Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle Knights
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
ShadowDragon8685
Well, it's a notion...

Does anyone have any thoughts on what they might want to run, if that goes through?
UltraFennec
Well I've got MnM 3E right in front of me, also the Dresden Files books, along with a number of old Planescape books (but uh...would def run them in some newer version of that system), a decent collection of Pathfinder in PDF, Ironclaw (think Redwall or Kung Fu Panda but for adults and not kids), and if nothing else a game of Fiasco could be really fun, though it'd definitely take like all damn day given it's designed for one-shots, um...and more stuff I don't even remember in my various folders of games. And I suppose I could do MOAR SR but I'd be asking for rules references constantly lol. Haven't learned it yet beyond my own charsheet.

So I guess you could say I have lots of options/ideas.

EDIT: Also I have a few books for L5R 4E but...I'm iffy on that one and frankly the more realistic a game gets the less I'm usually interested when it comes to traditional RPGs. Could be fun or it could die horribly, who knows. Finally I also have a lot of nWoD stuff I've never used.

The more I think about it the more Fiasco sounds great actually.
Halinn
I'm not sure how well Fiasco would hold up for online play. Mutants and Masterminds, DFRPG and "MOAR SR" all sound like stuff I like. I'm up for giving whatever a go, though.
ShadowDragon8685
The way I had envisioned a hand-off-with-the-same-game-system going would be that whomever is the incoming GM takes over GMing duties and their character suddenly has a pressing need to be elsewhere, while the old GM can bring in a character... Who then needs to be elsewhere when it's time to hand off again. That would work best on a Run/2 Runs timescale, really.

As for the other things you mentioned... I recognize Pathfinder, I haven't played or read any of them, and most of them I haven't even heard of.

Ironclaw I think I recall hearing about... The typical Goon would call it "that furfag RPG," right? What's it actually like?
SeptemberAMonth
QUOTE (UltraFennec @ Oct 26 2012, 12:13 AM) *
Finally I also have a lot of nWoD stuff I've never used.
I wouldn't mind some not-Vampire nWoD.
Darkone
No clue on if I could run something or not. I've never tried to run something real time before. I really doubt I could do SR, at that.

As for that stuff, I can vouch for MnM and Dresden Files both being solid systems to play in. Specially since you can doctor Mutants and Masterminds up and run it as a gritty WW2 game if you wanted to. PF is lots of fun, though remember it's a 3.5alike, and thus you might want to doctor it up for something with more social work. Never done Ironclaw, L5R, or o/nWoD, though Mage sounds fun depending on whether its silly or not (overloaded toaster being more potent than an actual fireball nyahnyah.gif). I could also be upish for trying something else, as well.

As for other stuff...

Wild Talents and the sources for it would be cool. Progenitor just sounds like jolly good fun. Especially with butterflying the hell out things as, say, Tier 3s. Godlike for WW2 superhuman goodness. Nobilis is similarly jolly good, especially with some bizarre Powers. A 3.5e game using TrueSorcery might be entertaining too.

That's about it for stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

UltraFennec
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 25 2012, 11:25 PM) *
The way I had envisioned a hand-off-with-the-same-game-system going would be that whomever is the incoming GM takes over GMing duties and their character suddenly has a pressing need to be elsewhere, while the old GM can bring in a character... Who then needs to be elsewhere when it's time to hand off again. That would work best on a Run/2 Runs timescale, really.

As for the other things you mentioned... I recognize Pathfinder, I haven't played or read any of them, and most of them I haven't even heard of.

Ironclaw I think I recall hearing about... The typical Goon would call it "that furfag RPG," right? What's it actually like?

It's like most other RPGs, except that your characters are anthropomorphic animals. How much "animal" and how much "human" is involved in their appearance is kinda up to each group, and the art varies wildly. Setting wise the authors have attempted to cleave much closer to historical Europe than most settings, though without copying it exactly (the setting is somewhere between "pre-Rome England" and "cusp of the Age of Enlightenment" depending on where you go.

RP-wise...I'll crib from the Host chapter: "a fantasy setting in an Age of Reason, where technology coexists (insert by me: in limited form) with fantastic wizardry. There are ancient ruins and forgotten mysteries from the past. Material wealth is important, but not as important as social status and family bonds. People pledge to serve other people or their religion, rarely abstract causes or ideals. Cruelty is rampant; many live in deplorable conditions and can see no escape from their lot in life. Might makes right-the strong abuse the weak. Dozenz of races (actually species, Ed. note by me again) mingle together, and their differences often dictate their role in society.

"Keep it personal. Ironclaw's setting is about a struggle between people of ambition, who will often do anything to achieve their goals, sacrificing their social roles, their positions, even their friends and family, sometimes even their own lives."

Game-wise it's a mite simpler than a lot of RPGs, but not as simple as a story game. It doesn't take forever to pick up but it IS different from a lot of games so there's a gentle learning curve while you work the ins and outs of the system. Also the book has some editing awkwardness. Not as bad as most Exalted books...but in other ways worse lol. There's just some stuff that the author thought was OBVIOUS I guess so he didn't need to explain it.
ShadowDragon8685
As of Saturday, April 16, 2072, the group's trail had seemingly gone cold, but with a number of fantastic Data Search rolls by the group, you discovered that the old man you were looking for, Meisho Satto, was travelling north, and in a surprise (to the GM) twist, Alex summoned up a big old Spirit and had it Spirit Search for him, locating him after a few hours of searching.

The group then collected themselves, and one passenger: Mara Barret, of course - and drove to Everett, where Satto was reported to be sleeping.

Your group had a small encounter with a couple of Lone Star officers in a patrol car, and though the rookie went all jack-booted thug on you, including obviously racially profiling Brick and Mara, everyone managed to keep cool and their SINs passed. In a last ditch effort to make a bust, any kind of bust, he tried to claim that since Mara wasn't in the vehicle because he had ordered her out to search her, she was a teenager on the streets at night and subject to curfew, but the older officer yelled at him and told him to get his ass back in the car. Then he climbed up into the truck, apologized for the rookie's behavior, and asked you kindly not to report it, since he'd then have to explain things to the lieutenant and file paperwork, and there's nothing in the world he dislikes more than paperwork. The group agreed, though Angel was already planning to post the encounter to ShadowSEA.

The group then proceeded onward, and found Meisho Satto. He thought Angel had come to kill him, but when she turned out not to have, he agreed to tell her what he knew.

Here is the full, raw log of that encounter.

The highlights are as follows: Angel was born in 2048, making her 24 years old. In 2061, the Year of the Comet, she was affected with SURGE, thus explaining all of her oddities; the magnetic field-sensitive hair, magnesense and electrosense, her Glamour power, and, yes, the Neoteny.

Her parents are called Richard Links, a human polymath, and Megan O'Farrell, an elf polyglot expatriate from Tir na nÓg, both university professors at King's College in London. (This also explains why she speaks English with a British accent, and Sperethiel with a Tir na nÓg accent.)

Proteus AG began research on her, under reasonably guarded terms, in 2061, but by 2063, after it became medically obvious that Emilie had ceased to age (being a 15-year-old girl who was unchanged physically since the Year of the Comet,) she and her parents gave them permission to study her as thoroughly as they could, to figure out how to cure her Neoteny.

In 2064, she was in a Proteus extraterritorial facility when the Crash hit. The records had been wiped out, there was no listing of her SIN in the UK's national databases. They did what any responsible megacorp would do; they seized the goods and ran. They told Emilie her parents were dead, and had her flown to Hamburg. They told Emilie's parents - who were very much not dead - that she had died when a large section of their facility had suffered a tragic accident, and in the chaos and confusion her body had been cremated with so many others' corpses.

Her parents never believed this load of bollocks, and according to Satto, they've never stopped looking for her.

Satto - a Horizon employee - comes into the picture in 2069, when Horizon, Zeiss, and Proteus come up with a nifty idea: the Head-Start augmentation suite for the youngsters of exceptionally wealthy people; a complete suite of useful augments, designed to allow them to do everything from protect themselves in an emergency, to excel at their coursework, to escape, evade, or talk their way out of a kidnapping attempt, and generally to give them a complete and overwhelming advantage over their less-advantaged peers.

Satto was chosen to head the project, but he was so concerned with the welfare and state of the test subjects that he asked to be given direct oversight of them, and let someone else take over project direction. Enter Proteus hotshot Sal Rue, recently back from a long vacation in Japan, where he wound up converting to Shinto.

The problem with this, of course, is that Sal Rue is a pedophile. Giving him direction of the project is rather akin to selling the farm to the fox. According to Satto, he molested Angelrat three times, though stopped before it proceeded to outright rape, mostly because of her Glamour, Pheremones, and ability to convince him not to. The fourth time he wasn't deterred, but luckily, Satto couldn't sleep that night and he intervened just in time.

Satto ordered Rue to cease his shameful behavior, which would bring grave dishonor on himself, his family, and their companies. Rue agreed; and demanded that they evidence be gotten rid of. Satto was taken aback, but agreed as well, in the heat of the moment, but insisted that murdering Angel was out of the question. So they decided to make it look like one of her frequent escape attempts had succeeded; Proteus provided the Laés and transport, Angelrat was dosed with enough Laés to remove the last year, hoping to remove all memory of Sal Rue, but the massive overdose triggered general amnesia.

The rest, of course, is known to you; Angelrat was delivered to the junkyard's doorstep, and Satto decided to stay in Seattle rather than return to Europe.

The game ended early on Sunday, April 17, 2072, with the group resolving that Sal Rue needed to die, but that he was beyond their reach as of yet, and deciding to table that while they accumulated wealth and power, and waffles and pancakes. Breakfast was in order.

Everyone receives two Karma. Angelrat has discovered her Seeeeekrit Past earlier than expected, and receives an additional two Karma.

He also provided a full list of the augmentations Angelrat has undergone, and frankly it reads like a minor-league transhumanist's play-book. It's up to Angel whether or not to share this with the rest of the group. Here is the full list.

Angelrat's file from Proteus, which was evidently given to Satto only when he went to dispose of her, contains quite a lot of information, including the current whereabouts of her parents and a note that it could cost the company a lot of money if they ever had to pay her royalties on the Magnesense augmentation they engineered from her SURGE mutations. Notions of simply having her parents assassinated have been rejected, as it would obviously point to them and lend credence to their vocally-held belief that their daughter was stolen by Proteus, and the utterly unknown status of Megan O'Farrell's contacts within Tir na nÓg.
ShadowDragon8685
Anyway, as far as switch-offs go, while Ironclaw looks like a reasonably interesting setting, it has one of those dice systems like the one from the Firefly RPG, and I loathe those.

Personally, if anyone's gonna do anything, I'd rather it were Shadowrun, D&D 3.5, or Pathfinder.
AngelRat
I'm not really available to run anything at the moment, I fear. I don't mind new systems, but I'm very familiar with Shadowrun and Pathfinder; I've no preference for either of those, at the moment.
Halinn
UltraFennec, here's an idea. Run that lovely dragon Shadowrun campaign we've all wanted (and by all, that's mostly DarkOne and me, I guess).
ShadowDragon8685
Hahahaha. That's an idea. smile.gif
AngelRat
IC: Posts from Angel

Connecting ShadowSea VPN …
… Matrix Access ID Spoofed.
… Encryption Keys Generated.
… Connected to Routers.
> Login
> Enter Passcode

Welcome to ShadowSea, Angelrat! The time is 17 April, 2072 0638 PST

>> Create New Post (tags: KE, Brackhaven, driving while goblin)

<Post Begins>

So, this happened in Everett this morning.

<Description: AV clip of a group of folks in a big truck getting pulled over by a KE patrol car. All the faces are blurred, and names are scrambled. The rookie begins obviously racially profiling a troll and an ork, but everyone keeps calm and watches their SINs get run through the databases. The rookie tries to claim that since the ork wasn't in the vehicle because he had ordered her out to search her, she was a teenager on the streets at night and subject to curfew, but the older officer yelled at him and told him to get his ass back in the car. The vet climbs up into the truck, apologizes for the rookie's behavior, and asks you kindly not to report it, since he'd then have to explain things to the lieutenant and file paperwork, and there's nothing in the world he dislikes more than paperwork.>

I get that this isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence; I didn't wake up yesterday, you know. That being said, I can see Brackhaven firing one police corp, knowing that taking a new one on would force a massive hiring frenzy, and allow him to flood the police force with folks who are sympathetic to his racial leanings. Or, I could just be reading too much into things. Which is why I come to you folks.

Perhaps you have evidence to support this, or to say I'm just a wacked-out paranoid kid. By all means, share what you have here. If half the police force in Seattle is going to belong to Humanis, though, I'd like to know beforehand, as it could make things uncomfortable for metahumans in the shadows. (Or everywhere, really, but tend your own yard first.)

<Post Ends>

>>Create New Post (tags: Proteus personnel)

<Post Begins>

Looking for info on a Proteus project manager, Mr. Rue. He was in SE Asia about 10 years ago, and was transferred to a project in Hamburg within the last three years. Please contact privately at your convenience. Time is not currently an issue. Will renumerate based on quality of new information.

<Post Ends>

>>Reply to Post: AAAUGGHH, THE TEDDY MONSTERS!

<Reply Begins>

Thank you for the tip, SteelKirby! I'd just started running my new emotion software when my crew and I got back to base, and had a minor freakout as everyone turned into either giant cutesy teddy bears or blue-skinned demon monsters! Altering the regional coding cleared that issue right up. (Side note: <video clip of an urban ork saying, "Damn, Japan, why you gotta be so freaky?!">)

<End Reply>

> Logout
… Disconnected successfully
AngelRat
Oh right, funds disbursement. I forget the exact amount, so I hope there's no issues if I round the take to 17k nuyen.

Angel will distribute 2500 to each member of the group, and claim the remainder for herself to cover expenses.
ShadowDragon8685
Is someone going to be crazy enough to run a Dragon campaign? Because that would be sicknasty silly and awesome.

Especially if we all wind up with Amnesia 10 points (or greater.) nyahnyah.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 3 2012, 01:29 AM) *
Is someone going to be crazy enough to run a Dragon campaign? Because that would be sicknasty silly and awesome.

Especially if we all wind up with Amnesia 10 points (or greater.) nyahnyah.gif

By now I almost want it enough to pause the main campaign to play that instead. Almost.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, we're at a reasonably good pausing point... smile.gif
Halinn
So what's the plan for today? Character creation for dragons? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012