its a game, it should be fun for everyone. The GM should try to run a game that interests the players but the players also have to be sensitive to the needs of the GM.
Smiley
QUOTE (L.D)

Merely being a GM doesn't make anyone infallible.
Mardegun
Dandy

Sounds like you have the right idea, talking to them is the most important thing. Anything else is a waste of time. HOWEVER let me make one more suggestion that will help you and your players, particularly this troubling one player...

Tell them the points you listed. Emphasis that dieing is a part of the game, just like movies, books and other entertainment like this. Here is the fun part

1) Plan a run, a run where the characters get caught. Trapped them in a room that gets gased or they get hit by a stun ball ... something reasonable. Don't make a big deal about it, don't even say "You have been kidnapped!" Play if off like it is just part of the game.

Note: Any magically active character must roll for magic loss when at a deadly wound, stun or physically.

2) When they awake up, they are somewhere they have never been before. Perhaps they are in prison, but for some unknown reason they have all of their equipment they had before. Now they need to escape. Obviously you need to plan the different ways they could escape. You also should decided if they are in a group or in single cells ... better if they are in different cells, but still can talk.

3) Give them some time and if they don't escape, have some guards come by and take one of the characters. If the guards succeeds they take him/her to a torture room. Maybe there are built in screens in each of the cells, so the characters get to watch the other player being tortured. Note the torturer don't ask questions. Do this to each character ... eventually one of them has to escape

Important Note!: Before the run, like days before the run ask the magically active characters what magic skills, abilities, equipment and spells they have registered? Make note of these, because it is VERY important. Also keep in mind that unless a magically active character is sinless, they will be recorded as magically active.

Note: The magically active characters can only use magic skills, abilities and spells they told you in the above note. Don't explain why, just describe it that when they try to use those other powers nothing happens, they are being blocked some how.

4) Make the escape difficult and those who have been tortured are still injured, so they are the easiest targets. AGAIN do not go after the players, just play it straight and let them make the bad decisions and/or rolls.

Note: When anyone dies, pull them asides and tell them # 6)

5) Make several escape routes, but they all end in a 'tunnel with a bright white light at the end'. I know it is corny, but it doesn't have to uber cool all the time.

6) Then describe to all the characters this ... they are in a lowly light room strapped to chairs. They all are jacked in. If they don't have a datajack, they now have one.

note: For magically active characters they can accept a geas to get back their magic point. They character now awake and can easily unstrapped them themselves.

The door to the room is unlocked, there is a obvious camera in the room recording them. When the characters leave the room they find that they are in a building out in the country or even the barrens ... all that matters is that it is a dissolute place, which gives the impression of a waste land (Not the actually waste land, but make it feel like that)

Note: All of their equipment was tossed in a closet in a pile, but everything is still there!
Note2: If a character dies before they reach the white tunnel and you KNOW they can't keep a secret, don't bring them to point 6 yet. Wait until they all wake up ... I know it is hard, but you have to calm the player down and tell them 'TRUST ME'

Now within the week, let the player stumble across a really popular simchip of a Shadowrun group. Obviously the chip is of their group, but the characters have been alter enough so that people won't recognize them.

There you go! You have just introduced the players to loss without actually killing the characters. Explain to the players the clues.

A) They were captured!
B) The magically active characters were only able to do magic that was REGISTERED
C) They had their equipment ... that really doesn't make any sense
D) Tell them the company that makes the chip are a black market company called .. The White Tunnel and they specialize in these kinds of chips.

Now at this point you just created a villain and let the characters try to get their revenge. Heck maybe even have the villain try to capture them again, since their chip was soo popular. Maybe make it so that the only way they are going to get info (assuming they can't) is by being capture the third. Who knows it is up to you, how you want to write the story.

So what do you think? There are a lot of holes for you to fill in, but you get the idea. They run was really a test run to get the players used to the idea that their characters can die and there are reactions to every action.

ps: If anyone uses this idea, please post and let us know how it went! smile.gif
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Mardegun)
Note: Any magically active character must roll for magic loss when at a deadly wound, stun or physically.

Umm... no. A deadly wound is the last box on the physical damage chart. Deadly stun is the last box on the stun damage chart. You only take a magic test at a deadly wound, thus stun damage doesn't make you take one.
Mardegun
For f#$@ sake, I write all of that and all you have to say is

<insert geek voice> excuse, but on page 123 it clearly states that ...</insert geek voice>

If you want to state how you view the rules fine, but at least have something to say about what I wrote ... christ
lspahn72
QUOTE (dandy)
his character died once. he quit playing. he said he didn't want to play a game where the sole purpose was to do crime. two years later he joined our group again, because another gm resurrected his char ... ;-(

I know this story tooooo well...

We have had to, over the 10+ years my groups has played, kick out 6 or 7 people. This has been for various reason from drinking too much to just being a d*ck. Remember the idea is to have fun, so make sure everyone is having fun. If one person is ruining it then just kick them out or relocate and dont tell them. I had to walk of a session because i refused to play with someone who was a constant pain in the A** and was just a 3 year old.

As for killing pcs....

If you dont kill PCs there is no real danger. We have the "dead zone" at one guys house. I has about 30+ Character sheets on the wall. Most of the are owned by 3 or 4 people, but PCs have to know they can die...especially in SR...NO RAISE DEAD HERE.. SO just blastem, splat'em, drop'em, or smoke'em... Make it funny as hell and forced the PC to laugh at the incredible stupied move he made....Then suggest a New pc with a more rational mindset...

Dashifen
QUOTE (Mardegun)
AWESOME IDEAS IN THE POST MADE BY MARDEGUN ABOVE

My comment towards Dandy, despite (s)he seemingly to have come to a descision already, is not to kill the player but rather to let the player kill themselves. If a physad great leap 6 character tries to leap across times square and doesn't make it, they should fall to their bloody doom to get run over by taxi cabs that don't care. Okay, that example was dumb. Here's a better one:

I had a character in a mono-a-mono death match with an NPC. The character decided that they were going to jump over his oponent (the NPC) and try to land behind the NPC and attack from behind. Well, that's an Athletics test and a Use Skill is a complex action, so he doesn't get an attack this time. But, I decided that the NPC would get a surprise test. If the NPC succeeded, then he would get a quickness test. If both test succeed, the NPC would get to attack the player this phase. If the surprise test failed but the quickness one was successful, then the NPC would turn to face the player and they would be neutral for the next phase. If both test failed, the NPC would stare stupidly at the place the player was and get hit in the back. The player rolled their athletics, succeeded (physad great leap, IIRC) and so I roll my NPC's tests. Both succeeded, so the NPC attacked the player while the player was jumping. The player wasn't happy. He said that I was attacking him unfairly. I explained to him my logic and did my best to stand firm.

Make the PCs aware that their actions have consequences and try to make those consequences realistic and I usually try to base them off of the dice not just my judgement. That way it all has that element of randomness that RPGs are so much fun for (see Open Tests thread smile.gif).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Smiley)
Merely being a GM doesn't make anyone infallible.

That may be true, but it does make you the guy who rules the world. It is usually not worth the trouble to go through the whole whining-cycle to change a TN by 1 when a GM messes up his math -- it happens, both to the advantage and disadvantage of PCs, and the GM can always say things like "Didn't I mention it was foggy?", etc. He absolutely shouldn't, but he can. The GM has total control, because it's his world.

If a player has a problem with something the GM does, he certainly should mention it to him. Unless it's something asinine, in which case the player should just shut up and learn to use whatever passes as his brain. Whining is Really Fucking Stupid™, and there's never any excuse for it.
lspahn72
QUOTE (Dalassa)
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (L.D @ Apr 14 2004, 06:13 PM)

Those first rules i believe where in the front of Gary Gygax first D&D book.

Well if the GM isnt having fun why would he bother??? I mean really despite alot of misconception about RPGs most of us have a life that require our outside attention and adds stress. i dont know about anyone else, but gaming is my hobby time. Not to mention, if your a decent GM most of the time yo have more player than you need..If someone doesnt like the game then just quit. Me personally i am militantly based in reality when it comes to combat. My NPCs are not dumb, my villians do kill or maybe worse ( had a lich once that kidnapped children for undead), and i challange my players. You have to maintain control of a game or it turn into a mess. Most of us gamer are smarter than the average bear and have strong ideals so you cant push pcs around, but you cant be pushed around by the pcs either....

Moon-Hawk
The one thing that still worries me is that you said he's really attached to this one character. That happens sometimes, especially in long-running campaigns and with first characters. If you kill this character, he might decide he doesn't want to play anymore and leave for two more years, and purile or not we don't want this. I would suggest you tell him about your concerns with this character, tell him that you feel like the game has gotten away from good SR, and you intend to increase the lethality a bit, and stunts like his won't work as well as they have in the past. Offer him the chance to retire his character and start with a new one. Preferably the whole group will do this together. Sometimes it's good to get a fresh start. Maybe the old characters become NPC's that are training the new PCs or something, if you want to keep some continuity. I'm wandering from my point. My point is, if he's REALLY that attached to this particular character, maybe he needs a fresh start if you're going to be changing your tolerance for the way this character behaves. This whole character's personality is based around doing wacky stunts, and apparently those were appropriate in your game, since he's still alive. Whether you like it or not, you allowed such tactics to work, so they're an integral part of this character. If you want to change the game, I think you should give him the option of using a new character, one better suited to the new game. He's not going to want to change the personality of this character, since he's so attached to it.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope things work out allright.
Grimtooth
Now Mardegun you see why i hate posting on this forum

The minute you explain something that sounds cool or some type of ROLEplaying experience you had where the rules were relaxed or interpreted a different way the LAWYERS come outta the wood work to shoot you down.

AND your idea sounded cool. I did something similar just for fun to my players. They weren't being jerks or anything i just wanted to humble them a little and show them first hand experience with racism.
nezumi
QUOTE (Dashifen)
I had a character in a mono-a-mono death match with an NPC.

Quick nitpick, you wanted "mano a mano", that's Spanish for hand to hand. "mono a mono" is, literally, monkey to monkey. While I agree it would be fun to watch, its not something I've ever seen in SR (what skill would you use for that anyhow?)

Personally, I always support the random killing of PCs. However in this case, I'd have to agree that it really depends on what the players want. If none of the other players are getting annoyed, let him be invincible. As long as he's having fun and you're having fun, it's all good. If he is having problems, do try and bring him to an end he can be happy with. He sympathizes with the character, which is good, so let his character end how he wants him to end. Then get him to make a new character. This will help him get more of a sense of 'yes, it's okay to move on to the new character' without putting him through the mourning and shock of having his first character die.
Egon
If you feel that you can't kill him out right try just taking a piece of him when he dose something that should kill him. Take a leg, a foot or an arm off. if he is a mage maybe just mangle him a bit. Drop one of his stats a bit due to the injury.

As a GM I feel i shouldn't kill PC by mistake but there is no reason why they can't die. My player even seem to have a feel for when things are getting serious in the game and death pulls up a chair just in case. The whole mood changes and they real know they have done well when they make it out. It is like the moment the net falls during a good trapeze act. None of us say any thing, but every one at the table hears the thud.
shadd4d
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Apr 14 2004, 09:05 AM)

Quick nitpick, you wanted "mano a mano", that's Spanish for hand to hand. "mono a mono" is, literally, monkey to monkey.

It's actually Latin. Manus is hand in Latin. Just another nitpick, no offense meant. wink.gif

Don
TinkerGnome
Whenever he's about to do something stupid and likely fatal:
  • Warn him.
  • Warn him again.
  • Kill him.
I've done it. Works quite well for making a PC think things through next time.

[edit] Check the CLUE files for some good examples. Generally, if you hear a player say "It bounced off? Okay, I'll shoot it again." they're toast. Getting that second action is the Nice GM ™ way of saying "Run, run now!". [/edit]
Dashifen
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 14 2004, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Apr 14 2004, 09:05 AM)

Quick nitpick, you wanted "mano a mano", that's Spanish for hand to hand. "mono a mono" is, literally, monkey to monkey. While I agree it would be fun to watch, its not something I've ever seen in SR (what skill would you use for that anyhow?)

ROFL! Does the monkey have to roll to fling poo?
KillJuice
Players waste their night to come over listen to you tell a story involving their character. Killing them out of spite doesn't help anyone, especially in your instance where there is a friendship away from the table. Doing it would tell everyone that as soon as the characters are not to your liking, you have no qualms killing them.

On the other hand if the character is an idiot, there is little you can do but show him why. Explain to him Cause and Effect. If you botch insanely stupid actions, death is your reward.
Mardegun
Moon-Hawk
The one thing that still worries me is that you said he's really attached to this one character. That happens sometimes, especially in long-running campaigns

I have played in games where people have played the same characters for years (at least once a week). Heck we even played the same characters from one universe to another. In any case, as long as the GM does not cheat the player, the player needs to be matured enough to understand their actions. The GM needs to be clear and honest.

Now in regards to first time players or newish players, it is more difficult. I remember my first character that died ... I was 12 and I actually cried, because I loved that character. In order for me to accept this, I had to have a character die and face those emotions. Again as long as the GM is fair and honest, it will make things a little easier, but not much. If the GM needs to sit down and console the player, then do so. Remind them that it is a game and that characters actions must means something, good and bad.

Side note: The GMs feelings are just as important as the players, if not more. GMs put in a lot of effort to make a good game and the players should respect that.

ps: If the players don't want to be criminals, then run a different game. Maybe you run a Lone Star Shadowrun game or a Doc Wagon or any other one that works for people. There are limitless option with shadowrun, you are only limited by your imagination.
L.D
*sigh* Many people here seem to be missing my point with the two rules.

No the GM isn't infallible, and yes there are more players than GM:s. That's why the GM can make the rules. And the two rules are there so that the GM can say: "Not in my game!" Why? Because it beats having an one hour argument with a player when you could be playing instead, while the rest of the players are watching the two of you fight. Trust me on this.

I've been in exactly the same situation. The player was my friend, when his character got hurt he yelled and I wasn't having fun as a GM. And when you're playing everyone is supposed to have fun. I tried talking to him, but he kept ruining it for all of us. It came to the point where either he quit my group or I stopped GM:ing. I'm still GM:ing.

Now if a player sees things differently or interprets certain rules differently, then fine. Take it up with me between gaming sessions and we'll discuss it. But when we're playing then it's my game with my rules. This is because we're all there to play and have fun and it's not fun for anyone when you stop playing to argue about the rules (or some other drek). That why the GM can (and if neccecary should) be hard and don't take drek from players.
Arethusa
I've been here. I have been exactly here. In the last game I played, on character kept doing enourmously stupid shit. It was never cool. It was always hilarious and annoying. And he whined. But this was not normal whining. This was whining for the ages, whining that you sing songs and tells tales about— whining to end all whines.

He tried to "stealth" his way around a compound with Stealth 2. Failed. Got caught. Asked the GM if he could would be able to think up a plan to get out of this. The GM replied that, yes, it was concievable that he could. The player responded by asking the GM to do so for him. The GM declined. He eventually ended up 'acting drunk,' which for him was smiling, half laughing, and telling guards that he had a bit too much to drink. They professionally walked his ass at gunpoint to the nearest sidewalk and told him to get lost. When we hit the place the following night, I was the only one professional enough to wear a mask. He got on tape. They already knew who he was. He got his ass hunter. But it didn't stop there.

He went through the barrens during this time killing everything in his path and making many enemies, not to mention the gangers that were already after his ass from long ago. He decides to pay them a little visit with his shotgun. Is hiding. Decides it'd be a good idea to yell down to them to let them know where he is. Gets stunbolted. Should not wake up, but bitches for an entire day to the GM, who finally cracks and lets him take back everything he was doing. (I should not he also whined to all the players that the GM was being unfair, lied about what happened in an attempt to get us on his side, and ultimately caused a lot of other problems that are not the purview of this board.)

He eventually came back. We were working on a kidnapping (that's finding someone who got kidnapped, not actually kidnapping someone, you evil cads). He decides, out of nowhere, before we hit the place, to drop off chocolates to the family of the missing, who simply stared at him in disbelief with one hand on the phone to Lonestar. Thankfully, nothing went horrendously wrong, but this was mostly because his ass stayed put outside.

Of course, there are more stories of his asinine daring do— stories about how he stabbed other members of the team in the back, stories of other things he did that make no sense and were a simple pain in the ass for all to see, stories of the adventures of him and his shotgun and complete lack of social skills— but you get the point.

When you run into a player who attaches unhealthily to his character, who goes beyond immersion and begins to place his deepest wants, desires, and personal insecurities into the character, you naturally have a player who will do anything to win, to be the best, and to be better than the people in his group. And you need to put his ass down now. Tell him to cowboy the fuck up, that this shit will no longer be tolerated, and that he better start acting like a pro in game and stop acting like a kid with a gun out of game if he wants to stay alive.

Do talk to him. Do everything you were planning on doing.

But don't forget that you shouldn't be too soft, because he needs to get his shit together, that is not your responsibility, and that is the simple end of it.
Sunday_Gamer
These tyopes of threads seem all the rage these days =)

1) Explain to your playyer it's supposed to be a cool movie. Explain to him that his character constantly doing insane things is turning your Blade Runner spin off into Charlie Angel II and it's starting to annoy the director.

2) Slap him silly. By this I mean there are a thousand and one ways to make him regret his actions without killing him. Make him understand with pain, loss and ridicule. =) They always work.

3) If all else fails, smoke him. SOme times, people just don't give you a choice.

I recall a game where we had to go running into a building after one of our friends who just thought wandering into the bad guys head office would be clever. We were all in the elevator feeling like everything was going fine. When the doors opened, the mage maintaining the "everything is fine" spell stopped and the 12 guards asked up politely to step out of the elevator with our hands up. Which, we did.

The Gm clearly explained just how seriously covered we were. When asked to hand over his weapons, one of the sams tried to draw. What choice did the GM have? He shot him, shot him muchly. If he hadn't been able to drive the point through before, he had us quite convinced before the sams body hit the floor. Course, some of us already KNEW this had been a really stupid idea, but we had to go in after my friend, the dufus.

Sometimes, ya got no choice.

And on the subject of fun, unless everyone is having fun, someone isn't doing something right.

Sunday

Talia Invierno
At least two separate parts to this thread at this point, if not three. I address the core question first.
but seriously, we are all very close friends and have known us for several years. we do a lot of stuff together (not only shadowrun) and somehow this person is acting so strange while playing shadowrun. normaly he is very different.

he has played this character for maybe two years now. somehow i think, that this person identifies with his chacracter more than anybody else i know.

for me a character is just a piece of fucking paper. if i loose it, i face the challenge and make me another one.

but this guy ... uhuh ...

- dandy

The one thing that still worries me is that you said he's really attached to this one character. That happens sometimes, especially in long-running campaigns and with first characters. If you kill this character, he might decide he doesn't want to play anymore and leave for two more years, and purile or not we don't want this.
- Moon-Hawk

In any case, as long as the GM does not cheat the player, the player needs to be matured enough to understand their actions. The GM needs to be clear and honest.
- Mardegun

I hesitate to use the word "matured", but in two years of playing, that player still identifies to that extent with that first character? He absolutely refuses to play outside that first character, wouldn't play at all until it was resurrected? And his actions shift that drastically specifically in the context of stepping "into character" in a roleplaying game?

This strikes me as being more than a little dangerous.

Some people can be good friends, but just aren't cut out to be roleplayers. It might be that your friend is such a one.

The GM is not infallible, but s/he is the de facto creator of the world in which the group plays (or interpreter, if the group holds more strictly to canon). That's why, ultimately, the GM has to be the final say in rulings, and that's why the GM has to find some personal enjoyment in running the characters and events of that world for the players. Without that, there is no game.

Without players who are willing to play in that world, there also is no game. It's been said before and I'll say it again: the GM is not sole proprietor of The Game. It's not GM against the players, but a world of challenges for the characters to quest within, be it criminal runs or vigilanteism or even grayish action on the light side of the law. Which particular direction the game goes depends on the wishes of GM and players alike. In some cases, where it is only one odd player out, sharp, serious disagreement of game image may require that one player to be kicked out. In many, perhaps even most cases, some degree of compromise may be necessary by all.

But in all cases, the GM above all others in the group has to find the world s/he ends up playing within to be personally not only acceptable, but desirable - and the players have to understand that the GM's function is to evolve that world at least in part to give them challenges, life-threatening, some of them. Without the risk of real loss, what is the point?
There's always the old "Well, your actions have pretty much ruined the game I had planned. While I could probably make something up to keep you guys going for the night, I'd rather go home and watch TV. See you guys next week."
- Mimick

- toturi

- Mimick

The GMs feelings are just as important as the players, if not more. GMs put in a lot of effort to make a good game and the players should respect that.
- Mardegun

See player absenteeism. What I have come to realise, there, is that there are some players who find the concept of roleplaying cool, but don't see any need to prioritise commitment to a group within a roleplaying concept beyond the casual take-it-or-leave-it hangout: great if it happens, but lots of other self-entertainment options out there. It can be very frustrating if the group is divided between those able, willing, and eager to commit to a playing session, and those who see it as something to do when they don't have anything better (their evaluation) to do.

I did come to a resolution re the issue on that thread btw. I'll see how it plays out, the moment I can enact it.

The minute you explain something that sounds cool or some type of ROLEplaying experience you had where the rules were relaxed or interpreted a different way the LAWYERS come outta the wood work to shoot you down.
- Grimtooth

Easy, there. Different people play different games, and one would hope that on boards such as this one, there might be room for different povs. Not getting instant universally positive feedback is not quite the same thing as being universally shot down.
bahwi
1) Talk to him, let me know there are rules that must be followed and reality that must be taken into account. All you have to say is "Watch out or you're character will die."

2) Let him kill his player. End of story. Two pages of this thread is just a lot of drama that shouldn't be. The game I play in at least one character has been dying a week or getting knocked into the hospital. Simple as that. =) We're talking to the GM to turn down the kill level. The game I run has it's death level just turned up a notch.

3) If the player doesn't get himself killed and you really feel the need to kill him off, you have two choices:
a) Spontaneous Combustion Roll:
Body: TN 8 + 1pt for each idiotic action the player has done in the game
or, if you want to be more "fair"
b) Who could have put all that monowire over your bed / in your bed when you slept last night? Sucks to get 8 hits of 9S (or 8S, I forget which) when the character jumps into bed. You make the flavor text, have the character SO tired that they run and jump onto the bed. Ouch, no armor, mono, and plenty of enemies bring up explanation. Enemies do build up over time, and they run into each other. Players should get at least one or two enemies each gaming session, and a few find it very easy to give up (0 on the motivation shoudl be recorded, but not actively checked or used). And many will give up (3 weeks ago you got blah blah fire, he hates you know, but 2d6 (roll of: 2-5) he has a better job and his motivation is now 0. (6-9) has not yet gotten another job and is just as angry. (10-11) Has found an old cache of weapons and is looking for you even more. or (12) Has found you.

You can make that 3d6, or whatever. Ever seen a pissed off corp. sec who enjoys SMGs? Think they don't exist???? What about that janitor whose son had finally gotten successfull but was the target of your most recent assassination. The janitor who drives a truck and is looking for you? No big weapons, just an old pickup. Right into your house (bottom floor) or on the street, or whatever. With nothing left to live for (only son, dead, no more success in his family, wife, left him or dead or whatever).

Don't forget, as GM, you've got power.

And whoever said being a GM doesn't make you infalliable? A pox on thee! A pox on thee! (Kidding!!!) But for characters like that, sometimes the quickest and easiest way is possible. I had a character who was infiltrating an enemy base of a group of cultists KNOCK ON THE FRONT DOOR.

186D, resisted against body after we pulled out the calc. That place was out in the NAN desert built to withstand a small army seige on it. Cultists do drugs, are hyper, and ready to go. The guy, an old friend of mine for about 12 years (4 at the time) laughed his ass off and understood completely. He even wanted to roll! Got a 32 or 33 or something like that too I believe. =)

Sorry, maybe I'm just too angelic for my own good. =) vegm.gif

EDITED

Fixed my stupid Apox mistake to "A pox on thee." D'oh!
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (bahwi)
And whoever said being a GM doesn't make you infalliable? Apox on thee! Apox on thee! (Kidding!!!)

The term is "A pox on thee." Pox being the grouping of diseases that includes smallpox, chirkenpox and others.
bahwi
The term is "A pox on thee." Pox being the grouping of diseases that includes smallpox, chirkenpox and others.

D'oh! I knew that just didn't remember. =(
L.D
@ Talia

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
Bölverk
QUOTE (Dashifen)
I had a character in a mono-a-mono death match with an NPC.  The character decided that they were going to jump over his oponent (the NPC) and try to land behind the NPC and attack from behind.  ...he doesn't get an attack this time.  But, I decided that the NPC would get a surprise test.  If the NPC succeeded, then he would get a quickness test.  If both test succeed, the NPC would get to attack the player this phase. ... The player rolled their athletics, succeeded (physad great leap, IIRC) and so I roll my NPC's tests.  Both succeeded, so the NPC attacked the player while the player was jumping.  The player wasn't happy.  He said that I was attacking him unfairly.

Did you give the player any warning of the likely outcome of this whole sequence?

If I came up with what I thought was a cool way to add some description to my attack on an enemy, but the GM ruled (without telling me or giving me a chance to change my mind) that if I did so, not only would I get no chance to damage the enemy, but the enemy would have a chance of getting a free attack against me, I think I'd be unhappy too.
Cain
Look, it's obvious that the problem is the player, and not the character.

My suggestion is this-- the next time he does something completely stupid, let his character die. Don't look for opportunities to do so, let him kill himself. Be scrupulously fair and strict with the dice rolls.

When his character dies, let the player whine for a few minutes, then inform him of the Hand of God rules. Hand of God insures the character's survival, but *nothing* else. The character will survive to the end of the run, but the player gets to sit out.

At the end of the run, have him roll the dice to determine how long it will be until his character heals. Apply all modifiers fairly, and let the dice fall where they may. (Remember, after using Hand of God, he'll have no karma pool left.) Then, have him roll for Stress and Attribute Loss, plus the other Deadly damage effects. The character won't wake up until he heals to a Serious wound, so let the player see for himself how long that will be. (When he does wake up, make sure everyone talks about how close that one was, how his heart stopped several times on the table, and so on. If he's got a good Docwagon contract or was put in a good hospital, add a few choice pieces of cyberware-- a standard synthetic arm or leg, for example; or maybe an autoinjector loaded with antibiotics.)

Tell him that until that point, his character won't be availiable for game play. Tell him that if he wants to play in the interim, he needs to create a new character. Have everyone encourage him to come up with a new concept, to fill a new role that the team needs. He might whine a bit, but point out to him that he saw the rolls himself. He may quit or try to wriggle out of it ("Sorry, but your Docwagon service is only at Basic. That doesn't include automatic magical healing. When your character wakes up in a month, he can ask to pay a premium for it."). Don't let him. Make sure he knows that, at every step, it's his choice.

Odds are, he'll create a new character. This one might be as stupid as the first, but you can always encourage him into a new role.
Arethusa
Assuming you've kept the game's level of realism about the same throughout the whole game, the player doesn't deserve a warning. It's crazy and stupid in most cases, and you should know it without warnings from the GM to tell you when you've done something retarded.
D.Generate
Seriously jumping out of a plane wit h no chute = death I don't give a good god damn who this guy thinks he is. He's astroturf now. And that crap about yelling at you for taking damage he should just be smacked. I agree with almost everyones posts here stupid = dead no ways around it pushing you luck only works till lady luck starts shoving back and its usually with the icy cold hand of death. All my players learned along time ago that 1 man does not walk into a room full of yakuza and kill them all with a pair of handguns. Agian I would kill the guy and if he bitches about that tel him that he's no longer welcome in the group unless he drops his obviously crack induced roleplaying..... some people can't be saved, and its good to get rid of them early to avoid having a headache for too long.
kryton
People have been known to survive such actions. People do survive parachutting accidents and there's a stewardess I heard about who hit some snow drift and survived a fall. I'd make real consiquences to his character. His spine is irrevocably damaged and he's a para or quadrapalegic. There's thousands of injuries that could make him "hosed" I'd go that route. No reason to kill a character when a slow painfull life could be more fun. Make it so the character no longer wants to play the game. Add on some really nasty stuff. Maybe he's so messed up that the cyberware to fix him up will make him a cyberpscho so now he has to sell his soul to a corp hoping they can make him better. In reality medicine would see making him a fully functional human better than making him a vegitable.
Sunday_Gamer
On the subject of impossible feats actually happening sometimes, we've always had one last roll, when all else fails and we're screwed, we get one chance for lady luck to save us. We call it the "sprout wings roll". In all the time I've games only 1 person ever made his sprout wings roll, he had just fallen off a 30 story building. We were playing Hero system and he rolled 1-1-1 that is to say, a criticala success on his sprout wings roll. A vicious wing slammed into him from behind as he started his fall and it slammed him into the building and throught he window... he was hurt, but he waled out of that building.

Sunday
D.Generate
QUOTE (kryton)
People have been known to survive such actions. People do survive parachutting accidents and there's a stewardess I heard about who hit some snow drift and survived a fall. I'd make real consiquences to his character. His spine is irrevocably damaged and he's a para or quadrapalegic. There's thousands of injuries that could make him "hosed" I'd go that route. No reason to kill a character when a slow painfull life could be more fun. Make it so the character no longer wants to play the game. Add on some really nasty stuff. Maybe he's so messed up that the cyberware to fix him up will make him a cyberpscho so now he has to sell his soul to a corp hoping they can make him better. In reality medicine would see making him a fully functional human better than making him a vegitable.

Yes I know there are people that have survived such things but those aer the exception rather than the rules. And like I said you can only push your luck so far....

But I feel that if the player is being a pain in the ass why prolong it? Talk to you other players and see if they feel he is being a problem.

Really though players like that piss me off and make me not want to GM.
phelious fogg
I was once in a game where one of my friends got bored he was a gnome physad with strength boost.. he decided he wanted to leave the scene and tried to steal the riggers Westwind.. he found the door locked so he decided to just rip the door off it..

We all decided itwoud be better if he didnt play shadowrun anymore
Arethusa
Hey, I'm all for crazy things happening to save lives, but there's a difference between having this happen to you out of chance, having it happen to you ostensibly through chance but really through GM design as a reward or part of the story, and bitching to get it because you're entitled. That's really what it comes down to. Miracles are nice, but they are not something you are entitled to, and sure as hell should never be the norm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012