Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AI in an Akiyama
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
OK, so a new player is joining a group (actually the dwarf technomancer's player's girlfriend, who has been sitting in the whole time). After some discussion, we've settled on a character concept: e-ghost in an Akiyama assassin drone.

I have some questions for Dumpshock. In no particular order:

What is the character's Initiative attribute? She doesn't have a biological body, so no Reaction attribute. Is it just Matrix initiative? How many passes?

How much damage does an Akiyama inflict in unarmed combat, and how is this calculated?

Basically, any guidance would be appreciated.
_Pax._
Initiative: How many passes would she have if she were a Rigger, jumped-in to that drone? BEcause while piloting it ... essentially, that's what the AI is. Same for the Initiative attribute.

Unarmed: no clue, sorry.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
You use all the Dice Pools for a Jumped In Rigger, IIRC...
A Bipedal Drone has a Strength Stat = Body, also IIRC...

Does this help?
Udoshi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 7 2012, 01:19 PM) *
What is the character's Initiative attribute? She doesn't have a biological body, so no Reaction attribute. Is it just Matrix initiative? How many passes?

How much damage does an Akiyama inflict in unarmed combat, and how is this calculated?

1) This depends a lot on whether the AI has piloting origin or not.
If NO, then as usual for an automated drone - Response+pilot i think. The ai has a SEPERATE matrix initiative at any rate.
if Yes, then as jumped in rigger. Response+intuitin

2) Arsenal has a section on Attacks with mechanical limbs, right before the gear section. I wanna say its next to the tires on 105 or so.
Basically its calculated exactly like a regular dude, using Body as Strength, but it deals physical damage. As a side bonus, Handling is a bonus/penalty on these attacks.
Krishach
How did this person get an Akiyama? Unless the GM is customizing starting character availability, it is something they couldn't get. So, this is a GM approved "illegal" build right out the door. I'm surprised that hadn't come up.

Not to mention, the price tag of 250,000¥ leaves little to nothing left for actual programs, which are an AI's bread-and-butter.

Akiyama is going to actually be a hard one. Coupled with the fact they shouldn't be able to get it, and it costs too much for a starter char, it's also regulated, so your player is going to have trouble out the door, not even mentioning the AI part. I would strongly recommend an Otomo to start, and grab the Akiyama later, to be used as needed only.

Also, keep in mind, rules state that if the AI is physically residing in the body, that it's response/system increase, BUT, if the data-storage on the drone gets nailed, your AI is dead. I played an AI once, and I refused to go anywhere near to residing in a drone. I did it all by remote, via Command program. If you want to "jump in" to the drone, like a rigger, you WANT the quality "Piloting Origin," RC pg 91, otherwise it's by the Command program, regardless of residence. This is either issuing remote commands, or remote piloting.

AI's that are program origin have Inherent Programs, which IMO is one of their greatest advantages. Ghost in the Machine, which it sounds like you are going for, do not get inherent programs for free. This is a significant disadvantage.

On to the answers: Tymeaus Jalynsfein is correct, the Strength stat is equal to body for all drones that do not list a strength.
Initiative: RC pg 89, 1st paragraph
The dice pools: for "Piloting Origin" you use the Rigger table, SR4A pg 247
Dice pool for "Command" is also there, but you don't have to "jump in" if you are using Command program.

Akiyama unarmed damage is computed just as for standard character, using the strength as above.

Piloting Origin only changes initiative if you are "jumped in," exactly like it does for a rigger. Again, see RC pg 89

Again, I'd like to restress that IMO she'd be a lot better off, and more RAW appropriate, getting an Otomo to start. Unless you have severely bent the rules to allow it, it's not available to RAW, and costs more than a starting hacker should invest in one drone. Just my opinion.
UmaroVI
An AI without Piloting Origin cannot jump in. The only way for it to pilot a drone is via remote control (even if it is in the drone's node). It uses matrix initiative (which would be the response of the node the AI itself is running in, plus the AIs initiative) and have 3 IPs. They follow the same rules as any other remote-control rigger.

AIs with Piloting Origin can, if they so choose, work as above, or may jump in. Their initiative doesn't change (note that what matters for initiative is the Response of the node the AI is running in, not the Response of the drone, although they might be the same) but many of their dice pools do.

As stated, Ghost in the Machine is terrible, terrible shaftings for all AIs, and Piloting Origin is full of win and awesome if your goal is to be good at rigging, or really even if it isn't (other AIs might just have other qualities they want more, and you can only get 35 points).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012